Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
A lot of the lines on that look jacked up because the picture has been resized significantly. Talking about the roof lines and siding, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
There was a soffit strip vent barely visible in one of the photos. Its a resized photo so it loses some clarity and is hard to see, but it is there.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Most of the housing in my area was built around 1880-1890 and no one is in any rush to tear it down, 200 years wouldn't be unreasonable

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
cool so if a cable goes bad or a new hdmi format comes out or you add a device you get to rip it all out and redo drywall. Good idea.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Ashcans posted:

Are you saying that that could be a load-bearing flood? :stare:

Downtown Milwaukee WI is right next to Lake Michigan, and sections were previously swamp land way back in the early 1800s, and the water table is very very high in the whole area. A number of historic multistory buildings have original, submerged wood foundations that are still in great shape because they have never been exposed to air. One building had settling problems and it was determined that the water table in that area had dropped due to a deep tunnel storm water system that was installed a few hundred feet under it. The tunnel leaks in a few places so the water table dropped below the building and the wood foundation started drying out and rotting. I think they actually have to pump water INTO the foundation now to keep it stable.

A lot of words to say that it is a valid building technique, when done intentionally :)

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Grape Soda posted:

The people doing the repairs were not prepared for the disaster that lurked underneath and I feel like I need to have a case of beer waiting for them tomorrow evening.

There isn't a tradesman on the planet that wouldn't appreciate a sixer of some moderately palatable beer like Miller Lite. If the job has been a bitch, it's a cheap $7 thank you.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Neutrino posted:

Most of the blame for decaying pilings is BS cooked up by building owners to get the government to pay for problems that have been around for a long time. This article is from 1954, about 30 years before the Deep Tunnel was built. The head building inspector supposedly did a study of the same problem in downtown back in the 1930's. The short story is that the water table fluctuates wildly - something that architects didn't realize back in the 1800s and early 1900's when they were using timber pilings.

Am I correct that the MMSD prevailed in the lawsuit about that? I couldn't remember.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Am I the only one seeing the standing water on the floor? Some splash on the panel seems like the least of their worries.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Gounads posted:

I just sat here for 10 minutes drawing different diagrams with no luck, I really hope someone figures it out.

Seriously, if someone thinks they can sketch out how that hosed up electrical system is wired I'd love to see it.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I can get a pic of it if there is interest, but as a motorcycle security effort I bought a bag of cement, a length of heavy duty chain, an iron shackle, and a big Tupperware container. I made a giant fuckoff cement block with integral chain connected to the shackle, which sticks above the cement. I have another bike specific chain that I connect to the bike and secure through the shackle. I estimate the block at around 400lbs... If someone steals my motorcycle with this setup they obviously deserve it.... It's not even a fancy bike, but people are assholes.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Captain Cool posted:

Why would you do this instead of installing a floor anchor? Not like it's any less permanent than a 400lb rock.

Because I rent.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Captain Cool posted:

What's your plan when you move out? Patching a hole in the ground (if the owners even care) seems easier than getting rid of 400lbs of concrete.

Take it with me? Already done it when I last moved.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I don't think so, though I don't have anything to weigh it with. It's not hard to move with some equipment.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Dunno, it's in storage with the bike. I'll get a pic and measurements over the weekend I think.

Looks like there's online calculators that'll give a good estimate of the weight.

bobbilljim posted:

Really? It's easy for you to transport?

Yes. Humans have invented all sorts of neat tools that enable them to do things that their bodies alone cannot.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
This is the best derail ever. Stay tuned for the stunning conclusion of #cementgate

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

15x31x9.5

http://www.calculator.net/concrete-calculator.html

340 lbs, plus whatever the shackle and embedded chain weighs, plus whatever variation from aggregate ratio.

Hope you can sleep well tonight ya goony bastards :allears:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

WeaselWeaz posted:

I'm looking for suggestions on dealing with loud neighbors. Our bedroom faces their patio and their son tends to have people over late to drink and hang out. The only separation is a lovely 4' wire fence and some bushes. Last year I wound up going out at 1am every other week to ask them to keep it down.

What are some solutions here? Even if they weren't up so late the small distance between our houses, brick walls w/o insulation, and single pane windows keeps things loud when we're going to sleep. We're in 1 story with a basement, with probably 5' of height before the first floor starts in the backyard. All I've been able to think of is a tall, likely expensive, fence that would probably block out sunlight.

http://www.movingsoundtech.com/

Turn this on every time they're outside late at night.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Anne Whateley posted:

LEDs aren't $30 anymore. The best 40- or 60-watt equivalent is around $10, less if you get a six-pack or wait for a sale.

One question for me is what to do when you move. I live in NYC, so people move a ton, and I don't think anyone will want to leave $50ish in bulbs behind. When I upgraded to LEDs, I spergily set aside my old incandescents in the back of a closet.

I did the exact same thing. Every fixture in my apartment had an incandescent bulb when I moved in, I replaced all with CFLs, but those incandescents will be back in all fixtures when I move out.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I see dead people

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Bad Munki posted:

My realtor is a 400-pound concrete block

Hopefully at the bottom of a lake am i right

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Robertson superiority

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I wouldn't try it... the price of failure is kinda steep. I would be willing to use an electric tool to set the screws most of the way, but I would only snug them by hand.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Do you use drills/impact drivers often? With a little bit of practice it's very easy to gently drive in a screw by not using the full power of the drill.

Familiar with the settings but not a frequent enough user to trust it. Maybe if I had a small handheld, the only thing I got is a dewalt drill and it wouldn't think twice about tearing apart some ikea furniture. The torque settings are a bit mysterious but you can eventually dial it in...

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Shady Amish Terror posted:

With or without a bicycle chained to it?

It was a motorcycle tyvw

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
IMO just move it. The chances of the county realizing the change seem slim, unless there is an associated neighbor who is invested in that sign.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

canyoneer posted:

Hey it's a die wash

I liked that the Reddit post for that claimed it was newly installed when it looks like it was fished out of a dumpster.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
A friend of mine inherited a house that was built prior to grounded outlets being a thing.

She has asked me if I can update a select number of outlets to be three prong.

Is there a guideline for how to do this properly? I would assume that simply swapping two prong outlets to three prong is dumb, but I also don't want to stumble into rewiring a whole house either.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Awesome, thanks

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Is this so she can plug in your printer?

We could use one of those prong adapter things for that, but it just doesn't feel as good.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Speaking of trusses, this was spotted in Florida and indicates to fire fighters that the building has a truss roof.

FIREFIGHTER SAFETY WARNING SIGNS for Structures with Light-Frame Truss Type Construction in Accordance with the Florida Administrative Code 69A-3.012

Structures with light-frame truss roofs shall be marked with the letter “R”

Structures with light-frame truss floor system shall be marked with the letter “F”

Structures with light-frame truss floor and roof system shall be marked with the letters “RF”

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Gounads posted:

That's terrifying. I always assumed those detectors would be calibrated to start chirping at a very low level.

Tracking this down was surprisingly annoying.

UL2034

If the Alarm is exposed to 400 ppm of CO, IT MUST ALARM BETWEEN 4 and 15 MINUTES
If the Alarm is exposed to 150 ppm of CO, IT MUST ALARM BETWEEN 10 and 50 MINUTES.
If the Alarm is exposed to 70 ppm of CO, IT MUST ALARM BETWEEN 60 and 240 MINUTES.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Oh hey the person from that reddit CO poisoning thing posted an update over the weekend.

quote:

Good news update: It's been almost a year now. While four months ago, things were rough, I've definitely made significant improvement, and currently there's little reason to doubt a full recovery within a year.
As it turns out, brains can heal. While brain cells cannot regenerate, the bulk of my issue seemed to be cerebral edema (brain swelling) caused by the poisoning. While the inflamed tissue can suffocate and destroy brain cells... It doesn't always, and sometimes the damage is temporary. That said, it is my understanding that without a pre-incident scan, it is difficult to tell what is swelling and what isn't in a very detailed or specific way.
Long story short, while my comment from months ago was very depressed and hopeless– I'm much better in both mood and physical health– though in this situation, those aren't exactly separate categories!
I'd say now, 10 months later, I'm about 80% back to normal. And while it is likely there is a 1% that won't recover, and some cells were destroyed, not just disrupted, and maybe I'll always have the occasional headache...
...There's no reason to think I won't be at 99-100% better in another six months.
So I'm happy.
I've been getting a lot of PMs regarding my legal situation, and I've been advised not to discuss it online just yet, as it is still ongoing.
Movies always made me think that body healing and court cases were so much faster than they really are! These things can take many months or years. Luckily, my case shouldn't take years. But it might be some more months.
I can say that, legally speaking– things are really looking great for me. And in the meantime, I've had a really lovely place to stay, a very understanding boyfriend, and I've even been making art– a field I wanted to get into but never would if not for the incident.
I will say, though, I use a moleskine notebook daily planner thing now. (I do keep busy! Important for mental health!) I'm kind of done with post-it notes for a while!

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
From the China thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeLyr5hh9Uc

Even I can make better concrete than that.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I've only seen people washing hands in them :shrug:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

SneakyFrog posted:

color me shocked!

Perhaps some kind of weight to secure the topsoil?

It'd be better if you set it flat on the sidewalk and used it as a dam

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Door in the middle of the stairs isn't locked on the photographers side, and the little sign says Not An Exit. On the other side on the wall is another sign that indicates down goes to the basement and says not an exit.

Once upon a time they probably had a fire drill and a bunch of people ended up in the basement perhaps?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
There's just so much to process, we could call out individual elements for pages and pages. What the gently caress is hanging above the beds in the room with the two singles? It's like some sort of pointless canvas shade and a old timey sailor shirts.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I love the accent lights under the cabinets in that bathroom. Why do that? who the gently caress knows, maybe they just needed a way to shame the maid for sloppy work on occasion.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Platystemon posted:

It’s an extending faucet. Pull it out to fill buckets, push it against the wall to wash hands.

Maybe.

A motion activated sink to fill a bucket sounds awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I might just be jaded, but I'm thinking that it's not in a box, or not in the correct box, and a normal two switch faceplate may just not fit properly on it.