Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dragyn posted:

House didn't murder me today. Hooray!
Obviously you don't live in Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I love how he lays like 20 blocks in a row, and when he gets to that steel support bar, he's exactly the right length to fit in his block up against it. The pink line is keeping him straight in one direction, but there's nothing stopping him from over- or under-spacing the blocks as he goes, except for his experience and attention to detail both of which are impressive as hell.
It's always a pleasant feeling to watch someone who is really good at their job.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

A friend posted this to facebook, I have my opinion, but I wanted to hear yours before I taint the sample.
That was entertaining. I'm not sure if I'd want to live in a house like that, but he's a pretty funny talker and he has some good points about waste and the lack of recycling in construction.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:stonk: Do people just never clean their toilet? And how hard is it to just take the empty loo roll with you when you leave the bathroom and toss it in the garbage?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:10bux: says it's either a grow op or a buttcoin miner. Both are keen on stealing electricity.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

kastein posted:

You are all amateurs, murderholes need a smooth stainless floor dished toward the center. Cleanup? Swab everything toward the middle with bleach then flush what collects with more bleach.
I used to do IT for a medical r&d company, and they had a few rooms exactly like this. Tile walls and a slightly sloping tiled floor towards a center drain. With a huge stainless table and a winch in the ceiling above it.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 2, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

I recall reading an article where some medieval castles were for sale for--by rich people standards--quite cheap. It quickly became obvious that the problem with those places really is maintenance.
Not even by rich people standards. France has lots of smaller castles ("chateaus") for sale that in terms of cost/area are cheaper than an average house. They cost a fortune in upkeep though, and many of them are marked as historical buildings so you're very limited in how you're allowed to remodel.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I keep saying that material science is the key to our future. :allears:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dillbag posted:

Here's some hilarious content from the Vancouver thread.

quote:

Certain work done without permits. Being SOLD As is
You don't say. :allears:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Found on imgur:

"Oops"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Zhentar posted:

Arc faults on bedroom circuits are nowhere near one of the most common causes of house fires - less than 2%, maybe even less than 1%.
What's the most common? I'm going to guess either smoking in bed or forgetting things on the stove.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I like how he's taken his arrow-drawing lessons from John Madden.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the under-stairs dog home seems like a cool idea, but it seems like an incredible pain in the rear end to get in there to clean it fully.
I assume the other side of it has a door.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Although on a related note, I think I at least understand the potential appeal of the 'no glass to clean' statement for the walk-in shower. I can only assume most people who want and are able to strip out their bathroom and install a large walk-in shower area in the first place are probably more likely to be concerned about appearances than dumb broke poors like myself, and it's a lot easier to get an acceptable finish on ceramic than glass while cleaning, even if it is much more prone to mold.
It's also a space issue. Where I live walk-in showers have become the norm in small apartments because you can make a small bathroom feel much larger when you don't have dividing walls. I don't even have a shower curtain, because the entire bathroom is tiled and there are no electrical outlets, so a bit of splashing isn't a problem.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What in the actual gently caress is going on there?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

idgi, they were upset because they got assigned a specific spot?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Caves: Not as cool as launch silos.
I remember first seeing that when I was in high school about 20 years ago. I wonder if they've ever had a serious offer on it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Other threads have taught me that people who live in a flyover state get upset when you call it a flyover state.

But yeah, that silohome has a personal air strip not because it's neat, but because it's the only practical way to get there.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nice rats nest there buddy.

Source: http://imgur.com/gallery/4bfjb

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Redeye Flight posted:

-Why did someone wire the lightswitch for the downstairs bathroom to be OUTSIDE the bathroom?
This isn't uncommon in old houses, mine (built 1904) has the lightswitch outside the bathroom too. I don't have any good explanation for it, but there's probably a good historical reason.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Hoodwinked house you mean? Still fixing poo poo.

He's also become a crusader against unlicensed contractors:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsdRjR6oK4Q

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

kizudarake posted:

His last post. The inspector told the fuckers who called him, and they killed him. That's why he's posted nothing in more than two weeks.
Source?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Especially because he's got this giant loving web page about what a worthless piece of poo poo his house is. Even after he fixes it up to where he can live in it, who's going to buy a house where an internet search shows you dozens of pages about what a worthless piece of poo poo it used to be?
On the up side he'll have plenty of documentation to hand over.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:stonk: Someone's going to kill themselves with that.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A buzz on the line.

(Found on facebook)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

For some reason they refused to renew my lease the next year. v:v:v
Because now that it's been "remodeled" they can have some other sucker pay a higher rent for it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Backov posted:

It's almost like no one read the thread to see just what amazing, well thought out work he did.

quote:

Pairs of [battery] modules will be connected in series for 44.4V nominal @ 235Ah.
Sets of these pairs will be linked in parallel and connected to 3000A copper bus bars. This is for charge and load balancing. A 300A fuse will be on each pair of modules.
The total capacity of the battery bank will be approximately 3,670Ah @ 44.4V, or 167kWh.
:magical:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

FCKGW posted:

This guy is possibly the most annoying person on YouTube but if you put it on silent you can see this guys amazing Bitcoin mining shed. Gaze upon the power extension cord hanging from the second story air conditioner and through several puddles, pushing an obviously higher load than rated for. Marvel at the single 120mm computer case fan cooling the entire operation, a fan exposed to the elements and letting rain inside on a frequent basis.
Guy looks exactly like I imagine a bitcoin cultist would. I bet he owns a fedora too.

My favorite part is the tiny computer fan in the wall.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

flosofl posted:

We have some offices out in Asia-land. And it's less "not getting paid to tell..." and more "I better keep my head down and not say anything or I'll get reprimanded or fired". This seems to be more of a management philosophy than anything.
That's the impression I've gotten as well. (East) asian workplaces appear to have a very distinct career pyramid and questioning your superior in any way is a huge faux pas.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Its a power plant.
:rimshot:

Does Cambodia even have a electrical code?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I saw a toilet seat which had a similar idea, except instead of a sink it was a plant pot on top, and whenever the tank refilled a small part of the water would pass over the soil and keep it moist.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ductonius posted:

The maintenance guys constantly curse EVERYONE who has worked on the plant in the last sixty years because NOBODY has give one flying gently caress to do anything right.
It's me, I'm the maintenance guy. Except this is in IT for a major international bank. :suicide:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

PSWII60 posted:

Next fun thing I found out when we tried to put shelves up around the upper perimeter of some of the rooms for books/games/movies and such. We measured the shelves to be level, but some books wouldn't fit on one end of the shelf while they'd have 2" of clearance on the other side. So we checked the walls and discovered there is not a single 90 degree angle in the entirety of the house.
To be fair you should never assume your walls are at right angles. Always measure both sides.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The coupon on the fridge is expired.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

OHSA.jpg

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I thought I was in the PYF Dangerous Chemicals thread or PYF Failed and Obsolete Technology for a bit. They both tend to veer into discussions like this occasionally.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And built from driftwood, by the looks of it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

philips head screws should be illegal.

edit: along with JIS and pozidriv.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A mention of that was what sparked (:haw:) the water-heating discussion in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

LonsomeSon posted:

e: I can't wait to see what kind of poo poo clickbait articles say five years from now!
You know clickhole is a parody, right?