Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Javid posted:

A grey water tank to run the toilet is a good way to reuse shower water, if you can rig it.

Wouldn't your toilet get all... sudsy... when you flush?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SkunkDuster posted:

I don't understand German at all, so I thought that the wood went underneath and that throttle cable was a guard to keep you from hitting the blade from the top. After seeing it in action, it still seems like a pretty good idea overall.

If you put in a lot more safety features than this guy did and securely anchored it to something so it wouldn't fall off and go skittering away with its throttle held down then sure.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Well the houses themselves put off a ton of heat due to all the lamps so cops can fly around in helicopters with thermal imaging and check out which homes are glowing.

That's illegal without a warrant.

Cops still do it though, leading to hilarity like this: http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Raw_footage_from_KopBusters_first_sting_1207.html

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Stab-Loc coming back up made me check by new apartment's breaker for them and sure enough my breaker says Federal Pacific Stab-Lok on everything inside it and some of the levers have the red handles I'm seeing on google images. I live in an apartment, is there any way I can get them to replace this without letting them weasel out of it by hiring a shady electrician to say everything's fine?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

In that case anyone know a good renter's insurance company? I have a basic lovely plan with Geico and I assume they'd probably just drop me instantly if anything happened :smith:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Minarchist posted:

So after reading this thread, I checked my rented apartment's breaker panel. Guess what brand I got!

STAB-LOK

So should I mention it to the management company or just pray there isn't a power surge at some point? :ohdear:

Sup Stab-Lok apartment buddy, I just discovered my dangerous friend a few days ago :smith::hf::smith: Better yet, I just did a bunch of research and all the good renter's insurance companies refuse to insure me because I live in a "storm-prone area," hope you have better luck.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I live on the east coast of central Florida and we get hurricanes and severe thunderstorms plenty, but the building I'm in now hasn't even flooded in the 30+ years it's been here as far as the apartment manager and I know.

I've tried State Farm (just said "we can't cover you" with no reason), Allstate (same as State Farm except in a way more roundabout and cryptic way since their website was apparently broken), USAA ("You live in a severe thunderstorm prone area and we can't cover you because of that") and one other one I can't remember the name of (it was like Family Something Insurance I think) who just said "we don't service your area."

Geico covers my area but I've heard awful things about Geico weaseling out of claims and just generally being crappy. Admittedly this is a pretty small sample to be saying things like "all" the companies refuse but I was looking at companies that were rated highest in terms of coverage and customer satisfaction and I'm kinda annoyed. I mean you'd think that I'd just pay an extra "you're probably gonna die" fee to balance the fact that I live in Florida but apparently not.

If anyone has a company they like that I didn't try let me know, otherwise I guess I'll just go with Geico.

Also if my insurance chat is annoying I can take it elsewhere like A/T or something, let me know.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Try Travelers, but they own both USAA and Geico, so who knows what kinda results you'll have.

I enter my zip code and it just says "We're Sorry but we can't give you a quote", though the page does say I can call their agent and maybe get a quote that way unlike all the other ones. Progress I guess!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks for the insurance suggestions guys, I'll check out Security First Florida and if that doesn't work go with a local independent agent, really appreciate the help!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Archives posted:

Uhm, no you don't want the murder juices to leak DNA all over the public sewer system. Stainless steel checkerplate lined, all welded seams torture chambers are optimal.

Cover everything in plastic wrap so you can just wrap up all the evidence when you're done easy-peasy.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Gromit posted:

I've posted a couple of threads about it over the years, usually with amateur-hour MS-paint doodles, and I assume one is in the archives somewhere. Maybe I'll do an update with a few more amusing tales at some point.

Unfortunately the day-to-day is not very interesting, so it hinges on crazy goings-on at suspect's homes and the like. I'd love to write about the technical side of things (tools, techniques etc) but that's pretty dull to most people.

You're on a website where people sent a thread about traffic engineering in Ask/Tell to like 500+ pages, I think boring crime scene processing procedure would be right up our alley :)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

What if you dipped the steel beam in molten copper?

With the price of copper these days I get the feeling that stainless would be cheaper at that point.

Also you'd probably wind up with some kind of dissimilar metals galvanic malarkey that would dissolve it anyway, but I'm not positive on that one.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Amykinz posted:

Yeah, I've been zapped by different stuff, but I don't tell people that "I was zapped by A/C power working on that radio", I just tell them I got zapped. It was just another idea, I've seen seasoned techs forget to discharge stuff before working on it and it's a common enough mistake.

As someone who has accidentally electrocuted themselves on several different kinds of signal let me tell you how the refined notes of a well-aged AC shock compares to the cheap swill that is a capacitor discharge.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Blindeye, I find dangerous industrial stuff to be very interesting, please tell us about the most dangerous or absurd thing to happen to the most dangerous or absurd industrial project you have worked on. Anybody round up to the nearest inch on a nuclear reactor? :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Slanderer posted:

A wet room seems like an absolute nightmare, unless you're living in that one weirdo's conceptual FUTURE CITY where everything is perfectly waterproof and automatic steam cleaning systems deploy while you're at work.

That weirdo was Buckminster Fuller and the people who actually used the bathroom in that house said it was a "delight" :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Motronic posted:

Nothing jumps out as me as "not to code" or hazardous there.

Just typical lazy phone/catv installers. This is what happened to the cable plant of both industries since they started hiring contractors as installers. It's even worse in places you don't typically see (cross connects and in some cases head ends).

So there's no code that says that the boxes can't be open and let water into everything? Is that because it's under 50V so the government basically says "gently caress it whatever it's cool"?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

Looks to me like it's just being used to catch a leak from the black pipes above.

Yeah, except I think the leak it's catching is that completely uncapped end of that T section up there :stare:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

For electronics and general hobby-ing they're pretty handy, especially after you've accidentally lit on fire your 8th carefully soldered cable bunch while trying to heatshrink it with a lighter. I totally understand not wanting to carry one around in your toolbox all the time though.

EDIT: Oh and more derail-y uses: de-soldering a bunch of pins of a chip at once, where you can't solder wick or otherwise remove enough solder to extract something that has a million goddamn tiny pins, you can just blast it with the heat gun and lift it up while they're all melted. This is assuming you don't melt or destroy the chip in the process, but it's pretty handy.

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 26, 2014

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pile of Kittens posted:

I'd be fascinated to read whatever source you're working with.

This one obviously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8aGlOj2VFo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

blech. That is an audio track from a metallica drum solo, spliced to another solo I don't recognize, and badly applied to a video track of Animal playing, with a bad cutoff.

this is better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56sZOUPegUw

and this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UycCK4arxaE

Sorry, I was on mute and just grabbed the first one i saw that had the fire clip :downs:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

So did they find the vent after hearing the carpet hissing softly all the time?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

canyoneer posted:

http://i.imgur.com/bjbo02f.gifv

Linked because maybe dead.
For those who don't click through, it's a guy Looney-Tunes'ing himself off a concrete ledge with a jackhammer.

:stare: if he's not dead it looks like he's going to be brain damaged for life the way he fell

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Terrible Robot posted:

Yeah, that looks juuuust fine.

At least it's energy-efficient :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

So basically a gigantic underground all-stainless Thermos? :v:

You can buy old missile silos these days as long as you don't mind living underground in the middle of bumfuck nowhere North Dakota or whatever.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

nthalp posted:

To be fair I have 2 of them. (My ex wife liked cats...I like them too)

As long as you break em down and clean them well once a year.. and run them directly to a waste drain as opposed to the weird toilet hook. They are pretty loving awesome. No litter box cleaning really, just little cat poo poo washing machines. I've had them for a few years anyways and any time they "break down" its usually just cleaning off the water sensor, and back in business. Never had the aforementioned cat-piss-poo poo nebula...

the granules slowly biodegrade, so you just top up a few times a year.

One of the related videos was someone who had it back up with two pounds of compacted un-dissolved cat poo poo in the hopper over the course if 6 months so I don't really know who to believe.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

nthalp posted:

Most likely assumes machines are magical and work forever with no preventative maintenance. I dunno. Was just saying..

He said he only had it 6 months (I think) and he "didn't know the maintenance schedule" so whatever, I'll just get that stupid cat sphere the reccomendations thread likes so much.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

The what? That thread is really long. :saddowns:

The Litter Robot, which is literally (litter-ally) in the OP of that thread :v:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

One Legged Ninja posted:

I was close at one time to building a garage with a full second floor, plus attic, and a full basement. And a 50 ft shooting range on the back.

It was going to have a woodshop upstairs, a metal shop downstairs, and even a place to park cars!

"Close" as in you told your drinking buddies how :krad: it would be to have a garage clubhouse and they agreed or close as in you were about to actually make it?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cut the door in two halves like an old farm door, then cut a 6 inch part of the top half off where the railing would sit when the door is flush with the wall (fully open). Reattach this section with hinges, so when the door is closed it's a full door, when it's open it fits neatly over the railing :kamina:

EDIT I just realized it would have to be at an angle to match up with the railing, so do everything I said except at an angle. Bonus crazy funhouse door settings when you're done!

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 20, 2014

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

WeaselWeaz posted:

Anyone know a good source for decent looking, reasonably priced fireplace doors? Lowes, HD, and Amazon only appear to have Pleasant Hearth, which are easy to install but don't have a lot of options.

You might find a local store that sells fireplaces and supplies near you. I know we have two different fireplace stores here, and I live in loving Florida where you don't need a fireplace at all because it barely gets cold in the winter.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean at least it's "mounted" to the wall rather than in a tangled heap on the floor. It's a start :unsmith:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

At least they clearly labeled where they keep all their Live Voltage.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tim Thomas posted:

At most places where I've worked in full Class 10 garb, getting caught with bodily fluids outside the grey area is immediate dismissal.

I work for a capital equipment vendor and was scrambled to Samsung in Hwaesong some years back to fix some problems with a first article install. I got there after flying the wrong way around the world on about 3 hours sleep and proceeded to work an 12 hour shift fixing things. I came down with some awful flu but had to go back in every day for the next week. Puking in your bunny suit is awful, but cleaning it up without anyone noticing so you don't get kicked out of the fab is worse. Even keeping your nose from running is awful. Bunny suits aren't awful, but if you aren't feeling well, they're the worst.

Wait they'd fire you for having fluids inside the suit? What about if you sweat, or, you know, open your mouth at all?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

We have the opposite problem at work. The building we're in now was originally built to be some kind of storefront or small warehouse or something, the building's metal frames and metal siding and metal roof etc. But the part of the building my company is in has... a kitchen... and a full bathroom with shower and dual sinks... and a goddamn fireplace in what is now the CEO's office.

Turns out the previous owner was living there illegally for so long he renovated an entire chunk of the building into a house. He also did it terribly so there's rot everywhere, the wiring is bizarre and shredded in many places, stuff like that. The current owner (we rent) insists on using his incompetent handyman to fix everything so we get hacked fixes like a literal hole punched in the wall through to the outside so he could run a single cable. Not drilled, punched, like he chipped it out. You can see light coming in, and water comes in when it rains hard enough.

Oh and there's a giant roll-up metal door where the original guy put in a garage by just putting up some drywall that doesn't quite go to the ceiling, so now we have a "garage" that's just a big chunk of the office that's been cordoned off. We use it to store junk; I imagine if we put a car in there it would kill us all from carbon monoxide pretty quickly.

We're moving at the end of the year, but the new building is in the "historic" district which means it will probably have even more fun problems. It's not even a cool brick building either it's just a lame storefront. Oh well.

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 11, 2014

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

For future reference here's the federal database of all the renewable energy poo poo you can get in your particular location:

http://www.dsireusa.org/

It even includes city and county level stuff if you're lucky and live in a city or county that gives a gently caress.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I love that at least two people saw these weird laser doodads and just went "gently caress it mount them to the roof"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

(content): Juuust a small delay in completion...

Should drive by there tomorrow & see if it's changed in the past two years since I shot this pic.

I wonder if you could buy it and turn it into a neat walled garden thing. Or would it be illegal because it's not done / safe / zoned?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wait, so the fire exit leads to the second floor!?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Motronic posted:

The second floor has to have it's own fire exit, which is I'm sure what STR is referring to.

It is not at all uncommon in these situations to demo all access to the second floor from inside and use only the "fire escape" as access to whatever is up there providing it's just things like a mechanical room. I've even seen spaces like that rented out to different tenants with the fire escape as the only access since it's already separate/outside of the other space.

FYI, when I'm talking fire exit/escape, I'm talking about a fixed, permanent outdoor metal staircase. Not something with sliding ladders you'll see on 1940s apartment buildings in Manhattan.

Oh that makes more sense :downs:

So using the fire escape as the only exit is okay? I always thought you needed two exits or something like that. I guess a window counts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The house I grew up in and my parents still live at has a second house on the property that used to be for renting out to people. Its first floor was half garage, half living area, and the top floor was a kitchenette and dining room and small bedroom and bathroom. By the time my parents got the property it had been foreclosed on and the rental house was in disrepair, so they got it pretty cheap considering.

Anyway the first thing my dad did after moving in (before I was even born) was to tear out all that stupid "comfortable living area" on the first floor and make a workshop out of it with all of the aggregated tools and nerd poo poo he's collected over his lifetime. The first project he built there was his ideal vision of a work bench, followed by a :krad: home-built amplifier (he's an electrical engineer) with four loving 15" subwoofers prominently embedded high in the wall. In order to turn it on you had to flip up some of those red covered toggle switches like you were arming a nuclear bomb, it was pretty great. The top floor living area became the place he could go to work on his hundreds of precisely accurate model rockets (he's a pretty huge :spergin: if you can't tell), while the bedroom was for naps. Now that I'm living on my own and can't just mooch off his work area and tools I'm really missing being able to, you know, build anything larger than can fit on my four foot long desk in the corner of one room of my apartment that is reserved for project junk and not needed for living area.