Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
I live in the Minneapolis metro, was listening to news radio (and hit the MNDOT cameras) while the bridge collapsed and just finished ignoring the hour-long personal injury lawyer infomercial that's mostly testimony from successful lawsuits relating to the bridge collapse.
13 people died and 145 more were injured.

:eng99: Good luck with your wonderful bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe it pops up like the roof of an old VW camper van??

Or maybe their roof was so hosed up they just build a big box over top rather than re-finish the existing roof?
OR maybe there's a sweet hillbilly loft up there? It seems too low to actually really give any extra space. Is there maybe like solar water heating or something up top??

I love how the house is just sort of up on blocks, like it got its foundation stolen by parking in the wrong neighbourhood.

I'll buy that it's a hillbilly loft seeing as it's a house that has an addition with an addition on the addition.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Under cabinet outlets
Over cabinet outlets
Hanging ceiling outlets
Island outlets

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Splizwarf posted:

Virginia too, plus it's a Right-To-Work (ie unions GTFO also gently caress your "due process") state

Ahem. :eng101: I believe you're thinking of At-Will Employment. It's nice to see somebody saying Right-to-work correctly for once.

From the schadenfreude thread:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

CopperHound posted:

Is it considered crappy construction if we don't overbuild enough to accommodate idiots with slacklines? Just think, we were probably just one $3 piece of rebar away from not having that hilarious video.

Well, I don't know. It looks like it was made by stacking pavers on top of each other with no reinforcement and that seems like something that's not up to code. Using nails on the shingles wouldn't have been a terrible idea either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHVX0GcszJA

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Ahhh ok. We don't go in for that sort of thing very often up here in Minnesota.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
http://imgur.com/a/jnlOR

Previews:

"Then I modify the structure of the roof, the yellow beams are new, the old beams are more brownish. "

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
People are throwing loving hissy fits about single-family home sprinklers here in Minnesota. It's pretty pathetic. The anti-sprinkler folks have managed to get two bills through that would prevent jurisdictions requiring sprinklers but the governor has vetoed them. There's an ad campaign crying about how we shouldn't let the government remove our freedom to choose and decrying the increased costs of new housing.

The law requiring sprinklers in single-family homes would only apply to homes over 4,500 square feet which would add gently caress-all to the cost of their god drat mansions.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Leperflesh posted:

Man, gently caress developments that don't have sidewalks. I bet they put that hydrant in there while laying out the water infrastructure in the dirt, prior to pavement being laid, without realizing some assholes had decided to not have sidewalks.

Always got a kick out of this one.

Couldn't put it a few feet right or left in the grass like a normal fire hydrant, no, it goes RIGHT HERE.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Splizwarf posted:

Or just slap a tankless on-demand heater in behind it. :smugbert:

With a drainline heat exchanger to preheat the water heading into the tankless water heater.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

kid sinister posted:

For the first one, there are no balusters on the hand rail. Leaving aside the "sideways exit" danger, that makes for a bouncy hand rail. The second one has cleats, the little pieces of wood nailed into the stringers that are holding up each step. Most stairways are held up by the stringers, which have right angle cuts out of them that the stairs are directly nailed into. With that method, the stringers are directly supporting the weight. With cleats, the only thing holding up the stairs is the nails driven sideways into the stringer. Plus if you look closer, those cleats only appear to be 1x lumber.

Also: not even remotely level.

I mean, maybe having those stairs angled down away from the house keeps water from pooling up and freezing in the winter...but I bet they're real fun if you've been drinking. There's also that whole "I hope these stairs don't unbolt themselves from the house while I'm walking on them" thing.9

Freakbox posted:

:ohdear: I'm not entirely sure this is the place for it, but I'm wondering if any goons in this thread know how to go about getting government help or grants ...
Our savings were completely wasted and we almost went bankrupt when I was younger- My father died after a series of lengthy hospital stays that lasted a year ...

... I was wondering if there were any sort of emergency grants for people in her type of situation. Any help would be appreciated- sorry for the E/N all over the thread. ...

I just want my mama to be safe and happy- she's the only parent I have left. :saddowns:

There might still be some government programs that can help but I don't think any will cover "bringing it up to code."
We were "save the bath water so you can flush the toilet with a bucket of used bathwater" poor and got a grant to install reusable plastic window insulation. I can't say for certain but I'd imagine we also received heating support as well. The new roof we needed still came out of pocket. We also got grants through our church though I don't recall the exact name at the moment. I think the name is Thrivent Financial these days.

Your mother is almost old enough for the Rural Repair and Rehabilitation Loan and Grants program. There are probably others as well.

You may be able to find local charitable organizations that could be of assistance. You might have luck talking to a local home/tenant advocacy organization. Although I doubt they'd be of direct financial assistance they may know about programs she would be eligible for or be able to orient you in the proper direction.

If she's willing you might try seeing if she qualifies for other services like SNAP benefits to free up a little money for the most pressing concerns. Food shelves could help as well.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Two toggle bolts, in drywall. :downsbravo:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
When I first started highschool (7-12, 300 students) the 2nd floor had an "open'ish" floor plan. Here's a lovely mspaint:

(there may have been 4 less rooms, it's been quite a few years)

It was pretty loving awful hearing some loud as hell teacher down the hall lecturing. You got to hear drat near everyone if you were in the library. Just awful.
They put up walls on all the classrooms after I'd been in a two or three years and that came with it's own set of problems: HVAC. Walling in the classrooms completely hosed up all of the airflow. It's a rural school and the only area of the building with AC was the administration office.

I can't complain too much though. That ITV room? Fiber optic video links to 5 other schools so 1 teacher could teach 6 schools of classes at the same time. "Computer lab #4"...in a school of 300 students, in the 90's. Sure, it was full of Mac Classics and SE/30's and poo poo, but we also had a Mac lab, a PC lab, and a Desktop Publishing lab: it was basically an English classroom you could type essays in. We started taking touch typing lessons in the 4th grade. Sometimes forward thinking works, sometimes you end up with open classrooms.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Was going to post that.
Embedded version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-OYM7AhW7Q

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Motronic posted:

Guy with a Jersey Shore beach house decides the a stone yard hurts his feet too much and also that his shower need more very temporary "drainage" so he does some lovely digging and then covers it with shredded tire mulch (FYI, that poo poo floats and and also turns harder than stone in a couple years of sun exposure):

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/4tfe7w/resurfaced_my_entire_back_yard_with_rubber/

Highlowlights:

This got so bad even for reddit that the subreddit moderators locked the comments.

Yeeeeesssss. I love bad reddit brag-projects so much.

Pros:
    contractor will make money fixing this mess

Cons:
    cost $1,100
    possibly causes cancer (research doesn't need to be done to notice the odor/fumes from the rubber)
    looks terrible (x3 top comments)
    will wash away in the next storm (beach house)
    dyes your shoes
    melts in the dryer when your kids leave one in the pocket
    foundation damage (a huge issue for old beach houses which often have sand foundations)
    hurts worse than rocks to walk on (gets hard)
    traps moisture causing humidity and rust
    gets tracked into the house
    one user reports issues with flecks of steel from original tire manufacturing - "3,000lbs of mulch, you should only - have about a pound and a half of metal strewn around the backyard"
    smells terrible
    "tire-fire" flammable
    hard to clean leaves and sticks (can't just rake, wash, or blow)
    cat poop stays wet
    city might fine him and tell him to remove it
    fix will cost another $750 to purchase back the river rocks he gave away and another 4 days of labor
    termite inspector has to crawl over those leftover rocks thrown under your house now

Jerry Cotton posted:

It looks nice, though.

Did you see the "Before" 'cause the "Before" looked a lot better:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
This may not be OSHA but it's another bad reddit brag-project gone dangerous.

This is one of the "bends" of a 50cc moped build:

look at how this headstock is attached:

I could probably bust the most important connection on that frame just by sitting on it too quickly. That's not to mention that the only brake is in the front so you're putting the full weight of the rider, and bike, and inertia through that lovely weld every time you slow down.

https://hackaday.com/2016/07/12/fail-of-the-week-how-not-to-build-your-own-motorcycle/

I'm actually less annoyed about the kids putting Chinese moped kits on their Walmart bikes now.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Jerry Cotton posted:

How could I have? Also I wouldn't want my back yard to look like a Satan's field.

Grover's shaved pubes is a better look?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Partycat posted:

I'd been using one of those box fans when cooking a steak or whatever to blow the smoke out the nearby window, which works top notch. However, over time dust has clung to all the grease so the fan looks dirty as poo poo even though it is all thoroughly stuck to it. Short of spending an hour with a toothbrush and simple green to try and slowly clean it all up, is there any sort of general spray degreaser or similar (tried 409) that you could use on the plastic guard and blade to .... degrease it? Other than that I would seriously just budget to replace the stupid thing because it is arduous to try and clean it up.

Got a buddy with a pressure washer?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Yall are going to like this http://mcmansionhell.tumblr.com/

"when it's got that gaping rear end in a top hat window above the front door you know its gon be good" "fireplace in the bathroom lux af"

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

spog posted:

surely you know that you can remove the cable from the card without breaking the network?

No, I don't think that's the case.
I'm not 100% up on ancient network technologies but removing that card without replacing it with the special terminator plug probably would break the entire network. IIRC you couldn't leave a single jack disconnected or the entire network stopped working. A cable break or an intermittent connection could ruin everybody's day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10BASE2

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

atomicthumbs posted:

My dad is in the process of buying a house. The inspection report just came in

As a ham you should know how important it is to ground your equipment to an earth ground composed of ramming multiple 6ft copper poles into the dirt even if that means running an extension cord from the ground to your shack :haw: :eng99:

But seriously, I can see something like that happening, and it wouldn't be as bad as the alternative explanations for that plug.

To all the non-hams: grounding high power radio equipment isn't as simple as plugging it into the socket, unfortunately. It's a helluva lot more complicated than I can describe but it does usually involve driving multiple ground stakes and wiring it up haphazardly.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

My mom grew up in a Lustron Home in Ohio post war. Impossible to heat or cool but termites? Not a chance.

Oh hey, thanks for reminding me that I've wanted to go see those. There are 5 of them on this block in Minneapolis and a couple others scattered around.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Engagement Ring of Theseus: the ring broke so Cody re-cast it with a bit more silver, added copper to strengthen it (sterling silver vs fine), and added more gold to the bead that they panned in Alaska over the summer.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

The original material is all still there, though. A key aspect of the paradox is that the worn-out parts were retained so they could be assembled into a second complete ship.

This is more like if the Ship of Theseus got some sick aftermarket mods.

Right, right.
:bang:

quote:

The recasting does raise a good question, though: are the Nobel medals of Max von Laue and James Franck the same 1914 and 1925? If casting violates the continuity of an object, does forging?

That came to mind as he was dissolving the silver to separate the metals.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Zereth posted:

If I'm remembering the right story, the government then ruled that removing the hay bales counted as a big enough change that he still needed to comply with the regulations and demolished it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-surrey-34777566

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

DrBouvenstein posted:

drat, that crawlspace is nicer than most basements.

And it said it was Minnesota...why wouldn't they just have done a full basement? Are basements not a thing in Minnesota? I thought most northern states tended to go basement over crawlspace because of the weather.

Though I guess in this case it's not like most crawlspaces that are uninsulated foundation over dirt, so it probably functions as well as a full basement.

Yeah, we usually do basements in Minnesota. I was probably around 10 before I found out other parts of the country don't necessarily have basements and even older before I figure out what "crawlspace" meant.

Check out this crawlspace:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k3mVnRlQLU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Baronjutter posted:

So my building replace it's 1951 door closer with a new one and it's driving me insane. It seems to kick in when you get the door only half open, so you suddenly hit all this resistance. Is there some way I can tweak this because it's awful and it makes it impossible to come in the door with your hands full and use your butt or hips to push the door open or get any sort of swing going.

There will be a screw or two or three you can use to adjust it. You either need to adjust the swing speed screw or the back check valve. If the door closes really, really quickly turn down the swing speed. When it's set really high it can be hard to push the door open. If that doesn't help turn down the back check. Back check slows down how fast the door opens but it's not something you'll be able to adjust on a lot of closers.
My closer has a single screw that needs to be adjusted just right to close the door without slamming it and it needs to be adjusted by season. loving fiddly piece of garbage.

https://dengarden.com/home-improvement/Door-Closer-Adjustment

HERAK posted:

My gut says that either something else has been connected to that circuit during the work that shouldn't have been. Or that it has been damaged during the work. Either way it is a problem.

My money is on staple/nail-through-wiring

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

shame on an IGA posted:

awful ballpark math incoming: guesstimate 280 sqft of vehicle area times 280 pennies/sqft at 2.5g per penny = 195kg of poo poo glued to their car... A little over 400 lbs

There's a sign on the car documenting how many extra tons it adds and the suspension required to hold it up.

House on the Rock, Spring Green, WI. The most amazing "roadside attraction" ever created.

Some not-crappy-construction: The Infinity Room

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Baronjutter posted:

The other day I was in a restaurant and their motion activated paper towel thing was being triggered by any movement within a couple meters so there was just a huge mound of paper towels on the floor stringing out of the dispenser.

Those things have switches for adjusting sensitivity and the length of towel it dispenses per activation. You've apparently been running across dispensers set to "I loving hate my boss" mode.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's the general theory, but I have a friend who works at the patent office and she said a lot of Dahir Insaat's stuff would be tough to get a patent for, because technological feasibility is a factor in whether one is granted. Or something. It's been a while.

That's one of the reasons Arthur C. Clarke didn't patent the idea of geostationary communications satellites. He's given a number of reasons he didn't do so over the years, but the first I read was something like this:

It was a novel idea in 1945 but his patent lawyer convinced him the patent would be rejected for being impossible with current rocket technology. Plus, he thought the patent would run out by the time rocketry had advanced enough: He didn't think we'd be launching sats until the 1990's.
By the time rockets were advanced enough to put a satellite into orbit the idea of using a geostationary satellite as a radio relay would be "obvious" and the patent would be rejected.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
What if.... we took a bunch of 400 square foot houses and sort of compacted them all together and removed the useless space between them. And then we stacked them on top of each other to make the best use of the land.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Buff Skeleton posted:

Art project, spite house, or both?

Domestikator symbolises the power of humanity over the world. It pays tribute to the ingenuity, the sophistication and the capacities of humanity, to the power of organisation, and to the use of this power to dominate, domesticate the natural environment. The act of domestication, however, often leads to boundaries being sought or even crossed. Only a few taboos remain, and it is these taboos that the Domestikator seeks to address. At the same time, one could argue that humanity itself is being domesticated by the optimized systems and organizations of the digital world and the advancement of science.
Domestikator’s themes coincide with a number of recurring topics in the work of Atelier Van Lieshout, like utopia, dystopia, idealism, power, ethics, religion, love and reproduction. Domestikator is part of the ongoing series New Tribal Labyrinth. New Tribal Labyrinth presents a vision of a future yet primitive world, a society inhabited by imaginary tribes where ethics will be of little importance. This world will see a return to farming and industry, to rituals and rites – with Domestikator as a temple for a new religion, a place where the high priest can address the masses.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

crazypeltast52 posted:

See, I want to say that text is made up, but I can't bring myself to call bullshit because I've read enough art manifestos to think that it is real.

http://www.domusweb.it/en/news/2015/08/28/atelier_van_lieshout_the_good_the_bad_and_the_ugly.html

Alereon posted:

I like that people are getting upset about it looking like a couple having sex, when it's obviously a man having sex with a farm animal.

http://www.ateliervanlieshout.com/works/

Domestikator
Domestikator is a large scale artwork that serves as a totem, a temple and a beacon. It symbolizes the power of humanity over the world and pays tribute to the ingenuity, the sophistication and the capacities of humanity, to the power of organisation, and to the use of this power to dominate the natural environment. In order to support 7 billion people, agriculture has become an industry, with factory farming and genetic manipulation a necessity. This provides us with an ethical dilemma, as this kind of farming seems to border on abuse. At the same time, the literal abuse of animals, bestiality, is one of the last remaining taboos. Why is it that treating an animal like a fellow human is an unspeakable act, whilst treating an animal like a resource for industrial production is the norm?

Domestikator is part of the larger installation The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. The Good the Bad and the Ugly is a temporary settlement in Bochum, Germany that was designed for the Ruhrtriennale, a festival for theatre, music, dance and arts.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Crappy Construction
Hundreds of pounds concrete used to weigh something down
Safety fuckups
Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RhTXMLrR5c

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Samizdata posted:

Can we find a way to work electrical current in there also?

Absolutely. You can make glass go from clear to opaque electrically. It's called PDLC film and it switches with regular household light switches.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Its Minnesota, so garter snakes clump together in hidey holes to hibernate for the winter.
Fortunately they are non-venomous and have a single tiny tooth that is about as hamful as an insulin tester.

I don't think there are any venomous snakes in MN. Not in the northern half anyway.

We've got some rattlesnakes in the far South Eastern corner of the state. "2" species, one of which hasn't been seen in 50 years. The other is pretty chill:

During a twenty-year period, from
1982-2002, 31 snake bites from Timber Rattlesnakes were reported in
Minnesota. However, only five of these were considered “legitimate”
bites, in which a person inadvertently encountered a rattlesnake and
was bitten. The other 26 bites involved captive snakes or people who
deliberately handled rattlesnakes, and most victims were under the
influence of alcohol. No fatalities due to Timber Rattlesnake bites
were reported during this time frame (Keyler, 2005

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Leperflesh posted:

They didn't "save up" half a million dollars, they sold property they already owned in order to raise cash. How did they own that other property outright in the first place? They don't say, but the most likely answer is: having wealthy parents, e.g. generational wealth.

FogHelmut posted:

How do you bone if everyone is in the same room?

Waking up for an hour or two in the middle of the night to read or bone is a lot more common if you're going to bed at dark and getting out of bed at sunrise.
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-16964783
http://slumberwise.com/science/your-ancestors-didnt-sleep-like-you/

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

wesleywillis posted:

Those are just really well fitted blinds covering the window in to the next room. The next room being the dimension where this is not awful.

Sharing a fun new update at my house with you all today! It’s a shiplap display wall and I’m so excited about it! Remember when I had my carpenter put up shiplap in Kole’s new room? I loved it so much that I decided we needed a little more of it. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get enough white molding/planks in my life. :)

http://www.thesunnysideupblog.com/2016/08/shiplap-display-wall/

I had been going back and forth on what to put on the wall in this spot between my office and powder bathroom and then it hit me! That would be the perfect spot for some shiplap. I drew my carpenter a quick sketch and he got to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Facebook Aunt posted:

I think maybe the room she is standing in while taking the picture is the mudroom. The understairs closet is in the mudroom. The outside door is behind her, out of frame.

Shows hundreds of photos of the house and children, won't post the floorplan "for privacy reasons."