Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Needless to say, you don't need to know Korean to get the math behind the latest raw. Summation:

He's more than 5 times higher than anyone else's score without trying. He literally touches it gently, and he blows it away. Just don't ever gently caress with Baam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Mazino is the Steve-o of the ToG universe.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah, it always does to remember that the Tower is loving massive, and all the people you have seen are functionally immortal. The 'average' person climbs the Tower in 500 years. Generally speaking there are a few centuries between the time each Princess is chosen, the ruling elite switch off power between themselves while Zahard is resting every thousand years, the residential district of each floor is about the size of the United States [And we know of 135 floors in the Zahard Empire]...the scale of everything is ridiculous. People aren't even breathing air in the Tower. Everything you see is, in some sense, occurring 'underwater'. Out of the Tower, sure, everything is like it is in our world [Well, *more* like our world at least]. Inside the Tower, screw rules.

All the highest Rankers have powers on par with gods. And then there are guys like Phantaminum running around, who are...living stories, and the authors of those stories. The only people that can counter one of them is another author. When you are faced with functional immortality in a world of gods and monsters, you learn to make your own fun.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Sarcophallus posted:

Being a horrible, villainous person doesn't strictly make her an antagonist.

If she's the cause of everything terrible that happens to the protagonist, she is an antagonist. She is literally the single greatest plot force that acts against Baam, the protagonist. She believes she kills him, which lands him in with FUG. If, as was suggested, SHE is the one that reached out to FUG here? Then just as Baam is getting over his time with FUG and making new friends, she takes acts that lead to more of his friends dying. She is only dropping a piano on Baam's new puppy away from being totally against every positive moment in his life. Even FUG has a clear, and understandable, justification. Baam is pretty much the only person they have that *can* take steps against the order of the Tower. Practically everyone else is bound to it's rules. If they want to overthrow the corrupt system, they have no choice but to make him into the perfect weapon. It doesn't make what they do any less evil, but nor do they pretend they aren't evil. Rachel on the other hand is an insane psychotic that lies and murders everyone that gets in her way, all to....what, see the stars? And she doesn't acknowledge for a second she did anything wrong. Which doesn't mean he *can't* humanize her motivation, I just can't imagine what positive end she could have to mitigate her cartoonish level of evil.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Decus posted:

What were the in-character justifications for that little conversation considering the most recent reveal?

Dude is called Mad Dog. Maybe he's not the most stable and rules following sort of guy, and no matter what would be the best and most logical thing for him to do he'd just flip out and attack the strongest guy around him just because.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's like the LotR. There is a metric rear end-ton of work the writer has done to help shape the narrative in his mind and make it all hang together, but there isn't necessarily an organic way to show it all in the actual story [Or even a need to]. It's just information that helps build the world, but none of it is strictly required reading. Do to the magic of 'internet', he can post that poo poo in little asides while doing the main work. Read it if it interests you or you have questions, but otherwise it is ignorable.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah, people seem to gloss over the "Grew up in a cave, alone in the darkness" part of his life. Rachel isn't a friend to him. She's not just some person he was close to. She is the first, last, and only interaction he has had with anything at all ever in his entire life. Not "human interaction", interaction with anything at all. She is quite literally everything to him, as she is the only thing he has to gauge himself against. He *is* like a toddler, and she is like his mother. The world he understands consists entirely of her. When he entered the Tower, he just wanted to find her. He does, she tries to kill him. Next he wants to find out why she did that and protect his friends. And now he finds her and the single defining feature of his entire life says "Eh, I don't really care about you".

It's like his mom telling him he was a mistake, not like some girl refusing to go to prom with him. It's understandable he would be....perturbed.

e: Which doesn't mean this isn't about to get weird, but at least it's weird in a different way!

Mulva fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 14, 2015

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
No, their power is literally narrative. There is absolutely nothing a non-Axis user can do against one. Only another stronger Axis user can impose a stronger narrative to overwrite them. It wouldn't matter if you were the strongest and smartest people on the planet fighting a moron that happened to be an Axis user, he wins because his overwrites your life. As the writer said, Phantaminum could totally derail the ToG plot if he wanted to.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's not a mystery, she's literally the only person he ever knew of before entering the Tower, and she found him in a loving cave sealed off in the darkness. She was his entire world before the Tower, and he can not understand why she'd betray him just to climb the tower.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Do we know yet why Rachel betrayed him?

Because she wants to be the hero of the story, and it's impossible for anyone to overshadow Baam. She'd always be a side-character with him around.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
To be fair they move floors by narrative. If there's nothing in important in like 50 of those floors, we'll just jump a thousand years in to the future and move past them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Bernardo Orel posted:

I wonder if we will like those answers.

He's the Second Coming, that's why he's called "25th Night". It is another Jesus metaphor.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Yesh posted:

I have a feeling that Rachel will have her soul implanted into the thorn that Baam uses. It would solve a couple things:

- Give Baam a superweapon to compete with the higher floors - An immortal-killing irregular (Baam) wielding a thorn created by a
monstrously powerful irregular (Enryu) infused with the soul of an irregular (Rachel).
- Be a powerup for Rachel that would put her in Baam's league

She'd also be an annoying sword ghost who'd work with basically nobody which sounds about right.

All in Tower magic is based on shinsu. Baam can destroy outright all shinsu. He can now threaten everything in the Tower. He really just needs to become fast enough and strong enough that nobody else can take him out before he hits him with his magic killing bomb. Give Rachel a million thorns, she still wouldn't be on his level. Christ her little soul eating god-monster is insanely hosed if they meet again.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Baam is orders of magnitude stronger than his peers, and it *absolutely* makes sense that a secret murder cult would give their chosen murder god all the power they could.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Sarcophallus posted:

Before the last rice pot thing, he was comparable to Androssi.

......are you mixing her up with someone else? She couldn't even slow him down when she thought he was Viole, and he wasn't even actively trying to fight her. He's been out of her league for a long time.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Sarcophallus posted:

I was comparing them during the Name Hunt station - given that Androssi was fairly confident

And that should have been your first clue she was phenomenally wrong.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Gologle posted:

That bit with Grand De Lee was a little sad. Hwaryun is a savage.

Do you mean De Sah? She was perfectly honest with him. The person that showed up isn't the sort that would just blindly forgive them of all their sins, so if that's what he thinks his Savior was? He didn't show up.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

But Baam is way more of a "rich kid" in this scenario than Rachel.

Nobody in the entire loving Tower not a family head is as blessed as Rachel. Emily alone is more control than any single group in the entire thing wields, and it fell straight into her lap with zero effort. That's the most bullshit part of her claims, she's not an average person. An average person is one of the nameless and faceless horde that, say, get in debt and die trying to climb the Tower because they just can't hack it. That's not her. She isn't normal, she isn't average, and her only loving complaint is she isn't the most important person in all reality.

Boo hoo hoo.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

So what about her is above average, exactly?

Her narcissism and luck, obviously.

quote:

Baam.

Again, literally the most important person in the Tower at this point. That's her complaint: She isn't literally the most important person that there ever was.

What the gently caress does that have to do with the other 99.99999999% of the Tower? How exactly is she just a normal ol powerless girl when the only real thing in her way is the greatest monster the Tower has seen and her own innate stupidity? Any other person in the Tower, including basically every single one of the protagonists, would die in her situation. Some of them did, all of Baam's chosen one bullshit hasn't kept Rachel from killing a bunch of his friends. Brutally at that. Rachel though? Always gets a way to keep on trucking. Not even finds, because often she's just handed some brutally useful thing to keep going. If at any point after reading that you thought "well so has Baam" you should be reminded, again, that Baam is the most special person in the Tower. At the point you are being compared to the most special person in the Tower, you should probably cut the poo poo and stop pretending you are average.

Ytlaya posted:

so even if she's doing these evil things she's not a total sociopath

He said, of a girl that viciously tortured someone into a cripple for the crime of not bowing to her whim. BUT REALLY SHE HAS A GOOD HEART!

Nah, she's just a petty loser that is going to kill herself because she can't live in a world where she isn't special.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

khy posted:

Everyone agrees Rachel's a great villain

I don't, I think she peaked with her conflict with Koon in the Dallar Show. Right at the end when he talks about Dan, and how God is fair and someone with a rotten soul will never be able to run. That's it, there's nothing more for her to do. And even then it was just the definitive way to dunk on her, she hasn't done anything particularly interesting in the plot for a very, very long time. Like the soul eating douchebag, they blew their evil load and are narrative dead ends. They can go away now.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
And once again Rachel lives because someone refuses to kill her. That poo poo is getting real old now.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if his "monstrous" nature isn't connected to his bizarre charisma. Maybe he was in the cave because if he weren't, it would be impossible to convince people to let him leave for the Tower.

Also, in line with the "25th Night" thing, one of the most important books about Christ written in the last century or so is Zizek and Milbank's "The Monstrosity of Christ: Paradox or Dialectic?"

Literally nothing Zizek has ever written is important.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
What's interesting about that?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Well he does change sizes now, and also you can't upgrade perfection.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

Your making this about quality but I think power ups over the story are pretty ham fisted and badly implemented.

He's a loving walking death curse. That's his existence, that's the entire story. Zahard is a cruel, vindictive monster who murdered Baam as a baby. His mother petitioned the God outside the Tower to bring Baam back and fashioned him as a judgement on the Tower and everyone that wronged her. Of course he just gets stronger and stronger as time goes on, you don't get to resist judgement. And for all his power he's still nothing to Zahard, and he's actively being targeted right now. He needs functionally infinite power ups to hold even.

The single meaningful point that Rachel has is that her entire existence is irrelevant, as is everyone else's, due to the fact they are quite literally caught in Baam's story. The thing is she's ultimately just a narcissist, so her main complaint is that she isn't the main character.

It's like claiming the main character in any other ghost revenge movie is an unstoppable badass.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Season 1, Episode 2, Baam is given the greatest Needle in the entire Tower. If you didn't know where this story was going then, you are bad at stories.

e: By a princess that falls from the sky and tells him he'll grow up to be handsome.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 3, 2019

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
If you mean the Fake Thorn, that was given to him to help prepare him to be melted down into a sword. If you mean the Red Thryssa, it's a fragment of the old Guardian of the Floor of Death.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
V was never immortal, and killed himself.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Two Tone Shoes posted:

but we haven't been told that.

I mean I know it's been a few years but

https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-240/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=321

V was never immortal. Everyone else, including Arlene, was. Why wasn't he immortal? We don't know. We just know he wasn't, and that he killed himself.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
He's a death curse, he *will* face Jahard. Anyone that gets in his way will be converted or die. If you find that boring, remember the field of dead stretching behind him from people that aren't children of prophecy. Remember Prince and Akraptor? They were cool. They died brutal deaths, because they aren't the children of prophecy and there is nothing protecting them from the consequences of their actions. The drama is what it's going to cost to move him where he's going to go.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It actually got me to read ahead a chapter because I was getting sick and tired of this psycopathic fuckwit waiting around to get owned, and boy howdy does the next chapter do so in the most perfect way possible.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
As for the most current chapters raw, I think she'd rather kill herself than admit that Baam is, and always has been, the protagonist. Also she's not even remotely on the level of the hitters that will be showing up for this one. Hell Baam probably isn't on the level of some of the hitters that will be showing up for this one.

I wish all the warriors the greatest honor in their quest for the ultimate waifu.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

The main reason I have sympathy for Rachel's perspective is that she lives in a setting where "fate" actually does seem to exist. So instead of viewing it like "why is she hostile towards Baam, who is just A Guy Who is Good and Kind," it's more that she's hostile to what Baam represents - a fate where none of her actions really matter. And because she didn't have the benefit of being a pre-ordained protagonist with immense talent and power, she has no reliable way to achieve anything other than the various dubious methods she employs (or just riding on Baam's coat-tails). People say things like "Rachel is a coward because of things like her reaction to the floor 1 test," but her actions are entirely reasonable - Baam is the one who behaves in ways that are insane (and only work out because he is effectively protected by his fate and has exceptional talent). A story where Rachel is a brave risk-taking character is a story where she just dies really early, like most other people who try climbing the Tower.

There are a number of reasons why someone might have the perspective she does (being reflexively opposed to fate and those favored by it), and we don't know enough about her to know how justified/reasonable her perspective might be. We do know that the author of the story likes her character, which makes me inclined to think that there's something interesting going on there beyond "Rachel is just a bad person who is envious of Baam."

She's a great character, but it's not because there is any depth to her. She's a great character because there isn't. She's exactly what she appears to be every single loving time you see her. She's a narcissist, and an incompetent one at that. She latches on to people stronger than her and manipulates them to do things for her, and when she finds someone weaker than she is she brutalizes them. And whenever she gets called out she bitches about how unfair everything is. This isn't something that has just happened once, it keeps happening. She's scum. She has no redeeming values. She isn't exceptional in any manner. And she will spite gently caress the entire universe to death for the sin of making her irrelevant.

She is the anti-Baam, with no concern for anything but herself, willing to risk nothing and believing in nothing, who only climbs the Tower because she feels she is owed. And in the twelve years this story has been running that hasn't changed once. There is not even the slightest hint there is more to her than exactly what she presents as. A monster. When Khun said he truly believes that God is fair, and that even with two healthy legs he'd never let someone with a rotten soul run? That was basically her entire arc forever. She crippled someone out of pure spite, but in the decades since that guy tried as hard as he could and regained some degree of his speed. And she? Did nothing, risked nothing, tried nothing. And that's a cool antagonist to have running around for a writer, because she can conceivably blow up any situation because she's too stupid and self-involved not to.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

HenryEx posted:

That sounds pretty competent tbh

She's not actually good at it though, is the thing. The vast majority have been using her, or planning to betray her, or only following her because someone else told them to. It's mirror Baam again, just in and out of universe. Baam gets his infinite power ups because he's a child of destiny, Rachel gets hers because they are the only way she gets to stay in the plot. Baam can stand in front of the aura of a family head and be unbowed when every single other person in both armies is effected, Rachel would die in a straight up fight to like.....any other named character?

She's an interesting character, but again....it's not because there's anything even slightly exceptional or even borderline competent about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

HenryEx posted:

So she's doing something right

No, she's not. At all. She has convinced no-one to be on her side. She inspires nothing. Outside powers arbitrarily decide to give her things for the luls. If she died right this second nobody on her 'team' would care.

Like here, I'll make it really simple: You name one thing she did to be in her position. Just one.

e: The answer is torment people in positions of weakness. Be it trying to kill Baam when his guard is down or torturing or killing people she has hostage, that is the only thing she's ever actively put herself out there to do. Everything else is going with someone else's flow.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 16, 2022