Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The Dave posted:

Crimping kits seem to be $20-$30 which might end up making sense. It's a pretty long run that goes into a ceiling run that I don't have access to so replacing it could be complicated.

If I've learned anything from the times where I've done that, it would be to tell you that you want to make sure you have enough slack to actually plug the two new ends into each other afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

If this isn't a crime it probably should be.

That is one ugly rear end mod

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm not a server person. What are potential consequences of a server not being moist enough? This is not a thing I'd considered as a problem.

Isn't there a higher risk of static electricity at low humidities? AC dries the air out, so if it gets too dry they need to add a little moisture.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Blistex posted:

Was in the Ukraine war thread and made it to "POW" until I realized it wasn't a Motronic post in this thread.

This is a perfect example of why tanks should always be accompanied by infantry.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Then it's like any other sticky mess.

aka, facilities tells some guy making minimum wage to grab a mop and bucket and wipe it off.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Platystemon posted:

https://twitter.com/__frye/status/1509569758584180742

Technically I think that this is more OSHA thread material, but it reminds me too much of the “above ground” pool in the basement photo.

That's got to be a post by the guy selling the equipment, trying to sucker some more idiots into buying his poo poo.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Had this crappy sink at the hotel I was just at. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it's about 1.5 cm between the water and the sink basin. It was easier to go into the shower to wash my hands instead of using that thing.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Arcologies are cool ideas, but I'm not sure how well that one will work.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Thanks, multiple previous owners.

Edit: Three loving layers of paint on these walls and outlets.

Hasn't it been since the 60s that grounds were required in the US? I'd be scared of what kind of wiring you're going to find if you pull those plates off.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Yeah uh I'm not messing with anything electric besides replacing a switch if it needs it. A full rewire is on the list, pretty sure it's mostly original from 1955 or so.

Yeah, rewire for sure when you have the money for it. It's probably old fabric insulated, which can fall apart with age. At least it's unlikely to be asbestos infused, since that wasn't common in standard household wiring.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I had to break down an interior door because my friend's toddler managed to lock himself inside the room, and it was weird as hell.

8 foot tall door made of solid oak, but the bolt turned out to be in the trim, which was made out of MDF. I was fully expecting to have to throw myself into the door a bunch to get it open, because we had no idea that it was so janky.

Who the hell installs a big rear end door like that, puts in a lock, and then half-asses the actual locking mechanism? Interior locks are weird in general to me, but especially one like that.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

StormDrain posted:

It was a keyed lock, not a privacy lock with a way to unlock from the outside? That's creepy.

Yep, she's had the house for many years, and just left the key in the lock because she didn't want to lose it. I guess her 3 year old finally decided to play with it, or at least play with it after closing the door, and couldn't figure out how to open it again. I'm surprised he was able to even turn it in the first place, since it hasn't been oiled in who knows how long.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

captkirk posted:

I still don't understand why the standard sized tub in the US doesn't fit a full grown man but if I fly to Japan, where I'm above the average male height and weight, and find a reasonably sized tub in every hotel room.

My partner hated that after moving to the US and finding out that the tubs are so small.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That's ugly, but I like the idea of being able to park there and walk right in without getting wet when it's raining.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

House is "award-winning".

Hope you don't stumble on that midnight trip to the bathroom!
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10560-Kelly-St-Mendocino-CA-95460/19214895_zpid/?mmlb=g,29

I know that it's in Mendocino, but that is not a 2 million dollar house.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Many years ago I stayed in a youth hostel that had a mezzanine floor with two of the beds on it and it had those weird half stairs up to it, but they were polished wood and turns out my footwear had no grip left so wheeeeee down I went!

My wife fractured two vertebrae slipping down hardwood stairs in socks. Luckily she fell on the short stretch and stopped at the landing, and didn't end up permanently crippled, just bed/couch bound for a few weeks.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Looks like a great place to sleep on a rainy night.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Wonder what ghosts are after this builder.

I think the door on the left might have been the original shotgun style house.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Harry_Potato posted:

Is that a jetted fondue pot? I can't wait for the invite.

I guess I know what I'm buying if I win the lottery. Might finally be enough cheese

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Is it even possible to keep that dry with something like underfloor radiant heat, or is it just going to be a mold problem after the first week?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

i installed a disposal in mine just last month

Makes the waffle stomps much easier

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

First of May posted:

My grandpa had what I remember as a gigantic front projection tv. There was a wooden box at the bottom with a diagonal hinge to protect the r, g, and b lens tubes when closed and provide the mirror when open. The screen was noticeably concave to correct for the perspective.

Looking around online it might have been a 1979 Mitsubishi MovieVision.

We apparently have the same grandfather because mine did too. He would always yell at all the grandkids if we got too close to it

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

Fully expected them to crumble to dust as soon as he tweaked them

Yep, I expected a handful of rust after he touched the first one

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My first thought was "huh, small earthquake, alright". It wasn't until five minutes later that I realized "wait, I'm not in California any more, this isn't normal!"

Not even big enough to bother waking up for.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That's the overflow drain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Saw a Nextdoor post asking for a good plumber to get rid of this

Looks like the PO who hosed up my house decided to do another one.