Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Every time I bomb Porcelainia there
:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cyrano4747 posted:

To make it look “more modern.”

poo poo there’s someone in the small questions thread right now asking how to unfuck a painted brick fireplace.

I'm the utter and total lack of dropcloths, masking, and in general protection of all other surfaces.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

Federal Pacific, if wired correctly.

Anything else otherwise

No love for Zinsco?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

nurmie posted:

dk if the topic of munger's student torture apparatus in the form of a house is still at all interesting, but get a load of the Billionaire Defender Squad logging on

quote:

It may not sound dreamy, but it beats living in a car.

Yes, that's definitely the standard I hold hundreds-of-millions dormitories to.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

mycomancy posted:

God drat it took me way too long to understand what the picture of the plug meant.

An unusually austere loss.jpg?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

My friends are pointing out that with that draw, he'll never hit anything.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

why does a shower stall need a bathtub faucet?

Muslim footwash? IDK.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Motronic posted:

And hardi is even better.

Our house has asbestos shingles that have almost certainly been there since 1931. There's nothing like that good old solid craftsmanship until you need to cut holes in it for some reason.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

When I lived in Massachusetts, a story made the newspapers. A fuel oil truck got the address wrong and filled up the oil tank in the wrong house. Unfortunately, the wrong house had had the oil tank removed years ago and hadn't bothered to remove the fill opening. Owners wound up with a basement full of heating oil.

Meanwhile, I had electricians here and asked them to look at the doorbell transformer and see if the wiring still worked. There were visible cut wires where the doorbell used to be, and I was hoping to connect a new doorbell and a new chime and go on my happy way.

Somebody somewhere before me had not only cut off the doorbell wires at the doorbell itself, but also at the level of the porch. Which means that the entire line would have to be re-fished in a 1930s house that's solid board and asbestos shingles, and the electrician's guessing it's a half-day job with two electricians. SIGH. Now I'm trying to figure out if you can get door chime transformers that pair up with wireless buttons, because I really truly would like a real doorbell chime.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

This is certainly possible. If an off the shelf solution doesn't exist, a DIY one definitely does.

Hmm. I might, come new year, hire a goon to see if they can set up and ship a chime transformer with a Raspberry Pi that connects to a wireless doorbell. Unless there's a simpler solution? I certainly haven't been able to find anything on doorbell sites because it's such a niche want.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

No, that's exactly what I don't want. I don't want a programmable electronic-voiced chime. I have a solid old-fashioned hammers-hit-the-bell chime, and I want to install that. It requires a transformer (in place) and a wired pushbutton (expensive to install). I want (if possible, and it may not be) to jerry-rig a wireless pushbutton to work with the transformer.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

you definitely could use a raspberry pi for something like this, but that might be way overkill. i am not an expert in home automation, but i am sure there are several ways to do your exact use case of "convert a simple pushbutton switch from wired to wireless". there are several threads on the forums where people talk about projects like this, one being the idiot spare time projects thread in yospos

Thank you for that link!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

D34THROW posted:

You just reminded me of what my wife and i dubbed The Compound. I dont have the address or listing anymore but when we were working with my parents to secure a home in FL to move from MD, they were looking at places to buy for us to rent. Bear in mind we had 3 small children and now have 4. Some highlights of the Compound include:

• What looked like a crematorium in the yard or some kind of brick oven
Depending on the age of the house, that might have been originally for burning trash. Those were pretty common in the neighborhood I grew up in, and in use as late as the 1960s.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

How is the one built in 1725's heating? Sounds like a bitch to retrofit anything but fireplaces.

e: My 1931 house has gorgeous original single-hung windows in various locations, and I will be damned if I replace them. I may have storm windows made.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I will never forgive the Magnolia people for cancelling <i>Saveur</i> and trying to foist off their magazine on me instead. Euch.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Tiles: how do they work???

My first reaction to that tub is "Why no grab bar?" Because that thing looks really dangerous to get out of.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I remember the one (this would have been in the 80s) where the homeowners gradually disappeared from the show over episodes because they were on such bad terms with the TOC crew. To help identify it, the husband had bought some sort of electric multi-purpose tool and was going to make billions of balusters for the front porch. He got disgusted and quit after <10.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Given that it's impossible to pour from the kettle, it's purely a joke.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

canyoneer posted:

The famous secret cord

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I thought the standard solution for hiding your sex swing hook was a hanging planter.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

That one is almost certainly a B&B (note bathtub in room and Victorian bedstead) and the twee is part of the attraction. I once saw (didn't sleep in!) a B&B which offered a teddy bear in each room.

I wonder if "lots of Victorian furniture" is still as much of a selling point as it was in the '90s.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

And some kinds of trees just like doing it on general principle. Ornamental cherries, for one.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Armacham posted:

Yeah plants are loving weird.

:emptyquote:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Jaboticaba are my favorite example. They look alien and almost unsettling.

What's the reverse of tryptophobia? Because I just invented it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Smithwick posted:

I could arguably defend the roof(s) design but the windows are bad and the columns by the entry are barf.
I am very confused by the windows in the chimney. In case Santa Claus gets stuck?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

It may just be an artifact of photography, but it looks like that hearth smokes, in which case it is a very bad fireplace and its mason should be ashamed.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

BonerGhost posted:

It's ugly in a way I don't understand. Design/architecture goons, tell me why I don't like this house.
For me, it's the two horrible lawn squares. Put something pretty in there!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Dienes posted:

They don't call it 'fencing' but you can find identical builds indoors. People like it for railings, half-enclosing stairways, lofts, etc.

Yeah. If I still had children they're buried next to the septic tank and had one of those open-second-story houses that used to be common, I'd definitely prefer a solid glass pane as the upstairs railing over something you could use to depth-charge bears, pennies, yogurt cups ...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Darchangel posted:

Man, they’re going overboard with the wide-angle lenses. That house almost looks like it’s… that’s not a fisheye lens?

"This house is being sold as-is where-is"? I've never seen "where-is" before.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Love it, would live there, strongly suspect it's a repurposed office.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah. When I say the nearest walmart is an hour away, that's not really a joke.

I think there's a Dollar General within 10 miles though.
Yeah, my nearest Walmart is an hour and a half away. However, when we go to the big city (16,728, baby!) it's for the Home Depot and Costco.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

MetaJew posted:

Teardown properties are selling for insane prices in "desirable" parts of town, and then people that seem to have infinite money come in and do new luxury builds on them.

My coworker lives in what he refers to as a "tear down" near this place. He tells me his new hobby is looking at the monthly payments for the new builds around him. With property taxes, the house below is approximately $25,000 per month if you were some weirdo poor person that got a 30 year loan at 5-something percent.
https://twitter.com/dennishegstad/status/1602320699837890562
Why, yes, I have always dreamed of a bathtub against an uncurtained window facing out into a residential neighborhood.

e: Y'all are missing the joke. Here's Notjustanumber99's thread.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 16, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

All those cinder blocks. That's the 78 Camaro of decks.
What's wrong with a 78 Camaro? I know not the Way of the Car.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Out of curiosity I took a look at properties for sale in Marquette and came up with this... weirdness.

Does somebody want to try to explain this kitchen? Because I can't figure it out. It looks like was designed to fit into an old-timey passenger train car.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1308-Pioneer-Rd-Marquette-MI-49855/106480004_zpid/

The sauna-bathroom is also pretty wtf.

What's this weird little leany-out thing?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

New fridge, new exciting PO craftsmanship.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

My house has a phone nook! I feel like I should make it into a little lararia for my household gods or something.
My daughter did that with hers! It's ingenious. Apartment building is from ~1930s, and there's a small arched pass-through between the kitchen and the living room. It has a phone jack in it, and dates to back when Ma Bell charged you extra for each phone. One phone, two rooms! Now it's full of candles and crystals and stuff.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

My husband and I both drive stick, but (A) aging knees and (B) harder and harder to find if you don't drive a sports car. For at least two decades, the stick model has been in the lowest trimline of any model of car we're interested in buying.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Sirotan posted:

Had to know more about this house so I went searching. Those stairs actually are functional and are worse than I initially thought.

Edit: here's the entire house by Austin Maynard Architects. It's called the "Tattoo House" https://maynardarchitects.com/#/new-gallery-3/
Hand rails are for compliance with the building code wimps.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

If your dishwasher isn't connected to the cloud you don't need to air gap it but probably doesn't hurt in case there's a Miele zero-day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

"Tell grandma to fetch some canning jars, I feel an inheritance coming on!"