Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Slime posted:

Also, someone must have been feeding him before Lahel came along.

Not necessarily. I'm under the impression that his life has been entirely sustained on Shinsoo, which could explain a number of things.

That said, Chapter 60 is out on naver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
New Chapter fixed link.

Starting to get interesting. The last few chapters have felt really slow..

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Sindai posted:

That stuff is also all on the ToG wikia.

So is the coffee-fanatic proctor male or female? When we first saw her characters definitely used feminine pronouns for her but recently they seem to have switched to masculine ones, like the "guy" in this chapter.

He's a guy. It was assumed he was female when he was first introduced because he wasn't referred to as male or female for a few chapters in. Same goes for Ho, Baam's blonde long-haired classmate. (Who is also male.)

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Frome posted:

Haha oops. I thought it was Baam yelling stop, but this makes more sense. Explains that extra light on the last panel as well.

Nope, that's Baam. Specifically, he's thinking it. All of the rectangular boxes in this chapter are his thoughts. He's using the Shinsoo technique he learned in the last test. :)

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Emo Rodeo posted:

If it's actually Lahel, I'll be shocked

Who else would it be? The only person unaccounted for is the 2nd irregular.

Additionally, Lahel can be seen standing in this chapter, when she's looking out the window toward Ho's funeral.

Either the coffee-monster or the guardian have made a deal of some sort with her.
It's also clear that she cares more about the tower than about Baam.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

AtomikKrab posted:

:science: Well it is a Webcomic, so maybe it would be good. :science:

I Suspect Yu was speaking to Headon. After all when speaking to Rachel he seemed pleased that Baam was entering the tower, I think this has all been an elaborate trick to hide Baam from Zahards minions. Rachel did it to save him.

gatdamn tags.

I agree that he was talking to Headon, since no one else knew about the guide. I don't really agree that Rachel did it to save him, it looks to me like she really thought she'd killed him. I don't think Headon would want Rachel to know the full extent of his plans for Baam, as she'd be a gigantic loose end. To Headon, it's probably best that as few people know about Baam as possible.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

canned_fruit posted:

Given the last page new chapters should be very soon hopefully.

The raw is in fact out, along with a short summary for those who don't want to wait to get an idea of what's going on:

Batoto posted:

After a 5 year timeskip, Yuri goes to Jeina Lefelista Zahad's house(not sure about the spelling), meets Kun Mascheni? Zahad along the way. Yuri asks Lefelista Zahad to find Baam in return for bringing her an item she wants. After Yuri leaves, Lefelista Zahad puts on an evil grin and says that the boring days are over, and Zahad's prince will come...

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Serious Frolicking posted:

The blond guy in the trash heap was the one Yuri sent out to look for Baam, I think. He is obviously not Baam himself.

I'm pretty sure he's implied to be the Prince of Zahard.

That's him wearing the ring in the first half of the preview, compare jacket sleeves. Baam actually makes a 1-panel appearance in the preview, his hair's all long again.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Lenaway posted:

Just keeps getting better

At first I thought he must just be vulnerable during the moment he attacks...but then the skeleton

Skeleton refers to what will happen to Prince when he fails (forced organ donation), not to Baam's strange Lobster exoskeleton.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Recursive Expanse posted:

This is a sort of body strengthening shinsoo test right? Given the way Baam took damage from a more mundane physical attack earlier, could it be possible that he doesn't know how, or simply cant use shinsoo to enhance his body? If I remember correctly, his talent with shinsoo is odd because he's very good at manipulating the ambient external forces. So, even with his crazy strengths, he could still fail this test.

I really think it was more of a fluke, all of the bombs before it were Shinsoo based so he didn't expect that one to do any damage either.

In any case, the raw's out if you're into spoiling yourself a bit without a translation:

http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detail.nhn?titleId=183559&no=88&weekday=mon

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

pnumoman posted:

Let me know if you guys want summaries of raw chapters. I'm too lazy/busy to ever do full blown translations, but I'll be more than happy to write up a quick summary if chapters get delayed or you just can't wait for the scanslation.

There's a pretty rough one out at the moment:
e: Whelp, nevermind. Imagewagon.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Chapter 8 came out quite early this week.

So Baam will be playing a game to determine whether he has to pick teammates or not (or something like that), and because this part is (supposedly) about Ja Wangnan, he'll almost certainly lose.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Slime posted:

I think he was the guy who had two swords. The Sword Which Flies Higher Than Any Other and The Sword Which Flies Lower Than Any Other.

He was the son of a potter.

Also it was mentioned that swords suck more and more as you climb the tower so I guess that might be why he lost.

Also, Rapdevil. That's a fantastic name.

Right - and the swords sucking as you climb the tower was from a blog post, the reasoning has to do with increasing shinsoo density as you climb, so they become more difficult to swing, or some-such. That's why Needle weapons are more popular. I suppose that goes for spears as well.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Freaksaus posted:

It was also mentioned during the crown game by another sword user http://mangafox.me/manga/tower_of_god/v01/c016/4.html

Are those blog posts translated somewhere?

I may have misremembered! There are in fact a couple of collections of the blog posts, between which you should be able to find most.

http://www.batoto.net/forums/topic/4774-master-author-blogtranslations-thread-2-updated-2012-03-12/

http://forums.mangafox.me/threads/244352-Spoilers-Author-s-Blog-Translations

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

pnumoman posted:

Um...the translators or the actual artist? Because the actual creator is a professional, and gets paid by Naver, the Korean website that hosts the original, for this comic.

Speaking of - I've been told that he's paid based on some combination of views and ratings. With that said if you want to support the author check out his comic at:

http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/list.nhn?titleId=183559

Supposing you can make an account, you could even help raise his already high ratings. (I think the lowest he's gotten was a 9.4).

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Reiche posted:

I think this might be the case. Remember when Lerolo or however his name goes sent a wave of shinsoo to all of the regulars and Baam was all "Was I supposed to feel nothing?" while everyone else was knocked on their asses? I think back then his ability was instinctual, but now he can probably control it extremely well.

I would go back and check, but I'm still at work and the sites are blocked.

I think, even more impressive than that was the first floor test, where the shinsoo density was something that "couldn't even be seen until the 20th floor." He ran through it like it was nothing. Even the Wing Tree guys thought it was a big deal - it was [e: a reason] why Yuri was going to give him the Wing Tree when she interrupted their test. Though, Ship got it instead.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Freaksaus posted:

He managed to get Quant with it every time during the final position test and he's a ranker. I think it's going to be effective for quite a while.

I was under the impression that Quant couldn't block it because he'd already used his 1 allowed room of Shinsoo - ironically the one he used to freeze Baam with at first. Given that he's not restricted, I assume he'd have some measure of defense against it.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
So there's another guy who's scanlating ToG, but is much faster than The Company, he just doesn't clean sound effects and weird text bubbles. I've typically refrained from posting these because they're hosted on image shack, but I've reuploaded them into an imgur album to make it more convenient.

RAW here:
http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detail.nhn?titleId=183559&no=98&weekday=mon
Give the author views!

NorthernColors scan here:
http://imgur.com/a/7ZrG1

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Cbouncerrun posted:

Also since Rapdevil didn't know where the remote was, he couldn't have let anyone into the room.

Rather, he didn't have a choice, the door was open the whole time since Prince had to be able to leave.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
New chapter, available here.

Imgur kind of dicked up the album view, just maximize the images.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Silver2195 posted:

Am I think only one who thinks Lurker and Viole make for sense than Locker and Violet? Lurker fits the guy's personality better, and Violet make no sense as a boy's name.

While I don't have much inclination either way with regards to the name translations, do keep in mind that the group using Lurker and Viole turned 'Rachel' into 'Lahel'. I think Viole may be correct (though I'll immediately point out I'm no expert on the matter), because the Korean doesn't have the 't' sound on the end of his name, it's something like 'Bi-ole' if I remember correctly. No clue on Lurker/Locker though.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

TheDemon posted:

There's a translation out, of what I thought was an unfortunately boring chapter, but its on image shack and I can't for the life of me figure out how to access full-sized pictures on that poo poo. Magnifying glass does nothing...

http://forums.mangafox.me/threads/234206-Raw-Chapters-Discussion-Thread-Spoiler?p=9944450&viewfull=1#post9944450

Maybe someone who isn't stupid can figure it out and mirror those.

You might have scripts disabled. It also forces a popup when you full-size them, image shack sucks a bit of dick. I tried to mirror them on imgur when they released, but they 'corrupted' and wouldn't all upload, so I figured it wasn't really worth the effort.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Nasgate posted:

Just finished the latest chapter, thought more were out than that...

Vol 2 shat on my favorite part of the manwha which was our irregular's derpyness. I personally hate brooding characters because they add nothing to a series besides frustration and usually really dumb looks. I hope Prince Zahad punches him in the face and we can get back to monster teamwork soon.

New Baam is radically different from old Baam but I don't know if I'd describe him in the way that you have. The whole no-eyes thing is getting overplayed a bit, but I don't feel like he brings 'brooding' and 'frustration' to the table. I get a lot of indifference from him, toward the regulars he's with and probably more importantly, to the 'test' itself. The whole idea of this FUG business he's up to is making a mockery of the testing procedure, which is effectively spitting in Zahard's face.

I don't know why he's redirecting his betrayal angst toward Zahard, but it definitely seems like something that'll come up in future chapters - I can't imagine we'll get through this part without a flashback at least mentioning his FUG induction.

Most importantly, though, it's been hinted this whole time that the old Baam is still hiding under his bangs. I won't go into raw discussion here, but feel free to get a peek at the next chapter and make up your mind on the situation here:
http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detail.nhn?titleId=183559&no=101&weekday=mon

As a final note you should hunt down some of the older blog posts, SIU shares quite a bit of his thought process on the characters and where he's going with the series. You can find those strewn about the Batoto forums.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Frome posted:

It definitely should come up in future chapters, but I think he may just be him realizing that his betrayal was less a personal thing and more the natural result of people wanting to climb the tower. Cuz that crap is happening to everyone on these floors. I think he probably just realizes that since all irregulars are guaranteed to be the strongest in the tower, he's in a better position than anyone else in existence to put an end to all the bullshit after he reaches the top.

This is more or less what I had in mind. I don't think he came to the conclusion by himself, though - if only because of his last lines in the part 1 epilogue. It was pretty obvious that he was directing his anger at her, so I figure the guide and FUG basically coached him into hating Zahard's system. That fits in with the change from his epilogue line to his response to Chicken Love, when questioned about his goal.

The way I see it at the moment is that Rachel was a sort of naive mother figure to him, and Hwa Ryun came in to inject the 'reality' of the tower. After all, Rachel thought the Tower was a magical tower where wonderful 'Fae' would guide children to the top. That was clearly not the case, even from the first two chapters. While Rachel realized it immediately when she came to the Tower, (Where she felt Headon basically told her to die), Baam didn't see any of it as unusual until after Rachel's betrayal, which did away with the naive innocence that she was responsible for in the first place.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Scott Bakula posted:

Rachel's betrayal was all designed to hide Baam from Zahard from what I remember though. They needed to have him appear dead so that the rulers wouldn't be aware of another irregular climbing the tower. I would have thought Baam would have been told of this once he'd been recovered after the betrayal took place

I'm hesitant to agree in the sense that I don't think Rachel was "in" on the plan at all, I'm under the impression she truly thought she'd killed him. I don't disagree that there's some sort of conspiratory plan to hide Baam between Yu Hansung and Headon.

Best as I can tell Baam wasn't told, because of these two frames. Or maybe Baam just wants to know if she was ignorant of the plan or in on it.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Early scan for 'Preys' 2:

http://imgur.com/a/ZEk0e

Magnifying glass icon in the top right maximizes, 7 pages total.

This weeks' chapter is really good.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/108937/tower-of-god_v2_ch20_by_the-company

Proper scan, though really the only difference is the better names and the much worse translation notes.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

So was the team victory at the end of this chapter a result of Baam being moved by Wangnan's words and deliberately giving them the last room, or was there some kind of trickery involved?

Baam knew which connector was his, since he opened his door, but even more than that, it says which connector is.. connected when they're plugged in. Finally - if Baam wanted to pass by himself, he would've had to hit the red button, the team victory was only possible with the blue button. Baam knew. I suspect Wangnan thought he tricked him, though.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
And would you just look at this early chapter release.

It's a pretty satisfying conclusion, I'd say.

There's a 1 week break though. So that's a bummer.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Sindai posted:

Where exactly does it say nobody's ever actually reached the top of the tower? I could have sworn it said all rankers are people who've reached the top.

Well there are a few mentions, but some background first: 'Ranks' are given to those who reach the 134th floor - there is a literal ranking committee of sorts (랭킹 관리국, Raengking Gwahnligook; or "Ranking Affairs Bureau") that determines how strong you are compared to others from your climb to the top. The top 1% of people to climb to the 134th floor are the "High Rankers". I don't believe ranks can change once you reach the top - if you were ranked 4th, the only way for your rank to change is for someone new to be ranked 1st through 4th - pushing your rank down by 1.

That's important because only High Rankers are given the privilege of taking the 135th floor test. In this sense I suppose that the act of being 'ranked' is the 134th test.

Anyway, we know 134 isn't the top because of various blog posts - what we know so far is conveniently collected here.

e: Thinking about it, I suppose you could move up in ranking by killing those ahead of you.
ee: Also, because they have to take the test from the Guardian as opposed to from the Zahard testing "protocol" of sorts - only Irregulars are eligible in the first place.

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 4, 2012

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Nasgate posted:

I thought it was the same organization but they changed the acronym?

This is Wingtree.

This is FUG.

Baam has more-or-less been formally invited to both; he just doesn't know about his Wingtree invitation from Yuri yet.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Silver2195 posted:

I don't get why this thread likes that character so much. He's just a Klingon-equivalent used to make tsundere jokes.

Personally, I'm looking forward to more of characters like Anak, Koon, and Jaina being all :smug: and :master:.

I think your problem is that you just haven't got a banana.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
New chapter is out. Reuploaded for your convenience.

Though actually it's not very convenient, I guess Imgur changed some things around and now you have to click the gear to get the full resolution images. 6 pages in total.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Hodgepodge posted:

That kind of makes me wonder if FUG wasn't partly behind Wangnan's previous failures to pass the level 20 test. Despite not being a Viole-style ubermensh, he's depicted as quite clever, opportunistic, and competent. If he really is Zahard's heir, FUG may have wanted to keep him in reserve until now.

On the other hand, he's apparently a Fisherman [evidenced by his Reel inventory], but has displayed absolutely no competence at that role.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Hodgepodge posted:

Didn't he use his reel to grab the connecter from Love? Blindsiding a ranker and grabbing something they're protecting is rather impressive.

I guess, but I don't think Love even suspected he'd go for the controller, let alone barge in on them. It doesn't really say anything about his combat abilities though, and that's really what the Fisherman spot is about.

In other news, same day scanlation from a new, third group: http://onlinereader.mangapirate.net/Tower%20of%20God/104/2

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

TheDemon posted:

Those are by a guy called northerncolors on the mangafox forums, and he posts them on image shack; we rehost his stuff on imgur as the shack can't be linked on SA.

He's not very consistent with his schedule, I think if there's a speed scanlation out he might not post anything

I believe he's actually posted up his scan as well, I just didn't bother reuploading and linking it here since we had a scan out already. He posts them in the raw discussion thread on Mangafox for anyone wanting to look.

The only noteworthy difference is that "Byul" was translated to "Star". I guess she's referring to seeing 'the stars' as though it's an actual person. There may well be a later character that acts as an anti-Baam whose name will be Byul; it would be amusing anyway.

E: Spoilertags since it is still this week's chapter. Northerncolors link.

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 24, 2012

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
TOG is out, same day release.

From the new group with the lesser translations but also fewer creepnotes.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Hodgepodge posted:

^^^ Rachel isn't from inside the Tower any more than Baam is. She knew about the Tower as a fairy tale.

Thst dorsn't make a lot of sense. The door an irregular has to be strong enough to open is the one that lets you enter from outside the Tower.

Right, she knew about the Inner Tower, with the Guardians - it doesn't necessarily say anything about whether she was from the residential outer tower or from outside of the tower. Her goal suggests that she's from the residential tower; she wants to see the stars but could have easily done so if she'd lived outside of the tower. It's only because the stars she's seen all her life are fake that she desires to see the real ones. Which then also implies that Baam was imprisoned somewhere inside of the greater tower complex himself - probably directly underneath the inner tower. Rachel then discovered him while looking for a way into the inner tower.

Anyway, we don't know anything about having to be 'strong' to open the door to the inner tower. We only know once you're in the tower you can't get out. Why can they push it open before they've climbed and grown stronger, but not pull it open when they make it to the top? Besides which we've seen Baam open the door and there was no 'strength' involved. It's more likely that the Tower itself chooses who gets to come in.

We also don't know enough about the 'door' to know if it's accessible from only within the greater tower, from the outside, or even both. If I remember correctly, the 'door' appeared to be on the floor when Baam opened it.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Hodgepodge posted:

This kind of rests on the assumption that the stars are visible everywhere outside of the Tower, and therefore anywhere without stars must be the Tower. That is an unfounded assumption, and holding it means trying to redefine terms like "irregular" to fit the your preconception, rather than reading the story being presented.

Clearly the 'Star' [There's only one!] is visible from the outside or no one would have built a tower to try to reach it. Granted this is folklore and unverifiable. [That's neat though, I never realized there was only 1 star in the first place; now Rachel's "Star-nim" makes more sense.]

An "Irregular" is simply someone who wasn't chosen by Headon. That's it. It says nothing about where they came from, how strong they are, or who their mother was; it explicitly describes that they weren't chosen by Headon but are climbing the tower anyway.

Hodgepodge posted:

Rachel is show to have a very different view of the Tower than that demonstrated by its residents. She thinks that a guardian is a "fairy" who guides "children" as they climb the Tower. Actual residents are shown as being deeply familiar with guardians and the Ranker system because they form the government that rules their lives.

That's not a fair argument because literally no one else has talked about their 'view' of the tower in that way before. What's more telling, in my opinion, is that people outside of the tower have no possible way of coming up with accurate 'folklore' about it. They could not possibly know about the guardians or ranker because no one has ever left the tower to talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Hodgepodge posted:

Baam and Rachel's general ignorance about the rules of the Tower is contrasted with the general understanding shown by newly selected Regulars in the first few 2nd Floor tests.

(Another contrast between Regulars and Irregulars is that the former begin in the 2nd Floor, rather than the 1st).

Rachel seems to know as much as anyone else - that there are "guardians" and that people are "chosen" to climb. The thing is that being chosen in the first place is a symbol of incredible prestige. In this sense the "Great Families" have a certain eminence because being a part of them practically guarantees your being chosen while the rest of the chosen aren't too badly off themselves. Rachel, to account for her marginally different 'view' of the tower, might be the pauper that's been invited to the King's court, if you will. So it would make sense that her interpretation of the Tower is a lot more 'folky'.

For the latter, you could easily enough interpret "being chosen" by Headon as the first floor test. Not that you'd have to. I don't think anyone is saying that Rachel was chosen. The debate is whether she originated from the Tower or not.

Genocyber posted:

There's a lot we don't know. It might be that no one is supposed to be chosen, and that the whole Headon choosing regulars is something set up by the Zahard administration and not a natural tower thing. Baam (or someone, since it's not specifically said that Baam is the chosen; and since SIU likes twists, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the setup for one) is special by being a person chosen by the tower, rather than being chosen as a regular, or just being a normal irregular (that is, that Baam is an irregular whom the tower then chose, for some reason.

tl;dr talking too much about a comic

The bolded section is 100% correct. There was no such thing as Regular or Irregular before Zahard took over and made pacts with guardians. This has come up on blog posts and is on the wiki as well, I believe - where it should hopefully be cited to some blog translation on batoto or some other forum.

e: V No one knows where Baam came from. It's easier to figure out where Rachel came from and extend it to Baam than vice versa; hence these past posts.

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 2, 2012