Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Did anything ever come about because of MJ's exposure to Oz? It seems like they were going to do something with it but it pretty quickly got dropped and never got any closure in USM. I know that Reed says he got rid of it BUT that's what everyone says about Norman/Harry and it never seemed to work with them. Also there was that one scene right after Kitty starts going to Peter's school where it looked like she was changing again.

That and the Gwen/Carnage line really dropped the loving ball on some interesting developments from the Clone Saga (and in a lesser way, Spider-Woman and Scorpion). But I guess we can't have our damsels in distress if they are capable of ripping people's guts out with their bare hands. It just comes across as some lovely WHAT A TWIST! to sell some extra numbers of the next issue and is then completely ignored/swept under a rug as quickly as possible.

It feels like half of the plotlines and hooks started getting ignored around then and for a lot of issues up to where we are now. Which is weird because it's not like there's been a bunch of other writers kidnapping or dropping storylines. Is it a Bendis thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The whole period roughly between the end of the Clone Saga, Aunt Mays house for gifted youngesters, Ultimatum/Requiem and what came after is really weird plotting wise on a reread (and I can't for the life keep those 60 or so isses straight in my head, especially not with the rebranding of the comic for a couple of issues).

It's barely the same universe in feel during those jumps, every 20 or so issues and it's not all due to switching out artists either. The first 100 or so isses felt rather coherent, with just a few loose ends and a new world building/big picture feel behind it all but then it all goes rather trippy. Peter dying twice doesn't help.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Guess multi-person efforts are bound to go off the rails eventually, but even Bendis on his own is capable of that.

I guess it's when the world and characters have been established, it comes down to the normal rut of random "villain of the week" / arc stuff that you could just as well find in 616.

It's not like USM is the only long running series (Hell, not the only Spider-Man series) that's fallen victim to that. Establish cool hook, run a couple of supporting arcs, beat the big bad / original conspiracy > Now what? Either quit while the going is good or turn it into the usual serialized fair.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Reading issue 9 of the recent Ultimate Spiderman series I remembered another dropped plot thread:

The Scorpion. The first one. Remember him? No?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Thinking he'd show up again before Peter actually died. I mean, SHIELD have let the Sinister Six out like twice AND Carnage.
Were they keeping him at the Baxter Building? Maybe Reed is just better at security... (or keeps a backup generator around).

Still weird for everyone involved (in character) to just ignore that guy though. There was what, 50-70 issues before Peter got shot? In comic book terms that's an eternity.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 10, 2012

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Could be an episode of the Venture Bros.

Just replace / add screaming burning man with screaming Scorpion dude.

Switch to Peter at school going "Did I forget something... ? Nah!"

But now that I think about it, Miles running into that guy would be pretty great mindfuckery.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 10, 2012

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I've been catching up on some ultimate stuff lately and just got the big battle in USM.

It's not just my mind playing tricks here or have Spider-Woman been huffing some of that Giant Woman serum/Pym Particles? I get it that Miles is supposed to be a short kid, but look at all those SHIELD agents. She gotta be like 7 feet in those first two panels before deflating :v:

And the cross-over really screwed the pooch with the pacing, Miles really didn't have any business going to a fight like that (and why they insist on pairing him up with the President for his training lessons as Spider-man I have no idea).

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Mr Deliciousman posted:

She signs up with SHIELD at the end of Ultimate Doomsday (which she's in a fair bit), but after that and the time she got gassed she's not really in Ultimates at all, which always seemed like a waste to me. I'd have figured she could be in that line-up for the new Howling Commandos but I guess the writers didn't want to use her or her USM appearances mean she's not available over there?

While I like U Spider-Woman, they've really gone nowhere with her and wasted most of the fresh-steam she had when introduced.

Her interaction around the House of Spiderfriends arc was kinda interesting, but went nowhere and then she's tossed on the SHIELD train (because that's... necessary?) which felt rushed & not well established. Since then she's... kinda done nothing "SHIELD"-y other than serve as an excuse to deliver hi-tech Spider gear to Miles, with the occasional pep-talk/training stuff. That and the weird cross-over with the big battle.

Very aimless :iiam:

Would have way prefered seeing the "Enemy of SHIELD & All the baddies"-arc, that was kinda hinted at after the Clone Arc, explored, instead of dropping off the face of the Earth to do "Her Own Thing" (smack random minor villains around) until the SHIELD thing.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 30, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

So it's not just me that finds 616 Spider-Woman to be completely characterless? I was starting to wonder.

I can't remember a single thing she's done in the last 10 years of Summer Blockbuster stories, or the Avengers between that (do you count the Skrull Queen as something *she* did?).

She's just kinda... there, in the background, making some snarky comment, maybe :geno:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Honestly I don't really see what would be gained by booting them over to 616 and presumably getting rid of 99% of their own cast/foes in the process. 616 is crowded as it is with Spider-people and yeah, they'd be killed off within the decade.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Maybe it's just me but Bendis got some weird pacing. Just got around to reading the issue and drat, that was some lazy exposition right there. "Let's just repeat this page 3 times and have our big bad splurge out all the backstory", followed by "and let's wrap this up".

Considering how long Roxxon have been hovering in the background the take-down felt a wee bit on the easy side, you'd think they'd have better security than "Uh, call up the lab guys and hope they can arrive in 5 minutes".

So no, not really feeling the issue. Should have more of a climax, what with being the end of the first chapter. Miles really got poo poo for villains too, considering it's been 28 issues.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I could do without Jessica gushing about how amazing Miles is every time he's mentioned/shows up. Gotta be the... 4th? 5th time?

Seems... out of character (we all know what's really going on, Bendis, stop circle-jerking yourself / your own pet character).

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Doesn't help with the sense of age that every other artist draws Jessica as a 6+ feet super model.

The "Amazing" dialogue always comes across as... Bendis writing fan-fiction, fan-fiction of his own work :psyduck:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Thing is I don't think there are all that many other characters (than his "support crew") that even bother to comment on Miles. One way or the other.

I guess dropping Miles into that big fisticuffs with the Ultimates(?) was supposed to plant him as some sort of accidental hero/big name and maybe get him some cred... but I don't really get the vibe that anyone knows/or cares outside of street cops and some civilians.

How many big name villains has he taken down, by the way? Not meaning guys like the Scorpion (well, the second(?) scorpion) and Taskmaster. Bonus fame points if it was infront of media (like that Doc Ock fight waaaay back with original Peter)

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 16, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Completely forgotten about Rhino. Guess he's kinda big.

Not too impressed with Miles own all-new-rogues though, need more Dr Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (the answer to all Spider-man villains).

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

All the relaunches just makes the stories lose all momentum, endless loops of introductio arc -> EVENT -> Relaunch cycle.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The long running Ultimate series has been better about it yeah, but now it's starting to creep into USM. Not exactly looking at years inbetween Miles-Spidey getting roped into some event.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Deadpool posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man 46 is the prelude to Ultimate Six. The 1/2 issue comes in somewhere around USM 40-45, Annual 1 comes after USM 85, Annual 2 comes after USM 105, Annual 3 comes after USM 120, and the two Requiem issues come after USM 133. Then you've got Ultimate Comics Spider-Man v1 1-15, then 150-160. Followed by Ultimate Fallout and then onto Ultimate Comics Spider-Man v2.

The whole Ultimate Spider-Man -> Ultimate Comics Spider-man! -> Ultimate Spider-Man -> Ultimate Comics Spider-Man again! is the most confusing bullshit, and I was along for the ride too :psyduck:

Closely followed by the whole 3(?) different Ultimate Mystery/Doom/Toiletflush miniseries naming.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

rkajdi posted:

I expect to see the book cancelled once he stops writing it. The only reason I think it still going now (love the book, but the sales are poo poo) is because of him.

Soon, soon Skyman will have his triumf over Ultimate Spider-Man :colbert:

This can't be right, can it? :stare:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

rkajdi posted:

The last issue I could find numbers on was #28 (October 2013), which was 85th on the sales charts with 31K circulation-- that's in the same area as the fan-fav X-Factor which has a relaunch circling the drain. I thought both were decent books, but neither sells well anymore. The only reason to keep try to make the corpse walk is as a favor to someone. The only name creator involved anymore is Bendis, so he's the best guess.

FAKE EDIT: I guess the latest issue might be considered to be Cataclysm: Ultimate Spider-Man #2, which was #66 with 30K sales. The industry as a whole is doing horribly, and the Ultimate line doesn't seem to have much popularity anymore.

I was checking this site which had Marvel Universe Ultimate Spider-Man #22 at 4,761 copies sold (to north american comic shops).
http://comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2014/2014-01.html

And the way Bendis sticks his pet characters into the Avengers and the like I think he actually wants to be writing those big events, he's just not very good at it.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah they wouldn't bother with renumbering if they didn't want that sweet sweet (imagined) #1 boost.

It's like they looked at the statistics of say, the first 1-100 run and noted that trend, drawing the obvious conclusion that the low-numbered issues sell more because they are low-numbered :downs:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

It's like they want to stick Loeb somewhere not important and preferably keep him there.

e: and the Black Widow thing is probably to cash in on the movies (no, it won't work).

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 9, 2014

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I actually liked it! The art threw me off because of how used I was to UCSM's style but it wasn't bad. Jessica changing herself to Black Widow while still trying to claim SHIELD status seemed odd for her but the rest of the cast was ok.

Story reminds me of early, early TMNT.

Only way I can see myself dropping it is if UCSM continues to use the full cast but let me be honest. I followed Ultimate Comics X-Men for a year, it's going to take A LOT for me to stop getting this.

Spider-Woman being a SHIELD agent and/or (not)Avenger gotta be one of those Bendis Commandments by now, right? :v:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Just waiting for the Hot Springs and Festival episodes for it to really kick-off now :nyoron:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Soon every #1 will be followed by another #1, sales statistics having finally proven that other numbers are inferior and unnecessary.

• Locked thread