Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm still a little behind, has anyone used Ben Grimm 2.0 for anything since Doomsday?
I'd love to see an FF relaunch with him leading and Jessica Drew filling in the fourth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

How about Mjolner looking like the 616 one for no reason and Thor loving talking in the Shakespeareian style for no reason.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If you don't want to go as far back as Millar's run, Ultimate Doomsday and Ultimate Hawkeye are the most important for understanding Hickman's run.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

USM is and always has been his baby, though. I'm sure that makes a difference, as opposed to "Here, you're on this one now"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yep

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

ConfusedUs posted:

Hey, what do you know, they went back to the original numbering for the series.

I didn't expect that.

Yeah it was kind of confusing. Especially since they go back to #1 when Morales takes over.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They're probably all going to die/never ever get mentioned again after two issues anyways.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I could see Miles quitting, then jumping ahead a few years when we have multiple Spider-Men running around, only to have Miles have to jump back in because of destiny etc etc

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I just read the newer Iron Man series and I'm a bit confused by the end. Was that supposed to be Howard Stark still alive, or Howard Stark Sr and it's actually leading in to Armor Wars?, or is it just some unknown person right now

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

UA is hit and miss but mostly good, it's just nowhere near as good as 1 and 2 and I think people were just so turned off by Ultimatum that we all swore the UltimateU off for a bit.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

He got taken in during the raid on the tunnels, was tortured and released, that's been about it.
Sue's been showing up in Ultimates more and it looks like Reed's going to be the villain again coming up, so I'm hoping Ben and Johnny show up for that.

And I still hold out hope for a UFF v2 with SpiderWoman filling in the last spot

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Endless Mike posted:

What's Ultimatum? Nothing called that was published.

Everyone died. Don't worry about it, you're better off not knowing.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Dacap posted:

I'd check out that Ultimate Hawkeye mini where the Jean stuff happened, it was actually really good.

Hawkeye's good for the China stuff, but you need to read Ultimate X for the backstory on Jean and everyone else there, and that's a Loeb.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kaleidoscope posted:

Whether or not it would've worked who would want that? Does anyone want to read "Ultimate Comics: Fantastic Four"?

I want to see Reed be the new Doom. I want him to be the smartest guy on Earth who will fix it no matter who tries to stop him. That's more interesting than teen-genius who ignores his genius girlfriend and suicidal best friend. It's certainly better than repentant Reed saves the world with his ex and his best friend, her fiancé.

Reed is defined by his obsession and his resolve not to compromise. Let's not change that.

I want both. I want UC:FF, with Sue, Ben, Johnny and Jessica Drew, and Reed to get his rear end beat and go to his best bet for tech to get revenge with, Latveria, where he becomes the new Doom.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's not like every other building in the Ultimate Universe isn't exploding all the time. The Triskelion is probably one of the least explodable ones, really.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

coconono posted:

Spencer's run felt like a bunch of one shots. Then 13 drops and poo poo goes bananas.

Are they going to kill the Ultimate Comics universe at some point? I mean they've wiped out Europe, part of Asia and USA has completely balkanized.

That's was what Ultimatum was supposed to be, but then they changed direction

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They should have two books; USM as is, then a second general books, like a Tales from the Ultimates one. Run an Ultimates storyline for a few weeks, then an FF, a Hawkeye issue or two, etc

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

616-Reed or Doom would loving destroy him without breaking a sweat. Hell, I would love to see that happen. And have Hickman write it.

That'd be great, play it out with this huge build up and bunch of crossovers then have the whole fight being 616 Reed pushing a button and that's it

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ellis has done a bunch of stuff in the UU but I don't think he's written more than 4 consecutive issues on a given title. He did a bit of UFF, Armor Wars and I think the new Iron Man mini, and the Gah Lak Tus stuff

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

SirDan3k posted:

If the speculated "Miles comes to the 616 and beats Doc SpOck" comes true the first thing Doc Ock is going to do for his "badass" comeback is kill Miles off panel/in one page and leave him strung up and bloody for Peter to find, you can :toxx: me on that.

Miles kills Spock, becomes 616 Spider-Man

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Waterhaul posted:

Then Peter comes back, Miles becomes Spider-Boy, gets new renamed series with new creative team, series is cancelled before it reaches double digits, Miles fades into obscurity, is brought back for an event/young teen heroes team book which lasts less issues than his own series, is killed off in a mini event 2-3 years later.

Parker tries to time travel to save Aunt May and messes up the timeline. He's Spider-Man again and Miles does not exist. Spiderpoint Zero

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Skwirl posted:

with the disembodied brain of Tony Stark instead of Reed.

:colbert: No. Jessica Drew. And Reed will be the new Doom, and it'll be great, and we'll all live happily ever after

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's a pretty simple Logic vs Emotion thing.

Speaking of that though, how does Ultimate Nathaniel fit in with that whole storyline? Obviously he wasn't pulled anywhere, is that just "Eh, comics" or is there an explanation somewhere?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Deadpool posted:

There was no Ultimate Nathaniel. His dad was a different person. And an enormous rear end in a top hat.

Right. I read UFF a while ago, forgot his dad was named Gary. That makes more sense

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There's no way that Nathaniel Essex is a common enough name that they would use it for two different, unrelated characters.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

This is like the third version of him. The first was the crazy serial killer who pushed Xavier down the stairs. The second in Kirkman's run and is sanish as there is an Apocalypse. This is a third and with Bendis you never know as he likes loving with people with character's names.

I guess I mean unrelated more than that different there. If he's not the same one surely he either has something to do with Sinister or at the very least Bendis wants us to think he does

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Indie Rocktopus posted:

I wonder if they'd consider bringing over Ultimate Spider-Woman as well as Miles. "Embittered female clone of Peter Parker with his memories" is high-concept enough to work, especially if you keep the parallel universe stuff in the background, and play up the alienation iofknowing you're a damaged copy of a beloved superhero. I haven't read a ton of either character, but as I understand it both Superboy and the recent Scarlett Spider series have gotten some mileage out of similar set-ups.

Especially if Bendis wrote her, this might be a way for Marvel to finally get a financially successful continuing "Spider-Girl" series.

It'd be pretty cool to team her up with Kaine

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mister Roboto posted:

So Ultimates 20.

Can we at least use spoiler tags the day an issue comes out? Unless you actually meant 20 and I'm forgetting something

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Senjuro posted:

I could at least understand why Bendis did it if he really wanted to do something truly different with Spider-Man afterwards but Miles ended up being almost exactly the same character as Peter just less of a nerd so I'm really wondering what was the point of it all. Just one big publicly stunt?

Aside from being less nerdy he's also a visible minority headlining his own title, so that would be a big part of it. Plus you get those little moments in all the books where you see the influence Peter's death had on everyone

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If nothing else DOSM is good for the fact that he hasn't and 99% never will come back. That's a major comics event right there

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lurdiak posted:

Putting aside the still-unfounded rumors of the line completely ending, I think it's pretty clear that Osborn wasn't dead at the end of Death of Spider-man and that someday Miles will have to slay the dragon Peter couldn't. It's pretty much the most fitting thing for a successor to do.

I think Venom can and has filled that role much better

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Earth gets destroyed; Miles, Ganke, Gwen and whoever hop on a ship and become the Ultimate GotG

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Woosh

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

coconono posted:

Also where the gently caress are the Infinity Gems?

They disintegrated

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Medium Cool posted:

So does anyone sell me on Miles as spider-man or should I just follow my instincts and drop ultimate spider-man after the death of spidey? I just caught up and I've read a bit of the miles stuff but it's just a younger peter parker. I'm really not interested. It feels like a step back in the title. All the supporting character I cared about were pretty much unceremoniously dropped for this new guy I'm just not all that interested in. Maybe I'm just too hung up on peter. Does it get better past the first couple of issues?

Keep going for a bit. Those supporting characters haven't been dropped as much as you'd think

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

We at least need Superior Spider-Men first

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh my god, Fialkov doing UFF! Hell yes

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

It also sounds like Reed is either going to be forced to be on FF or is going to be a huge pain in their asses. I also wonder where Thing is going to end up.

My dream is still Ben, Sue, Johnny, and Jessica with Reed as their Dr.Doom, but I'll take what I can get

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My guess is Cap dies saving the world and Thor flies off to start New Asgard and retires. I doubt they'll try another ultimatum in case they ever want to use those characters again. Same with the mutants, they'll probably just go live in peace somewhere and only show up when they need to crossover with a main series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ultimate has pretty much always been about big events, and Spider-Man and X-Men have both had pretty long runs without any major, world shaking events happening

• Locked thread