Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Finally at the end of this thread so an update on this mess:

Desert Bus posted:

This is the neighbor's wonky railings:

hosed up the siding real good also wtf with that wood:

This railing is just huge splinters galore, it bows up in the middle, and you can see one of the cracked uprights. There are a LOT of those:

There is a screw sticking out there and this is one of the better cutouts:

I annoyed the HOA, the property mgmt company, the contractor, as many of the neighbors as I could, and the foreman.

They ended up having to pretty much halfway disassemble all the balconies and rebuild them. And then they had to go back and fix them more. I managed to get MOST of the issues resolved with mine but I don't know how well the neighbors who didn't raise a fuss came out.

The first time it rained screw heads started to stick up from the deck surface, now there's a couple dozen just waiting to cut into an unwary bare foot. Some of the split wood they left is getting more split over time as well. The side railings are somehow more wobbly and less safe than the old falling apart ones.

The finials they chose are 5bux each on Amazon, solar powered with a super cheap rechargeable battery. They have 3 glaringly bright white LEDs on each side with no diffusion. There is also no way to turn them off. I unscrewed them and wrapped the batteries in plastic and then put them back on. I don't want terrible always-on lights out there.

They claim these were examined by the county and by someone from the HOA and approved of, but my guess is that they glanced at one from the ground and called them good.

I annoyed the foreman so much telling him he needed to fix poo poo over and over that the last time I went out to check out their progress he came up to me and started yelling about how I needed to stop questioning their work blah blah blah and what do I know about woodworking etc. He was really dumb so I kept managing to repeat back what he said in ways that made it sound like he agreed with my viewpoint which made him even more mad. The entire time I kept slowly getting closer and closer to him just to see how he'd respond to that too. I managed to get way way up in his personal space and he's yelling at me and i'm calmly loving with him back. Eventually we got to about 6-8" nose to nose. This entire time slowly altering my stance so I can take a punch or avoid a nutshot and getting my hands up in a decent guard position. I had a cig in one and a drink in the other so it looked normal. He's standing there legs spread, arms down, could be pushed over with a finger and he let me inside his guard? He finally notices what i've done, gets a lot quieter and says "You wanna back off if you don't want this to go bad." There was no reality in which it would have been worse for me than him but still bad for both of us if he chose. So I stood there and stared at him for what felt like an eternity, laughed right in his face, turned around and walked away. gently caress if I was gonna back off. 100% expected to get punched in the back of the head. Did not.

Oh I also asked him what the scam was since they were wasting so much time, effort, and wood instead of doing it more correctly. That made him VERY angry. I suspect they were installing bad wood just so they would have to uninstall it and could write it off as waste which they could then personally take home.

But yeah I almost got the foreman to physically attack me which was far funnier than it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

At least all the screw heads sticking up provide me with an excuse to no longer shovel the snow off it. Rules say "shovel if you can" and now I can't. Oh well.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

This is the same contractor who did my bathroom remodel a few years ago. They did a really good job with that. However, they only cashed the check for the 50% upfront and never cashed the final check for the remaining 50% so I saved a LOT of money.

They probably have their deck builders doing the accounting too.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

gnomewife posted:

What, you didn't kiss him to assert dominance?

Honestly I worried he was mad enough that he might to try and escalate it to the HOA or the cops or something to make my life difficult. My plan for that was literally "What? No. We were flirting. I was really confused when he didn't ask me out. Can you get him my number? He's pretty cute and I dig his intensity."

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I went out today and got a good look at my new balcony post-winter. Absurd amounts of split wood, stuck up screw heads just waiting to cut open your foot, and there's no amount of money in the world you could pay me to lean against the side railings.

I wonder why the entire HOA board resigned right after these went up...