Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

me your dad posted:

P.S. The Argus is the best Ween song.
Thank you.

If "The Argus" ever shows up on a playlist shuffle at work, it's guaranteed a customer turns and goes "What is THIS?" in utter delight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Harminoff posted:

Does anyone know what album he is talking about? I've been trying to figure it out but can't seem to find it.
Going through Eye's discography, the only releases that I haven't heard personally that line up in the 91 to around 92 Pod era are three Audio Sports albums: 3-6-9, Eat+Buy+Eat and Era of Glittering Glass.

Edit: not it.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 19, 2013

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I can only hope it's as good, if not better than Fishing with John.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

quote:

to obscurities like “I Get A Little Taste Of You”
Oh man, the Z-Rock Hawaii album is just too delightful beyond words.

Tuchus. :allears:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

zh1 posted:

I've never done anything like that, I just like the songs. I guess I avoided it because people called it difficult and it sounded jokey to me. Should have had more faith in Ween
It took me a couple of live recordings to "get" The Pod, which is kind of what happened with Pure Guava, too.

"Captain Fantasy" just kills everything in its goddamn path when played live.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I haven't been able to post this because I left it at a friend's house, but here's a picture of the Dean Ween poster they were selling at the Portland show (EDIT: there was also a red/white peppermint themed one, but I had to go with purple.):

Detail shot:

And a copy of the set list for the Seattle show (I've got a copy for the Portland show somewhere in this room and I have no idea where):

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I never got to see Ween proper and just saw Deaner for the first time last month.

I'm dragging myself out to this. It's gonna happen. It must happen.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The facebook news thingamajig trending whatever states that they're gonna be playing new stuff, soooooooooooooo.

EDIT: Misleading headlines? Full quote being "new stuff that nobody has ever heard live before."

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 17, 2015

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Three hour performance of just "Molly."

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

me your dad posted:

That's just night one. Night two will be Mourning Glory for three hours.
I want this to be real so bad.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

They were out of the three day passes four minutes in.

I'm still hitting the refresh button, trying to force tickets into existence, but I'm sure it's all over.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

me your dad posted:

Since the rumors of a reunion turned out true, I'll spread more here - word is they'll be kicking off a small tour (I heard 16 cities) with a few festival appearances (Bonnaroo for example).
They just announced they're playing at Okeechobee Music & Arts Festival in Florida in March.

It'sreallyhappening!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

me your dad posted:

That would be more GWAR (RIP Dave Brockie) than Ween.
Have a weird Gwar cover of Birthday Boy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mA4220YqaM

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Sunday August 28th at the Pabst Festival in Portland, Oregon.

They haven't posted what shows are outdoors/in venues yet, so fingers crossed its under an air-conditioned roof.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

BigFactory posted:

Yeah, nothing says sweltering heat like Oregon at the rear end-end of August?
Dude, it was 90-degree with humidity every day in Portland from May to October last year. People were passing out like flies at the last Pabst festival while Debbie Harry screamed 4:20 at the audience.

Pretty good show.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Saturday my friends and I celebrate Weensday, where we eat an unfortunate amount of :catdrugs: and listen to Ween for 24 hours straight. It's a beautiful, earth-shattering, sludgy disgusting brown gauntlet of madness. Today coming home from work I passed a garage sale and sitting there on the lawn propped up against a table was an oil painting of Dean Ween doing one hell of a gnarly Deaner face. I ran up to the dude running it and pleaded with him please, I don't have any cash on me, could he please set that painting to the side so I could run off to hit an ATM and be back within the hour. Dude took one look at me, turned around and kicked the painting, bursting Dean's face open and stomped off. All I could do was burst out laughing.

If you can make the effort I highly suggest trying Weensday out for yourself, but you're going to get into some truly upsetting territory once you wander into The Pod-era stuff.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I made a top 5 list of the songs I wanna hear Ween play most at Project Pabst this weekend, and it was just Springtheme over and over again.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

snorch posted:

Who's in for Pabst tomorrow?

Front-rowed that poo poo. Stumbled out of the venue not knowing what to do with myself after that Fluffy.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Discombobulator posted:

Oh man they closed with Fluffy? Was it ten minutes long like the poo poo Creek version?
Yep. Spent the entire time with my mouth just dropped to the floor.

Here's a decent sounding 42-second clip of that end solo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o8v6blUmjg

The setlist was:

Strap On That Jammy Pac
She Wanted to Leave
Buckingham Green
Don't Sweat It
Spinal Meningitis (Got Me Down)
Transdermal Celebration
Touch My Tooter
The Stallion, Part 1
Object
Roses Are Free
Demon Sweat
Don't Get 2 Close (2 My Fantasy)
Mister Richard Smoker
You hosed Up
I Can't Put My Finger on It
Never Squeal
Fluffy

Jammy Pac was a late addition scribbled at the top of the setlist. Squeal got a full Claude solo and he bongoed the poo poo out of those drums.

That was my first Ween show after listening to them for a decade. I was initially worried that I was in for a predictable truncated set, but daaaang, they were gunning for Portland hard.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGAkTrLJyvM

Solid recording of the Portland show, though It's missing Jammy Pac.

EDIT: You're gonna need some Fluffy and that starts at 1:06:15.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 10, 2016

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

What I love about The Pod is that it has just as much genre fuckery as any later-period Ween album, it just happens to be buried under that gross layer or murk. It was a bit tough to get through when I first started listening to it, but hearing live cuts from the album really show off just how great those songs are. I'd currently lock it in as tied for my #1 spot with The Mollusk as my favorite Ween album.

sout posted:

Ween are clever for getting fans to adopt the phrase "brown" because it means they can make total trash and fans will be like "hell yeah."
Do you consider anything they've done as "total trash," because I'm scratching my head and can't think of anything that would fit into that category? I'm really curious now.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 21, 2016

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hahah, I was worried the consensus would be La Cucaracha. That album grew on me, but goddamn it took even longer than The Pod did.

Beastie posted:

There is a time and a place for the brown sound.
I'm about to start blasting The Pod at work. The time and place is right now. :getin:

Admittedly, I'm probably the kind of guy sout's talking about initially: I'm always up for it getting too brown.

sout posted:

e: I have had surprising amounts of success getting people to appreciate Ween.
I tend to describe Ween to people as "they've already written your favorite song, you just haven't heard it yet. They've also written a dozen songs that you're going to loving hate, but you'll come around to those, too."

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I love, Prince, Ween and straight-up juvenilia and think LMLYP is fantastic.

I think the only Ween song I can straight up leave is "Learnin' to Love," though I do love 12 Golden Country Greats.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Boy's Club might be the dumbest song I've ever heard and I love it very much.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

poo poo is goin' down this weekend. :unsmigghh:

Got my fingers crossed for "The Rift."

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

:rock:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I just noticed looking at it after last night - those are some big, veiny, ejaculating penises framing those Residents portraits.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Guys guys guys.

Night loving two.

Is where it's loving at.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hell yeah.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

WOMAN AND MAN INTO SPRINGTHEME'?!?!??!?

DAAAAAAAAAAANG.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

July 12th. Pre-sale starts tomorrow 10 AM mountain time (password: green)

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Zoltron's doing a tryptic for the Vegas posters. Here's a sampling of his work:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Previews are getting posted.

eeeeeeeeee!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Harminoff posted:

Yeah how does that work? Am I suppose to buy it pre show and hold onto it all night, because that kind of sucks.
Solid 50/50 chance you might end up holding onto a poster throughout the show, but at least Ween usually have free tubes on hand so they won't get crushed. Nice security dudes will place it on a speaker if you're hanging off the barricade. It's usually a run-to-the-car/hotel-and-run-back situation. I'm the dude who always bought merch before the concert just to avoid the long lines post-show, though.

True story: we're a week out from Vegas and I am in full-on freak out mode.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Stallion.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Don't poo poo Where You Eat
I Can't Put My Finger on It
The Golden Eel
The Stallion pt 3
Gabrielle
I Gots a Weasel
You hosed Up
Tick
The Stallion pt 1
Woman and Man
Your Party (live sax provided by Angelo Moore of Fishbone)
Pork Roll Egg and Cheese
Japanese Cowboy
Transdermal Celebration
Mister Would You Please Help My Pony?
Object
Back to Basom
Tender Situation
Powder Blue
You Were the Fool
I'll Be Your Jonny on the Spot
Mister Richard Smoker
Nan
Zoloft
Ocean Man
Demon Sweat (Gene on keys, Glenn kicked back and had a smoke)

Encore:
Fiesta
Pollo Asado (Deaner smashed the podium to bits)

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Night 2. Despite having excellent sound, Brooklyn Bowl is a loving garbage venue with no water fountains, and the bathroom faucets are hot water only.

None of the staff knew anything in regards to when doors were going to be opened or when the show was scheduled to go on. Doors open at 5 which leads to another line inside the venue until 6 when you're lead to the stage and then the show is at 8:30-ish, in case you were in town and still were unsure.

Set list:

Did You See Me?
Exactly Where I'm At
Mutilated Lips
Take Me Away
Up on the Hill
The Stallion pt 5
Happy Colored Marbles
The HIV Song
Boy's Club
Doctor Rock
Frank
She's Your Baby
The Mollusk
Bananas and Blow
Even If You Don't
Pandy Fackler
Fat Lenny
Puerto Rican Power
Sorry Charlie
How High Can You Fly?
Roses Are Free
Baby Bitch
Waving My Dick in the Wind
Don't Get 2 Close (2 My Fantasy)
Captain Fantasy
Encore: She Fucks Me

Dean had food poisoning last night and had to run off to use the bathroom, She's Your Baby was an in-the-spot decision by Gene played solo.
Deaner also used a talk box for a truly ridiculous the She Fucks Me (LMLYP's been cut two nights in a row, gotta use the talk box for something).

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 20, 2017

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Night 3 devolved into Dean Ween literally dancing for money while the audience chucked chips at him. Hands down my favorite show of all time in terms of outright lunacy. The Linq is a Patrick Bateman fever dream and the only good thing I saw in the entire city was a life-sized plastic saxophone that holds 100 ounces of daiquiri that you sipped out of the mouthpiece and you had to tilt it up when it got below the halfway point.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Bold Robot posted:

Night 3 was close to my ideal setlist. I can't believe they played Albino Sunburned Girl, and it may have been from an audience request based off what Deaner said afterwards?
100% An honest request that caught them so off-guard, they had to do it. Put the Coke on my Dick was also a request, too.

REAL TALK NOW THAT I'M AT A REAL KEYBOARD (not going to lie, it's gonna be word-vomit from hereon out, I'm still coming down): What spawned the chips incident was that someone had made fake Ween poker chips. Someone threw one on the stage, Deaner picked it up, made a comment and then was immediately inundated with a million fake poker chips and one real one for $100 (I myself folded my last $5 into a paper airplane and hurled it as hard as I could which hit the ground and was immediately given back to me by security). They asked him for his request which was Ambrosia Parsley, a detail I know because he had been shouting for it all loving night after every goddamn song which was immediately ignored.

And, to be fair, that's most definitely bottom-tier in the Prince homages. It's the Stallion Part 5 of Prince worship songs, though Stallion 5 loving killed live.

From there the show became fully off the rails as a wedding proposal went horribly wrong when the groom dropped the wedding ring in-between the stage and a wall with about an inch worth of space. It got so bad a random person from the crowd threw their own ring at them to use as a replacement which, when they did fish the ring out of the space, the groom was left holding up some random dude's wedding ring, who's is it? Who loving knows. The band congratulated them on their engagement by playing Iron Man.

At the end of the night? loving Ambrosia Parsley motherfucker rolls up to the stage and demands his $400 back because they didn't play his request, genuinely angry about it. Ya got fleeced, son. You can't shampoo a shampooer.

EDIT: Night 3's setlist has finally been posted:

She Wanted to Leave
Buckingham Green
Spinal Meningitis (Got Me Down)
Beacon Light
Learnin' to Love
Albino Sunburned Girl
Voodoo Lady
Big Jilm
Ooh Va La
Stroker Ace
Put the Coke on My Dick