Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

There's a kind of archimedes screw inside the drum walls so the concrete is evenly distributed on the truck/road and during mixing/pouring. The slow spin on the road is to keep it from setting, then when they get to the site they'll crank up the speed and mix for a minute before changing the spin direction to place it (or after they add water to the mix to make it weaker easier to work with).

e: ^^^ It's mixed at the plant, not along the way. The mixer works way harder/faster than the truck could, and it's elevated so the truck just drives under and gets loaded.

Dance McPants fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Tunnel summary to the best of my knowledge:

Rabbi of an orthodox synagogue is real popular and gets worried when he dies people will call him the Messiah so he tells everyone around him he is definitely NOT the Messiah.

He dies a while ago and a large portion of the synagogue splinters and calls him the Messiah and there is a long legal battle regarding which group owns the synagogue and it's settled that the non-Messiah believers own it.

The tunnels are discovered under the dead Rabbi's vacant home and it's assumed the splinter group did it to pray and study in the place he lived.

The current leaders don't want their buildings to collapse and cooperate with efforts to fill the tunnels with concrete. The splinter group tries to disrupt this and that's where we get the tunnel video from.

The tunnels also go to the women's dormitory and a mattress was seen being pulled out of the tunnels, make of this what you will.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Sirotan posted:

How could you make this post without linking to it??

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

dunno bout lead but asbestos testing is expensive, especially since it was used in everything through like the 80s-90s so you gotta take a lot of samples (insulation, tiling, siding, etc). I recently had a pipe freeze and burst and before the demo could happen for the repairs they tested everything for asbestos (house was built in 1940 and moved in the 70s) and the guy said just from looking at the place it was "50/50". I won the coin toss and I was able to move back within 7 months instead of over a year it would've taken with the abatement, plus I got like $4k in free asbestos testing so I can do other work if i want to now.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

My dream is to be able to buy a plot of land outright and slowly build a house with zero oversight or inspections, as God intended. And after I get old/bored/the house starts falling apart I can legally sell it with only a cursory inspection after closing, like the US intended.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Say what you want about the policy of disposing of the waste products of energy generation in the atmosphere, but no one is likely to forget about it.

Coal plant burnt ash emissions are cool cause in addition to the Carbon and Sulfur they also emit more radiation than (shielded) nuclear waste or living next to a nuke plant!

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

So what you're saying is if your guests are out staying their welcome on the patio, you just have to go to the downstairs bathroom and let loose a particularly stinky one and turn on the fan.

Rented a walkout basement apartment once that the homeowner bragged he finished himself. I was smoking some tree and thought the bathroom plus the exhaust fan would be the best option since it was summer and the upstairs family were outside in the yard a lot, but the exhaust just went straight to their living room (which retroactively made me very self-conscious about all the dumps i took in there). He comes down one day and tells me this and that he explained it away to his wife as a skunk...then asks if he can bum some off me since "he doesn't do that anymore". I end up giving him a bag of brown leaves I already vaped and a week later he tells me how "fire" that poo poo was.

Wish I took a picture of the utility room he made to house the hot water heater and ethernet (together for some reason), it was incredible. A 3'x3' closet with windows-95 screensaver rear end plumbing that required you to Catherine Zeta-Jones your way for access, but damnit I needed internet and wasn't as fat back then so I did it.

Same guy didn't pay his HOA fee for trash pickup so my "fully furnished apartment" didn't include trash pickup because of the "bullshit" $17/month charge so I had to take my garbage to work. Also once told me "yeah income taxes are illegal and if you just fill out your taxes, mail them in but don't sign it you don't have to pay!" I replied "even if that's true the feds will still come for you" and his response was "oh yeah i'm being audited but they got nothing on me".

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Guy said he took his to the gas station dumpster. “That’s illegal, but could you take mine too?” “No it isn’t, but, Well, then I’d have to take more in my truck, and it’s not mine” “so’ fully furnished’ doesn’t include trash pickup?” “Sorry dude”

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Anyone else reminded of that time the 3 Stooges pretended to be plumbers? "Up to the basement!"

No wonder the water doesn't work, this pipe is all clogged up with wires!

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

P.E. speaking*: engineers have always sucked. They're told they're super smart and important from a young age, their co-workers and sometimes superiors have to defer to their decisions, but they typically aren't in management (for good reason since they don't understand people) and resent this, assuming since they're good at math they're good at everything and should be in charge. Clearly they know all relevant facts or can assume the rest for every problem in the world and conclude the cause as solely technical inefficiencies which can be fixed by the right plucky individual if people WOULD JUST loving LISTEN. If you take away the "good at math" thing and "not in management" you get Musk, which I think is why he keeps calling himself an engineer and should be used as an example in the P.E. examination ethics section as a Cautionary Tale (jk, I've taken the exam and about a dozen practice ones and saw maybe 2 or 3 ethics questions total. Hard to square the 'ethics' circle with what a lot of engineers are tasked with doing daily)

I've seen engineers make moonshine in stills held together with lead solder thinking that activated carbon would "filter that out", I've had to heavily revise reports from P.E.s with multiple degrees full of 5th grade grammar and spelling mistakes with no coherent structure, I've pressed libertarian engineers who want no government with "how would you get work?" and "do you want Comcast in control of your water, electricity, and roads?" and gotten back blank stares. For some reason the worst was a story I heard as an intern from a coworker who spent 40 years with the department of transportation and told me about an engineer he knew for years who got his PhD and immediately updated his business cards, letterhead, etc., to reflect this and WOULD NOT RESPOND if you called him by anything other than "Doctor". Fuuuuuuck you, try that at a jobsite and get (rightfully) bullied out of there within an hour (not that they'd spend more than an hour at any site).

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Like, I have no idea what my title is, because it doesn't matter. I may technically be a software engineer. But I'm not gonna call myself that because software engineering isn't real engineering. But some people call themselves that in casual conversation, and they're usually the ones with Opinions, ime.

lol i was working as a systems analyst at a place that called my role "Problem Solver", which I refused to put on my resume because if I saw that on a resume i would throw it in the trash.

*Never used my stamp (was/am always in the field and barely do any design work), just work in civil/environmental/construction and it helped me get my current job. And stamps/embossers are cool.

edit: just thought about how many Effective Altruist engineers i've known and how their whole argument is based on premises like the fields of Economics and Public Health being 100% solved and mathematically accurate, how it makes sense that all the top E.A.s focus on hoarding their wealth and buying mansions (for the greatest good), and how loving dumb the worry over poo poo like Roko's Basilisk is when we already have manmade horrors beyond our comprehension at home.

Dance McPants fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

look at the frame right of the door, that and the one above are two boards they had to make odd cuts in instead of just cutting off a bigger corner from the door. The nails on the top of the door make me think there's a frame of 2x4s on the other side, and that they didn't want to cut through this, but this assumes they made the door before the dang shed (which...tracks with the rest of the logic here).

It's fascinating, trying to reverse-engineer how and why they did...all of this. I could spend hours just on the big window in the other picture. Why is it so low on the wall? Did they cut and install that diagonal brace before thinking about the window? Did they only have like a dozen 2x4s and once they cut them they couldn't/wouldn't get more? Who made these choices? Why?

e: I'm now thinking it was intended to be a full A-frame but they didn't want to cut the tree branches overhead so they came to this...compromise for the weird roof. This whole shed is like the programming equivalent of "99 bugs to fix. Fix one, compile it, 117 bugs to fix".

Dance McPants fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 9, 2024