Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PqjpPKLpac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Just discovered this awesome local dreampop band!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4_G0XGigT0

chaibat
Aug 21, 2008

Ofecks posted:

I finally sat down to do this. Installed Audacity, and mechanically, the process was easy. It's been a long time since I've used this app, and the last time I did, I had to download extra plug-ins for format support. No more of that, looks like everything is built-in now. It went something like this:

• File -> Import Audio -> <audio file>
  • Tracks -> Mix -> Mix Stereo Down to Mono
  • Tracks -> Add New -> Stereo Track
  • Double-click the mono track to select all, copy/paste into the new stereo track
  • Delete the mono track
  • File -> Export -> Export Audio (I chose 24-bit FLAC); edit tags to denote new version
  • File -> Close, do not save
  • Repeat for each song on album

Hey, thanks for taking the effort for my dumb question! If you feel like it, look for ‘ease of access’ in Windows. I think there’s an option to enable mono audio under ‘hearing’

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

chaibat posted:

If you feel like it, look for ‘ease of access’ in Windows. I think there’s an option to enable mono audio under ‘hearing’

Woa, so there is! Thank you! This is certainly a lot easier than the Audacity process. Unfortunately, much like the former, this way also noticeably impacts the fidelity in a negative way. It sounds identical to the "squished" version of the album I made. I guess that's just the way it is. Computer science, etc.

The real solution here is for bands to not loving hard-pan individual instruments on their records and mix them like normal loving music.

Now to figure out if there's a similar mono audio option for Android. I have my entire music library on my phone (cheaper ones still have microSD slots and analog headphone jacks!), so that's my portable way of listening to tunes.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Ofecks posted:

Woa, so there is! Thank you! This is certainly a lot easier than the Audacity process. Unfortunately, much like the former, this way also noticeably impacts the fidelity in a negative way. It sounds identical to the "squished" version of the album I made. I guess that's just the way it is. Computer science, etc.

The real solution here is for bands to not loving hard-pan individual instruments on their records and mix them like normal loving music.

Now to figure out if there's a similar mono audio option for Android. I have my entire music library on my phone (cheaper ones still have microSD slots and analog headphone jacks!), so that's my portable way of listening to tunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F0IilO_Xs8

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Didn't even have to watch the vid, the thumbnail was enough. Found the Accessibility menu on mine and a mono option is indeed in there. Thanks!

chaibat
Aug 21, 2008

Ofecks posted:

Woa, so there is! Thank you! This is certainly a lot easier than the Audacity process. Unfortunately, much like the former, this way also noticeably impacts the fidelity in a negative way. It sounds identical to the "squished" version of the album I made. I guess that's just the way it is.

That’s disappointing, but thanks for running the experiment. I guess one sided deafness is a rareish edge case for headphone usage? I would think there’s a lot of people who’d like to have stereo sound using only one earbud though.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Im pretty late to the party here but shoutouts to everyone ITT who was on to the last Hum album a couple of years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpnOWqutzl8

This band completely passed me by in the '90s and initially only Desert Rambler caught my ear from this release

But boy was this a grower, i cant get some of the songs out of my head now hahaha

Amazing album.

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 11, 2023

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

ROFLBOT posted:

Im pretty late to the party here but shoutouts to everyone ITT who was on to the last Hum album a couple of years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpnOWqutzl8

This band completely passed me by in the '90s and initially only Desert Rambler caught my ear from this release

But boy was this a grower, i cant get some of the songs out of my head now hahaha

Amazing album.

Yeah this record was a hell of a surprise. No one had any idea they were working on it until it dropped. Hum could've been considered one of the mildly-shoegaze-adjacent bands of the 90's but they went full tilt on this one.

Agreed Desert Rambler is an absolute masterpiece. The whole album is perfectly mixed, too. The FLACs from Bandcamp sound amazing.

Shame about their drummer. RIP. Makes me wonder if we'll ever get anything from them again.

Speaking of their drummer, I love this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jQzNtQhraQ

He completely destroys his kit.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Finally I have an excuse to visit Las Vegas to see Slowdive

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

Finally I have an excuse to visit Las Vegas to see Slowdive

Wow. If you had told me Slowdive, Drop Nineteens, Killing Joke, and Swans were on the festival poster and asked me to guess another band on it, I would have needed a while.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Major Operation posted:

Wow. If you had told me Slowdive, Drop Nineteens, Killing Joke, and Swans were on the festival poster and asked me to guess another band on it, I would have needed a while.

Are those the only four Nu-Metal bands you know? :angel:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i would go but i'm afraid the numetal fans would beat me up when i start crying during When the Sun Hits.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Have A Nice Life is another good one snuck in there.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Glare is pretty cool. Surprised to see they got a spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcz3WwaMIX0

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
This is a good one

https://twitter.com/SlumberlandRecs/status/1712839795838431584

Orchestrated Mess
Dec 12, 2009

Fuck art. Let's dance.

Could have sworn someone posted https://decayfm.com/ here and I came back to say thank you after a month of listening at work every day, but now I think I'm maybe mistaken. Regardless, it's a great ad-free radio station of all shoegaze/dreampop. Have a huge list of tracks I've been writing down throughout the day, and so far I've gone through the discography of Soft Blue Shimmer and Trementina and am glad to have discovered both.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Emma Anderson of Lush has released her first solo album Pearlies today. I’m a few songs in now and it’s quite lovely and quite good.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Sometimes I would wonder if Emma still played music, as the last I heard she was a full-time working single mom, raising a kid. I guess the answer is a resounding "yes"!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Ofecks posted:

Sometimes I would wonder if Emma still played music, as the last I heard she was a full-time working single mom, raising a kid. I guess the answer is a resounding "yes"!

I was excited about the short-lived Lush reunion and consumed every live recording I could find. Unfortunately, Emma's voice has changed enough that she didn't sound very good on the old Lush songs (plus perhaps she was 20+ years out of practice). It was especially jarring because Miki can still nail those vocals.

I'll check this out for sure; hopefully she's come up with some songs that fit her current singing voice better.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
New Drop Nineteens is good.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Hot Diggity! posted:

New Drop Nineteens is good.

Agreed, it’s quite nice

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCnI3CiluHM

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/LesaHannah/status/1720579921007812625

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

MBV rhythm section gets slept on i feel like. Deb was in a band called Snowpony that was made up of ex shoegaze or adjacent bands, including Deb(bie) Smith from Curve, during those late 90s years when it was no longer cool to make that kind of music. they had a song called Hank Williams' rear end but it is too obscure to even be on youtube it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndlAwzUTDZk

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Snowpony was cool. Those albums are dirt cheap used on discogs, I’m going to buy em I think.

Deb kicks rear end in Thurston Moore’s band too.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Ordered a T-shirt from Blushing on Bandcamp Friday and it included a little thank-you note:

I will treasure it always.

A couple years ago, I bought a CD from Whirr and it came with:
- A pixie stick
- A page ripped out of a paperback novel
- One of those fortune-telling fish

All this poo poo rules. I'm going to be very sad when Bandcamp gets gutted by the new corporate overlords.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ofecks posted:

A couple years ago, I bought a CD from Whirr and it came with:
- A pixie stick
- A page ripped out of a paperback novel
- One of those fortune-telling fish

All this poo poo rules. I'm going to be very sad when Bandcamp gets gutted by the new corporate overlords.

that's Graveface Records style. i've got an old lunchbox filled with the stuff they've sent me.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Closed Tear is pretty sick

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...
Late to the party but new Slowdive good

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Slowdive, hotline TNT, drop nineteens albums all good. A good time for shoegaze

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

whos that broooown posted:

What a bunch of sellouts. This is shoegaze - things aren't supposed to be looking up!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
been meaning to post about hotline tnt in here. new album is incredible

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Reid brothers dropped a new single, with a new album out next year I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3_NOCiRbII

The early bits remind me of Munki, an album that I don't really hate.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Anyone going to see Slowdive on their upcoming US tour? I just got my ticket :dance:

quote:

25 April 24: The Majestic Ventura Theater, Ventura, CA, USA
26 April 24: The Fox Theater, Pomona, CA, USA
27 April 24: Sick New World Festival - Las Vegas, NV, USA
28 April 24: The Van Burren, Phoenix, AZ, USA
30 April 24: The Historic El Rey Theater, Albuquerque, NM, USA
01 May 24: Levitt Pavillion, Denver, CO, USA
03 May 24: The Truman, Kansas City, MO, USA
04 May 24: The Pageant, St. Louis, MO, USA
05 May 24: Egyptian Room At Old National Centre, Indianapolis, IN, USA
07 May 24: Paristown Hall, Louisville, KY, USA
08 May 24: The Caverns, Pelham, TN, USA
10 May 24: Longhorn Ballroom, Dallas, TX, USA
11 May 24: White Oak Music Hall, Houston, TX, USA
12 May 24: Moody Theater, Austin, TX, USA
14 May 24: The Civic Theatre, New Orleans, LA, USA
16 May 24: Avondale Brewing Company, Birmingham, AL, USA
17 May 24: The Eastern, Atlanta, GA, USA
18 May 24: Rabbit Rabbit, Asheville, NC, USA

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Rageaholic posted:

Anyone going to see Slowdive on their upcoming US tour? I just got my ticket :dance:

Nice :)

The tour skips the northeast entirely. Maybe they're trying not to steal Drop Nineteens's thunder :P

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

They came through NE and the Mid-Atlantic a few months ago, in September I think.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Ofecks posted:

They came through NE and the Mid-Atlantic a few months ago, in September I think.

poo poo :(

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

whos that broooown posted:

Man, the last 10+ years have been good for shoegaze!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

There was a clear resurgence in the 2010's. I have a few albums from the naughties that fit the bill (Airiel, Stella Luna, The Meeting Places), but pretty much no one was doing shoegaze then.

e: also Depreciation Guild, Film School, and Fleeting Joys. I guess it was being done, per se, but probably didn't have many listeners.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 10, 2023