Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Dacap posted:

Named Sam

I'm already feeling inspired by his plucky determination and wisdom beyond his years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

SpeedofLife posted:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=12631

Spider-Men preview

Why is 616 Spider-Man being antagonized by the Cops? Isn't he an Avenger? Hasn't he been a hero now for 15 years or whatever it is now?

Yeah but it's still the standard trope. It's been addressed before as most cops knowing they can't stop him and don't really want to but need to be able to go "We tried sarge/captain/DA/Angry ex-publisher mayor but he got away." when they get asked.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I've kept up with the new spider-man basicaly by reading BSS sadly Miles garners the same illogical gut reaction as Ben Riley of "Not MY spider-man!" if the trend continues I'll pick up most of his issues from half off long boxes and start liking him.

The funeral issue for Peter was probably worth it just to see the emotional fallout from the mandatory alternate universe Peter Parker death. That little girl part was like a punch in the soul for me and got me thinking about how many regular people Peter probably saved off camera, we get the highlight reels not the day to day grind.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Mister Roboto posted:

I guess you could say they were both terrible people all along.

A label that can be applied to almost all the ultimate universe, they have a tendency to take the flaws of 616 heroes and crank the dial to 11.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

LightsGameraAction posted:

EDIT: Straight up out-thinking Reed wouldn't have worked since he's advanced about 1000 years ahead of anyone else, out-thinking him by realizing that because of how advanced he is he thinks he holds all the marbles, and has forgotten that chaos is a fundamental mechanic of life is great.

That's a good point Reed had spent a thousand years controlling all the variables in his little experiment and had practically forgotten that he could be surprised.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Soonmot posted:

drat, spider powers and uncles just don't mix!

The littler letter blurb "Bet nobody saw that coming!" had to be tongue in cheek right?

Spiderman's uncle dying is never a surprise.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Kaleidoscope posted:

I don't really think it's racism by the people who were miffed by the changes as much as comic purists. Thread was originally meant to be a [poor] joke.

No there was a shitload of racism that was followed by "I'm not racist it's just because of continuity" after people got called on it.

Even now when it gets brought up by some angry pod-caster or blogger it's pretty much "I'm not a racist, I've got black friends but NICK FURY ISN'T BLACK!"

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Well it was the nature of the beast to take more risks sadly the ultimate universe is not allowed the level of continuity fluidity to ignore the many risks that didn't pay off.

I do confess I hold Loeb largely responsible for the current mess. He hopped onto a surefire property (which if you pay attention he always seems to do) and ran things into the ground.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

rugbert posted:

You know what would be great? Regular appearances from 616 Peter to train Miles how to be a super hero instead of douche bag Ultimate Captain America.

But that could steal the thunder from the sure fire break out character of the year Alpha!

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I think the gold is a red herring. It's obviously asgardian gold but asgard recently got decimated so that would leave an easy opportunity for somebody to pillage it's ruins.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Micgael posted:

I feel like Tony would need to one up himself before gloating.

Ultimate Tony opens the window before flying away.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It's obviously a trick using the mind gem which means the artist gets to do whatever they want and get it hand waved away.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I doubt it. They'll push through a few faltering titles for NOW but the ultimite line suffers sales wise form the same thing most people here like about it, it's very different from the current marvel universe.

It did it's best numbers when it was just retelling old stories with a twist the further it strayed the worse the numbers got. Now thanks to Loeb sweeping all the pieces from the board it's too alien for most people to get into.

I think the Ultimate line is turning out to be proof that sticking with bad decisions just for the sake of maintaining continuity is a mistake.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

thet0wer posted:

They explicitly state that it's (Ultimate) Nick Fury in his 616 Nick Fury disguise (which was first used in Ultimate Doomsday)

Look we can't be bothered to read the books we hate, we're nerds.

And they don't confirm it was Ultimate Nick Fury just that it's one of his disguises that are supposed to be genetically locked to him but since the traitor is moving shield tech it's basically a guaranteed red herring.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I can't remember if they did anything with SPider-Woman and Aunt May after peter's death.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Vision was a robot with boobs all you need is an impact wrench to fix that and the rest died in ultimatum.

loving everybody died in ultimatum.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Dacap posted:

Also there's the idea that USM is leading to having multiple people being powered by the Oscorp Spiders which is pretty much the opposite of mystical pre-destiny.

Just cause it's your mystical pre-destiny doesn't mean it's not five other people's mystical pre-destiny.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Kaleidoscope posted:

K. But by that logic wouldn't Miles then be the back-up?

Hey man once your main hard drive fails and you end up using your back up you need another backup or maybe more.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I hope his parents/shield/whoever just puts the loving hammer down on his 13 year old rear end and says "not until you're eighteen."

Every-time Bendis finds some reason for everybody to give Miles a pass on that when the last Spider-Man died before he hit seventeen feels like because the story says so bullshit.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Did the Ultimate line even release digitally for those? I honestly can't remember, which is a sign most people probably didn't know about it if it did. If a guy who reads BSS didn't know about it who the hell did?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I hope they do something with the city but I'm sure whoever gets tired of it will simply go "to evolve further we must leave this planet also we went ahead and left things as they were before we took over, later shitlords"

They'll just never mention it again like with that other city of hyper advanced beings.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

DynamicSloth posted:

:eng101: Opposite sex twins do not have the same DNA. Identical (as opposed to fraternal) twins are the only ones that are equivalent to clones.

It's not much of a clone if it's got a whole chromosome wrong.

Eh it's astronomically rare but you can end up with "identical" opposite sex twins. One of the twins loses their Y chromosome and ends up with X chromosome Monosomy/turner's syndrome. Drew is a comic writer "a quick google search says that can happen no time for further research off we go!" version of that.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Well we know they are going to have ongoing but have they said the comics are going to print? I figure the lagging Ultimate universe might end up a proving grounds for a digital only release, or maybe digital and a very limited print run test.

Of course it might just be a run of the mill event to drive up sales.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Serious Frolicking posted:

If Miles was in the 616, all the stuff about how there needed to be a Spiderman would become meaningless. There are already a bunch of them running around, after all.

It's no use arguing some people just want to watch a character languish in obscurity and get killed for a body count bump as long as it can be "in canon".

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

WickedHate posted:

If Miles comes to 616, it'll be a race to being killed in an event, by a new villain, or showing up in Avengers Arena volume two.

If the speculated "Miles comes to the 616 and beats Doc SpOck" comes true the first thing Doc Ock is going to do for his "badass" comeback is kill Miles off panel/in one page and leave him strung up and bloody for Peter to find, you can :toxx: me on that.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I'd rather him die with his universe then watch him get strung along with none of the things that made him a good character left.

Anyway as disconnected from the rest of the line Bendis writes Ult. Spiderman all Hunger ending the Ult. Universe means is when he gets tired of it five years from now we know how he ends the series.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It's easy to see where the dude is coming from you want to write a story and let it speak for itself but people won't stop bugging you to confirm or deny how they think it's going to end. If you don't say anything people take it as confirmation but if you deny it you rob your story of tension. That poo poo has got to get to you eventually.

While speculation and spoilers long predate the internet readers and writers have much more access to each other now then ever before. Gone are the days where you just stop opening mail and relax you are now expected to play PR guy all the time. One outburst doesn't an rear end in a top hat make.

I'm pretty frustrated by the rumor because it'd be mind numbingly stupid, like DC editorial "gently caress you I'ma break everything!" level stupid, to kill Ultimate Spider-man when it still moves the numbers and gets the critical acclaim it does.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Teenage Fansub posted:

I bet the intention is to carry the book over and blam the rest, seeing as it's the one well regarded thing in the place.

Nobody has been able to give a good reason why they would bother carrying Miles over into the 616 and stripping him of almost his entire supporting cast. The Mayday Parker Spider-Girl was the only comic set in MU2 or whatever it was called for years by virtue of fan support, Ult. Spider-man has fan, critic and finical support.

I mean Loeb's not ghost writing the event is he?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

You have a very limited view of consciousness and individuality.

It was one of my favorite things about the Peter Ultimate Spider-Man run. No "but she's a clone!" BS just a group of people happy to have a loved one back.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

DFu4ever posted:

Pretty much everyone here has read enough comics to realize that nothing is too ridiculous in this industry.

The strange thing is that people seem so excited at the idea. All bringing Miles to the 616 does is strip him of his supporting cast and set him up to die to prove what ever villain gets revamped or resurrected next is a threat. "Now I'll do the same to the REAL Spider-Man!" yadda yadda yadda.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I didn't see a whole lot get undone except re-powering Thor with Reed's future tech and Ult. Tony resurrecting himself with the gems the first chance he got which was very in character. Hell most of what Reed did was beneficial and didn't get undone.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Is everybody mixing up Infinity and Hunger? Because I don't really see the connection between this and Infinity aside from trying and failing to use the Infinity Gems while the connection to Hunger is pretty spelled out.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Sigma posted:

This arc of Ultimates ends with a mad woman trying to get ahold of the Infinity Gems to save the world from the events of the future, as well as showing a side dimension where everything has been destoryed. Both of those things are plot points directly out of Hickman's run on Avengers.

Also, it hints at the collapse of the multiverse, which is what brought Galactus to the UU in the first place.

Basically, Sue Storm of the future saw an incursion that destroyed everything, and traveled back in time to help the creation of the infinity gems in order to stop that from happening.

See I saw it as an obvious set up for Hunger's Super Galactus, not an incursion, destroying the universe. Devourer of Worlds elevated to Devourer of Universes.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Rick Jones isn't in the Ultimate Universe anymore and sun eater Galactus is probably weakened to regular strength Galactus making the "Ultimate Line is ENDING!" doom saying even more likely to be wrong.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Waterhaul posted:

That was kind of obvious once they announced that Bendis/Bagley was doing Cataclysm but I was at least hoping that Fialkov would get to do at least something interesting with the book. Even keeping Super Galactus would've been a fun addition.

I've had a think about it and I believe the point of hunger was actually to nerf Galactus for the Ultimate Earth, which is down most of it's heavy hitters and wouldn't be able to convincingly give a non-wounded Galactus a fight.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

DFu4ever posted:

It wouldn't be the first time someone has expressed strong opinions on this forum about something they never actually read/watched.

In comic book discussion? I find that suggestion highly improbable.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Technically Jessica is like three or four.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

coconono posted:

Well they did blow up Jean's Final Fantasy island. The least they could do is let her sleep on the couch for a few weeks.

Is that what happened with that storyline? What a waste. We could have this awesome floating island that's it's own nation but nah we'll stick to this shithole in the dessert that still belongs to America no matter how much 8th grade level understanding of micro-nations we throw at it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I gonna get so mad about comic books if Ultimate Spidey actually ends. Double mad if Miles gets thrown into the 616 woodchipper of teen heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

That was from ten months ago, a lot of stuff can change in ten months.

• Locked thread