Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Holy hell :stare: Reading this thread makes me never want to own property. If you buy something older, it's probably full of tiny death/poop traps. If you buy a new one, it's probably cheaply made AND could still be full of deathtraps. If you have your own built, you have to breathe down the neck of every guy who comes through there to keep them from doing dumb poo poo. This is probably too far off topic but how the hell do you find a good contractor/inspector?

It might be a bit out of the way, but try finding a residential architect. If they've been working in the area for a while they probably have some contacts and experience with good and bad contractors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Dillbag posted:

Mexico City was interesting. Many of the buildings under 3 or 4 stories still had rebar sticking out of the roof or ground because apparently there's a property tax that only gets applied to "finished" buildings. People never cut off/clean up the rebar and claim their building is unfinished for the life of the structure.

This is the best photo I could find without too much effort.

Wouldn't that cause issues with rust? I can't imagine the buildings last as long as they'd like with rebar just poking out the top like that.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Slugworth posted:

The answer is always California. Always.

That's code in Wisconsin as well. If your house starts on fire in the middle of the night you want to be able to hear it.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Huh. Perspective is a bit skewed there but it looks to me like it goes right through. The image has a lot of graininess so I can't quite tell for sure, now.

If it were cut through you'd see at least a darker bit around where they would have cut the hole, or hopefully some flashing at least, though given the quality of work I doubt they would have bothered.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

eunos posted:

my wife and I had a custom house built from the ground up, ie from napkin sketches working with a designer (who we thought was actually an architect but he wasn't - that's another story) to blueprint to an actual house.

Remember that Architect is a legally protected term, "Designer" is not. Also that in a lot of jurisdictions you don't need an architect or engineer's stamp for residential plans.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Neutrino posted:

It looks like they did weld some small bar behind (highlighted in red) but most likely not enough to handle a decent floor loading.

I'm pretty sure that's just what's left of the top flange, and even if they did weld it it wont do a lot without the rest of the bar.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

there wolf posted:

Personally? No hood to protect the head/neck, and harder to modify for temperature adjustment including just taking the whole thing off.

I think the problem is do other people in other countries not have summer-weight/winter-weight hoodies?

Get a bunch of linen shirts

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

there wolf posted:

Yeah, I'm totally going to throw out all my washable cotton-knits in favor of something I have to iron.

Embrace the linen winkles, it's a good look.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I've actually seen this in a commercial construction job. Tight ceilings in a skywalk and an owner with more more money than sense, the fire protection sprinklers were dropped through the ducts.

ambient oatmeal fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 27, 2017

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Imagine being trapped on the second story by running water and a naked person. It's so silly it's kind of awesome.

As a Puritan vampire this is the most terrifying thing I've ever heard.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Nevets posted:

I wish I was more surprised, but then I remember I spent two minutes explaining fractions to the girl at the deli counter after I asked her for 2/5 of a pound and got a blank stare instead.

I demand 5.27 slices of roast beef and if I get 5.3 by jove I will need to speak with your manager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Its everyone's duty to install crappy cords that cause this problem to maximize the amount of time during the day that you spend not working thus spending your bosses money.