Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Lol, yeah, kitchen exhaust hoods are for a lit more than just blasting air out. You kinda need them for getting rid of smoke and grease and everything else that happens in a kitchen.

The place I'm renting now doesn't have kitchen or bathroom exhaust fans and desperately long for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

It's not like America's all that much different. We won't hop on the nuclear or solar train because it's much more important that some yokels in West Virginia get to pretend that they'll get to keep their mining jobs.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Can you even turn Bitcoins into real money?

I remember back in the early GBS thread there was like year long wait list on the exchange thing, if you weren't willing to accept grocery bagfuls of Wal-Mart gift cards or drugs. So does being a bitcoin
millionaire even get you anything?

Also somebody find that one coin farm that had the exposed bus bars running down the place.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

You onow how Goatse has gone from being a shock image to being like sering an old friend?

That video is like the complete opposite. Still as horrifying as the first b time I saw it. :randstare:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, uh, how's about some good construction?

Awwwww, yeah, that's the good stuff.

Bad Munki posted:

Could really use a combo 903/908 that uses the gears to spin the bit faster than the tap/screw segment, then we're in business. Who needs chip clearing, anyway.

Not exactly what you had in mind, but DeWalt makes a combo drill/tap impact bit:
http://www.dewalt.com/products/accessories/metal-and-wood-drill-bits/metal-drill-bits/tap-and-die/impact-ready-tap-and-drill-bits

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Judging by the vent on the wall there some seriously misunderstood what a "duct detector" was. :v:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Well that's a door for a walk in cooler so not much escaping gonna be done through that :v:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Why does a street with a cul-de-sac have two different names? :psyduck:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Eh, it's only a York, not like anything of value will be lost when it collapses.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Facebook Aunt posted:

IMO hospitals should stop hiring time travelers from the 1800s.

Sounds like somebody hasn't gotten their humors balanced in a while!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Hey it could be worse. At least it's not like the last place I has that not only had ungrounded outlets, but all the wiring was done via J-cord.

And said outlets were also like original 1960s bakelite stuff, all wired up to an extremely old and loose breaker box. I was not thrilled about that to say the least. All the outlets are GFIs there now though. Trying to explain why they should be changed to the landlord was interesting.

Old houses that get rented out are fun.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So since we're talking about supports and the cutting there of, I saw this posted to a group on FB, how bad is this?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Enourmo posted:

This reminds me of a thought I've been bouncing around, are there any systems that (intentionally, and with good engineering principles) dump waste A/C heat into a water heater tank? You've got a large thermal mass that you want to heat up, and large quantities of heat that need to be dissipated; seems like a perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone, and reduce your overall power bill. Maybe still have a condenser unit to dump heat outside when the water gets saturated, but is this a thing at all?

In a residential application this doesn't really work as well as it sounds like on paper, because the units are smaller and run somewhat infrequently. I mean, even in FL you'd be hard pressed to find a unit running continuously for more than about 15-20 mins or so. There actually are some products that do what you say, but they require custom piping as well, since you have to add a line from the compressor discharge to the exhanger and back to the condenser inlet. I've never really seen one in action so I can't speak to how well they work.

However, you do see this application in commercial stuff. Most supermarkets get all their hot water from thermal recovery tanks that are heated from the hot gas from the rack rooms. You just have the discharge line piped into a heat exchanger in a big water tank and instant free water! Most of the places that use these never need to run their water heaters either, since the rack runs continuously.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So a "small business owner" went and built himself a custom walk-in fridge for his stuff.

And then an actual HVAC/R contractor comes into explain what's wrong with, well, everything here.

His rebuttal:

In case anyone is wondering what exactly is wrong here:
For one, it's not really anywhere close to being sealed properly. A proper walk-in actually had cam-locks inside the panels, and when you assemble them, they pull into each other. There is a rubber lip, and you also run a bead of butyl to seal it 100%. The doors have gaskets and are supposed to close by themselves to seal properly. He has none of this.

The bigger problem is that the window unit is completely insufficient for this task. It's undersized and not designed to cycle like a walk-in does. While he does have a different controller, which, to my understanding, refortifies some of this, its still running too low for it's design and will end up overtaxing and prematurely burning out the compressor. Of course, while it may be able to maintain the temperature, the it's almost certainly going to struggle actually pull the product temp down to safe temps.

To say nothing of the mold growth potential in all the cracks, crevices and gaps in there.

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 7, 2018

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Slugworth posted:

Honest question - He already has the product in there and it appears to be maintaining the room temperature. What trick of physics am I missing that would indicate the product temp isn't being brought down? Is the assumption just that due to the poor sealing, the temperature is gonna swing wildly?

There's a big difference between product temp and space temp.

Even though he may be able to keep the space in the safe zone, between 35-40*, that little window shaker isn't really up to the task of pulling the heat out of the product in a sufficient time to keep it out of the danger zone.

If you look at walk in evaps, that generally why they've got big fans with long throw, to be able to cycle as much air as possible across the space.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Coasterphreak posted:

To be fair, they didn’t share the refrigerator, it was posted by a professional HVAC/R tech that took the pictures. If they are selling their product retail in a commercial storefront, they are presumably subject to health code compliance. Canning for retail sale requires a shitton of HAACP and usually involves a written variance from the local health department since it’s low-oxygen packaging, so yeah, their operation is probably okay if they’ve been in business any length of time.

No, the owner was the one who proudly showed off his creation there

Crotch Fruit posted:

It's an ugly lovely refrigerator, but at the same time I find it difficult to see a really lovely low cost solution. I mean, it's obvious after hearing what an HVAC pro has to say about it, but as a DIYer, I might do something that stupid. . . I mean, at one point, I wanted to build a "mini fridge" that would hold just one or two beer cans using some foam insulation boards and a couple peltier coolers, I wanted something small enough to sit on top of my desk. In the end :effort: and the fact my wife got me a mini fridge for my birthday prevented me from ever doing it. And once I researched and got to the planning stage I probably would have realized it was going to be a stupid idea, but it never had a chance to get that far. My own ambitions of a lovely beverage cooler for my own private use are a whole different level than trying to DIY a commercial fridge, but the owner did claim that their size and budget wasn't enough to justify the cost of a real commercial HVAC install. I'm willing to guess the guy probably spent a thousand on that ghetto fridge, and a pro install would probably have been several thousand dollars. . . But I do think that the "insulated door" is well below even amateur DIY standards, he should have used either a solid door or a hollow door filled with expanding foam (yes I know this might explode).

If he wants to have a serious food business, he should be prepared to budget for the proper equipment for the job. He should have either bought another commercial reach in, used or otherwise, and continued to budget for a small, properly assembled walk in.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah,there's nothing really wrong with that box. Rusty and ugly maybe, but as long as the connections are still good it should be fine.

But if it bothers you that much it can be replaced in like 20 minutes and a new one is like $7. Personally I prefer to used non-fused disconnects, but to each their own.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

That becomes a thing no matter what trade you're in.

I can't go anywhere now without inspecting ductwork, or looking at refrigerant lines, or wanting to open all the doors on a display case to test the torquemasters.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

As an HVAC tech, I just assume that any enclosure outside is full of wasps at any given time.

About 80% of the time I'm not wrong.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Waterlogged carpet is like one of the grossest thing. Why would you want a whole shower of it.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

If that exhaust fan is used over any piece of cooking equpitment, the stuff running out of that is going to be a bunch of greasy sludge too, so that may be part of it as well.

Though, most EFs I've seen just dump it on the roof.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Its amazing to me how landlords will always, ALWAYS, shoot themselves in the foot by going with the cheapest possible option every time.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Anybody who uses slotted screws in a place where they have even a 1% chance of rusting needs to be fired into the sun though.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Synthbuttrange posted:

Only thing that worried me about that was the undercarriage shots which had a ton of rust.

And this:

I'd love to see how that holds up to extended driving.
I can't imagine the flares or the copper lines are going to love being bounced around as that thing makes its way down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Suspect Bucket posted:

Mmm, I've seen that sort of setup, but generally much further down off the bumper, and it has some kind of shroud.

I mean, so have I. But usually they're mounted low and much more rigidly, not hanging off the rear like like 4' out.