Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaibat
Aug 21, 2008

Ofecks posted:

Okay, so having listenened to this album several times now, I have regretfully discovered that I hate the mix job. The rhythm guitar is hard-panned left, and the lead is hard-panned right. One in each ear, since I only listen with headphones. Why would they choose to do it this way? I love everything else about the songs, but the mix loving ruined it. I'm surprised I didn't catch this when I listened to the singles on Bandcamp, or my first listen of the album proper. Maybe it would sound better in a bluetooth speaker or something. Like, I know this sort of thing is pretty common in all kinds of rock music, to simulate a "live" feel of the band members on a stage or whatever, but this album takes it to an extreme, as if the amps are 100 ft or more away from each other. I've been to a few shows and live music does not sound like that. At least the bass, drums, and vocals are dead-center. It's just woefully disconnecting and my brain has trouble parsing it all out. I learned recently that I'm on the Autism Spectrum, maybe that's part of it.

The Trauma Ray EP I bought does something similar, but it doesn't seem quite as bad.

I'm tempted to load the album in Audacity to just squish all the tracks into some kind of double-mono output. It would destroy any other stereo effects present but I think I'd enjoy it like that. I just have little tolerance for instruments confined to a single ear.

Kind of a weird question: Like 15 years ago, I suddenly lost the hearing completely in one ear (acoustic neuroma tumor). One thing I really miss is stereo sound. I use mono audio to at least hear both channels with one ear. So my question, what does mono sound like in headphones with 2 good ears? Is it somehow flatter or just less satisfying overall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaibat
Aug 21, 2008

Ofecks posted:

I finally sat down to do this. Installed Audacity, and mechanically, the process was easy. It's been a long time since I've used this app, and the last time I did, I had to download extra plug-ins for format support. No more of that, looks like everything is built-in now. It went something like this:

• File -> Import Audio -> <audio file>
  • Tracks -> Mix -> Mix Stereo Down to Mono
  • Tracks -> Add New -> Stereo Track
  • Double-click the mono track to select all, copy/paste into the new stereo track
  • Delete the mono track
  • File -> Export -> Export Audio (I chose 24-bit FLAC); edit tags to denote new version
  • File -> Close, do not save
  • Repeat for each song on album

Hey, thanks for taking the effort for my dumb question! If you feel like it, look for ‘ease of access’ in Windows. I think there’s an option to enable mono audio under ‘hearing’

chaibat
Aug 21, 2008

Ofecks posted:

Woa, so there is! Thank you! This is certainly a lot easier than the Audacity process. Unfortunately, much like the former, this way also noticeably impacts the fidelity in a negative way. It sounds identical to the "squished" version of the album I made. I guess that's just the way it is.

That’s disappointing, but thanks for running the experiment. I guess one sided deafness is a rareish edge case for headphone usage? I would think there’s a lot of people who’d like to have stereo sound using only one earbud though.