Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
https://www.reddit.com/r/Whatcouldgowrong/comments/uzar7m/wcgw_by_grilling_next_to_your_siding/

Ah, memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Motronic posted:

I'm really sorry whatever that was didn't work for you, but it's hard to say what went wrong or needed to be done without knowing where you are in general. Different places (that have different low temperatures/frost lines) have wildly different requirement for things like this.

I thoroughly enjoy your posting so please don't take this as a dig, but apologizing for not being given enough information to provide unsolicited diagnosis/advice is just classic Motronic. Never change!

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
I live in Florida and my door opens outwards, but even if I lived in Canada I'd prefer it that way. I figure I have a lot more time to figure out snow than fire.

Motronic will probably explain it to us if we make enough annoyingly wrong guesses.

ComradePyro fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 13, 2023

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Loezi posted:

IIRC the Finnish "doors must open outwards" comes from a couple tragedies in something like the 1700s where people in a church panicked and tried to exit all at once, causing a crush at the inwards-opening doors. So it's an evacuation/fire safety thing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Hall_disaster

Bad Munki posted:

Doors open inward because of the coriolis effect. You’ll find they open outward in places like Australia.

Door opening direction is largely due to social norms that evolved from the rate of left-handedness. Pulling the door inwards is more natural for lefties, and given the creative tendencies of the sinistral members of humanity, they tend to design more buildings than those of us cursed with dexterity.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

We should probably set up an FAQ about this, given how regularly this gets discussed

The Nordic countries typically mandate outwards facing doors since the 1800s, after a number of incidents where dozens of people died in fires or stampedes in churches that had doors that opened inwards.

And no, our front doors can't be stolen off the house because the hinges have built-in jamb pins.

just wanna say thanks for trying to stop the inevitable intercontinental exchange of smug day 1 takes on door opening direction and accompanying inevitable hinge-based gotchas, you were doomed to fail but it was worth trying

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
I cemented my dryer in place so that it could feel my commitment to the renovation. I plan on shooting it full of .45 rounds if it breaks so that the next dryer knows the score. I am American and my house is built entirely from poorly-informed European snark, this material is sometimes called 'school shootings lmao'.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

A person trying to fix a thing watches a single helpful video of someone explaining and demonstrating the fix in situ, does the fix, and then turns off YouTube. A person who is watching for entertainment watches one video with a staged setup and wacky sound effects, then watches the entire drat channel.

The algorithm is biased towards keeping users on the site watching videos.

I watch a lot of video essays and my recommendations are 90% YouTube essays, people I subscribe to, and people I occasionally watch, despite the complete lack of wacky sound effects. I pretty much like this state of affairs.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

It's always hilarious when folks don't account for the fact that water weighs about eight pounds/gallon.

I had a loss once where there was a plumbing issue caused by a blockage in a lateral in a crawlspace. When the home was built (around 1980) apparently the plumber wasn't familiar with PVC waste piping. He installed hangers for a 4" line, about every ten feet, probably because the pipe was so light as compared to the cast-iron he was familiar with. Over the years, it sagged between the hangers, almost completely arresting flow and allowing material to accumulate.

post/username combo + I love when people call heinous poo poo amalgam "material"

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

My app still had it loaded, couldn’t save the actual image but it’d let me screenshot it:

Rube Goldberg wall

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

corgski posted:

The correct way to sister joists and rafters is in fact carriage bolts, or at least nails if you are only adding a single sister. Glue is not a structural fastener.

maybe I'm an idiot, but structural adhesives are definitely a thing, it seems fine to me. the glue will be stronger than the wood

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
every time one of her videos gets posted all the armchair engineers prophesy doom. I have no idea if what she's doing is safe, but I'm willing to bet she has a better idea than I do. I think she's great

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

ComradePyro posted:

every time one of her videos gets posted all the armchair engineers prophesy doom. I have no idea if what she's doing is safe, but I'm willing to bet she has a better idea than I do. I think she's great

two days. it took two days for this thread to turn back into the comments section of her tik toks.

please at least be funny or interesting when you deliver your prophesy, nobody cares about screenshots of dust. she is literally wearing a respirator in the screenshot. that's better than a lot of professional operations.

the tunnel is dumb in a cool way and we should all get over the dumb part so we can enjoy that it's also cool. rule of thumb: if she dies and your joke isn't funny anymore, it was never funny.

for fucks sake

ComradePyro fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 7, 2023

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
very brave and impressive thought, glad you shared

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

corgski posted:

and that's why you put your finger in a leaky dike and not your rear end in a top hat

among other reasons

you had no cause to speak of my mother in such a way and I won't forget this

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
I wonder how long it's been since somebody got leprosy from an armadillo. leprosy rates in armadillos is a startling piece of information: estimated to be as high as 20%

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
most people are in denial about climate change, even those who don't deny that it's happening. the market reflects this

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
I've lived in Florida my whole life and freely admit that enduring hurricanes has done nothing to increase my understanding of the science of hurricanes or how they are measured.

getting in a last word while decrying the idea of continuing the conversation is a silly thing to do

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
reminds me of home. chipboard denigrators will share a pit in hell with HoA bored members, my mother. and various other pearl clutchers

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I can see why some people might like the aesthetics of chipboard, but it's not for me.

I knew I liked you for a reason.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Nenonen posted:

On that note, let's not forget the confusion on a medicine known as mummia. Literal boner pills.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mummia

piss rear end fault us

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Isn't it BEDMAS?

Brackets, Exponent, Divide, Mulitply, Add, Subtract.

Fake edit, BEDMAS is a thing in Canada and NZ, but not in freedom land.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations#Mixed_division_and_multiplication

listen we're not asking for a lot here, it's not the imperial system. asking you to please excuse my dear aunt sally is a very simple request.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

The caption I saw was some aluminum siding blew loose in high winds and contacted a power line.

galvanic, galvanized. who's to say?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

His and Hers level: Jayne Mansfield

issa bidet

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

peanut posted:

Have you guys never left the US or something sometimes stone walls are old and crazy and awesome

I've always wondered this about Europeans: do you guys get sore arms from reaching for things to be smug at Americans about?

I would have to leave the continent to see a wall like that. it would cost several thousand dollars. most people only ever see the one continent.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No because we're loving swimming in them. Any other stupid-as-gently caress questions, English?

right, that's sort of why it confuses me. I'm going to flee my state later this year because my government wants to kill me, and like... you guys are smug about the reasons my life sucks because I live here and walls being old? bizarre energy

at some point, a lot of you guys missed the memo that doing this kind of thing went from punching up to punching down and it's uh. not a cute look to just browbeat people about it all the time. It's like playing basketball with kindergardeners and being smug about all the dunks you're landing. fish in a barrel, pal.

Isn't it kind of annoying when people say "Europeans" as though that was a valid way to talk about a hugely diverse group of people scattered across an entire continent? the US is roughly the same size as europe and it's annoying when you guys go "Americans" for the exact same reason.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
like if I swung in on a rope to screech "LOL EUROS JUST CAN'T RESIST HAVING LAND WARS" it would not be an epic burn, I would be making myself look like a gigantic rear end in a top hat. mystifying that it looks any different on your end when you do it

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Platystemon posted:

St. Augustine has cool walls.

I can't find a picture of this on google, but in (North Central, at least) Florida, when the water level in the rivers are low enough you can sometimes see where we got the idea to build walls out of it from!

The Castillo de San Marcos, a fort on the shore near St. Augustine, has walls made of coquina. According to a tour I went on in 4th grade, it was notorious for being impossibly tough, you can still see where cannon shots landed on the walls. The shells give it a much greater ability to absorb the energy of the impact, essentially acting like rebar in concrete and the crumple zone of your car.

for every inch of stone you make it through, you've created an inch of coquina's worth of powder between you and the next inch. instead of blowing a hole through a strong, brittle material you pulverized a small piece of softer material. I think modern composite armor does the same kinda thing, so if I'm right about that, the average fort wall was using the equivalent of WW2 steel tank armor and the Spaniards had the equivalent of modern composite ceramic plating.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
not an expert, but I've never let that keep me from speculating before: good rule of thumb with construction is that there should ideally be some kind of impermeable barrier and/or vertical travel between water and places it shouldn't be.

it's fine right now, but keeping the caulk maintained (yes I hear it too) just got a lot more important.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Sir_Lagsalot posted:

The crappy tiler pauses briefly to think. "Down is vertical travel" they announce, and resume their work.

well, that's what I get for deciding I didn't sound smart enough when I said "upwards"

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Nitrox posted:

What's a decorator?

person you pay to decorate your house, paint etc

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

canyoneer posted:

I won an xbox from the taco bell sweepstakes and it made the taco bell sound when you started it up

I'm so angry at you for this. You can't just walk around dropping a fact that renders everything in my life meaningless by comparison. It's not fair.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

mds2 posted:

I’m sure there is a more wrong way to do this but I can’t think of it.
Excited to bring this up again.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
Seems like a pretty simple fix, I'm sure nothing complicated will happen at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
Ah, gently caress. Tiny WW1 allegory it is then.