Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Lager posted:

One of my wife's favorite gifts I've given was a cast iron skull that lives in our fireplace and glows red when we light a fire.

:drat: you got any pics of this glowing skull by chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Dillbag posted:

May I suggest that the answer is actually before sewage starts backing up into your basement?

It's about $20k and insurance won't pay anything until the pipe fails on its own

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Lager posted:

One of my wife's favorite gifts I've given was a cast iron skull that lives in our fireplace and glows red when we light a fire.

I had no idea that I needed one of these for my woodstove until I read these words. Just picked one up from Etsy for $50

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
gently caress, now I want a glowing skull but have nowhere to burn it

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Got to find a way to make the skull you already have glow, without fire.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

PainterofCrap posted:

I had no idea that I needed one of these for my woodstove until I read these words. Just picked one up from Etsy for $50

How could you make this post without linking to it??

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Sirotan posted:

How could you make this post without linking to it??

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

OK, OK, sorry
jeez

https://www.etsy.com/listing/739887..._search_click=1

about 5-inches by 7-inches

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 23, 2024

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I saw that one, but its hand painted, not sure it will go in a fire. Or it will

:tif:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Anything can go in a fire once.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

The skull is resin lol do not loving burn it

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

BMan posted:

Yep, that's classic Etsy bullshit for you. Cast iron design, cheap toxic resin material. Always triple check that stuff.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Platystemon posted:

I’m shocked that it’s not more expensive.

The insurance companies must believe Tampa to be as hurricane‐proof as the residents do.

isn't tampa the one major city in south florida that has never been hit by a hurricane somehow?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

BMan posted:

BAAAWAAAA I'm an idiot!

But I have a niece who loves this type of stuff, so she'll get it.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Yep, that's classic Etsy bullshit for you. Cast iron design, cheap toxic resin material. Always triple check that stuff.

owned.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

That sounds rad and now I’m shopping.

Post it if you find one

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

St_Ides posted:

Post it if you find one

https://www.amazon.com/HomArt-Cast-Iron-Skull-Black/dp/B074S6N6QF

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
gently caress Amazon

Here is the same iron skull, looks rather realistic

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1552925777/cast-iron-skull-halloween

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Here's a pic of the one we have. It has a dull red glow after a while, but it's hard to see on a picture until you turn the fire off. But yeah, it's cool as gently caress and I love this derail.

Edit: I'm dumb and can't get it to work on mobile, will try in a bit.

Edit 2: Haha, there we go. Sorry for the boomer energy.

Lager fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 24, 2024

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

:justpost: pic

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lager posted:

Here's a pic of the one we have. It has a dull red glow after a while, but it's hard to see on a picture until you turn the fire off. But yeah, it's cool as gently caress and I love this derail.

You have to copy the link to the image, not just the imgur page it's embedded in.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Nitrox posted:

gently caress Amazon

Here is the same iron skull, looks rather realistic

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1552925777/cast-iron-skull-halloween

It costs 50% more and is using the same pic as amazon. How do you know they're not just dropshipping it from Amazon and keeping 20 bucks

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Cat Hatter posted:

True, but comparing to cast iron is a bit disingenuous considering Home Depot etc. don't really even sell parts for it because the only people who've installed it in the past 44 years are weirdos that want more of a challenge or something.

I had a client upgrade to cast iron piping for the first five feet for every toilet to make it quieter. I believe it was insulated too but the details are fuzzy now.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

StormDrain posted:

I had a client upgrade to cast iron piping for the first five feet for every toilet to make it quieter. I believe it was insulated too but the details are fuzzy now.

Which part of the process was quieter? Sorry if this seems dumb. I thought the flushing sound is mostly coming out of the bowl? I thought the fart sounds are mostly coming out of a butt? Is the cast iron mostly supposed to stop the sound from the toilet in the floor above you?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Water running down (PVC) pipes can make a surprising commotion. It's not fun to be having a quiet evening at home and it sounds like Niagra coming down the wall. Cast iron really muffles it.

I replaced most of my cast (as needed) and lead(!) with PVC and the sound of water draining through it, as heard from the top of my basement steps, triggered me for the better part of a year.

The move I've been seeing in various newer/renovated homes is to stuff fiberglass insulation under tubs, showers, and down pipe chases in the walls, on the back side of the drywall.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

thinking about buying one of these and then quietly putting it on the fake logs in the gas fireplace at a relative’s house

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah I was curious if that might cause trouble or not. Like if it might damage the fake logs over time, or create some funny airflow down by the burners that leads to soot buildup or what have you.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Mine isn't as metal.

Was gifted wine in a glass skull bottle, painted it black, stuffed some LEDs inside.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PainterofCrap posted:

Water running down (PVC) pipes can make a surprising commotion. It's not fun to be having a quiet evening at home and it sounds like Niagra coming down the wall. Cast iron really muffles it.

I replaced most of my cast (as needed) and lead(!) with PVC and the sound of water draining through it, as heard from the top of my basement steps, triggered me for the better part of a year.

The move I've been seeing in various newer/renovated homes is to stuff fiberglass insulation under tubs, showers, and down pipe chases in the walls, on the back side of the drywall.

Grover vindicated.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

esquilax posted:

It costs 50% more and is using the same pic as amazon. How do you know they're not just dropshipping it from Amazon and keeping 20 bucks
Let's be real, they're all getting drop shipped from the same place, no matter where you shop. According to Google shopping, it's available from at least six different retailers, Amazon listed as lowest priced so far.

Here you can get a set of 2 for $88
https://thegildedthistle.com/produc...qBoCPXIQAvD_BwE

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That isn't even a very cool skull though. How hard can it be to cast iron? I smell a goon project!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Platystemon posted:

Grover vindicated.

Excuse me, there was no mention of staircases. :grovertoot:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

skulls

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Okay I gotta say I'm a bit higher on skulls now than I was a few pages ago.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

VelociBacon posted:

Skull art is just people art with all the icky parts removed.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Nitrox posted:

Let's be real, they're all getting drop shipped from the same place, no matter where you shop. According to Google shopping, it's available from at least six different retailers, Amazon listed as lowest priced so far.

Here you can get a set of 2 for $88
https://thegildedthistle.com/produc...qBoCPXIQAvD_BwE

It's especially important to buy metal goods that you'll be heating to high temperatures directly from the producer. You don't want to be surprised by a low quality metal or a cast full of bubbles. You want to be sure that whoever smelt it, dealt it.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

canyoneer posted:

smelt it, dealt it.

I hate and love you

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Lager posted:

Edit 2: Haha, there we go. Sorry for the boomer energy.

This is exactly as radical as I expected thank you op you did not disappoint

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They just glow red from black body radiation, right, same any material at equal temperature? They’re not doing anything more interesting with physics or chemistry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

canyoneer posted:

You want to be sure that whoever smelt it, dealt it.

:golfclap: