Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What's Cat Stevens doing? He could fill in for Gener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ethan posted:

La Cucaracha really isn't that bad, it just has a messed up flow because of poo poo like Shamemaker. I have seen Ween twice and both times they did an extended jam version of "Woman and Man" that was just killer.

I think Shamemaker's a pretty good Smash Mouth parody. Don't know that makes it a good song, but they nail it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Harminoff posted:

drat Aaron is sounding pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rLVHd5Sfk0

Will be interesting to see what new material he has for his tour.

He played Genene Friday night (i think he said for the first time) otherwise it was the same set he was playing last year basically. 90% ween material. He dropped Tried and True for Stallion pt 3, can't really be disappointed by that. Awesome show all in all. There was a radio simulcast so I'm sure it will show up somewhere at some point.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

weirdojace posted:

Man, a new Shinola would be perfect. I don't care if I've heard all the songs before, I just wish a new addition to the Ween catalog would come out. But even Deaner said to not hold our breath on that...

I'm still not completely convinced that at some point these guys won't get back together and do some reunion shows or something. But maybe I'm just in denial.

I can't think of too many rock bands that have stayed broken up forever, but this one feels like it might be for a while, and who knows if the money's going to be there as an incentive when they get their issues resolved. It kinda feels like the peak of their popularity has come and gone.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Nice to have a studio nature man. Worth 10 bucks.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

BANME.sh posted:

I split the file using mp3split without re-encoding and tagged everything. You can download it from my dropbox

edit: Just realized I spelled Dean as "Deen". You can go ahead and fix that yourself. Fixed

That's awesome, thank you!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
If I was president I'd make a law where every band was required to put She Fucks Me>Fire on the Mountain in the setlist for every concert.

Why isn't Deaner doing more of these? I'd go to like 10.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

me your dad posted:

Dean Ween Group website, complete with sweet logo that will look killer on a shirt.

3 more isn't enough!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

weirdojace posted:

"You mind if we listen to Marvelous Clouds?"

That's torture for anyone riding shotgun.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Happy Hippo posted:

I'm glad he's sober and making music and alive and all that but God drat it I miss Ween.

That being said, seeing Gener play to like 15 people in a bar last year was pretty cool. I wouldn't mind seeing one more of those before Ween gets back together.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

me your dad posted:

I dig your optimism but I don't think Ween is getting back together :(

My friend and I saw a solo show of his some time prior to the official breakup. It must have been 'The Gene Ween Band' or something. We were both expecting a rowdy night but it was really subdued and a bit disappointing. I much prefer the atmosphere of what Deaner's doing now.

Oh, I don't think they're getting back together, either, just that we should appreciate what we get sometimes. The show I saw was billed as Aaron Freeman and it was him and his like 16 year old guitar player, playing poo poo like The Argus acoustic with everyone in the crowd singing along. It ruled.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Weird. Billy Joel blows though. Too bad. I'd still see one of those if I was closer.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like when they rock.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Balm posted:

That 4-disc comp is amazing, too. Tons of great songs I'd never heard before. Cornbread Red stands out to me as a stone cold classic and it's a shame that it's not on a more widespread release--the end of that song is incredible.

What, you didn't rush out to buy the Even If You Don't single in 2000?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Allen Wren posted:

Well, for me, I didn't even hear a song by Ween, let alone a b-side from them, until like sometime after Quebec was already out.

I heard them the first time on beavis and butthead.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Gener does a sweet Right to the ways and rules of the world these days.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Allen Wren posted:

So this is probably the sort of thing that could get me strung up, but while I definitely dig the more psychotic moments in the guys' back catalog, I think the first sound of theirs that really made me sit up and take notice back in the day was the back-to-back soft-psych-rock pairing of Ice Castles and Back to Basom on White Pepper. Is there any other material, maybe lurking in stuff I might not have heard, that's got them looking at a mellower mood?

What haven't you heard? You said you got into them with Quebec, so you probably have that covered. I have to assume you've heard Mollusk, so suggesting It's Gonna Be Alright or Buckingham Green isn't what you're looking for. A Tear For Eddie on Chocolate and Cheese hits what you're looking for, but again, you've probably heard that.

But when you get into earlier stuff than that, it's just not as slick as White Pepper. Listen to Right to the Ways, though. You'll like that one.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Allen Wren posted:

Yeah, obviously some of that is stuff I've heard (oh my goooood tear for eddie), but there's definitely a lot more in places I hadn't considered (I haven't gotten around to most of the early stuff 'cos I'm a bad)

I will begin digging in at the soonest, thanks

I love all 3 of GWS, Pod, and Guava, and they're all kinda different but all lo-fi. The Pod is the most psych-rock of the 3 I guess, but it definitely sounds like it was recorded on a 4 track in a bedroom. It's not going to have the polish that later stuff has. Happy hunting.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hollis Brownsound posted:

I was actually thinking the epic suite on the end:

"Captain"
"Chocolate Town" .
"I Don't Want It"
"The hosed Jam"
"Alcan Road"
"The Argus" 4:51
"If You Could Save Yourself (You'd Save Us All)"

Argus rules.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like those guys making money. Hell, I give them my money when I can.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caligulamprey posted:

The facebook news thingamajig trending whatever states that they're gonna be playing new stuff, soooooooooooooo.

EDIT: Misleading headlines? Full quote being "new stuff that nobody has ever heard live before."

Full band Nature Man.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
La cucaracha isn't bad.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
They'll obviously be tapes. I'd be surprised if it didn't get an official release. They're doing this cause they need money, right?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Gener's fat again. Is that good or bad?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Good setlist.

So that was a good show. The Gabrielle smoked and the Ooh Va La > Awesome Sound was rad.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 14, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That's a sick show

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah, I'm pretty jealous now. First night was a good show, but nothing crazy. 2nd night looks super good.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Live stream is fake.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That was quite the romantic set they played last night.

Edit: I haven't listened to V-day yet, but Saturday night was a beast. I was pretty cynical about the reunion, but they seem to actually be having fun. Hope they plow through and keep going.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 15, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
And they're not bad.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

me your dad posted:

Ween: Everything is turning brown

Ween: La Cucaracha comes out on October 22nd

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caligulamprey posted:

Sunday August 28th at the Pabst Festival in Portland, Oregon.

They haven't posted what shows are outdoors/in venues yet, so fingers crossed its under an air-conditioned roof.

Yeah, nothing says sweltering heat like Oregon at the rear end-end of August?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caligulamprey posted:

Dude, it was 90-degree with humidity every day in Portland from May to October last year. People were passing out like flies at the last Pabst festival while Debbie Harry screamed 4:20 at the audience.

Pretty good show.

Sounds nice.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ween is a pretty good rock n roll band.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What band?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Happy Hippo posted:

Which band?

He disappeared so we get to speculate.

Guessing Weird Al Yankovic

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caligulamprey posted:

Do you consider anything they've done as "total trash," because I'm scratching my head and can't think of anything that would fit into that category? I'm really curious now.

I could probably get by without hearing mr richard smoker ever again.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Beastie posted:

There is a time and a place for the brown sound.

That time is not when I'm cooking dinner with my girlfriend. That is White Pepper or Quebec time.

Me finishing off the last of the :420: and going in for a hit of resin is most definitely 100% certifiably brown.

Way to brag about cooking dinner.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I love tender situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Both nights looked good but yeah.