Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Lol, found this comic last week, didn't realize until now that the scanslation blurb has a link to the raws so I can just read the raws straight.

I understand why the team decided to rename her Rachel, or rather, went with Lahel in the beginning. It's very difficult to distinguish between ra and la sounds in Korean, but more than that, it's a very odd pronunciation of Rachel. Instead of "ray-CHull", it's a bastardized, softer version of "ra-SHELL" or Rachelle. (trying to use SH sounds in written Korean is loving murderous, bordering on impossible) Purely phonetically, it's written in Korean as Lahell (or Lahel, as they went with before). So the author's use of Rachel aside, her name is really Rachelle as everyone pronounces it in the comic. Or you can pretend that Lahel is a weird, alternate universe pronunciation of Rachel.

Or you can forget all that and call her blonde bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

The Blind Eye posted:

So Question: When she said Night the original script could have also read Baam?

Interest is hitting critical mass here. I NEED the next chapter NOW!

Yes. Baam and night are the same word in Korean. When Rachel says she's afraid, it is ambiguous as to whether she means Baam or the night. Kinda the whole point of his name; baam in Korean means either night or chestnut so unless I missed something, I see his name as Night, not Baam, and certainly not Chestnut.

pnumoman fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 26, 2011

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

The translation took a dip. Story's still good though. They just need a good editor.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Let me know if you guys want summaries of raw chapters. I'm too lazy/busy to ever do full blown translations, but I'll be more than happy to write up a quick summary if chapters get delayed or you just can't wait for the scanslation.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Are there any manga or manhwa similar to this? I've been checking out the Recommending Seinen but theres so many options I cant seem to choose..

Another thing that worries me about this manga is that since the author doesnt have to meet any sort of deadline (I think) are we going to expect a chapter every week like the Shonen Jump mangas?

It's a Monday updating web comic on Naver (S. Korea's most popular web portal). The author definitely has weekly deadlines and regularly meets them.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

If you live in the US the Raws come out in the afternoon on sunday. As far as other Webcomics I second Trace/Noblesse being darn good, I'm liking Dr.Frost and City of the Dead magician so far as well, but they don't have much translated yet. I have a soft spot for knights run but that translation sadly got dropped :smith:

Yeah, I've just recently started browsing through the Naver comics; some of them are really good. If I was still in college, I'd offer my translation services to a scans group, but now I have bills to pay. :(

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

pandaK posted:

We need to send all of our cash moneys to this guy so that he can fulltime update forever

Um...the translators or the actual artist? Because the actual creator is a professional, and gets paid by Naver, the Korean website that hosts the original, for this comic.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Sarcophallus posted:

Speaking of - I've been told that he's paid based on some combination of views and ratings. With that said if you want to support the author check out his comic at:

http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/list.nhn?titleId=183559

Supposing you can make an account, you could even help raise his already high ratings. (I think the lowest he's gotten was a 9.4).

Yes, please visit the naver sites of Korean webcomics you enjoy. I think the ones being translated are Tower of God, Noblesse, and Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School. The translators usually have the links to the chapter in goo.gl form; give the professionals a pageview or two!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

If you want to venture out into raw territory, I haven't seen The Wilds (more accurately "Teenage Girls: The Wilds"? Anyone have a nice, pithy, single word synonym for teenage girls?) translated at all, and it's a pretty good harem comedy/fighting webcomic. And it has some drat pretty art.

Dude is the first male to be admitted into a formerly all-girl's fighting school. Hijinks ensue.

Did I mention it's purdy?

It's got a catgirl in it.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

filthychimp posted:

Girls of the Wild's is being translated regularly, though somehow its title got even engrishier.

Its premise isn't that original (a boy ends up as the only male student at a formerly all-girl high school, except the girls are all bloodthirsty and skilled martial artists), but the execution is a lot of fun.

Oh cool. Yeah, entirely derivative and overdone premise, but really well done.

But man, that title...

EDIT: And the translation in general, oi vey...but, I've seen much worse. And thanks for the tip Sarcophallus, about the ratings being tied into compensation somehow. Got me to register on the site; they used a SMS for verification, didn't mind at all I was in the US. (I used the 'Foreigner in a Foreign Land' registration option)

pnumoman fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 6, 2012

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Mo_Steel posted:

Question about the most recent chapter: Did Viole slow time, or was he moving really rapidly, or was she just stunned that he wasn't affected by her fire at all? The movement of her hand and him saying Stop makes me think he can concentrate shinsoo in order to either slow time or slow down perception of time, but it's hard to be sure yet.

The flames stopped while Viole was moving, so I'm assuming he stopped time or slowed it down enough as makes no difference. It's a bit unclear so I figure we'll get some clarification next week.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Mo_Steel posted:

Well that answers my question from last chapter about Viole's abilities. Nice stuff, though some action soon would be great too.

e: Going back to reread about where he got that ability really helps you appreciate just how much of a prodigy Baam is: He was struck by the Ranker using shinsoo to temporarily stop movement, an ability that took the Ranker decades to master, and then immediately duplicated the effect in an extraordinarily tense situation. His ability to control and learn about shinsoo isn't just good or strong, it seems practically as inborn as everyone else's ability to breathe. :black101:

Yeah; I assume he's such a prodigy because he's an Irregular, or vice versa.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Sarcophallus posted:

While I don't have much inclination either way with regards to the name translations, do keep in mind that the group using Lurker and Viole turned 'Rachel' into 'Lahel'. I think Viole may be correct (though I'll immediately point out I'm no expert on the matter), because the Korean doesn't have the 't' sound on the end of his name, it's something like 'Bi-ole' if I remember correctly. No clue on Lurker/Locker though.

It is definitely Viole and Lurker, not Violet and Locker.

I have no clue why they translated the names like that (the translator is bad); it's pretty obvious in Korean that those are the names. You're absolutely right in that Viole in Korean has no ending 't' sound. And the Korean words for Lurker has the "uh" modifier in the first syllable, making it "lurker". It most definitely does not have the "ah" modifier that would make it identical to the Korean word for locker...which is 'locker'.

EDIT: Also, I had no clue the translation was using those names, as I read the original.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Cbouncerrun posted:

I'm pretty sure he gets paid for doing the webcomic, and the length of a chapter probably isn't something he decides.

Yes, he is a professional that gets paid by Naver, the Korean web portal that hosts the comic. I did a small write-up on this in the Korean manwha thread; the short and skinny of it is that you should use the goo.gl links that are usually provided in the beginning of each translated chapter and go give a pageview to the original, Korean version of the webcomic at it's native site, Naver's webcomic portal. It's a simple and effective way of helping the professional that created the comic.

EDIT: Replaced link to a link to Tower of God's page.

pnumoman fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 27, 2012

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

I think it's just a general utterance, no specific meaning. Kinda like "tch" or any other onomatopoeia. Bad translators leave it in, even though it's something specific to Korean and doesn't work at all in English.

It's a very derisive 'tsk'. And you're right; it doesn't work in English when it's left as an onomatopoeia, so it's a bad translation job. 'Hmph' or something similar would work much better than 'chet'. (I read the raws, so now I'm wondering exactly how bad the translation is.)

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Mo_Steel posted:

I'm so loving confused from this. So she's clearly bullshitting about her purpose being to trap and kill Koon, but rather it's to catch Viole. And Koon obviously doesn't recognize Baam/Viole, which is understandable to some extent. So did Baam freeze the guy and take the detonator back and then give it to that psycho? And she's blowing it up to presumably cover their escape? Was Viole telling that girl that he would kill her if she screwed with his friends again?

Koon didn't recognize Baam/Viole because they didn't translate the red box when he speaks to Koon; the red box states that it is changing Baam/Viole's voice. Baam froze the guy and took the detonator back because he is being forced into playing along, and he was under the impression that he could force bunny-ears to not kill Koon. He clearly miscalculated; his threat to bunny-ears simply made her fully worship Baam/Viole as some sort of death god/Anti-Christ. And it's ambiguous right now as to whether bunny-ears's true aim is to kill Koon, or her true aim is to bring in Baam and she blew up the place to cover their tracks, or some combination of the two. I think it's the latter, personally. I mean, why infiltrate Koon's group if they weren't a growing threat that they would try to nip in the bud? And if it brings Baam under their thumb, so much the better.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Safe and Secure! posted:

Goddamnit. Please, please tell me nobody died, I want all of them to climb the tower and be happy. :(

Alternatively, I'd like to see Baam go nuts and completely gently caress up FUG.

Koon is almost certainly not dead, as we don't even get the hint of a body anywhere. Dan, on the other hand, is most certainly deader than dead.

Hodgepodge posted:

That must have been a mistranslation, or maybe he isn't aware that the term implies a sympathetic character.

Given that we still don't know anything about Rachel's true motivations, I think that's a premature statement to make.

pnumoman fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 11, 2013

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

She murdered a helpless man in cold blood because he didn't do what she wanted. How many times does she need to literally stab someone in the back to be considered a villain?

It feels more like she killed him because she got really defensive about him throwing her betrayals in her face. Which doesn't make it any better, but I just wanted to make that point. If anything, it makes her even more villainous.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

In regards to the anti-hero thing, I just want to remind everybody (or inform people for the first time), that to someone familiar with Korean society, the Tower itself and the ranking system is a pretty obvious criticism of Korean society in general. I won't go into it in much detail, because I'm tired and the post would be long as poo poo, but suffice it to say that the obsession with going up the tower, the crazy trials, and the increasingly lavish rewards for advancing up the tower make it very evident to the majority of the audience that the whole comic itself is a commentary of the society they live in.

As such,

copy posted:

e: I think I'm dumb above here and misusing anti-hero. Aren't anti-heroes protagonists by definition, so maybe that's what is going on here? If she is supposed to be a protagonist, then maybe what SIU meant when he said she was an anti-hero to Baam's hero was that we had two people who entered the tower, and Baam kept heroic qualities such as kindness and goodness while Rachel ditched that poo poo in an instant and decided to live life for herself an nobody else.
is a very real possibility. In any case, like I said before, all we know is what Rachel did, and not why. Before we know why, we cannot say with any sort of certainty what sort of a character she actually is, especially in light of what the author has said about her.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Safe and Secure! posted:

Are those two actually with FUG? In the second link posted her (Mangapirate?), they said they were just hired by FUG.

The second link is correct; the two of them are mercenary rankers that have been hired by FUG to infiltrate Koon's group and to take him out when FUG gives the order. The word the lady uses is a specific form of 'hire'/'request' that is only used when referring to professionals, so they are professional mercenaries as opposed to ordinary rankers that have been swayed by money or power or intimidation by FUG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Daaaaamn. Interesting new chapter. Did you guys get a translation yet?

New chapter spoilers, obviously:
I guess I was wrong about Dan being dead, but he isn't gonna be fast anymore... And OMG, the RETURN OF MANGATOR!