Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Methodis posted:

My favorite Ween unreleased songs:
Now I'm Freaking Out - Lyrics are really, really outdated but still love it's sound.
Puerto Rican Power - pretty uch the same thing

So I wouldn't be opposed to a Shinola Vol. 2. They need to do something though, it's been so long.

Whoever that "destr100" fellow is on YouTube has a remarkable number of b-sides and unreleased stuff. A related video to Puerto Rican Power lead me to "Who Dat?" which rocks in a sweet polka way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhsfBn3uTWE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

egon_beeblebrox posted:

"Buckingham Green" and "The Golden Eel," which are pretty similar to me, are the songs that sold me on Ween. The Mollusk in general is what got me into them. Especially the jump in genres nearly every song has on that album.

Their oddball stuff is why I've heard of them, but the jumps in genre on almost every album are what keep me sold on their skills and songwriting. I probably got on board during their ubiquitous Chocolate & Cheese era with vague memories of seeing the "Push Th' Little Daisies" video too often in my mind. If we're doing a PYF I have the most fondness for "Birthday Boy", "Gabrielle", and "If You Could Save Yourself (You'd Save Us All)", but there's just so much I like in their whole collection I can't say for sure. And The Mollusk and White Pepper are truly remarkable albums when taken in completely.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Harminoff posted:

Gener just put Marvelous Clouds (his solo project) on soundcloud. It's very... different. Not really any ween style put on it at all. http://soundcloud.com/shore-fire-media-1/sets/aaron-freeman-marvelous-clouds

Unsurprisingly given the source material it reminds me a lot of the singer/songwriter stuff from the 60's. Like Simon & Garfunkel without the vocal harmony (or John Denver/James Taylor/whoever) and with some synths. A non-Brown folk 12 Golden Country Greats perhaps.

The album's title track would fit just fine on a latter-day Ween album, but the rest is pretty much just uplifting pop-folk or whatever we're calling that genre now. One By One could be on the Friends EP I suppose. Fortunately, Aaron's voice works pretty well with that style.

I think I'll end up buying a copy to support the great cause of Gener sobriety, but I don't think it'll see as much play as a non-Cucaracha Ween album for me. It's still quite pleasant in any case.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Abu Dave posted:

Did anyone buy the album and know if Mickey played on anything? Spotify doesn't have album linear notes.

Aside from Aaron, the other listed musicians are Carl Byron, Ryan Shmedly Maynes, Paul Masvidal, Lucas Cheadle, Robert Peterson, Kevin Jarvis, and Gwendolyn and Brandon Jay. And while I'm at it: Produced by Ben Vaughn, Engineered by Alfonso Rodenas and Kevin Jarvis, Mixed by Rich Mouser.

I had to transcribe that from the CD case since the pdf booklet that came with the mp3 download version doesn't have a credit page for some reason. It does have handwritten lyrics and many bonus doodles though. So that's nice.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
That's pretty neat. I was just talking about Quebec yesterday when I was reminded how good it was. Synchronicity! Or something.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

shmee posted:

In looking up that (I never knew but yeah, can see it's a blue version of their 'All The Great Hits') I found this article about the making of the country album. A great read.

http://tasteofcountry.com/ween-12-golden-country-greats-interview-ben-vaughn/

They took it even more seriously than I imagined. Deaner only plays guitar on one song, and then it's just the solo.

The video for You Were The Fool (in Birmingham, 2007) at the end of that article is frankly beautiful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxrGenR1Lzk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

That link helped me find this kind of pretty but oddly empty take on Birthday Boy by Mary Lou Lord and Elliot Smith and this cool vocal take on Baby Bitch by Jon Auer. So thanks for that. There are lots of random YouTube videos of people covering Ween, but there are precious few professional covers out there.

I also have a really iffy collection of no-names on a tribute album I bought from somewhere on the internet a decade ago called How To Be Brown. It's pretty dang amateur Brown but I still got my :10bux: plus shipping out of it. Some of the songs are even listenable!