Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

It would be cool if these guys sat down and wrote some new music.

I love Ween but I saw the reunion shows and a couple others, and it's kinda the same show every time. A nostalgia act.

Mickey is the only good thing left about Facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

And yet, no new Ween songs, let alone a record. Aaron is the worst...

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Still hoping for a new album, or just a new song...

I love these guys but this is starting to feel like Guns N Roses tour.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

How much longer will they be able to keep this up without releasing new material? I've seen them several times post-breakup, and while the shows were ok it just doesn't feel the same. I just can't see them continuing on as a nostalgia act for another year.

I completely agree. I was super excited in 2016 for new material, that's clearly never going to happen.

It's also pretty obvious that Aaron is the reason for the state of the band. Really over him as a person the more I hear and read.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Beastie posted:

Woman and Man is awesome.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Yeah maybe they'll write a new song one day (they won't)

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

me your dad posted:

What did this end up being about?

albino sunburned girl got played maybe

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

me your dad posted:

Additional shows in Boston and Philly announced. Sadly the Philly show falls on the Saturday immediately after my daughter's birthday so I can't make it.

I haven't seen them since the last time they played at the outdoor venue in Charlottesville so I was super stoked for about two seconds before realizing the timing.

I wonder if they'll ever come to DC again.

I wonder if they'll ever play more than a two-night weekend run with one night in Philly again.

I love the music and the band but this current situation is kinda pathetic. Mickey and Aaron obviously hate each other and both are struggling with substance abuse. Onstage energy is weird, they "can't handle" being Ween for more than five nights out of the year...

It just seems like a cash grab these days. Headline a festival and 'play-through' Chocolate and Cheese, collect check, go back to a crumbling personal and home life, rinse, repeat. The other members (Claude, Glenn, Dave) look like they're doing much better and wish so much more for the band. I feel really bad for Dave who is just trying to be a successful musician outside of Ween and seems to get jerked around by the frontmen's inability to book a show and stick to the date without loving it up.

And they're just never going to play a new song? They can't even play the stuff from the Freeman album once or twice? Nature Man, Black Bush, would all be great with the full band. It would be poignant to see them play Covert Discretion together.

It's like the Rolling Stones 2020 tour but a lot more pathetic because they aren't old enough to be a nostalgia act yet. They're just gently caress-ups.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

This was a great show, post-recovery and pre-reunion:

https://archive.org/details/freeman2015-01-16.mk41.nbox-platinum.flac16

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

me your dad posted:

On the other hand, Gene's solo album FREEMAN was amazing. It was like White Pepper 1.5 and has some really great songs on it.

Yeah but don't ask anyone else in the band to ever play or learn those songs because GOD FORBID.

Seriously, if you love Ween but haven't heard this album then you're missing out. If you love this album and haven't heard any of the live shows on archive.org from the acoustic tour, you're extra missing out.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

hexwren posted:

I am an old who understands nothing now
what the gently caress is any of this

this guy pretends to hear songs for the first time and then pretends he's figuring them out by ear

this somehow generates 1,000,000 clicks

also the aforementioned Phish incident was pretty sad

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

also this lol, someone explain the appeal to me of watching a guy try to replicate a soundclip

i think it fosters a sense of :smuggo: i always knew <my favorite band> was very sophisticated music a skilled guitar player would appreciate :smuggo:

also agree that "_______ reacts!!!" are the kind of YouTube choices i associate with my 14-year-old nephew's viewing habits

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

let's all endlessly fight about these albums because they sure as hell aren't ever going to write another song or put any effort into this band ever again

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

polyester concept posted:

as much as deaner loves the brown stuff, i think he is secretly a perfectionist and studies the recordings and videos to improve his game

meanwhile, gener is trying to make it through lunchtime without three vodkas

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

polyester concept posted:

i am assuming you've heard all of the official live albums?

at the cat's cradle
live at stubb's
live in toronto
live in chicago
all request live (technically live in studio)
painting the town brown
god ween satan live

all good in their own ways

deaner's lead guitar on the Stay Forever from all request live is awesome. That's the definitive version of that song for me

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Aaron is 100% not sober. I know the family

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Ween
10-1-21
Webcast

https://mega.nz/folder/OWwVBKpC#0eWziAqL57hocxb8AVgMKQ

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

https://mega.nz/folder/qSo1BSjJ#UgQk0F82Lr7UR9QPe6XDdw 10-02-21

https://mega.nz/folder/nTZwjZqZ#SoUDqmQY0QIv1ryFe5ujZg10-03-21

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

thepokey posted:

Hoping that some audio/mp3 rips of this turn up on archive or wherever ... think this is the best sounding shows we've had since the reunion?

it's been a five year reunion tour, that's a bold claim

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Harminoff posted:

Lockn is good, but they are both ran by the same guy so makes sense. I'm just hoping there was a lot of orders so we see more of this. Hell, I'd take soundboard audio only for 5-10 a show.

I think the band hates that hippies like them and tape the shows because it's not cool to be a hippy or something

I find this especially funny 5 years into touring with no new music

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

Ween’s always been and continues to be cool with boots and streaming. Check out the bounty over on archive.org or browntracker for drat near every performance since the ‘90s.

Oh I know but they still like to act that the hippy scene isn't "real" Ween fandom. They don't like what Phish did for them covering Roses 30 years ago.

Then you go to a show in 2021 and are surrounded by 3.0 Phish Tour shirts

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

...and Cameo appearances

(The Deaner ones in Ghaddafi outfit are so good)

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Happy Hippo posted:

They're not hippies. They've never been hippies. They've never purposefully catered to hippies. It's weird that hippies think they have ownership of Ween fandom.

Ween have never been all sentimental about their audience anyway. I mean, Dean wrote a song telling his fans to leave him the gently caress alone when they see him in public.

this hippy made a good tape
https://archive.org/details/ween2021-10-01
https://archive.org/details/ween2021-10-02
https://archive.org/details/ween2021-10-03

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

thepokey posted:

I couldn't seen from skimming the website, but are the streams available for a time after the show?

No but places like browntracker and the facebook groups / forums all have people who rip the webcast and upload them to Megadownload or wherever

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Nice share I love someday so much..

Here's a cool old brown tracker download, it's a bunch of radio interviews and performances from the OG years

https://mega.nz/file/juAWgTBa#UQ6iZFYC4cBI1Zqhw0h_J4Mx58oHC4wMIUxdDw-4X9E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

With how hippy-adjacent they are it's surprising they're not on Nugs.net like every other band at Bonnaroo