Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

weirdojace posted:

I don't care what they do, I just want a new Ween album, period.

Totally agree, I loved 'Quebec' and 'Shinola, Vol. 1', but really couldn't get in 'La Cucaracha' and have barely listened to it or 'The Friends EP'.

A 'Shinola, Vol. 2' would be great, especially if we finally got studio versions of 'The Final Alarm', 'Leave Deaner Alone' or 'Cover It With Gas and Set It On Fire'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N. posted:

Got a little more used to Quebec. "The Argus" is my pick of the moment from it. Not only the melodies and the structure is great, but the Weens' primitive society-themed lyrics, along with "Among His Tribe"'s, rule.

"Transdermal Celebration"'s too. "But the mutants that I see shine their beauty onto me, I wish you could see them"! I wish the clip for it was more grotesque.

I just can't get enough of "So Many People in the Neighbourhood", but then I think my favourite songs from 'Shinola' are "Big Fat gently caress" and "Tastes Good on the Bun". Anything that sounds like their early songs in terms of weirdness, but with their recent production is the best.

Edit: How could I forget 'Captain' and 'I Don't Want It'. I can't get over how different the songs on 'Quebec' are, but they all work together nonetheless.

shmee fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 21, 2012

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

weirdojace posted:

This too. It's been way too long. I'd even settle for a Shinola Volume 2 at this point.

Me too but it doesn't sound like it's too likely to happen any time soon.

Dean Ween posted:

We put out [the unreleased-songs compilation] Shinola, and I had really mixed emotions about doing it. I don't like to do anything that feels reflective or retrospective when we're still making new records. It's not a healthy thing to do. We called it Volume 1, but I don't know if I want to go through that again anytime soon. The songs on that record are songs we regretted not putting on other records. There was no going through tapes trying to find stuff.
From an A.V. Club interview.

:smith:

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Looks like Aaron's tour has been completely canceled, due to low ticket sales.

Consequently:

His Twitter now says "Last twat removed but not retracted. It has little place among the greatness & positives I wish 2 promote. Let ween mean music one day again".

Is this the first comments (such as they are) from anyone else connected to Ween since he left? Mickey has been silent about it (save the Facebook comment) hasn't he?

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

weirdojace posted:

There you have it. Deaner isn't wholeheartedly convinced that Ween is over. I'm not going to get my hopes up or anything, but the dude seems pretty aware of what's going on.

Yeah definitely. After Claude's tweet I'd pretty much given up on it but

quote:

I’ve spoken with him, and you haven’t seen the last of us. Like I said, I wouldn’t even be surprised. It might not look the same as it did before. We might just go out and it might be the two of us like Simon & Garfunkel sitting there. Whatever it takes to reconnect and make it fun again for us. The most important thing to me is that he’s healthy and that he’s happy doing it, and like I said, if after 28 years of doing it, I could see why the idea of quitting it would be kind of romantic for a minute.

encouraged me. The idea of going back to being a duo is pretty interesting too.

Callick posted:

Ouch. Right on the heels of Aaron's massive clusterfuck comes a likely successful tour by Mickey. Spite?

The article answers that too. Mickey still loves Aaron :allears:

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Some recent updates:

Depressingly the Ween split looks pretty final now from http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2012/10/dean-gene-ween-duke-it-out-online/

There's a fair bit in there but I'm still a bit fuzzy on what the fallout is. As far as I could work out, Aaron has been reading askdeaner.com and got upset about the post Deaner did about what alcohol he enjoys (or more that he drinks a lot).

Aaron posted:

The only thing I took offense too was Mickeys public remark about his excessive alcohol consumption, in my eyes it was disrespectful.

So this?

askdeaner.com posted:

Question::
Whats your favorite type of liquor? Not beer, liquor type and brand.
Top five.
Thanks
Mike B.

A- I drink Jameson, a lot of it. I also drink Crown Royal, a lot of it. Ketel One, tons of it, Patron, and Laphoroaig, whioch I absolutely love but it’s kind of on the expensive side for the amount of drinking we do.

Anyway ignore all that, remember the kick-rear end albums and look forward tooooo..

Deaner posted:

I commenced writing new songs for a record about a year ago but got very serious around July of this year. since then I have been pretty much completely off the grid except for this website. I postponed all of my fishing charters until a later date and since mid-August I’ve been in the studio non-stop, 7 days a week working from 7pm until 7am. I wake up around 3 or 4 in the afternoon and I’m sorry to my friends who haven’t gotten any callbacks or email responses. I am on a mission to try and make a truly classic album and haven’t been so focused and driven in many years. The music will speak for itself when it’s released next year, to my ears and those people whose opinions matter it is pretty drat smokin’. My band is a combination of the best musicians I’ve encountered over the years. Guy Heller, Claude Coleman, Chuck Treece, Dave Dreiwitz, Glenn McClelland, Joe Kramer, Andrew Weiss, Joe Russo, Scott Metzger, Josh Homme, Nick Oliveri, the list goes on and on and I’m sorry if I’ve forgotten anyone. We are in the thick of it right now and if we were forced to stop we’d have about 2 full albums of keeper quality songs already. We are keeping at it until November and then we’re going to Los Angeles to record the album with Josh Homme as the producer in mid-January, you heard it here first, although I’ve known this for months. Sonically it’s pretty drat impressive, my engineering chops have improved significantly over the years (25 years of recording tends to help) and if you can’t already tell, I’m very excited. It’s hard to even call what we’re doing “demos” because they sound incredible. Here’s a photo album of a recent session. I tried to make this album public, please let me know if it works!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4577060465940.187204.1274714937&type=1&l=0aa57dbb23

Really excited this. And hey, if you look at that Facebook album, you'll see that you can also get Deaner to record your album (if he likes your music) and live in his studio while you do it.

Deaner really seems to have his poo poo together right now.

Incidentally if you want to add askdeaner.com to your Google Reader or whatever RSS reader you use, you can add http://036271e.netsolhost.com/WordPress/feed/ and that'll do it.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

A SHAMEFUL CAT posted:

I realize that they are/were close dudes who had their own ways of communicating with each other but the paranoia evident in Aaron's remark as well as, well, every bit of his behavior the last few months hardly suggests "clean from drugs" to me. Hope I'm wrong.

Yeah it's disappointing how it the breakup of the band has all unfolded, but also really troubling that he seems to be lashing out, and what the reasons for that may or may not be.

Something I just found though, is that the Deaner solo stuff, has a name. MIGGY

MIGGY posted:

The new Moistboyz and Miggy material is some of the most vicious guitar music ever put down on tape. I can't wait to unleash it on the world and take it to the stage. I am blessed to be surrounded by so many talented people. Back at it again in an hour--we wrote and recorded two songs in one day yesterday and they're both awesome!

I failed to mention that the name of my record is MIGGY. Not Deaner, not "my solo album", just "MIGGY".

:rock:

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Harminoff posted:

Well it's kind of both, at least live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1IgetTnua0

I love this version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDu-0kp6w9I

Two man Ween was awesome.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Abu Dave posted:

It seems all the albums have gone OOP, and I don't have a ebay account so i've been trying to track them down. Just managed to find Quebec so far :(

Can't you just order them from http://www.chocodogmerch.com/ or am I misunderstanding something?

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

weirdojace posted:

They're out of stock if you actually try to buy them.

The 'Shinola' vinyl isn't out of stock.

Incidentally, guess which was the only thing I tried to see if there was stock.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

In looking up that (I never knew but yeah, can see it's a blue version of their 'All The Great Hits') I found this article about the making of the country album. A great read.

http://tasteofcountry.com/ween-12-golden-country-greats-interview-ben-vaughn/

They took it even more seriously than I imagined. Deaner only plays guitar on one song, and then it's just the solo.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Did this get posted, couldn't see it? From March 9th:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyiYLCsvNio

askdeaner.com posted:

Wilson Baseball Gloves has a Mr. Miyagi and I provide the soundtrack for his work. Check out this commercial I just did for Wilson Baseball Gloves. i played all the instruments and recorded this at my studio not less than 72 hours ago! Quick turnaround.

Nice groove.

I found a copy of the Grand Royal release of 'Chocolate and Cheese' on vinyl in a local record store second hand for about $10 the other day so picked that up. Sounds great! And then found that I could get the Chocodog version of the 'Quebec' 12" from amazon.co.jp so should have that in a day or two. As my favourite of theirs I'm pretty happy to have that on its way.

The Internet seems to hate anything released on Plain Records, which seems to be just about the only way to get things like 'White Pepper'.. does anyone here have experience of their Ween pressings and if they are any good? I picked up their releases of the Sparklehorse albums and they sounded alright, but a bit flat and were missing odd songs here and there and other weird choices. Apparently they source the sound from CD for their pressings, and if I can tell the difference on my crappy speakers I don't really see the point in getting their stuff any more.

shmee fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 22, 2013

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Eddie Dingle posted:

Woah, how did I not know there was a ween thread!? I have Several of their releases(White Pepper, The Mollusk, CC, and 12 golden) Got them so I could stash my originals away for safe keeping and still get my ween on. I think they sound Great. Hardly notice any difference, although its been a while since I've listened to my first pressings. But yeah, I'd recommend them. Nice heavy vinyl and cool colors too. Not sure where to buy them any more though, but they're worth it If you can Find em at reasonable price.

Sweet, picked up 'The Mollusk' and 'White Pepper' from Amazon(.co.jp). They seem to be back in stock on Ween.com if anyone else wants them, but international postage is a bitch for me, and Amazon had the Schnitzel records release of 'Shinola Vol 1' so got that too, and that's still out on Ween.com.

Can't really comment on live shows, as I don't remember which is which. If it's on YouTube or somewhere like that, then their Halloween shows are hard to top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-abpNGWiXn0

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

If you have Facebook, or possibly if you don't as it doesn't seem to be restricted, make sure you are watching the "Boognish Rising Documentary" page - https://www.facebook.com/BoognishRisingDocumentary

They've just posted the first three Ween self-released cassettes on Dropbox, and a music video for unreleased track "Big Baboons". All great stuff. The guy who's doing this is getting all this stuff straight from Aaron so he's been given permission to put it up too.

I don't know the status of the documentary he's making, he stopped for a while as Mickey wasn't keen on helping, but it seems like he's back putting stuff together.

Edit: the download of the three tapes is in aiff format so about 1.11GB. Just a warning.

shmee fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 4, 2013

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

snorch posted:

Anyways, I was kind of surprised to hear a Ween cover on the radio recently; a local Bavarian band called Triska recorded an excellent cover of The Stallion Pt. 3. Unfortunately I can't find any links to Youtube or the like, although I can find it on Spotify, and a preview can be heard here.

What other Ween covers are there? I know that Mary Lou Lord and Elliot Smith covered 'Birthday Boy' together, as did GWAR on one of their singles. Then Ash covered 'What Deaner Was Talking About' on some live album recorded on Australian radio. Oh and Phish cover 'Roses Are Free'. But there must be some great ones out there.

Also Guitar Moves is universally great. Matt Sweeny's enthusiasm is contagious and I end up trying (and failing miserably) to learn sweet guitar techniques while I watch. But I suck. Shame.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

ThaGhettoJew posted:

That link helped me find this kind of pretty but oddly empty take on Birthday Boy by Mary Lou Lord and Elliot Smith and this cool vocal take on Baby Bitch by Jon Auer. So thanks for that. There are lots of random YouTube videos of people covering Ween, but there are precious few professional covers out there.

I also have a really iffy collection of no-names on a tribute album I bought from somewhere on the internet a decade ago called How To Be Brown. It's pretty dang amateur Brown but I still got my :10bux: plus shipping out of it. Some of the songs are even listenable!

As much as I don't much care for them now, Ash were the reason I got into Ween, both from their cover of 'What Deaner Was Talking About', and how they went on about them in interviews. Actually Ash got me into The Flaming Lips too by saying how great 'Finally The Punk Rockers Are Taking Acid' is. I always imagined there'd be loads of covers of Ween.

For some reason I thought Cat Power had covered 'Birthday Boy' but that seems to have been a fevered dream.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Harminoff posted:

Here is the Long Beach Island tape that is hard to find as people don't really share it considering it's a stolen cd from Deaners car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUGNlME-s9M

This is great, they have too much quality unreleased material. I really hope for more Shinolas.

PUT CHO BOOBS ON, SHAKE SHAKE

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

You could put "Your Party" from La Cucaracha I suppose.

Also if you don't mind stuff not from albums then there is always "Kim Smoltz" (unreleased but you can get it from BrownTracker), "I'll Miss You" from the "Beautiful Girls" soundtrack, and maybe "Beacon Light" from the X-Files album. All pretty accessible. "The Rainbow" is a great tune but the lyrics might not be what you are after.

Edit: Or just the "Live in Chicago" album?

VV This reply is far more valid than anything I have said VV

shmee fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 9, 2014

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Excellent quality video of a recent live show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_9h4ZmaKd4

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

The model from the cover of "Chocolate and Cheese" has aged badly, man..

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

me your dad posted:

Double posting because a few people on Facebook are sharing some quality rarity compilations. They've all been released before I think, but the second link seems to contain higher-quality versions of tracks (such as Albino Sunburned Girl).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6hmqg4pedzwtoxe/AACLT3vl-lluB6cG7zzCq31Ha?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u2rhc2rdvb9b0fz/AACTsn8z34bWSiAnBsqj5sS6a?dl=0

These links are dead, has anyone rehosted them anywhere?

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

I'd thought the same, thanks for the links!

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Kim Smoltz is an unreleased classic in that vein:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K65dRRa3GoM

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Harminoff posted:

Might be my favorite song. It's strange that they didn't think this was good enough for the album and put Pink Eye (On my leg) instead. Same with Did You See Me.

Actually Deaner answered this on his old "Ask Deaner" site:

quote:

Strange that I get so many emails about this song, I never thought of it is anything too special but i like it. We did this song at the beach house to 16 track tape when we were recording “The Mollusk.” The synth line is played on an old Moog Synthesizer that was actually manufactured by Radio Shack. The song originally was a narrative. I was talking over it like, “Kim Smoltz, where are you now honey?” It was reading a love letter to an old fictitious girlfriend from high school. We liked the music too much to leave it like that so instead Aaron wrote the lyrics to it and that’s the version out on the web now. We left the title the same though and it makes no sense in the current context of the song. It would have fit nicely on The Mollusk I think, but so would “Did You See Me”. Things have to get cut sometimes to make an album more cohesive and that one got the axe.

Make of that what you will. The side's available on archive.org but otherwise is down.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Blast Fantasto posted:

If anyone is in to stuff from The Pod / Pure Guava / GodWeenSatan, you've gotta pick up their live release At The Cat's Cradle, 1992:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_the_Cat%27s_Cradle,_1992

It's probably my favorite Ween release. Great live performances of stuff from those three albums and a super early version of Buckingham Green, too.

It's actually probably a good way to get in to those first couple albums if their aggressive weirdness puts you off; the live versions are nor stripped down and direct.

Seconding this, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDu-0kp6w9I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

He was on the Celebration Rock podcast as well. He said he'd love to do new Ween material but didn't seem very confident about it actually happening. He was also quiet when asked about his relationship with Gene.

https://www.acast.com/celebrationrock/dean-ween-continues-to-wave-the-ween-flag