Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Is that a reference to the movie House, or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

There are some floor squeak kits where you basically drive a special screw in, and the head breaks off below the board, fixing the floor to the joist underneath without leaving (much) of a visible mark. I can't remember what they're called, and I've never used them or seen them used, but the ads claim they work. Of course, that's for addressing spots, as opposed to, say, an entire floor.

I've never used them, either, but I've seen them in the McFeely's catalogs I get. All of the other types of fasteners I've bought from them have been top-notch, so I would expect these to live up to the hype. http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/SNM-3320/Squeeeeek-No-Morereg-Hardwood-Floor-Kit-w25-Screws

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

In the banner ads, there is one that shows an interior stairwell that is insulated on the underside, but the link goes to a game thread or something completely unrelated. I'm pretty sure that picture came from a thread in this forum. Is he being mocked for pointlessly overdoing it, or did he do it for a logical reason like he had a bunch of extra insulation and stuck it under there for sound/echo deadening?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I'm sort of familiar with the saga of the Groverhaus and the fallout of the thread but I don't recall much about the actual construction or what he did for his name to become synonymous with load bearing drywall. Does that thread still exist, or was it completely deleted?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

NancyPants posted:

Mine is horrific but ima level witchu:

I have no idea how to clean it! I don't have a dishwasher (bitch left me).

There is stuff called Tornado 50 that is amazing at cleaning those aluminum filters (and a lot of other stuff). I mixed it about 3:1 water to cleaner and filled the kitchen sink deep enough to submerge the filter and let it soak for about 15 minutes. The filter was filthy with that gummed up grease that is about impossible to clean off when it went in, but after soaking, the water looked like toilet water after a hard night of drinking and taco bell and the filter looked brand new. I don't mean "looked pretty good", but like it was just pulled off the shelf at the hardware store without the slightest trace of grease.

The hard part is getting it. You can probably get it in St. Albans WVA where it is manufactured, and they have a distributor in La Crosse WI. If, for some strange reason, you don't live in either of those towns, you can order it if you call them. When I ordered it, their minimum order was 4 gallons (had something to do with freight shipping hazardous chemicals or something like that) and they were like $20/gal. It was spendy, but four gallons will last a LONG time because you dilute it at 15:1 for general cleaning.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I worked in a sensitive military facility that had a halon system. They told us when it goes off, it unloads Halon so fast that it blows poo poo everywhere like a hurricane and we may or may not get out of the building alive. Not sure if any of that was actually true or if it was just a way to scare us from pulling the fire alarm.

They used to also have incendiary grenades on top of all the racks of electronic equipment but they got rid of them. I don't know why they took them out, but my best guess is that bored soldiers are capable of doing really dumb poo poo.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

The grenades were there to destroy the cryptography equipment in a hurry to keep it from getting into enemy hands. The two systems were intended to be used independent of each other. If something isn't on fire but should be, use a grenade. If something is on fire and shouldn't be, use Halon.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I was kinda thinking that the grenades would cause the halon to automatically deploy, but now that you mention it yeah the grenades probably wouldn't give a gently caress about the halon and just keep on truckin' right through to the floor.

The halon wasn't automatic. There was a big red button on the wall (like a shutoff switch on a table saw) to deploy it.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

kizudarake posted:

-went to Popular Mechanics website. Holy gently caress, I don't have anything to soften the caulk. Maybe that'll help!

Please correct me if I am wrong (because I'd love to know), but I was under the impression that there is no solvent known to man for silicon caulk.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

MisterOblivious posted:

With a drainline heat exchanger to preheat the water heading into the tankless water heater.

Seems like that thing would clog up in a heartbeat.

Javid posted:

A grey water tank to run the toilet is a good way to reuse shower water, if you can rig it.

You'd need somewhere to store that water until you need it and a way to pump that water into the toilet tank. I'd guess that it would be more expensive to use recycled water than to use regular water.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Ahh, right. That make a hell of a lot more sense.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

slap me silly posted:

Last one's the best. "Let me just reach over this saw with my arm to toss this in the basket!"

I don't understand German at all, so I thought that the wood went underneath and that throttle cable was a guard to keep you from hitting the blade from the top. After seeing it in action, it still seems like a pretty good idea overall.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Well the houses themselves put off a ton of heat due to all the lamps so cops can fly around in helicopters with thermal imaging and check out which homes are glowing.

The growers have started hauling 3ton a/c units into the attics now to blanket the whole thing with a freezing cold cover to prevent being spotted.

How would A/C help? The heat still has to exit somewhere.

Wouldn't LEDs be a good alternative? Low power consumption and heat output, and you can narrow the light output bandwith to only the colors that plants need, so there is very little waste energy going to heat or unused colors.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

djhaloeight posted:

So I'm not trying to burst your shower nirvana bubble, because trust me I love a good high flow shower, but if that thing emptied your 40 gallon water heater in 15 minutes, that's about 2.6 gallons per minute give or take.

Wouldn't it be higher flow than that considering that it is using 2.6GPM of hot water, but there's going to be cold water mixed in (unless he likes really hot showers).

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Why is it that AC power is referred to as both 110/120 and 220/240? Is it an RMS vs peak difference?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Finding whoever last showerd's pubes in your toothbrush must be a real loving joy.

You can brush and floss at the same time.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Here is my basement staircase featuring stylish elements of 1970s decor. My biggest concern is that there are no handrails and the passage isn't wide enough to properly install one without the door hitting it (the door opens towards the stairs). The only feasible solutions I can come up with are:

1 - Install a handrail, but stop shy about 2' from the top of the stairs - Not too thrilled about that.
2 - Remount the door so it opens outward into the upstairs hallway - seems like the best idea.

Any better solutions?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

:stare:

Please tell me that as you descend into the basement it spreads up the walls and over the ceiling until you arrive in the womb-like shag center of your domestic disco underworld.

The basement walls are covered in thick shag carpet, but it is more for sound deadening than visual decoration. I'm afraid I don't have an exciting disco room in the basement - only the cistern room and my sewing room.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Put the handrail on the side with the doorknob and you should be able to terminate it closer to the door, I would think.

That's the 2' I mentioned before. It would also be at the right height to bang your hip into the end of the handrail when going downstairs. I'm thinking that reversing the door so it opens outward would be best, but can you just remove the whole works and spin it around 180 degrees?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hunh, wouldn't have thought it'd take 2' to get clearance. Hip-banging can be solved by having a smooth taper of the rail into the wall; you probably want to do that anyway. Even a 45° taper would be better than a blunt end.

If you wanted to reverse the door, you'd also need to reverse its frame, which will probably involve having to scrape away paint to reveal fasteners (and having to cut through the paint that "connects" the frame to the wall). I guess maybe you could just spin the door within its frame if you were willing to chisel out space for the hinges and figure out how to reverse the strike plate.

I wasn't expecting to have to leave that much space either, but when I measured it out, that's about what it was. I think flipping the door and cutting new mortises for the hinges and strike plate is the way to go. I just pulled the trim off one side of the door to get a look at how the frame was installed and it looks like there is no way to remove it without destroying it or at least really loving it up. It is fastened to the studs with countersunk finish nails. I can't pull the nails by prying the frame boards away from the wall because the top and sides are connected by a double rabbit joint.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

Overhead door like in a garage.

There is nothing above or below that doorway. The space under the stairs is empty, so I could use that area to rig up some gears and counterweights to make it a vertically opening door. I just need to figure out how to have a pre-delay with a whirring noise, then add some clicking sounds (like a roller coaster going up the first incline) as the door opens. Dry ice would work for the wooshing smoke on a short term basis, but I'd need something else for a long-term solution.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

How would I go about finding out if anything like that is available in Minnesota?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

On toilet talk, the toilet in my basement (probably from the mid 60s) flushes very slow. You have to hold the handle down for about 10-15 seconds while it weakly flushes. It is in a utility room and gets used only once or twice a month, so it isn't a huge deal, but I was thinking of replacing the toilet in my main bathroom and am wondering if it would be worth it to just go ahead and replace the toilet in the basement while I am at it, or if the slow flushing is more likely caused by low elevation and lack of gravity? The innards of the toilet appear to be completely functional and the flap opens all the way when the lever is depressed.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I thought it might be that the drain pipe could be barely above the elevation of the sewer main out under the street, so that's why I mentioned the gravity/elevation part. I've adjusted the float the the back of the tank is full, it just seems like there is very little action going on in the bowl when I press the lever - it acts like there is a partial clog at the outlet but it has been that way for 10 years. If it doesn't seem likely that the elevation of the toilet relative to the sewer main would be the problem, then I'll install a new toilet. I just didn't want to pay for a new one only to discover that it wouldn't make any difference.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

The tank at the back of the toilet is higher than the toilet bowl.

That makes sense when you explain it like that. Thanks much!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

kid sinister posted:

How hard is your water? You might just have to clean out the jets in the bowl, both the big one at the bottom and the little ones around the underside of the rim. A wire coat hanger usually works pretty good for this, just be careful not to scratch the porcelain.

That's a good suggestion and it makes sense. The water here is pretty hard. A lot of calcium and some iron and other trace metals (based on my amateur observations of the stains in my tub and toilet). I think I am going to just replace the whole thing though. This isn't a situation where I am thinking, "well, it would be a nice toilet if it just flushed correctly". The whole thing is in terrible shape and the area in the bowl between the top of the water and the rim is just filthy with mineral deposits. I'm guessing that is a result of very slow leaking from the jets over the course of years combined with it only getting flushed once in a blue moon.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Dillbag posted:

This guy did our home inspection. I got a 25-page report similar to this (without as many deficiencies, of course) and I got to watch him freak the poo poo out of my realtor. Best $650 I've ever spent.

After seeing the report, I wouldn't have blinked if you told me you spent $3000 on it. I've owned my house for 10 years and I'd gladly pay him $650 to come over and do an inspection just as a maintenance guide.

Do inspectors have the power to condemn things or force you to move out if they find problems that make a home non-inhabitable?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Motronic posted:

No, but they sure do know the phone numbers of the people who can do that.

Gounads posted:

If you have a home inspection done on a house your thinking about buying, and the inspector finds something that makes the home uninhabitable, the sellers are required to disclose that information to anyone else looking to buy the house. (At least in this state, MA)

I've owned my house for 10 years and have no plans to move out in my lifetime, but can see the benefit of having a guy like that do an inspection on my house so I can be aware of current and future problems that I need to take care of. My concern was that he might come in and say something like, "Sorry, you have the wrong controller module installed on your furnace that has been working fine for 20 years. Your furnace will legally be turned off until you get a licensed furnace tech in here to install a whole new furnace for $6000. Since it is January in Minnesota with subzero high temps for the next month, your house is also uninhabitable now and you will have to find somewhere else to live in the interest of child welfare until this problem is resolved."

Gross exaggeration, but that is along the lines of what concerns me if I have an inspector come check my house out.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Wild EEPROM posted:

I'd pay extra to not have to read all this HOA poo poo that comes up every dozen pages or so and goes on for another dozen pages

HOA horror stories are one of my favorite parts of this thread. Schadenfreude more than anything, really.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I had some email conversations that started by me asking if he could personally recommend any inspectors in my area of the USA. Very friendly, helpful guy, and extremely informative (even though I was just some random guy on the internet having an email conversation and not paying him a dime), but, from what I gathered, there was a zero left off of that $650 figure. Not to say that his report isn't worth $6500 (I believe he is worth every penny). From my conversations with him and the amount of time he puts into inspecting a house and creating his reports, I'm thinking there is no way in hell you are getting it for $650 unless his hourly fee is well below minimum wage.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 10, 2015

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Don't garage doors have a pressure sensor? All the ones I've known in the past 20-30 years or so use the IR sensor, but I seem to remember in my younger days before they used IR that if you shoved something under the garage door, it would stop and open back up.

edit: if pressure sensors have been replaced by IR optic sensors, I just came up with a new idea for a high output can crusher.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 17, 2015

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

CopperHound posted:

Why do all these improperly installed sensors still have all the excess wire slack? Are they delusional enough to think that they will fix it later? :effort:

Maybe they have the same problem I do where spiders build webs in front of the sensors and leaves and other debris get stuck in the web and block the sensors and they don't want to clean them because eww spiders.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

"restaurants..".
:crossarms:

LMBO at the mental image of eating under a loving sun.

Maybe the mean in the kitchen.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Not crappy construction, but this seems to be the most knowledgeable place about code issues, so I have a question.

I'm in charge of getting some additional lighting installed in the office at my job. The lights we want are LED strip lights that hang about 3" below the ceiling tile. One of them will be located about 12" from a fire sprinkler head. I mentioned this concern to an electrician who is bidding on the project and he basically shrugged it off. Is it the electrician's responsibility to make sure that his install does not violate any other building codes, or does his responsibility end at installing up to electrical code? If it is the latter, what steps do I need to take prior to accepting the bid and getting the work done to make sure the finished product won't violate fire code?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I remember a thread for household wiring with the title "don't burn your house down", but I'll be damned if I can find it. The wires in my A/C heat exchanger are in bad shape and I'd like to replace them. They are flexible stranded 12 AWG with a thick rubber insulation that I assume is for abrasion resistance due to the vibration from the fan and compressor. My local hardware store doesn't have anything like that, so I need to order it online, but I don't know what it is called. Can somebody give me a link to what I need?

Also, I ordered a cheap connector (butt, spade, ring, quick, etc.) assortment and wire nut assortment from Amazon and they are pretty crappy. Any suggestions for brand names of good quality connectors and wire nuts?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

kid sinister posted:

Come on dude, it's stickied here. That being said, you might be looking for something SJOOW cable.

Well, that explains why I couldn't find it in Ask/Tell. I was starting to believe that thread took a serious downhill turn and got completely deleted from the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

c0ldfuse posted:

1) Door off center
2) Bottom of door not flush with porch.
3) Undersized posts as previously mentioned.
4) One of the following is not perfectly straight: the door, stone slab on top of the cinder blocks, or the siding. My guess is
5) Bottom of dormer window meets exactly at roof. Leak city as with this specific gable design (no overhang) as if the rain is coming from whatever direction this is, it will hit the roof directly at the sill (not much room for flashing there eh?). Not to mention that you're going to get a poo poo ton of water into the room if you accidentally leave it open and it rains.
6) Since we're talking about water--we'll assume that unnecessary roof thing or whatever the gently caress it is over the door carries a consistent line to the actual roof since we can't see. Due to the height of it, the water will run down towards the edges of the dormer which is probably okay but non-ideal.

7. Four unique windows.