Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Dillbag posted:

Same thing happened a few years ago with an elder/end of life hospice opening up near a few residential buildings in a primarily Asian neighbourhood in Vancouver. I'm mixed Chinese and I'm pretty convinced these days that it's just an excuse so the property owners can save face by appearing to be silly superstitious folk when they're really just greedy, insensitive, ageist assholes who are only concerned about their property values.

Why not both! :v:

Only half joking. Old folks and ghosts both represent mortality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
There's a few new developments of high rise where I live funded by Chinese buyers. The oddest thing I heard is them wanting to skip every level with a 4 in it turning them into dual level apartments, mechanical floors or just renaming the http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraphobia

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ages ago when we were young international students I had to help an acquaintance move out because she was convinced the place was haunted after she had an episode of sleep paralysis and spooky mysterious music (what, thin walled apartments? What's that?) She and the housemate fled to stay elsewhere after only living in the place for a few weeks and I had to accompany them back there. :v:

Of course I hid in a closet and leapt out going OOGA BOOGA when we were there packing up.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Babygravy posted:

There's a few new developments of high rise where I live funded by Chinese buyers. The oddest thing I heard is them wanting to skip every level with a 4 in it turning them into dual level apartments, mechanical floors or just renaming the http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraphobia

I suppose that isn't too odd. I have been in some older high rises that skipped floor 13.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cross-posting from OSHA.jpg thread
Goon found a hidden staircase behind a wall in his apartment.

Moneyshot:

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

kid sinister posted:

I suppose that isn't too odd. I have been in some older high rises that skipped floor 13.

As I wrote that post I remebered I live on the 13th floor... Send help, I'll be in the closet with a gun.

If the house is old enough to have servants stairways then it probably pre dates construction codes

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Babygravy posted:

If the house is old enough to have servants stairways then it probably pre dates construction codes

The things I could show you...

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Babygravy posted:

In Cantonese (and Mandarin, I think) the number 4 sounds like the word for death and the number 8 sounds like the word for wealth. Hence no 4th floor or Chinese driving cars with 4 in the license plate, but any number of Happy Golden Lucky 888 Produce Delivery trucks on the road.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Slanderer posted:

:catstare:

Is that yours? Are you a ghost?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

MrYenko posted:

:catstare:

Is that yours? Are you a ghost?

Yup, same house as the SECRET STAIRCASE. The house was probably really nice a long time ago, but now it's layers upon layers of unlicensed handyman work.

The rent is pretty affordable though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Slanderer posted:

Yup, same house as the SECRET STAIRCASE. The house was probably really nice a long time ago, but now it's layers upon layers of unlicensed handyman work.

The rent is pretty affordable though.

It had better be, since your chances of dying in an electrical fire are probably now up near one in five.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
RENTERS INSURANCE. NOW

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Nitrox posted:

RENTERS INSURANCE. NOW

Way ahead of you :cool:

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.

djhaloeight posted:

OK here's the weirdo free electricity I don't know what:

Click for gigantic:

Looks pretty unprofessional to me. Not pictured it where it enters the house with a bunch of expanding foam sticking out of the rough hewn hole.

*edit*
That's a piece of cardboard in the box where the meter would go.

So this little saga came to an end today. I had reported them to the electric co a few weeks ago. Today they had a meter put on by the electric company.. :confused:
I guess the hack amateur pole drop is ok...don't know if they were fined or whatever for having an illegal hookup for how long they did.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Slanderer posted:

At first I thought it was an old dumb waiter, but then drat. That's some top tier handiwork.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Babygravy posted:

At first I thought it was an old dumb waiter, but then drat. That's some top tier handiwork.

I thought "oh hey, dumbwaiter. But why post it here? I mean sure it's painted over, but... hmm wait I remember something like that door from my grandma's 350-year-old farmhouse, gently caress that's an ancient chimney and it's going to be filled with a nearly lighter-than-air mix of rockwool, asbestos, vermiculite, and down feathers that just sloughs everywhere when he opens the door."

But no, this is even better. The two sides look like vines slowly trying to mate with their opposites in moments of sparking, arcing fiery passion.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Did you not see these problems in the initial inspection or is it just not really an issue?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 21 minutes!

This looks safe

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Touch it for a fun surprise!

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Hey all, I finally read the entire thread, woo :toot:. I work as a structural engineer on high-hazard industrial facilities, though I've also worked on some commercial projects previously, so I have a few stories of non-residential construction. So these are some tales of my work, which, keep in mind, is supposed to be of the highest quality control, with the best people, and the smartest engineering design.

Always make sure your drafters can be trusted

At one facility a colleague worked at he had prepared drawings for a large steel waste drum, designed within 1/8" tolerances to fit through the loading dock door, as specified by the client. He checked, rechecked, triple-checked, and every measurement was right. He sent it off to the drafter and it was out of his hands. He's a thorough guy though so he runs the fabrication drawings by his desk before they get submitted, and finds the drafter rounded every measurement to the nearest inch. Basically, when asked for an explanation he explained who would want anything in 1/4" increments?

Concrete Placement Faux Pas: When not to place

A very large, fantastically complicated project had a lot of attention in the media and they decided to have the first placement of concrete, over 100 cubic yards as I recall, so a ton of important types got together with news crews. This was all real fun and games, except the temperature was over 105F (~41 Celsius). Hot-weather concreting is tough at 95, let alone 105, and they were not equipped with liquid nitrogen or ice to mix. Naturally, they had to make the placement with everyone there, but when inevitably it cured and was covered in shrinkage cracks, they had to tear the whole thing up a few weeks later....

Concrete Placement Faux Pas: When to vibrate your concrete

Another project, this time pretty far along. Most of the placements were made in the fall and spring, but it was chillier often than normal, and workers were not fond of using the concrete vibrators out in the cold, especially when it rained. The steel reinforcement was really closely spaced so this was particularly important. Naturally, when they pulled off the forms...the entire roof of one section, over 2 feet thick, had set resting on top of the second layer of bottom reinforcement, with the bottom-most reinforcement dangling uselessly beneath that. The entire building was full of voids as big as my arm hidden inside the walls and full Non-Destructive Examinations were needed to identify everything.

I have a ton more of these stories but if maybe people are interested I can share a few (scrubbed of parties involved, of course, since I have a nice network of engineers at other places I also get roped in to hear about).

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Blindeye posted:

Always make sure your drafters can be trusted

At one facility a colleague worked at he had prepared drawings for a large steel waste drum, designed within 1/8" tolerances to fit through the loading dock door, as specified by the client. He checked, rechecked, triple-checked, and every measurement was right. He sent it off to the drafter and it was out of his hands. He's a thorough guy though so he runs the fabrication drawings by his desk before they get submitted, and finds the drafter rounded every measurement to the nearest inch. Basically, when asked for an explanation he explained who would want anything in 1/4" increments?

If a drafter knew all the tolerancing and what dimensions were important they'd be an engineer. If you don't explicitly tell your drafters what to do they're not the stupid ones if it comes out wrong.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Does someone have the link to the OSHA.gif thread that was in GBS? I can't seem to track it down.

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007
(I'd post this in the OSHA thread but I can't find it) Somebody managed to one up the pool in the basement photo. Hopefully the building they did that in was built to code!

I don't have any more info, it's from reddit and that thread is 100% "lol russia".

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Chemmy posted:

If a drafter knew all the tolerancing and what dimensions were important they'd be an engineer. If you don't explicitly tell your drafters what to do they're not the stupid ones if it comes out wrong.

He received AutoCAD files and hand drawings, clearly labeled to the exact dimensions, including the tolerances. He changed the tolerances because he thought fractional inches was too much work. I don't even know.

Generally every design office I've worked with and reviewed requires drafters to replicate engineering instructions exactly, not to make modifications without informing engineering. Of course, there is also a tendency in some companies to overwork their drafters unnecessarily.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

JPrime posted:

Does someone have the link to the OSHA.gif thread that was in GBS? I can't seem to track it down.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633652

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Blindeye posted:

He changed the tolerances because he thought fractional inches was too much work. I don't even know.

Fire him.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Blindeye posted:

He received AutoCAD files and hand drawings, clearly labeled to the exact dimensions, including the tolerances. He changed the tolerances because he thought fractional inches was too much work. I don't even know.

Generally every design office I've worked with and reviewed requires drafters to replicate engineering instructions exactly, not to make modifications without informing engineering. Of course, there is also a tendency in some companies to overwork their drafters unnecessarily.

Do you have any DIYers who design a house and want it done that way, except something is horribly wrong with it?

Granted, I want to do a draft of a house, and I know enough to do it, but it is also with the understanding that the actual drafter will go lol and do the actual work using my draft as reference.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Blindeye posted:

This is why checking exists? Somebody was probably annoyed at the guy the week before for putting pointlessly precise dimensions on a drawing and he figured he was helping out.

This is a quick markup on the checkprint and a ten second conversation, not a post on the internet thing.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Jamus posted:

(I'd post this in the OSHA thread but I can't find it) Somebody managed to one up the pool in the basement photo. Hopefully the building they did that in was built to code!

I don't have any more info, it's from reddit and that thread is 100% "lol russia".

The first thing that popped into my head when I saw the fist shot was "must be Russia". I'm glad I was not disappointed.

Here's some hilarious content from the Vancouver thread.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Blindeye posted:

Use metric units in your drafting. So much easier to tell if people are fudging it. Use metric anyway, superior :D

But yes fire him, that sort of poo poo at a mechanical level causes so much financial loss if not caught before fabrication.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dillbag posted:

Here's some hilarious content from the Vancouver thread.

quote:

Certain work done without permits. Being SOLD As is
You don't say. :allears:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

SubCrid TC posted:

This is why checking exists? Somebody was probably annoyed at the guy the week before for putting pointlessly precise dimensions on a drawing and he figured he was helping out.

This is a quick markup on the checkprint and a ten second conversation, not a post on the internet thing.

Typically once engineering drawings are created it's supposed to be out of our hands, and that the drafters should be checking their work before going out the door. My colleague requesting the final drawings was actually not part of standard procedures because at that point it should have been checked several times.

Babygravy posted:

Use metric units in your drafting. So much easier to tell if people are fudging it. Use metric anyway, superior :D

But yes fire him, that sort of poo poo at a mechanical level causes so much financial loss if not caught before fabrication.

This is tough; US building codes still use Imperial so especially for welding details in steel construction it would get very awkward.

Dante Logos posted:

Do you have any DIYers who design a house and want it done that way, except something is horribly wrong with it?

Granted, I want to do a draft of a house, and I know enough to do it, but it is also with the understanding that the actual drafter will go lol and do the actual work using my draft as reference.

When I worked for architects and smaller firms there was some DIY stuff coming in, but not much. Typically if we're stamping drawings we'll require that the work is done professionally. However, I was called in by an architect on a stop work order put in for someone's illegal DIY/unlicensed contractor addition to his 10 million dollar NYC brownstone. Among the things we noted were that in places in the chimney, rebar was being used as small beams to hold up a wythe of brick as their chimney tapered in. They had staged all their construction equipment on the roof of the unfinished edition, which then had major water ponding, and had buckled the cold formed steel joists across two of the three walls of the addition, and that there was no vapor barrier between the brick exterior and their joists. They also I believe had installed a steel lintel for a massive bay window (full height and about eight feet wide) inside the brick exterior rather than the stud wall, probably because there was no planning whatsoever involved with this. This guy was beyond rich. You have a 5 story home on the lower east side you share with one kid with a backyard and rooftop garden, and you needed that extra 700 square feet of floor space? Even so, you needed to do it illegally?

That isn't to say we don't get strange requests. Off-hand, here are a few that crossed my desk:

Someone requested a large sunken-floor bathroom with hot tub be converted to an office, some walls moved around, and the bathroom moved next door. However, he wanted the shower stall to be glass on 4 sides and have a wood panel be able to open in the office side so he can watch someone as they shower.

A lot of people wanting ungodly open floor plans in houses not meant to be that way, which we politely would push back on.

You get the occasional person who has been overzealous with a sump pump and managed to crack his foundation walls. One house had four randomly installed sump pumps. It also had a kitchen installed illegally in the attic for their grown kid....

Architects gently caress things up in requests to engineering as well, to be fair to DIY people. One mistake I've had to actually draw pictures for them to explain is that floor to ceiling height clearances have to account for the depth of the beams and mechanical equipment. Many architects seem to assume there's some Nth dimensional portal where the beams and ducts go and that floors have zero thickness. We once were contracted for a new entrance canopy under an cantilevered section of a building. They insisted on dimensions that were two to three feet too tall, and refused to budge. In the end we had to create an incredibly awkward L-shaped canopy to skirt the parts that interfered. Probably quadrupled the fabrication and design costs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Blindeye posted:

However, he wanted the shower stall to be glass on 4 sides and have a wood panel be able to open in the office side so he can watch someone as they shower.

Oh god I feel unclean now.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Hey I guess if they sang yo pay for it... But designing that for a client and having your name attached to it as it hits some smut website would be horrible. Or hilarious..

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Babygravy posted:

Hey I guess if they sang yo pay for it... But designing that for a client and having your name attached to it as it hits some smut website would be horrible. Or hilarious..

Not my name on the drawings. Dude claimed he wanted to pop open that panel and watch his wife, and it wasn't like it was a two-way mirror or something so he couldn't hide. Still...especially for a summer job out of high school...I was not exactly excited to work on that.

vv God dammit I am cracking up here. Rich fucker's creep offices should not be so drat funny.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 31, 2014

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

SynthOrange posted:

Oh god I feel unclean now.

Why don't you take a shower?

I'll be 'working' in my office next door.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
I've been reading this thread nonstop since it was linked on the OSHA thread. Makes me worry about the place I'm currently staying.

I'll post pictures when I get home but the property has

A "shed" structure in the back that has a 5 foot hole in the back of the roof. One of the walls actually bows out on one side quite a it and I think has pulled away from the studs; I don't go back there but it's definitely curvilinear in shape. The ceiling joists are rotten; I still use the front part of the shed and was going to hang my kayak up. I got to set the nail and, with only the slightest pressure, it pokes right through. Also, airsoft pellets poke right through the back wall.

I don't have anything valuable in there, just use it to store stuff and keep the lawnmower but I'm waiting one day to wake up to the inevitable crashing sound of it collapsing. It is also electrified and had a sink at one point; I'm scared to even think about the wiring.

I'm thinking the property was built back in the 20s or so; it used to have one of those old floor heaters and has a built in wall sconce for a telephone. I think the wiring is contemporary. It has a fuse box, something I'd never seen in my life before. At least one outlet doesn't appear to work at all, and another in one of the bedrooms makes the wall get really hot when you use it. I don't. There is an outside outlet that, when I tried to use it, sparked at me.

The master bedroom has a lovely addition made as a favor to the owner by some dude that stayed there. It's a walk in closet, but it was carpeted with some lovely shag carpet that was already moldering. That got pulled up and I installed sticky tiles after scrubbing the walls from floor to ceiling and running the dehumidifier for a while.

Sad thing is I'm probably going to put an offer in on the place. The owner wants to sell it and structurally it's a solid house. The location is pretty much perfect for me, I can see where I work from the front door and having lived there for two years I go through about a tank of gas every month. It depends on what he's asking; there's a house up the road that's bigger and looks to be a little more cleaned up as far as "not burning down" and they're asking about 160k for it. It's been for sale for about four months.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Blindeye, I find dangerous industrial stuff to be very interesting, please tell us about the most dangerous or absurd thing to happen to the most dangerous or absurd industrial project you have worked on. Anybody round up to the nearest inch on a nuclear reactor? :allears:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Slanderer posted:

Hey guess what, I have some lovely news for you. I'll put ten bucks on that box insulator liner being made of some sort of asbestos composite. I would recommend closing it, carefully, and staying the gently caress away from it.

(oh, and it most definitely belongs in this thread, for multiple reasons)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

I'll put ten bucks on that box insulator liner being made of some sort of asbestos composite.

Oh poo poo, I hadn't look at the pictures in full screen before.

Yep, that looks a whole lot like asbestos firestopping.