Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Papercut posted:

The green tag thing is just crazy. Like literally the first thing a building inspector is going to do when they come to the building is check that it's there, because if it's not then there's no reason to go an inch further.

OK, as someone who's wondered for decades but has no idea, what is the green tag for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Couldn't you just get a flat iron disk to go on a burner so that it would get hot and you could put any pot you wanted on there in a pinch?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
MY GIRLFRIEND just explained that she got a really good deal and replacing six windows in her house only cost her about $6k. What the poo poo???

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Well they're pretty big standard suburban house Windows. I doubt very seriously that they are custom in any way. They're nice though, double hung double pane and we'll built. Maybe I just don't know what to expect. Kills me to think that they can cost that much.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Youth Decay posted:

I have so many questions about this house and its "vintage character and charm".

Like why are there bars on all the windows?

Why didn't they finish the walls?

Did they really think this flooring looked good when they installed it?

Why aren't there closets in any of the bedrooms?

Why is the master bedroom only accessible via the kitchen?

And what kind of drugs were they on when they tiled this bathroom?

Would absolutely buy.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
You’ll get a more important variation in your result from the density and quality of your ingredients vs the reference recipe than you ever will from minor variations in measurement.

Weigh your baking, savages.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Wheeler Dealers is bullshit because they never factor the cost of having a masterful mechanic like Edd doing all the work.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
That was flawless. Free-and-a-half.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

shame on an IGA posted:

25K is too much, I pass through that area on the way to visit family and the nearest large towns are Beckley WV, Winston Salem NC, and Roanoke VA.

Youth Decay posted:

Pulaski is just a blighted old coal town in southwest VA, pretty scenery but there's no industry or anything there now. See also Wytheville, Tazewell, Galax, and Bluefield.

I've lived in Wytheville and Galax long ago. Pretty, but yeah, basically dead. Roanoke always seemed like a relatively nice place, though?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
“Merry nubmas” got me good for some reason. Maybe the tiny ashamed font. I completely lost it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

brugroffil posted:

it's me I'm the crappy construction tale

(replaced all the doors and drawer fronts in the kitchen, which was a tedious pain in the rear end because no two cabinets were the same size, forgot to account for dishwasher handle when sizing this drawer!)

Hello is this my house???? Except for me it’s the oven handle.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
It’s a “manufactured home” or a trailer.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it looks like it might be Memorial Hall in Kansas City, KS?

Someone in the twitter thread says it is.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Jusupov posted:

It's a wick john

Yeeeessssssssssss

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I think it also had to do with misapplication of pretensioned concrete or something?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

therobit posted:

….replace handle and screw.

What if I am working on it alone?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Would sleeving a drilled hole or a notch with a strong piece of pipe or angled steel maintain the strength?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Might have been more efficient for her to skip the drywall and just mud the whole room right on top of the insulation.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I know. Efficiency and cost cutting has killed all those little works of art and craftsmanship.

For example, this is a sewerage pumping station in Crossness in the UK and it just blows my mind.

How do you expect to attract the Machine Spirit to your sewage pumping station and keep it happy in your drab grey concrete box??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
You should hire a plumber because he knows where the plumbing supply store is to get one of those plates(with a gasket), or more likely just had several in the van.

Also be sure you don’t bother to secure those supply pipes just flopping around.