Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

PainterofCrap posted:

I may get hammered for this, but the best bang for my buck have been...IKEA faucets for bathroom sinks.

They are (or were, until recently) solid brass, metal faucets. No plastic. I've had one on the bathroom sink for eleven years and the action is still smooth, has never leaked or given a day's problem. Think it was $65.

When I remodelled the kitchen, I noted similar build quality for most of the kitchen faucets, but could not find one my wife was happy with. The decent-looking & feeling ones ran from $115-$300.

VVV yeah, and sinks...can't vouch for the toilets, but the sink in my (narrow-rear end) bathroom was perfect for it.

Get good brass drains from a plumbing supply house, though...IKEA sells/includes plastic crap for the drain side. I imagine the toilets have some Fisher-Price-level garbage in the tank...I'd definitely pull the tank lid & check it first.

Surprisingly, big-box still sells decent toilets (but stay away from the Kohler Cimmaron. Christ, I can't wait until my wife leaves town on her next trip to replace it).

No hate on IKEA faucets, they seem to work generally well(though it being their homegrown stuff, it means you're stuck with them for spare parts if they break post-warranty, with a non-store brand like Grohe or whatever, you can drop by just about any store and have a decent chance of finding the right cartridge or whatever's needed to unfuck it), but holy poo poo stay away from their kitchen sinks. At least here in Denmark they've decided to do all the drain parts in non-standard sizes and configurations so we regularly get desperate customers coming in to fix their IKEA garbage and all we can do is go "well, sorry, you'll have to hit up IKEA for those parts because the dumb Swedish fucks decided to not do things the standardized way."

As for drains... honestly, I'd go plastic all the way. Usually the metal poo poo is what comes apart in a couple of years, especially for bathroom sink drains, while good ol' PVC(and PEX or ALU-PEX for water pipes)will survive longer than the rest of the house in 99% of all cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

PainterofCrap posted:

That's why I specifically mentioned sourcing from a plumbing supply house, where truly heavy and properly plated drain stock can be had. The metal drain stock at big-box and even most hardware stores is thin-walled crap that corrodes through after a couple of years.

If that option is not available, then by all means, use plastic...although I'd use the heavier schedule 40.

There's no real advantages to metal drains, though, unless it's something without a vanity so your drain piping will be visible, in which case it looks slightly nicer. As long as it's hidden away, go plastic, it's cheaper and will last you as long as even the good metal stuff.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

kid sinister posted:

I always wondered why my grandparents' house had copper drain pipes inside as well as supply. Copper must have been dirt cheap then.

Sputter, what. What the gently caress. Copper drain pipes? Old drains here(Denmark) are cast iron, or in some cases concrete, but copper? WHAT?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

YamiNoSenshi posted:

Just replaced the drain in my bathroom yesterday. It was (IIRC) a brass drain, a piece of copper pipe, a PVC reducer, and a metal P trap. The copper had started to crumble near the bottom and was leaking from there.

If the metal after the copper involved any iron, no surprise, those two metals will absolutely devour each other.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Speaking of ceilings, just to contribute to the thread, once I was out doing some renovating work on some apartments. And we were basically completely demolishing the bathrooms entirely, even tearing out the plumbing traps in the floors, which meant we more or less needed to tear out a big ol' chunk of the floor and have someone down below to catch it when it dropped through, as well as covering up the bathroom below, etc. etc. lot of weird poo poo happened because the drains and water came up through one column of apartments, and in each one split into the apartment next to it, which meant also interacting with the weirdos living next door, and this place had a LOT of loving weirdos.

But, the thing is, the apartment below the one we were working on that day had put a drop ceiling in their bathroom, with spots in it. So we had to disassemble that first to access the drain trap above it, and being the new guy, I get that one. It goes pretty well until I reach the first spot. Turns out, whoever had done this jank-rear end job had uninsulated the wires several inches prior to jamming them into the spots. I learned this when I was feeling around above the drop ceiling reaching for the first light and grabbed the uninsulated wires instead.

It was just a mild jolt, but son of a bitch guillotine every moron who does wiring without knowing their poo poo.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So what gets me about this one, unless someone has a really tiny clown car, or a very small garage only for, say, motorcycles or bicycles, that second garage on the right has to extend not just past the two small windows, but past the large window on the far right as well.

Now that's what I call cursed.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

This looks like a bowling alley with a fireplace.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

HycoCam posted:

SuspendSC--1.5oz to 3oz per gallon along the top edges of porches/in front of security cameras to eliminate spiders.

Why the hell would you want to eliminate spiders? They don't damage anything, they just kill off the actual pests

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Burt Sexual posted:

Is not wanting spiders in your house controversial itt?

Pretty sure there's literally no spider in the world that will attack a human that isn't threatening/endangering it in some way, they don't damage anything you own, they don't gently caress with your food, they kill other pests and they're cute.

Spiders are probably the most useful freeloader animals on your property aside from any potential bees.

I mean obviously yeah if you can't get out of your front door for all the spider webs, you probably have good reason to want to get rid of some spiders. But otherwise it just seems pointlessly murderous to me.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Burt Sexual posted:

Besides the freak out wife, how do you explain the spiders all over your walls and counters to guests at gatherings. People come into my house and socialize.

Well, you may in fact be living in a cave in Spiderville, Spidervania and should consider a move, if spiders are swarming across every surface in carpet-thick mats of legs and hair.

Because the only visible webs I have, while making absolutely zero effort to annihilate my arachnid friends, are the disused ones in a few high corners that get all dusty, and which I clear out because no spiders are inhabiting them anyway. The spiders themselves usually keep to their webs in the high corners as well as the dark places where there aren't constantly big, disruptive mammals getting up to things.

And if the occasional spider web in a corner is the sort of thing that makes your guests imperiously demand an explanation or mock you, perhaps you need to socialize with a better kind of person.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

GotLag posted:

It's not surprising that alkaloids (eg caffeine) gently caress up spiders, given that their biological role in plants is as insecticide

For crappy construction content, when I have my shower first thing in the morning sometimes when the water starts running I get a whiff of sewer for a few seconds. My almost entirely uninformed guess this is something to do with a trap, but is there anything cheap I can do about it?

Without being able to poke at your plumbing for a clearer answer, I'd suggest either some bright spark installed two traps on the same stretch of plumbing so they're somehow managing to briefly both empty each other out, OR some section of the attached plumbing has the wrong or reverse incline to it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

PainterofCrap posted:

Golden eagle?

It feels like the magpie at the bottom of the frame is mugging for the camera.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

Its totally designed to make the :females: wet as gently caress.

In the shower.

What happened to the sunken bathtub? Didn't he specifically state that he was working with a contractor to keep the sunken bathtub, and that the contractor was all "yo, its not that bad cutting your floor joists" or something?

I'm more amazed that he's kept those hideous loving stone sinks.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

FCKGW posted:

Do you goons just fill up bathtubs to the rim and cannonball in or something? Who needs a drain on the outside of their bathtub?

All bathrooms need to have a floor drain at the lowest point in the floor, not just inside the shower if the shower is thoroughly walled off, because there will always end up being water on a bathroom floor, even if you just have a sink, you need this.

Now, this moron made a moat all the way around his bathtub, this moat is now the new lowest point of the bathroom floor. If there's no drain at the bottom of the moat, there's gonna be nasty-rear end water collecting there. It doesn't even have to be from the tub, look at those lovely loving sinks, there's gonna be water splashing everywhere the instant someone does something even mildly energetic in their general vicinity. Or gently caress if he just walks out of the shower without being perfectly towelled. Or, hey, maybe after cleaning the bathroom. Even if it's just a little at a time, it's gonna pool up, and turn into something that smells like mouldy rear end.

The smart way to do this would be to have the rocks under some sort of glass/plexiglass surface so they look nice but nothing seeps down there or gets them filthy outside of dust, but they can still be looked at... aaaaand then to still have a small drain under them just in case.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The Bloop posted:

I'm not saying kitchens and bathrooms shouldn't have a floor drain outside the shower, but I have lived a lot of places in the US and never once seen this outside of a public bathroom.

That's reasonable. Far as I'm aware, though, here in Denmark it's a requirement that there be a floor drain.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

sane places have a vent and a fan to suck out the moisture, not floor drains that only deal with large spills (badly)

I thought the vent and fan went without saying. Like ha ha, who would actually make a bathroom without proper ventilation?

...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand now that I look back, I don't see any visible ventilation in either the ceiling or walls of Kane's Bathroom.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Motronic posted:

All the bathrooms I've seen in Denmark/Sweden/that general area are set up as wet rooms, where in the US that is very rare.

Also your people seem to love exposed plumbing. I kinda like the idea - makes servicing things a lot easier.

I have to admit having our plumbing described as "exposed" seems a bit strange. These days almost everything is made with PEX boxes hidden in the walls(at least if it's a new installation of some sort), and hidden drainage plumbing is also becoming more common(not exactly a fan of that myself, though. Because all it takes is one moron lopping the female end of the pipe for whatever reason and you have a severe shitshow on your hands making things work with commonly available DIY stuff), though really only if you're building something from the ground up. I'm not sure how much more you could hide it without making it an absolute nightmare to reach if anything at all breaks.

Then again, I'd rather have my plumbing visible and functional than hidden and requiring half the bathroom be torn down if something pops. Function before form. Usually the vanities etc. will hide most of it, and all you'll see will be a bit of drainage pipe at the very bottom if you're lying flat on your face on the bathroom floor for whatever reason.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

If I ever get a house, I'm going to get one of these:

Mostly because I keep stepping on the shower drain and also if the shower ever leaks, it'll just drip into the drain.

Not a huge fan of the tiles used, but I like this frameless solution that just neatly hides it away but is still accessible.

Alternately this one, for keeping it slightly more framed.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

HelleSpud posted:

Found on imgur titled 'customer ask[ed] if this was "normal" '

That looks like something at the heart of a STALKER anomaly.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm the lovely soldering job that I really hope is that bad on intention because otherwise how the gently caress does a professional of any stripe leave that much excess/leaking solder.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

therobit posted:

LOL that you think workmen are involved with this terrible decision.

Well, at least around here, soldering and cinching copper piping is what the professionals do, DIY people usually stick to conex/compression fittings which are serviceable and easy to use, but tend to look kludgy as hell if they're visible and not hidden away in a utility space/under a vanity/in the kitchen cabinets.

Different construction traditions, I suppose.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

My copper pipe soldering definitely looks like that, but A) I'm not a professional at all, and B) it's under the house where nobody has to see it.

But it's not hard. Any hardware store sells the torch, solder, flux, and pipes, and there's thousands of websites and youtube videos etc. telling you how to do it. Fixing copper pipe is one of the easier home DIY things you can do.

Yeah, that's the other thing, no DIY hardware stores sell solder fittings here, only compression. If you want solder fittings, you'll need to be running a business so you can access a wholesaler.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Ghostnuke posted:

what? they're right there in the aisle at menards

I'm not from North America. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://imgur.com/gallery/GF1Pwny

Some of these I've seen before, others I have not, I hate all of them. Hopefully I'm not just reposting old content.

Holy poo poo what the gently caress is wrong with some people's brains.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Wow is that combined copper and iron? Someone was a real smarty making that setup.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

glynnenstein posted:

The shiny steel is a dielectric coupling; the threads are made out of a plastic lining that is bonded to the outer steel sleeve. It's fine in theory, but they're all cracking after 17 years in service and a bunch of them show stains on the pipe insulation where our heating hot water can leak by. The one that failed catastrophically cracked in a circle around one thread width and blew out the whole 1 1/4 pipe, just popped out of one side of the fitting and sprayed 8000 gallons in a pipe chase.

Must be an American thing, I guess. Here if you want to connect copper to iron, or have to, you usually add a looped section of PEX piping. Or just connect them with brass fittings which aren't gonna be too fussy about what they're mixed with.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

glynnenstein posted:

In my experience with commercial in the US it's usually convenient to use a brass valve as your dielectric, but the way they did this building was that they go to copper right off the 8 inch risers in the chase, and the valves are down the line a bit in an access panel. The lined steel couplings are super cheap, the only real reason to use them I can think of, but it still would have been cheaper to run the steel out to the valve instead of copper, so who knows what they were thinking. :shrug:

The extra fun part is these fittings are on all the systems in the building: heating hot water, condenser water, and domestic water. We're only even looking at the heating hot water stuff right now because the cycling between ~65 F and 155 F is making them fail before the others. Eventually we're going to have to cut them all out, dozens more.

Well, at least you guys won't be out of work for a while.

Personally I always really enjoyed returning to the same large building to do work, you got to know the place, the people, the installations, etc. and half the time someone would be good friends with the caretaker/janitorial people and you could bang off and have an hour of tea and chat with them on your lunch break. And, of course, if you were less scrupulous, it was usually the place where it was easier to take a half-hour reading break in some disused attic than when working for private citizens.

The Gardenator posted:

I refuse to use the galvanized metal nipples that come with new water heaters. Instead, I go with brass nipples with copper piping.

I'm both amused and disheartened that these fittings have the same stupid name in English as they do in Danish.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Love me some two-inch hexagonal screwed double nipples :mmmhmm:

We might have one up on you there, we call those breast-nipples. Sometimes a plumbing conversation sounds like someone scripting out a porn scene.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

kid sinister posted:

What do the Danish call the fill valve in a toilet?

Translated? That'd be the "Floater."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/CursedArchitect/status/1116825822017359877

I know CursedArchitect is cheating but this one just floored me. What the gently caress.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It looks like it rose out of the floor like a loving secret in Doom. I'd expect to open that fridge and find a berserker pack and two Imps.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It would be great if everyone was on the same side. Wikipedia also had this map of which side people drive on and although most countries drive on the right, there's still maybe a third of the population of the world who don't.

I'm just amused that Antarctica is somehow coloured in as drives-on-the-right. How would anyone even know.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Christ that took me a second, people loving around with gas who don't know what to do are loving scary.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/ElliottBrossard/status/1124799758629883904

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Plastik posted:

It was a hole in his bedroom iirc, and he was concerned about pissing on his dogs as they slept in the crawlspace. It was from the first real Bachelor thread, which was a goldmine for content like that.

I think this poster may actually have been a raccoon.

But holy poo poo.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Seriouspost: anyone who thinks Germans are capable of efficiency or organization have never worked with Germans on a large project. Even when they manage to make something smaller, anyone with any competence who isn't German can point out a few hundred glaringly obvious things that could easily be changed to improve both the process and the end product. They're just coasting on memories of old glories (and fraud).

As someone who works with Germans, dear God yes, I've never dealt with a group of people so conservative before. An entire national franchise is clamoring over how something is a terrible idea and not working right, and the Germans insist we have to keep working with it, even as the delays get worse and worse by the week and month. A) because it's how things have always been done and B) because how dare the locals who actually engage with the customers and systems pretend they know better than us here at the top in Germany who are German.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

B-Nasty posted:

You can go hang out in the plumbing aisle at Home Depot to watch unskilled DIYers spending 20 minutes looking at DWV fittings and pipe knowing that they're most likely about to create some kind of drainage abortion.

Yes thank you for triggering my PTSD.

"Okay, so what you want to do is both stupid and against code, so instead you can spend a few bucks more and do it the correct way..."

[Customer dubiously looks at my suggestion]

"Well, I'll bring thep arts for both, just in case, okay?"

[I smile and nod knowing that everything I found for them will be in the returns basket and they'll do their dumbass juryrig just to save a few bucks in a way they, or the next homeowner, will regret immensely six months down the line]

Generally anyone who needs to ask the employees anything but "where is thing" is someone who should not be doing what they're trying to do and should instead get a professional to do it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I love the windoors designed so you can step out and break your leg/neck/arm falling on to concrete.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I like the floor tiles, but goddamn, the slabs of brick veneer don't even line up! There's a super clear failed line-up over the stove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well, I don't think they're tiles, I believe it's just a slab/roll or whatever you call it of linoleum. I don't think you should like it, I'm 80% sure it was originally white...

Oh. Oh no.

Linoleum doesn't belong in homes, it belongs in institutions and public areas.

Begone, cursed material.

Platystemon posted:

Linseed oil is a drying oil.

It will spontaneously oxidise and form polymers at room temperature. That’s how oil painting works. Once it’s dry, it’s not a particular fire hazard.

But get enough of it oxidising in a small space, like a bunch of oily rags in a rubbish bin, and they’ll get hot enough to ignite.

Yeah, pretty much every carpenter has a story of how they/an apprentice hosed up with linseed oil the first time. Usually it's just smoke damage, thankfully.