Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

That link helped me find this kind of pretty but oddly empty take on Birthday Boy by Mary Lou Lord and Elliot Smith and this cool vocal take on Baby Bitch by Jon Auer. So thanks for that. There are lots of random YouTube videos of people covering Ween, but there are precious few professional covers out there.

I also have a really iffy collection of no-names on a tribute album I bought from somewhere on the internet a decade ago called How To Be Brown. It's pretty dang amateur Brown but I still got my :10bux: plus shipping out of it. Some of the songs are even listenable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

ThaGhettoJew posted:

That link helped me find this kind of pretty but oddly empty take on Birthday Boy by Mary Lou Lord and Elliot Smith and this cool vocal take on Baby Bitch by Jon Auer. So thanks for that. There are lots of random YouTube videos of people covering Ween, but there are precious few professional covers out there.

I also have a really iffy collection of no-names on a tribute album I bought from somewhere on the internet a decade ago called How To Be Brown. It's pretty dang amateur Brown but I still got my :10bux: plus shipping out of it. Some of the songs are even listenable!

As much as I don't much care for them now, Ash were the reason I got into Ween, both from their cover of 'What Deaner Was Talking About', and how they went on about them in interviews. Actually Ash got me into The Flaming Lips too by saying how great 'Finally The Punk Rockers Are Taking Acid' is. I always imagined there'd be loads of covers of Ween.

For some reason I thought Cat Power had covered 'Birthday Boy' but that seems to have been a fevered dream.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

:rock: I'm gonna be your lawn mower and CUT YOUR FUCKIN GRASS! :rock:

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

"Kick you in the pussy" never fails to make me laugh

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

nasboat posted:

"Kick you in the pussy" never fails to make me laugh

I always thought it was "Kick it with a pussy"?

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

thepokey posted:

I always thought it was "Kick it with a pussy"?

Hmm, dunno, I always just assumed the former. Either way, good stuff from Deaner.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
There is a striking similarity between the song Tick from GodWeenSatan and Tick by Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I'm on my phone otherwise I'd post YouTube videos. Both songs are also roughly 1:50 long, give or take a second.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Well this is disappointing:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Wasn't Gene giving him footage to use? So when he's saying "subjects" he must be talking about Deaner. Pretty disappointing. Don't see what the big fuss is about.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
It seems like Dean and Gene seem to keep swapping on how comfortable they are having rare stuff released. As far as I know, Dean released that Quebec demo stuff online without consulting Gene and Gene wasn't really happy with it. Now it's like things have flipped and there's a lot of demo/rare stuff that Dean doesn't want out that Gene does. Make your mind up dudes!

EDDIE__DINGLE
Mar 18, 2013
Yea that is bummer about the documentary, it looks like Deaner wasn't interested. Regarding the unreleased materials I think Deaner has kinda always been in charge of that since he has always been the primary editor. I think when the band was active Deaner would release that stuff because he was confident new material was still coming and they could release things like caesar and craters of the sac to keep our interest piqued in between albums. Now I think Deaner is being more conservative in their old materials release so they can do more things like shinola.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
New Aaron Freeman track (thing)

https://soundcloud.com/a-freeman/me-and-my-stump

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

EDDIE__DINGLE posted:

Yea that is bummer about the documentary, it looks like Deaner wasn't interested. Regarding the unreleased materials I think Deaner has kinda always been in charge of that since he has always been the primary editor. I think when the band was active Deaner would release that stuff because he was confident new material was still coming and they could release things like caesar and craters of the sac to keep our interest piqued in between albums. Now I think Deaner is being more conservative in their old materials release so they can do more things like shinola.

Man, a new Shinola would be perfect. I don't care if I've heard all the songs before, I just wish a new addition to the Ween catalog would come out. But even Deaner said to not hold our breath on that...

I'm still not completely convinced that at some point these guys won't get back together and do some reunion shows or something. But maybe I'm just in denial.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

weirdojace posted:

Man, a new Shinola would be perfect. I don't care if I've heard all the songs before, I just wish a new addition to the Ween catalog would come out. But even Deaner said to not hold our breath on that...

I'm still not completely convinced that at some point these guys won't get back together and do some reunion shows or something. But maybe I'm just in denial.

I can't think of too many rock bands that have stayed broken up forever, but this one feels like it might be for a while, and who knows if the money's going to be there as an incentive when they get their issues resolved. It kinda feels like the peak of their popularity has come and gone.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

weirdojace posted:

I want to hear all five Stallions live on the reunion tour, as they did with All Request.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Replying to my own post so this could be bumped up - cool new interview with Deaner where he opens up a bit about his relationship with Gener, and fishing.

Link to article

Some choice bits:

Mickey Melchiondo posted:

Q. Have you talked to him?

A. Not really. Not in person. It's text messages, e-mails. It's mostly goofy s---. We send each other funny YouTube videos or, "You wouldn't believe this just happened."

Whatever the process is of Ween, whether Ween gets back together or not, it hasn't come to the point yet where something is about to happen. If we get back together or when we get back together, I would like to think that we both will want to do it really badly and it won't be something like money that makes it happen again. Right now, it hasn't been so long where I don't remember exactly what it was like and I feel like if we had to do a show tonight, I'm ready for it. I know exactly how the day would play out. I can imagine talking to Aaron, seeing Aaron, getting picked up in a van, going to the gig, doing the sound check.

Q. You feel like you need more time or do you have a sense that Aaron needs more time?

A. It can't happen without it being right and joyous. Ween is a happy, joyous thing. It makes people happy. It makes people smile. It makes people laugh. It makes people rock out. If we're up there and we're not happy then the whole thing is a catastrophe and it was trending towards that and it wasn't my decision to stop it but I'm not dumb enough not to see that it was wounded. It wasn't where it should be. It wasn't fun all the time.

Seeing as how it's been a year and nothing has really been said or communicated, I doubt that in the next month or two you're going to see us on stage but maybe in the next week or two the process will start, whatever that process is. I have nothing more to say about it because I haven't talked to Aaron. I can only speak for myself. I feel completely differently about Ween than I did two months ago. And two months before that, I felt completely differently about it and maybe six months before that, I was really pissed at Aaron.

EDDIE__DINGLE
Mar 18, 2013
Deaner played a ween show with the band "the Pod" at the tonic room in Chicago last night. Video/audio links will follow down the road. More info. http://weendotnetforum16662.yuku.com/topic/34323/Deaner-played-a-whole-show-with-ThePod-In-Chicago-last-night

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

me your dad posted:

Replying to my own post so this could be bumped up - cool new interview with Deaner where he opens up a bit about his relationship with Gener, and fishing.

Link to article

Some choice bits:

:unsmith:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Was doing some editing work tonight, decided to throw on one Ween record. Then another. Then another. Had no idea this thread was here, keeping track of business. Totally bookmarking it in case the boys decide to do a thing (I'm behind on catching up with their solo stuff anyway, I need to get stuck in with that.)

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Allen Wren posted:

Was doing some editing work tonight, decided to throw on one Ween record. Then another. Then another. Had no idea this thread was here, keeping track of business. Totally bookmarking it in case the boys decide to do a thing (I'm behind on catching up with their solo stuff anyway, I need to get stuck in with that.)

Moistboys are still good.

Marvelous Clouds by Aaron Freeman is freaking horrible, just a heads up.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

God Of Paradise posted:

Moistboys are still good.

Marvelous Clouds by Aaron Freeman is freaking horrible, just a heads up.

A few of the Marvelous Clouds tracks have grown on me. This song for example, is pretty good, and could have been at home on White Pepper.

I don't like Moistboyz but I am looking forward to Deaner's Miggy project, whenever that comes out.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I found a copy of 12 Golden Country Greats in a thrift store dollar bin. It's been getting a lot of play in my car, that has to be Ween's most underrated album just because so many people won't give country music a chance.

"Powder Blue", "Help Me Scrape the Mucus Off my Brain", "You Were the Fool", there's some stone cold classics on that album.

The only song I don't really like is "Mr. Richard Smoker". It's not a funny as it thinks it is and comes out just kind of dopey.

I will defend "Piss Up a Rope" to the death though, that's such a cutting parody of the "I'm done with this darn woman" country music trope.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Blast Fantasto posted:

I found a copy of 12 Golden Country Greats in a thrift store dollar bin. It's been getting a lot of play in my car, that has to be Ween's most underrated album just because so many people won't give country music a chance.

"Powder Blue", "Help Me Scrape the Mucus Off my Brain", "You Were the Fool", there's some stone cold classics on that album.

The only song I don't really like is "Mr. Richard Smoker". It's not a funny as it thinks it is and comes out just kind of dopey.

I will defend "Piss Up a Rope" to the death though, that's such a cutting parody of the "I'm done with this darn woman" country music trope.

No "Fluffy" love? Nice way to finish the album off.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
You think Fluffy is good on the album? They rock it when they do it live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWF5MSeqONU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Blast Fantasto posted:

The key changes at the end are great. Also the six solos.

EDDIE__DINGLE
Mar 18, 2013
"help me scrape the mucas off my brain" was the only song i wanted played at my wedding, with a little forethought i should have saved that one for the divorce. Moistboyz rule btw Guy Hellar is nuts but dude rocks. GO METH ROCK

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I was reading a book that I thought would be interesting to this thread for anyone that hasn't seen it. There's a book series, 33 1/3, by various authors, that tell the story of specific landmark albums. Paul's Boutique, Reign in Blood, etc.

There's one for Chocolate and Cheese if you're interested. I've enjoyed reading it, and I'm sure many of you would too. It's a quick read.

Mickey is doing fishing charters now. I'm not terribly far away, I've thought of going up there and doing that.

EDDIE__DINGLE
Mar 18, 2013
I've got that 33 1/3 ween edition and enjoyed it, I liked how they spent some time talking about them before C&C and after up though the Mollusk. My only wish was that they had done it on Pure Guava instead, it's just my opinion but C&C is the least like WEEN album there is. There are some great songs but as they transition from lofi to polished recordings on that album its production has always felt forced and less like an album to be listened to end to end. When I listen to La Cucaracha, 12 golden country hits, or the Mollusk I start at track one and proceed through the high and lows to the end, for that matter GWS and PG as well. C&C is the ipod album that gets bounced around and pass of half the songs.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I think I'd like to listen to Chocolate & Cheese the whole way through if not for Buenas Tardes Amigo. That was a fun song to listen to exactly once.

EDDIE__DINGLE
Mar 18, 2013

Rollersnake posted:

I think I'd like to listen to Chocolate & Cheese the whole way through if not for Buenas Tardes Amigo. That was a fun song to listen to exactly once.

yea i feel that way about fiesta and hiv as well after seeing them performed way to many times live. buenos tardes amigo still holds a soft spot for me if you ever get a chance to see gener solo he kills it.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
If you like Ween you might like this band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HQaBWziYvY

EDDIE__DINGLE
Mar 18, 2013

Oppenheimer posted:

If you like Ween you might like this band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HQaBWziYvY

hmm i guess is friends the only ween song you've ever heard?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
If you like Ween you might like this band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmsC6BniFUA

:drum:

Moistboyz V is now out, this is studio footage set to the track Medusa.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Handen posted:

If you like Ween you might like this band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmsC6BniFUA

:drum:

Moistboyz V is now out, this is studio footage set to the track Medusa.

It's on Spotify, too!

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
Gener's Gone, in case anybody forgot.

(Haven't listened yet. At work.)

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Discombobulator posted:

Gener's Gone, in case anybody forgot.

(Haven't listened yet. At work.)

This is good.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

EDDIE__DINGLE posted:

I've got that 33 1/3 ween edition and enjoyed it, I liked how they spent some time talking about them before C&C and after up though the Mollusk. My only wish was that they had done it on Pure Guava instead, it's just my opinion but C&C is the least like WEEN album there is. There are some great songs but as they transition from lofi to polished recordings on that album its production has always felt forced and less like an album to be listened to end to end. When I listen to La Cucaracha, 12 golden country hits, or the Mollusk I start at track one and proceed through the high and lows to the end, for that matter GWS and PG as well. C&C is the ipod album that gets bounced around and pass of half the songs.

I read that book too, and enjoyed it immensely - especially the chapter about Candi. Chocolate and Cheese, while arguably not their best album, is certainly (arguably again) their most interesting if not just for the fact that it represented such a shift in their music. I remember the first time I heard it. I couldn't even believe it was the same band I had been listening to during the previous year when I got turned onto Pure Guava first, then GWS and the Pod. Then when they released 12 Golden Country Greats they lost me (it didn't help that I was about 17 years old and getting heavily into electronic music - who had time for country?). I couldn't make sense of what happened to the weird, sludgy, druggy Ween I loved.

I didn't get turned onto their new material until about seven years ago when my friend played Shinola, White Pepper, and particularly, Quebec.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 16, 2013

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Hey sweet now I have a song I can play at parties when I win a game of Beer Pong.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Gener's Gone is pretty good. I'm confident that Ween will be back in the next ~2 years. Once Aaron is comfortable in sobriety and willing to tour again.

I think him releasing music that's sourced to "Gene Ween" is a good sign, even if it's the supposed "final recordings"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Nice to have a studio nature man. Worth 10 bucks.