Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Aw, I was just coming here to post this. (I saw it on Contractor Talk but I think it's been posted on Reddit now) Everyone interested in construction needs to go and marvel at the pics, they're truly amazing. It's like this guy has seen a picture of framing once and decided to construct the entire shed from memory. And he also doesn't appear to own a saw so things are slapped up where they might fit. I hope the OP keep updating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Holy hell :stare: Reading this thread makes me never want to own property. If you buy something older, it's probably full of tiny death/poop traps. If you buy a new one, it's probably cheaply made AND could still be full of deathtraps. If you have your own built, you have to breathe down the neck of every guy who comes through there to keep them from doing dumb poo poo. This is probably too far off topic but how the hell do you find a good contractor/inspector?

I get referrals from friends but half the time they don't know what to look for either. The guy that did my inspection when I bought my house seemed pretty competent (and steered me away from a different house that had some major problems) but missed that none of my bathroom plumbing had traps (that weird smell? sewer gas). When I hired someone to put in a new exterior door for me (not replace an existing, frame a whole new opening), I wound up firing them when a quick google check revealed that they had no idea what they were doing and the framing was completely wrong.

Recently, I've been taking classes at the local community college in woodworking and building construction technology (siding, framing, drywall, etc) so I know what to look for. Most of the guys in my classes are nice guys (mostly ex-military) but the prevailing attitude is "can't see it from my house". I don't think they'd intentionally screw someone over but they'd do a sloppy job to get it done faster. I don't trust anyone anymore.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby
I found these pics via a blog post.

Something looks off here:

Beyond that this is all obviously unpermitted work, Austin has a "heritage trees" ordinance that's really strict about not building within a certain distance of trees over a certain trunk size. This whole thing is probably a tear down and you wouldn't be permitted to remove the tree and rebuild in the same location which might make the lot undevelopable.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Munin posted:

On a different note, I came across this and it definitely belongs here:

Eh, I haven't read the whole blog but that's the gable end, those 2x4s are there so you have something to nail the siding to, they don't really carry any load.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

kastein posted:

Honestly, I just cut back till I run out of insect damage, then continue till I run out of water damage, then cut a little more for good measure and that's that.

or to the nearest convenient spot, whichever comes second. Lumber is cheap compared to having to do it all again. Hell, I only paid 27 bucks each for the new joists for the master bedroom floor, which really isn't much considering what it would have cost to have it done professionally.

e: that reminds me. I am doing a steel tension rod based cathedral ceiling in the master bedroom. To avoid it ending up in this thread, where do I buy the rods precut to the right lengths and prethreaded at the ends without breaking the bank? I'm thinking maybe mcmaster, but not sure. I don't know exactly what size I'm going to need, but keep in mind that the current rafters at the bottom of the A-frame are 1x6 or so and held onto the rafters for the sloped portion of the roof with maybe 4-5 medium old style stamped nails each. My SWAG is that 1/2" diameter should be fine, or maybe 3/4" just because 1/2" looks spindly.

Also, how would you go about attaching them to the rafters at each end? I'm sure a piece of 1/4" wall angle stock cut as an L-bracket at each end would work, but it doesn't make me comfortable, I'm thinking 1/4" or 3/8" plate bent into C-brackets that wrap around both sides of the rafters and have a hole in the middle of the "C" for the tension rod to go through would be better. Possibly with some gusseting to keep the middle of the C from pulling into more of a <= shape.

I'm sure I am way overthinking this, but I'm going for both aesthetics and overbuilt strength, so the bare minimum won't really fit. I'd consider something that involves the least welding and the most drilling/cutting for the most finished appearance to be the best design.

I'll just throw this out there, I was at a meeting hall that had this construction with some firefighters and they said they are scared to death of that type of construction. It tends to fail catastrophically in a fire, collapsing the roof and killing firefighters.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby
Semi-relevant: I thought this video showing a burn test between a wood truss roof and a conventionally framed roof was pretty impressive. You can see how the truss fails catastrophically by coming apart when the gusset plates melt. By comparison, the stick framed roof doesn't fail until the members start to burn through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo5ZtBXJiHo

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Nitrox posted:

Support your deck UNDER the floor boards, not outside perimeter.

That is exactly why the required pedestrians loads for design are so high, 100 psf for commercial use. The news report said 24 people where involved, if it's 23 in the group posing and they average 150 a person, that's 3500 lb in a really concentrated area.

The live load for residential decks is only 40 psf, think of that the next time you have a large group over for a party.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Remulak posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Chicago_balcony_collapse

When I lived in these kinds of places in Chicago in the 80's/90's, everybody knew that it wasn't quite right to have that many people on porches, but did it anyway, because it's nice outside, and it's a party.

But drat, it was a massacre.

Yeah, we had a bad balcony collapse in Austin a few years back; no one died but a bunch were injured. Here's a pic:

If you can't figure it out, you're looking at the bottom of the balcony. Basically it was just attached to the wall with screws, no lag bolts through the ledger board, and it just popped off the wall and flipped over.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Bad Munki posted:

:stare:

Please tell me someone lost their license for that.

I honestly can't remember what the outcome of that case was although I know building permits hadn't been pulled. It was a condo owned as a rental by an absentee landlord but I don't know if he was held responsible or if they even found the builder to go after him.

Here's another Austin one that is taught as a liability test case:

Pretty new balcony, even has some supports and isn't simply cantilevered.

But wait, it still fell?

:doh:

This was designed by a locally famous architect. He correctly spec'd lag bolts, the builder used 3 1/2" nails. However, locally famous architect took an extra fee to to help the owners guard against "defects and deficiencies." He claims that he was just there to make sure the building generally looked right, not to actually inspect construction. The owners said WTF, that's not what we thought we were paying you for. Architect was found to be 10% liable in a lawsuit by the woman that was paralyzed for life by the collapse. (long article)

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby
I think they're probably concrete tiles which aren't nailed in, just laid out. The weight is fine to keep them down.

But, yeah, some rebar in the column would've helped.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby
From the schadenfreude thread:

No way this was anywhere close to code tho' at first I thought it was all timber, looking closely the arch is maybe rolled steel? So maybe it was the anchoring that failed, not the member.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I probably should have posted my last workshop-design question here instead of in the "Fix it fast" thread, oh well. Anyway, got the soffits worked out for my workshop plans, and now I'm trying to figure out how the overhangs at the ends of the building should work. Here's what I have right now:

Front view:

Side view, with rafters and ridge beam:

The ridge beam extends 2' beyond the wall, so it needs an extension of the sheathing to enclose it. In the front view, the top triangles are sheathing that covers part of the varge rafters and the ridge beam; between the 16"-tall ridge beam and the 2x8 rafters, that sheathing is about 2' tall. Below the ridge beam, there's a sheet of sheathing parallel to the ground, that returns the sheathing system to the wall. Then it's just normal sheathing as usual for the rest of the wall -- except for those "wings" on the ends, which cap off the soffits. I have 2x2s in the plans (not shown in these images) for the sheathing to be nailed to, so it's supported on all edges.

Does this make sense? It's a lot of customized plywood shapes, which I imagine isn't going to be a lot of fun to install, but I'm unclear on how to handle this without running into that problem.

I'm unclear if you're question is about the outriggers that support the overhang or the bird boxes at the soffits.

The barge rafter (end rafter on a gable roof) is usually supported by 2x4s (either vertically or horizontally depending on overhang depth) that run over the gable end and are attached to the first rafter past the gable end and bird boxes give the soffit something to be nailed to. Bird boxes and outriggers are pretty standard roof framing, you might pick up a basic framing book for details.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

krysmopompas posted:

There may be a trap under the concrete, since this was once upon a time a shower/restroom area for a factory, and the builder was probably lazy and reused the existing plumbing. However it stinks like sewer gas, but that might be because it's been vacant for over a year and all the water has evaporated.

I'm capping it off regardless since a 1k sqft place for 2 people doesn't need 2 full bathrooms.

My house was built in 1925 as a working man's shack: 20x20 box, four rooms and as far as I can tell no plumbing. The only bathroom is a 10x10 addition off to the side with a roof that slopes down to six feet. When I moved in (and before I learned much about construction), I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get rid of that that horrible smell. Sure enough, nothing in this house has traps. I've had one added to the tub and replaced all the bathroom plumbing with PEX.

My house has all sorts of crappy construction I should document. It was actually maintained pretty well for most of it's history but then the flipper I bought it from got a hold of it. On the inside, he never met a problem quarter round couldn't solve. To add a bedroom, he closed in the garage, put in a floor which is supported but 4x4's resting on the slab, and ran the T1-11 siding down to the dirt. Then he trimmed out the exterior with MDF which is starting to swell.

I rip it off as it looks bad but I really need to replace all the siding which is old T1-11 over brittle board and batten. Or very old vinyl on the gables. But while I'm doing that I should also replace the windows which are single paned aluminum from the 70s. And maybe get the foundation which is cinder blocks and shims replaced. And fix the skirting which is a combination of cement backer board and hardie soffit. At least the 50+ year old metal roof is still good. (:no jinx:)

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Motronic posted:

There's probably no reason to remove the T1-11. Just cut it up from the ground as appropriate and leave the rest to use it as your sheathing. It's just plywood with grooves in it....so no need to start from scratch. Just put some housewrap over it and add new siding.

I've considered it although some of the T1-11 is a little rotten at the bottom. And the old board and batten is really crispy. I want to restore the house to board and batten and it'll mean really thick walls: board & batten, felt, T1-11, wrap, furring strips, new boards. But if I'm doing windows and the front door at the same time, I can adjust the trim too.

I've spent the weekend reframing an opening for a new wall a/c and here's a pic of the inside of the wall. (the old a/c had dripped into the wall so I tore out the damp drywall and insulation) Doing anything to old houses always takes four times as long as it should, nothing is standard and everything was cobbled together with an assortment of screws and nails.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby
You guys will enjoy this thread: http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49785 Found it when I was looking for tips on building my garage. Craftsman style garage with an apartment above, lots of great construction photos.

And I wish I had pics of my woodshop teacher's workshop/house. It's out in the Hill Country of Central Texas and he built it entirelly himself. The workshop is below and he built a two bedroom living space above for him and his family. The floor in his bedroom is recycled hard maple from an old gym floor and he used birds eye maple for the stairs. The kitchen cabinets are solid wood, furniture grade as is the plank ceiling. He never got around to finished the other floors which are still plywood but it totally works in the space. You can see a little of the shop on his website: http://www.michaelcolca.com/ (that's his deck in the front page photo)

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Nitrox posted:

What a minimum effort job. They are relying on paint and caulk to keep water out of joints and wood surfaces. Metal roof plates directly on plywood. Non vented soffits and all around. And why they poured the concrete floors after painting the walls? Also, metal roof panel wainscoting, lol. Didn't see a single picture as to where main plumbing drain is connected to, it's sure not visible in any foundation build photos. I see a total of zero permit stickers anywhere. Sorry if some of those issues were explained, I skimmed most of the text.

Electric, woodwork and floors are goddamn gorgeous. And $43,515 with half the labor done by yourself is a steal.

With regards to the roof, are you talking about the apparent lack of felt or the lack of purlins? I think he's using a synthetic underlayment instead of tar paper and I didn't think you needed purlins if you used plywood decking, only if you didn't or were installing over an existing roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby
Do you know exactly where your property lines are? I couldn't find my markers and wound up just paying a surveyor to mark the setbacks for me. Added a bit to my budget but I didn't have too worry about an expensive bust. Also, my concrete guy was the one to worry about height from grade, I just gave him the plans.