Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
New chapter is up.

New-Baam is a goddamned rear end-kicking machine, definitely enjoying this; it'll be interesting to see if this "FUG" thing turns out to be the case. I like the big guy with the shape changing thing over his shoulder depending on what he's trying to do. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pyronic posted:

I'm predicting a Vegeta-style explosion of the shinsoo test machine.

I want this so bad and expect it entirely with the third test ending up as Baam, the crazy pyro girl and our current protagonist taking on other teams of three to progress upward. Possibly add in the big guy who just got the top score to Baam's team.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Volume 2, Chapter 7 is up now.

Glad to see we weren't disappointed with Baam Viole in the Vegeta-style blasting department. :neckbeard:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Question about the most recent chapter: Did Viole slow time, or was he moving really rapidly, or was she just stunned that he wasn't affected by her fire at all? The movement of her hand and him saying Stop makes me think he can concentrate shinsoo in order to either slow time or slow down perception of time, but it's hard to be sure yet.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well that answers my question from last chapter about Viole's abilities. Nice stuff, though some action soon would be great too.

e: Going back to reread about where he got that ability really helps you appreciate just how much of a prodigy Baam is: He was struck by the Ranker using shinsoo to temporarily stop movement, an ability that took the Ranker decades to master, and then immediately duplicated the effect in an extraordinarily tense situation. His ability to control and learn about shinsoo isn't just good or strong, it seems practically as inborn as everyone else's ability to breathe. :black101:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 24, 2012

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well that is :black101: as all hell, talk about merciless.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

cooldude2.0 posted:

In a system dominated by being 3 steps ahead of your opponent, it's surprising that the ranker wouldn't see that coming. I can't believe that anyone who made it to floor 20 would try something that didn't work a second time. The first attempt was probably just a lure.

I can't help but think the specific regular he'd help pass is Wagnan. The assassination option could be the second best regular, to flaunt the test, or maybe just the little girl, to prove he's stone cold. Better yet, maybe the target is actually a specific ranker.

Based on the rumor the tester heard I'm beginning to wonder if Viole isn't part of FUG. I think the author would've showed Viole killing the regular if he had been the one to do it. It seems more likely to me that Viole is a lone wolf or part of a separate group, and that he just happened to wind up in a group with a FUG member. Everyone takes him for a member of FUG even though he isn't.

e: Except I just realized earlier he admitted to being in FUG. :doh:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 17, 2012

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Volume 2, Chapter 16 is out.

Great fight scene between Viole and the Ranker, I very much doubt this is all Viole is capable of though. I do like that until now he has been relying on the trick he learned so far back to bring down enemies. Why waste time being flashy if you can freeze someone and defeat them that way? Assumedly he has more up his sleeve than that.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

cooldude2.0 posted:

Do any of these korean webcomics ever get animated?
This series really deserves it, though maybe it should wait until there's more material. An "anime only ending" would be a travesty.

It seems like it'd be a really easy anime to do filler for as well, given a time skip and the number of floors we didn't see between Baam's arc and Viole's arc.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

What a good chapter. From the way Viole(t) dealt with the worm guy thing controlling Yeon, he knew exactly what do to, which implies to me that he knows those two.

It seems like the control wasn't total, as he managed to piss her off to get her to try and yell at him. This chapter has some solid images all around, but I think it's made me an even bigger fan of Teddy. The guy has a pretty fierce expression here, not to mention the reveal of him as the true devil-arm.

Also to nitpick, the scanlator comments added in are annoying. "Kinky" etc. I appreciate the work they put in but toning down the commentary within the strip itself would be nice.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nahxela posted:

I wish the chapters were longer than 6 pages :negative:

I almost want to swear off reading this until it's done so I can marathon it, I want to know what happens next pretty bad.

Looks like they're working on improving their chances still, and my assumption is Koon is the man in charge because it's Koon we're talking about here. That said... where's the Gator!? :mad:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Serious Frolicking posted:

Koon always plays the long game.

This chapter rocked. I knew Koon wouldn't disappoint. :allears:

Definitely needs more turtles though.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lieutenant Hoffman posted:

http://www.mangareader.net/tower-of-god/105

Well reading that the latest chapter it looks like Rachel is probably more aware of what Koon is doing then previously thought. If she is aware that Koon knows she has been lying then their relationship is even more twisted up. Nice face from Rachel on the last page.

How do you get this conclusion out of that chapter? She doesn't seem to know at all and thinks she is getting away with tricking Koon as far as I can tell.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shugojin posted:

I'm reading it that way too. She's really petty and doesn't seem to have much foresight.

Meanwhile Koon is evidently playing the long game to get revenge. He's also petty but he has almost nothing but foresight.

Koon's apology to Baam is a nice touch; he knows the Baam he knew wouldn't approve of his pursuit for vengeance but he's going to do it anyway. Man I can't wait for Koon and Viole to meet up.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

For some odd reason everything the fake Viole said was voiced in my head by the Hercule english dub voice from DBZ, which made it even better. Looking forward to seeing Hwaryun's role in all this and getting some answers as to what the hell is going on behind the scenes.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

khy posted:

I know this is from back on Page 5, but where was the skyrim namedrop? I was looking for it and could never find it :(

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/82306/tower-of-god_v2_by_the-company

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Serious Frolicking posted:

I was hoping that Baam's motivations were a bit more complex, actually. The hostage thing is a bit simplistic. He isn't even chasing Rachel to get answers.

It is a nice reveal with respect to another aspect of Baam though: I initially assumed that he had refused to team up with the others because he had a broken heart / was a jerk now / was arrogant. It turns out it's actually much more true to his original character: he refused them at first to try and protect them. He knew Wangnan and the others would be scrutinized by FUG and possibly used as additional leverage to get him to act a certain way or even killed, and he didn't want to see more people hurt because of him. I think he was totally convinced to follow that path until Wangnan's speech about the tower and his friends in "The Preys" (02), which was enough to move his mind to an undecided point.

How long they remain a team should be really interesting to watch unfold.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
:dance: I can't wait, I love the fights in this story more than just about any other. Shinsoo is a pretty malleable force leading to a lot of interesting uses.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
:dance: Some fantastic action there. Seeing this series in an anime format would be pretty fantastic.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
This story has the most unbearable cliffhangers I swear to god. :f5: The next arc is going to be amazing. Wonder if Viole will have gotten involved with our favorite pyromaniac in the last two years.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shugojin posted:

The speed group's translations are just as readable and are wholly lacking in both creepy comments and creepy pictures. It's really all I ask for from translations.

Gotta agree with this, the creepy comments were really making me dislike the series and the author doesn't deserve that.

Also this was a fun little extra chapter. :3:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

lil baby anime posted:

I'm kinda used to expecting a huge fight and only getting a small one but drat was this a pleasant surprise. Viole whipped out a huge bag of tricks and just tore them up. He's on a completely different level. Completely stopping the pipsqueak's lightning spear, lighting em up with 5 little balls of energy, ahhhh this chapter is so good

To make sure I was reading through this action correctly, The woman with Baam is the one who was controlling the lighthouse the whole time right? Including when she made the triangle shield against the lightning spear? I ask because it looks a lot like Baam was totally ready to handle it himself but that she's pretty proficient in her own right in terms of working as a team.

Next chapter is going to be something amazing.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

I'm so loving confused from this. So she's clearly bullshitting about her purpose being to trap and kill Koon, but rather it's to catch Viole. And Koon obviously doesn't recognize Baam/Viole, which is understandable to some extent. So did Baam freeze the guy and take the detonator back and then give it to that psycho? And she's blowing it up to presumably cover their escape? Was Viole telling that girl that he would kill her if she screwed with his friends again?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

pnumoman posted:

Daaaaamn. Interesting new chapter. Did you guys get a translation yet?

New chapter spoilers, obviously:
I guess I was wrong about Dan being dead, but he isn't gonna be fast anymore... And OMG, the RETURN OF MANGATOR!

I'm pretty surprised they left Dan alive but maybe it'll turn into something good and not cliche as gently caress. I am so happy to see the best character is back though. ManGator rules.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm fine with that, the sooner we get to this big meeting clash the better. :frogon:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
ToG 140

:cthulhu: Octopuuuuus! :buddy:

Also, good call TheDemon, pretty close with that prediction.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hietala posted:

What a twist~

What happens if Baam wins though, does he win himself?

Well, Beta implied that it would bind him to whoever won, so my expectation if he won is that someone from Fug would use it on him; presumably one of his Fug appointed teammates. What he does from here on will be interesting; does he reveal himself? Spill Fugs plan publicly? Threaten to off himself?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

How do I put this gently...

Baam, brother, she's just not into you. Don't be a creeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

The single best character in this whole series.

Maizano is #2. :colbert:

Looking forward to this dispute, though I don't really get why Baam can't just win and then give Androssi her name back? It sounds like maybe the Families would still see it as an excuse because she didn't get the name back herself?