Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
Yeah, agreed. It's been a while since I got really hooked by a new power metal band, but I'm really digging this. Reminds me a bit of a ballsier Jag Panzer.

edit: ah, Harry Conklin is the vocalist for Satan's Host. That's probably where I'm getting those vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

The Perfect Element posted:

I'd post my last.fm thing, but a lot of it's dictated by basically the bands that I've listened to the longest, so there's a disproportionate amount of Opeth, Enslaved and Katatonia compared to everything else, even though I'm not that into any of them these days.

Yeah same here. My Last 12 Months chart is pretty different from my Overall chart. Gonna post anyway though because I may have claim to the worst overall chart of any poster in the thread. This is since March of 2005.

Anyway I saw Kamelot in Toronto last night. Anyone who is wondering about how they are with Fabio probably won't be disappointed, he fits great with the band.

Also based on the interaction he had with the crowd before their set started, I think the Alestorm frontman might be a little weirded out by the band's fanbase.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

I wish I could grow a neckbeard so I could go to that show

I don't know what the general consensus on Enslaved's most recent albums is, but I caught Giants on an online radio station a while back and after listening to the whole of Axioma Ethica Odini, I'm really enjoying it. Aside from moving backwards through their catalogue, what else should I check out for what I guess is basically prog metal played to sound like watered down black metal? Feel free to tell me this album is actually poo poo and I should listen to anything else instead.

Velocirocktor fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 12, 2011

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

lordblytzkrieg posted:

KORPIKLANNI, ARKONA, POLKADOT CADAVER, FORGED IN FLAMES

Nov 24 Toronto @ Mod Club (no ARKONA)

Weak. Still gonna go though because a Korpiklaani gig is a great time.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

I don't think a lot of the people who disliked Crack the Skye have bothered commenting on the new one. I really dig it, personally. I think it's a fun record. Nothing particularly amazing or inventive but I keep wanting to go back and listening to different songs. But then I'm a big lover of this stoner/sludge-influenced pop-metal for whatever reason.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Very mixed feelings over Road Salt Two :(

Really? I know this is probably the wrong thread for it since it's not even slightly metal, but I adore this album. It's got such a joyous sound, I can't remember the last time I could hear how much the band loves making the music so clearly. It's got a few weaker moments but I think it's a lot more consistent than Road Salt One. Daniel sounds amazing, and Leo Margarit is quickly becoming one of my favourite drummers. They're clearly in a completely different place than when they were making albums like Remedy Lane but you'll hear no complaints from me.

The Lou Reed + Metallica thing is one of the most jarringly unpleasant songs I've heard in a while. It sounds like at least three completely different songs at different tempos being forced together, and not in the interesting way that Zappa used to do it.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Holy Grail and White Wizzard are pretty solid live bands. The singer from Holy Grail told one of my favourite lovely metal jokes I've ever heard when the guitarist was fixing a string or something.

What do metalheads and Jews have in common? They both prefer the Old Testament

I find a lot of those bands are a lot of fun to see live but I can never really listen to more than a song or two on record before I get bored. I saw Cauldron at a small pub here on Friday and they were great but I just can't listen to them at home. Ditto for Holy Grail opening for Blind Guardian last year, great show, but I get three songs into their album and I'm not paying attention anymore.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

I think Nicko's still got a few years left in him judging from the energy he seems to have whenever I've seen them live or in clips in the last few years. They all seem to take pretty decent care of themselves in that band.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

I'll listen to a derivative band for the same reasons I'll listen to a band's album that sounds like a continuation of the previous album: 20 songs I like is better than 10.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Iron Maiden and Alice Cooper at one show is the most effective pro-elderly event I can think of

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

vanov posted:

Since Japanese metal was brought up, my experience in that area is exactly nil and I could use this thread's help with some recommendations!

I don't know if people like to consider them metal but I'm partial to Boris myself. I imagine most people into heavy music can find at least an album or two of theirs to enjoy. Here's a couple of my favourite tracks:

Aileron
Pink
Wareruride

Also I want to throw my support behind the Intronaut love. See them live if you can, their sound was so heavy it made the air thicker.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Opeth has been playing soft stuff for the first part and then a couple heavy tunes for the encore. When I saw them it was The Grand Conjuration and Deliverance. I know they played Demon of the Fall at at least one of the shows on this tour as well. Mike's growls sounded real good, too.

Re: the new Gojira song, I've only listened to it twice but I'm not as excited about it as everyone else seems to be. It just feels like the energy isn't quite there, like Gojira on mild sedatives. I'm looking forward to hearing it in context with the rest of the album, but it didn't hit me like Vacuity did when it was released, or Backbone when I first heard the band shortly after From Mars to Sirius came out.

I only talk about overhyped popular metal bands.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Nah, that review is the really lovely kind of immaturity that people should grow out of by the time they leave high school. Treating women like poo poo isn't fun and dismissing people who call that out for the bullshit it is as "taking it too seriously" is one of the reasons so many people think it's fine to treat women like poo poo as long as they're being a bit flip about it.

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Turisas and Finntroll both just started working on their new albums. Apparently, Moonsorrow will have something out, this year, as well. Meadbangers rejoice?

They should try to make this the next Paganfest if the timing works out. Then I could get a good portion of my terrible neckbeard metal needs out of the way all in one show.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I've never really understood the great appeal of "moshing". I mean, it wasn't even really a metal thing to begin with. Why it has ever gone beyond the original hardcore punk scene surprises me? I can see bands on stage getting a rise out of it seeing a whirlpool fans just reacting to their performance, but as a fan, what in the hell makes you want to roll around with a bunch of sweaty dudes? Hardcore dancing? It's lame and you look like a gay power ranger doing it. You say that you've got all this pent up negative energy you need to release? Get laid or go run around the block 5 times. Most of the meatheads I've seen "moshing" at shows don't look like they would even know who's playing on the stage. They're just there to get their "mosh" on. Maybe it just proves to be a good opportunity to grope other sweaty guys.

I like to knock around with other people while loud music I like plays. Fighting is too needlessly aggressive, tackle football is too dangerous, and sex is too intimate, so moshing fits in a nice spot. It's just a thing I enjoy. I don't think I can.

Some cool homophobia in there though. TOUCHING DUDES? LOL GAY go sex a lady instead you gays.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

I've gladly shelled out hundreds of dollars over the course of 4 Maiden shows and it's easily been worth it. I simply can't justify it again this time because I hate the Molson Amphitheatre too much and my work hours have been cut back (hooray for austerity budgets), but I'm still super bummed I can't go. Alice Cooper, too :(

On another note, I don't know how well the album was received by folks in these threads but I've been digging Shining's Blackjazz a lot lately. Is there anything else out there like it? I've been listening to Ephel Duath as well and they hit some of the same notes, and I'm going to look into Fantomas soon. I'm not so concerned with the sax craziness (though I wouldn't mind it) as I am with the general completely bananas nature of the music.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Trees and Squids posted:

I can't really provide anything similar to Blackjazz, but I just want to echo that it is loving awesome. I found it thanks to Ihsahn's After (On The Shores struck me in particular), Jørgen Munkeby is an awesome saxophonist, Shining and his work with Ihsahn is absolutely nuts.

As for completely bananas music, I can't really say I like them, but there's always Unexpect.

Good call on Ihsahn, I hadn't heard anything after angL. Not as out there as Blackjazz but it's real good so I'm not complaining. I know Unexpect, I do not care for Unexpect.

Stoat posted:

Dead Letters from the new Katatonia album is on Youtube (legally).

It's less doomy and slow than their older stuff, but I think it's great. It's more progressive metal which is nice!

This is really good too. Description says it's one of the heavier and proggier songs on the album so it sounds like this will be a heck of a follow up to Night is the New Day, which was also really good.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Definitely going to hit the Toronto show if the ticket prices aren't too steep. I've loved every one of those bands live, all of them together on one bill is going to be fun as hell.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Yeah, Versus the World. Though given how much you love Twilight of The Thunder God and With Oden On Our Side you'll probably like Fate of Norns as well.

Anyone who cares about power metal might be interested to know that Kamelot has officially named Tommy Karevik of Seventh Wonder as their new vocalist. I think he was one of the guys who filled in for Khan at festivals. I think it'll be a good fit, Fabio Lione was a great choice for the tours and I figure they know what they're doing.

edit:

SgtScruffy posted:

Also, how is Alice Cooper these days? Does he still do the ridiculous over-the-top stage show that he used to do, or did that end in the 80s?

loving incredible. I've seen him four times in the last 6 years or so and it's always one of the best shows I see in any given year. The stage shows are still ridiculous, full of magic tricks and skits and stuff, and the dude sounds great. He's got to be one of the greatest showmen in the history of rock music.

Velocirocktor fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 22, 2012

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

nuncle jimbo posted:

wait what are they going backwards? why?

They did the same thing when they played the Black Album all the way through, Lars said some mess about starting with lesser known songs from the end and ending the show with the ones everyone knows. I imagine with Ride they thought "well, why not do it again?"

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Yeah, I enjoyed a handful of tracks off of Formation of Damnation but wow is that song a step up. Dark Roots of the Earth wasn't really on my radar before hearing that but I am definitely excited for it now.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Great Horny Toads! posted:

No Canadian dates. Phooey.

I don't know if it helps you or not but they've updated that to include a date on August 15th in Hamilton. Which is fuckin' crazy because nobody interesting ever comes to Hamilton with Toronto right there across the lake. They're also playing at an old movie theatre which, unless they've renovated it, still has a bunch of old bench seats, which could be interesting.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

A small website I occasionally write for just put out a compilation of tracks from a bunch of independent bands that have sent us promos. Everything in there has permission from the artists/labels to be distributed. There's a wide variety of stuff in here, so check it out and see if you like any of it.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Redemption, Pretty Maids, Primordial, and Mystic Prophecy are all pretty cool, though I'm unfamiliar with everyone else. Primordial seems a bit out of place to me, though.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

BjornOfBorg posted:

That's such a weird idea to me, since any Blind Guardian show anywhere near me would sell out pretty easily. And I'm not even talking about tiny venues either.

Yeah, no kidding. Every time I've seen Symphony X, they've been at or near capacity at The Opera House in Toronto, which holds 850. For that matter when I saw Blind Guardian at the Kool Haus on the tour with Holy Grail and Seven Kingdoms there had to have been at least 1500, and I'm probably low balling it (capacity is 2500 I think). Hell, the people who bothered to show up for Seven Kingdoms was bigger than the crowd in IRQ's picture.

I guess America is getting bored with nerdy as poo poo power metal.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

they should release "metal up your rear end" thongs

e: or butt plugs

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Radio Paranoia posted:

Like Misogynist says, God Is An Astronaut is a good place to start. They are quite fond of the whole "build up to crescendo" model that Anathema are doing lately. Mono do it too, especially on their last album, Hymn To The Immortal Wind.

I don't know if you're doing that "the last record was so bad I'm going to pretend it doesn't exist" thing but Mono's most recent album is For My Parents. Hymn To The Immortal Wind is a better record, though.

I'm torn on whether I think this is a completely empty publicity stunt as suggested in the article or really hilarious and clever. I'm leaning towards the former given that they're also releasing music at the same time anyway.

Anyway, can anyone recommend some really dirty stuff along the lines of Boris' Pink and Greenmachine's Archive of Rotten Blues? I've really been enjoying the messiness of the riffs on these albums.

Velocirocktor fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 23, 2012

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Scrambles posted:

Church of Misery.

I know and love Church of Misery, don't know why I didn't include them as an example. But thanks.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

thepitgoddess posted:

There's a new FREE Relapse sampler out.

http://relapsesampler.bandcamp.com/

It's not anything particularly obscure, but still, free tunes!

Thanks for the tip on this, there are some bands here I'd never heard of that I am really digging.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

LaBrie wandering off stage a lot is probably for the best because what the hell else is he going to do during a 6 minute keyboard solo?

edit: also Awake is their best album

Misogynist posted:

They don't actually have a drummer since The Rev died, according to Wikipedia, so that's probably deliberate.

What's the zombie mode even for if they're not going to put the whole band in the game?

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

You might try Vektor, maybe. I always thought they sounded a lot like a Sound of Perseverance cover band (I don't mean that in a bad way), if that's not later era Death than you wanted. Other people will probably have better recommendations, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2VwWTUn7BQ

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Genre labels are handy for saying "this band/album has qualities that are broadly similar to these other bands/albums in the same genre" when you don't otherwise have the time or desire or grasp of language or whatever to delve deeper into the qualities unique to that band/album. If someone says they're new to metal but they really like Megadeth and what else is there like Megadeth?, telling them they're looking for thrash metal is reasonably helpful general advice because that's the umbrella that similar bands will fall under, even though they'll also run into bands as different as Anthrax and Vektor if they just do a YouTube search or something, neither of which sound like each other or all that much like Megadeth outside a few broad genre tropes.

As for the purity question, that changes a lot by individuals. Most people in this thread don't tend to get too hung up on it, I don't think, but a fair number of metal fans tend to get a bit uptight about whether something is "metal". Beyond that, outside of the most annoyingly anal fans, it's not that big a deal. It's really about whether or not they like it, which isn't usually tied to it being of one genre or another. Then on the other hand, I know some people who get pissed that bands don't change their names when they start playing different music, even if it's not the biggest shift like, say, the change Symphony X has made over the last decade or so. There are definitely some people who get a little too hung up on genres and a narrow set of characteristics that make it "right".

tl;dr genre labelling is handy as a guideline or for cataloguing, but not particularly relevant beyond that

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

deadwing posted:

That producer guy (can't remember his name, on mobile right now) encouraged Nevermore to trim down the songs, make them poppier, and bring Warrel to the forefront of all the songs. Not the best formula.

Seriously? How could anyone listen to This Godless Endeavour and think the best step forward is to try to sound less like that record? I assume someone will post something witty about how This Godless Endeavour and/or all Nevermore sucks.

Seriously bummed that Boris isn't coming any closer to me than New York City, since I can't quite afford the time or money to make that kind of a trip. I'm missing a lot of shows between now and April because I'm away from home on a work term for school, and seeing Boris for the first time would have been a nice make-up present. Oh well.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

It's a metal opera (hence the Avantasia comparison), they're both guest vocalists, so he might still have a stupid hat. I don't expect it will be as enjoyable as Avantasia, as I think Tolkki's too much of a curmudgeon to carry a silly concept as well as Tobi does. But maybe that's just down to me finding most of Tolkki's work insufferably boring and flighty. Stratovarius is just one of those bands whose status I never understood.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

I loved that song when I was 12. It was in my favourite Dragonball Z music video.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

I wish everyone who made music I don't like died tragically young in painful accidents

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

That Paganfest lineup is basically everything I want in a folk metal show. Dumb goofy poo poo out the rear end and a crowd full of people who probably should be ashamed but are having too much fun to be.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

I can't think of a record I've heard in a while that sounds more like the band coasting on autopilot than the most recent Dream Theater. Dramatic Turn of Events was pretty stale overall but it had a little bit of vitality to it at times, I imagine due to the change in writing dynamic with Portnoy gone. The self-titled lacks any of that. It sounds like what you'd get if you fed Dream Theater's discography to a markov chain generator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Nordick posted:

Yeah, the crowd is half the reason why Blind Guardian concerts are so drat awesome. BG fans are always so incredibly into it (I should know, I am one) and will sing along entire songs all night long.

Blind Guardian remains my favourite metal act I've ever seen live, and the crowds have been such a huge part of that. First time I saw them, on top of the amazing performance and awesome energy from the crowd, everyone was singing the chorus to Valhalla leaving the building and walking down the street after the show. It was amazing. Some bands just seem to draw out incredible crowds, and no metal band I've seen does it quite like Blind Guardian.