Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
So I just finished catching up on this over the past month and I really like the story and universe set up, it might be my favorite ongoing story. How frequent are updates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Arrrgh, every chapter we get closer and closer to Baam and Koon meeting up. This was okay, but it was another setup chapter after the previous chapter was nothing but setup itself.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Oh SIU, you massive cocktease.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Yesssssssssssssssssssssss. A million times yes.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Pretty boring chapter.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

It's pretty awesome watching Baaam go around tryin to save everyone while maintaining his cover.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

yessssssssssss That final page.

Also Lee Soo :allears:

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Hi my name is Baam, my hobbies include fighting, getting betrayed, and falling off of/into stuff.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

If Rachel got turned into a sword, it would be up to the Rachelsword wielder to have the strength to kill Zahard, right? Rachels individual strength wouldnt matter in that case. The Rachelsword would only be important because it has Rachel in it, who is an Irregular, and not bound by the rules of the tower, and therefore could kill Zahard.

Baam has infinite shinsoo control and is an insane wildcard while Rachel is just a normal person, id go so far as to say Rachel would be far easier to control. Epecially since her betrayals and killings were manipulated by FUG anyway. Theyve already got that poor dumb girl under thier finger.

Being irregular doesn't mean she can power up the thorn enough, though. Just because she's technically able to break the "No killing zahard" rule doesn't mean her powers would allow her or a thorn infused with her to accomplish the goal. If it became a weak rear end cardboard weapon I imagine Zahard would laugh it off, no matter how powerful the wielder. Baam seems to actually live up to the super powerful irregular moniker.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Considering the lowest ranked family head is 17th out of all rankers then yeah, the family heads tend to be pretty powerful. The top of the ranker list is basically the 4 big name irregulars (if you count Zahard as an irregular, which he kind of is), then a mishmash of family heads and zahard princesses with a couple of oddballs, like the leader of FUG.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 6, 2013

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Slime posted:

The ranks aren't really absolute indications of power, they're granted by people from within the tower. It would be no real surprise if someone's rank was determined by their political clout as it was by their actual abilities. The heads are probably pretty drat powerful sure, but you can't really use the ranking system as a precise indication of just how powerful.

There's been literally dozens of SIU blurbs that talk about the family heads and princesses and irregulars fighting each other to determine who's the most powerful. Admittedly there is definitely conjecture (Zahard never fought the irregulars who are ranked ahead of him, for instance) but SIU would've had to be lying about a lot of stuff if the ranking's determined by political clout.

The irregulars don't even have political clout as all of them but Mazino have disappeared. They got their ranking for doing ridiculous things you couldn't do without being absurdly powerful. Phantaminium for apparently making a mockery of Zahard's forces, Enryu for killing a guardian, and Mazino for scaling the tower faster than anyone and soundly defeating the previous 4th ranked (and now 5th ranked) ranker in Arie Hon.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 7, 2013

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Rak rules. I almost forgot how much he ruled because we hadn't seen him do anything for ages.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

TheDemon posted:

I think the great thing about Rak is he's not strong because he's ____ (fill in title here), he's strong because he's strong.

He's a giant loving Mangator who fights for his friends.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

Even Baam couldn't quite beat some random test proctor, though to be fair he didn't use his pseudo-ignition weapon.

When pushed he put up a good fight against one of the most powerful dudes in the tower. Baam's got the irregular super powers to stand up to anyone if the story demands it.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Nf3 posted:

The swordsmen with the cone shaped straw hat. The Gator calls him Cone-head. I guess he got punched so hard it threw him off the panel.

He got KO'd, on panel. After Rak stopped fire eating guy he had the inner monologue of "i'm so terrified I can't move" then Rak knocked him into a nearby rock.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Eh, setup chapter.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

I'm kind of wondering how the world of TOG at large let Baam slip through the cracks to FUG. Apparently there was some way for the information about an irregular showing up to get to the top with Yuri showing up before Baam even took his test. You'd think the families or zahards would've interfered with this giant FUG plot or would be more involved when an irregular just disappears from the major test level.

I guess it'd kind of spoil the story of the force of the major families came down on FUG and killed Baam before the story even started, I'm just wondering how Yuri and FUG were the first and only to know.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Sarcophallus posted:

Touché! So much for that idea.

Maybe it's an Opera thing? Repellista could've been watching as well.

Repellista seemed pretty oblivious as to why Yuri was trying to find Baam though. If she was the one who knew he was an irregular and passed on that info to Yuri and no one else it'd be kind of weird. Maybe being oblivious is a character trait of hers or something, but it seems really odd she just keeps it a secret that an irregular showed up, considering one of the previous 3 irregulars ran up the tower and murdered a bunch of Zahard folks.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

So happy Laure is back. Probably my favorite side character.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Baam going mental hss been building up for like 2 years and it's gonna be great.

I'm sure the team at hand is probably gonna deal with Beta while Baam gets his FUG hate out on Senior Mad Dog, then it all gets wrapped up by Hwa Ryun going "Well if it wasn't for this part of FUG you'd be melted down and all your friends would be dead!" to keep him on the path. Also not like Koon and Co. can deal with a bunch of high rankers coming down on them, but it's gonna be nice to see Baam with his team again.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 29, 2013

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

pinegala posted:

Where have the months series weapons gone? When was the last time we saw one of those?

The ranking Zahard Princesses own them and we're presumably a ways off from dealing with those people. MAybe when our intrepid FUGers start making waves on higher up floors, some of the Zahard and family affiliates will take notice.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

We've beaten Beta!

...We have to save Beta!

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Bernardo Orel posted:

Gator once again proves why he is the best character :kimchi:

Well, the best core character.

Laure's always the best.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Sindai posted:

Well now I'm thoroughly confused about where everyone is and who's going to be fighting who.

It literally cannot be a Tower of God arc without some weird jumbled confusion about what's going on.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

New one up.

http://mngacow.com/tower-of-god/s02-99/

Stuff's about to happen.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Koon with the dastardly plans.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Haha well, one of the most powerful people in the Tower just showed up, probably angry at Mr. Old rear end in a top hat.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Yeah Gustang's the only important character with a cigarette and white pants and shoes so far, don't blame anyone for not recalling him, though.

He's the only family head we've even seen up til now.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 11, 2014

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Well, that was nice. Hopefully SIU's rehab won't be too bad and/or long.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

That's Ha Jinsung, Baam's old teacher.

I feel like he's shown up at Karaka's place to bitch slap him for trying to kill Baam, since Jinsung's taken a huge liking to Baam and was his teacher for awhile. He's the dude who taught Karaka, as well, and presumably one of the very top guys in FUG.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Shugojin posted:

If he's actually the Prince of Zahard as some people suspect based on the title of this whole second part, then the connections to Zahard would include whatever deal he made at the top of the Tower to get immortality. Immortality takes many forms so this might explain Wangnan's miraculous recovery.

I mean, Karaka also has a ring. It's really vague what the ring even stands for.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

I'm pretty sure he talked about needing to get a minor surgery awhile back but wanted to finish the arc before he took time off to heal, IIRC? It's somewhere several months back in the post comic blurbs.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Yeah, straight to 12 months later. I suppose 12 months isn't a whole lot of time in the ToG universe, really.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Baam's still a big ol softie.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Well, these past couple of chapters shows Baam's ultimate weakness.

Mention the name Rachel and he shits himself and loses all composure and reason.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Bump, been awhile since this thread had some life despite the constant chapters. The last couple months have just been Baam falling into trap after trap due to amazing naivete.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Sleepy Owl posted:

I miss the weird games. The crazyball game lasted for like 3 chapters before comic went back to straight up fights.

It's probably really hard to design some crazy game for every situation and ya gotta have some fights.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Jose posted:

To add to that living in the tower in most places is generally extremely lovely.

I can only hope the absolutely horrible pacing is him using a bunch of fights to allow him to plan out more of the games that let them go up the tower

And even still you find tons of regulars who realize they're not good enough to climb the tower and stop and settle down for whatever reason.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Jose posted:

that was a lot of information and explains why rachel thinks baam is a monster. also why urek is interested in him. wonder when we're getting a full explanation of the thorn or why it required enryu killing the administrator

Considering Urek's whole thing is trying to find a way out of the tower, which Grace and Baam did, then he better be interested in Baam's deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Jose posted:

Is hwaryun a regular?

If she's in the tower and she's not a Ranker, Irregular, Administrator, or...fauna, she's a regular. Guides are treated as Regulars/Rankers in every other facet we've seen them, even if they are a bit unique. Even people native to the middle section of the tower are regulars.

Maybe Hwaryun is special and outside of that classification (she probably is special, at least), but we haven't seen anything yet that would imply she's not a regular.