Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I was listening to that new Wittr album in my car and got lost in the noise, too much poo poo going on for my ears. It's definitely headphone music, and I absolutely am looking forward to getting some time to devote to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

If anyone is heading to see Wolves in the Throne Room and Thou tomorrow in Rhode Island and you see a guy in a Absu shirt that's me, come and say hi!

I'm so excited to see both of these bands, I think it's supposed to be in a parking lot too.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

...will you be wearing the obligatory Opeth wristband too?

Female-fronted black metal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVIY7NvhynE
Darkestrah - Cult Tengri

Nah, it's supposed to be outside and it's my only long sleeve shirt.

I realized the goony reference while posting it, but I decided to go for it anyways.

edit: Some new page metal content; I came across a video for Howl's Heavenless http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehFnLxZwSys

Bloody and fun.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 11, 2011

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

There's been a lot of Arkona love in this thread lately and wouldn't ya know it they're going on tour with Korpiklaani in the states!

KORPIKLANNI, ARKONA, POLKADOT CADAVER, FORGED IN FLAMES

Nov 23 Montreal @ Club Soda (no ARKONA)
Nov 24 Toronto @ Mod Club (no ARKONA)
Nov-25 New York, NY @ Gramercy Theater
Nov-26 Cleveland, OH @ Peabody's
Nov-27 Joliet, IL @ Mojoe's
Nov-29 Winnipeg, MB @ Park Theater
Nov-30 Regina, SK @ The Exchange
Dec-01 Edmonton, AB @ Pawn Shop
Dec-02 Calgary, AB – The Distillery
Dec-03 Vancouver, BC - TBA
Dec-04 Seattle, WA @ Studio Seven
Dec-05 Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theater
Dec-06 Oakland, CA @ The Pound
Dec-07 Hollywood, CA @ Key Club
Dec 08 Tempe, AZ @ Clubhouse
Dec 10 Austin, TX - Emo's
Dec 11 New Orleans, LA @ Hangar
Dec 12 Orlando, FL @ Firestone Live
Dec 13 Atlanta, GA @ Masquerade
Dec 14 Columbus, OH @ Alrosa Villa
Dec 15 Springfield, VA @ Jaxx
Dec 16 Reading, PA @ The Reverb
Dec 17 Worcester, MA @ The Palladium
DEC 18 Quebec City, QC @ Imperial Theater (no ARKONA)

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

What bands should I look into if my favorite band is Sigh and lately I've been listening to Summoning, Aes Dana, Kataxu, Morker and Agalloch.

Because conventional wisdom says these are all black metal bands, but I tend to not like 99% of black metal people recommend me.

Orchid are top notch. If you like them you should get the demo that Age of Taurus put out last year, its in the same vein if not a little more doom.

This really should have been posted in the black metal thread if you want some good people giving you ideas, but if you want bands that kinda fall in the same area I would check out these bands

Petrychor - The first Petrychor EP is absolutely amazing, but his second release he kinda went a astray from I was hoping it was going to be. You might like them though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUZtULEa8Ps

Wolves in the Throne Room- You can really start with any album of theirs, they're all great...but the one that seemed to get their career really started was Two Hunters. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8VTvrZAX4s

Caina - The production values are a bit iffy sometimes, but I really really love his 2009 EP. "You Worship the Wrong Carpenter" has regular rotation in my playlist.

Drudkh - They kinda fall under what you're looking for...I would start with Autumn Aurora and branch out from there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eozo68PTHg

Ulver - The album Bergtatt is, I believe, is credited with creating the whole folk/black/acoustic sound and it's an amazing album even after all these years. Definitely DEFINITELY check this out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlJ_YmJb5KE

edit: There was a band that's been posted in these threads before that is basically a straight rip off of Agalloch so maybe if someone can remember who they were that'd be a good recommendation too.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 18, 2011

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So, a sample of Metallica and Lou Reed's collaboration has been released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZhnTY_tdeU

What the gently caress did I just listen to?

Welp, I suppose all we need is Shia Lebouf on the album coverart just to complete the childhood dream-smashing poo poo trifecta.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

I recognize all the other rappers on the patches EXCEPT the one on the bottom right.

A quick wiki look says Jodeci is a R+B group. So there ya go, Jodeci.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

MrBling posted:

I don't think you understand. All the patches on this vest are for rap/r&b stuff yes but they're all based on metal/punk band logos.

We know that it is Jodeci, we're just trying to find out which band they got that logo from. Because it looks so very familiar.

Also, as a rule r&b bands dont feature inverted crosses in their logo.

Oh poo poo, yea, I reread it and actually caught the "based on" part, I'm sorry.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Roasted Donut posted:

Celestial Lineage is my favorite album by them, so it's a pretty high note to go out on.

I like the album a lot, but after listening to nothing but down tuned bass heavy doom for months and then going to the very light almost airy production was jarring for me. I can't even pick out a bass guitar and when I saw them last month I don't even remember seeing a bassist.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

Wow they really did go all out for dissection huh? Even "ending" the record with a piano track (even if it's nothing compared to ...Breathless Sleep).

They do a good job with Somberlain though. That song ain't easy to play.

Yea, it's a pretty decent album but the thing is, I listened to it for like 20 minutes and then turned it off and put on Storm of Lights Bane and listened to the real thing.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

QPZIL posted:

I'm listening to Somberlain right now. God drat I didn't realize where Watain got their sound until now :shobon:

Whatever you do, just don't watch their live Rebirth of Dissection DVD. It really really killed Dissection for me, the drummer (Tomas Asklund) they got to fill in is just an awful boring mess of poo poo. He literally takes energy away from their songs, I don't even understand how that's possible.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

Seriously? I loved that DVD. He's boring to watch but he's a great drummer and let's be honest, nobody's listening to dissection for the drums.

Besides it's the only way anyone who didn't live in sweden in the early 90s gets to see dissection live, even if jon's the only guy from those albums left.

Yea, he played the songs amazingly and had great timing. I'm watching some clips right now and I think I figured out why I don't really like it. Jon is like a ball of energy and he's being an amazing frontman and in contrast with that Tomas just kinda looks bored and out of place.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

If a forum filled with people who listen to hosed up, weird, experimental, and off-beat music can't find a way to enjoy Lulu, I don't think anyone other than extreme metallica fanboys will like it.

I love the idea of putting videos/recommendations in the op. Don't forget to add American death metal as well...Death, Cannibal corpse, Morbid angel, and Decide just to name a few.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

If you're in Providence, RI or Boston there are a couple small stores that stock death, black and all the other genres. I was at one today and it was kinda cool flipping through the vinyl and seeing Cannabis corpse, hellhammer, Agalloch, and Sigh. It's called Armageddon Shop.

I left with the Nachtmystium Assassins pt 1 LP. So excited to hear it on vinyl.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

Blackguard, Dragonforce, or Powerglove. Blind Guardian if you're at least civilized enough to take off the hat when you go indoors.

That's the problem with Blind Guardian. I went to see them in Florida and I saw at least six people with their XXL Blind Guardian shirts tucked into their way too small jeans. I love the band, but that sure is a sight.

Only shirts I would not wear is from any NS bands. I have a bald head and I really don't want to get mistaken with those jerk offs.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

Morbid Angel changed quite a bit over the years, being a lot thrashier earlier, having more groove-oriented riffing and a sludgy overall feel on Domination, and changing quite a bit and experimenting more after that, when frontman David Vincent left the band. I'd recommend listening to the Morbid Angel albums in order - they were released on alphabetical order, so far they've made an album for each letter A-I. Their first four are generally regarded as their classic era. Here's my favorite song from the debut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WrsHk2pcik

The toms on Domination are are probably the worst sounding I have ever heard, they're like garbage can lids. it kinda fits for the album though. That being said "Where the slime lives" is a sick groove filled song and after more than 10 years it is still one of my favorites.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

It's always a shame when you hear some metal coming from a car or a stereo and when you get a little closer you realize it's Dethklok.

We could have been friends, man.

Anyways, I wish Skeletonwitch had different production, more of a heavier sound I guess. They're loving awesome and I'm sure hearing them live is WAY better than the album.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

My buddy was complaining about their albums sounding a bit lovely but I don't hear it. Granted I like some of my music raw and don't mind poor production. Keep in mind he works at a studio and is in a hardcore band, so he's a bit picky about sound. Seeing them live next month opening for Unearth -- hoping to meet them because 3 solid albums in a row? RARE!

I didn't say poor production at all, It's just not that heavy sounding. I guess it's because I've been on a stoner/doom kick lately and if my speakers aren't about to rip I'm going to have trouble getting into it.

Production is really relative anyways, Burzum's Filosofem and Bongzilla's Gateway are two of my most favorite sounding albums ever. The tone on both of those albums are exactly what they needed and it's done perfectly.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Concatenation posted:

Wellp, looks like I might be getting an interview with Dave of Anaal Nathrakh (also Benediction and Mistress) after all. Anyone have any questions for him? I'm like a nervous schoolgirl now :dance:

I don't really have a question, it's more like begging. Please make Mick Kenney stop hanging out with those guys from Bleeding Through. It's making his guitar playing sound like poo poo and we don't want awful breakdowns in our Anaal Nathrakh.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Are there any metal related sales going on right now? I could use some new vinyl and shirts.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Oh man, I just paid off my credit card too. My poor wallet.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

thepitgoddess posted:

I know there's a few Florida people here, so jsut to update....

The main Orlando venue, Club Firestone, will no longer be doing shows. As such, our shows got scattered all over the state. Most of the Spring tours will be at the Orpheum in Tampa.

The Cro Mags Dec 2 show got moved to Brass Mug, Tampa.
Obscura/Abysmal Dawn's Orlando date (dec 4) is at the Haven. The Tampa date is the same.
The Mayhem show got moved to a shithole called 321 Local in Cocoa. It's small as poo poo, and I honestly think there's a chance Mayhem will take one look and refuse to play, since it's smaller than the Brass Mug and I highly doubt their stage set will even fit.

Oh man, I don't live in Florida anymore, but I lived right down the road from the 321 local. It really is an awful tiny shithole who's usual bands are deathcore and bad indie rock. Ya, Mayhem isn't gonna play. They don't serve liquor either, just beer.

Any news as to why the Firestone isn't doing anymore shows? That was literally the only larger venue doing proper metal in Orlando.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

So, Korn invented stoner/doom as well? drat. I guess I just don't know anything anymore.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

It's probably something to do with the way he died, rather than the fact that he was a musician who died. How many Pete Steele memorial concerts have there been this year? Not many I would imagine.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

I'd like to second "Satan". Bongripper's "Satan" is 10+ minutes of seamlessly blending black/death/doom, it has a great atmosphere from leaving some roughness (higher frequencies of guitars/drums) in a clean, but not polished mix. It's four dudes without a record label, recording the most extreme music they can, handling their own production, and just kicking rear end in general.

I don't think you get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puwllq0fBLs

Gaahl will explain it for you.

edit: I do agree with you though. I love Bongripper and I wish they had more than 1 song with screaming, but it's ok. They're still awesome.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 19, 2011

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

McPantserton posted:

I'm a bit worried I'll be made fun of because I'm a fake hipster or whatever but I need new music recommendations so here goes. My current favorite bands are ISIS, Agalloch, Fen, and 40 Watt Sun and I really need some new stuff to go to. Any recommendations?

For Agalloch and Fen, these have been posted many times over in the thread but bands like Wolves in the Throne Room, Altar of Plagues, Krallice, Petrychor, Ash Borer, Caina, and Drudkh. There is one band that I believe is from Canada that literally sounds exactly like Agalloch, I just can't remember their name because I'd rather just listen to Agalloch.

Psycho Mantits posted:

For Isis-type stuff, check out Pelican, Cult of Luna, and Neurosis (who basically created the whole "post-metal" sound, and are really drat good in their own right).

Can't really help with the others.

You can also throw The Atlas Moth and Bongripper in the mix for these bands as well. The newest Twilight album has Aaron Turner writing and playing on it, so it's basically a nasty raw black metal version of Isis. It's really good.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Didn't Absu's newest album come out in 2011? I'm surprised none of you have listed it at all.

It's not a mind blowing album, but it definitely has some great parts. The second half of Abraxas Connexus is really amazing.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

DEAR RICHARD posted:

My favorite album that I listened to in 2011 was Agalloch-The Mantle

Yea, that's pretty much how I feel about this year. 99% of everything I had on rotation was older releases. It was not a spectacular year for music.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Kevin Bacon posted:

Are there any sites or blogs out there that do good reviews for a wide array of genres and bands (barely even heard of to Metallica)?

I find that skimming through reviews has been a good way for me to discover new bands.

Yea, I wish there was a site like that for bands going on tour. Someone on here told me about killertours.com but they don't ever get the tiny club/bar shows that I really want to see.

I browse DFFD for doom bands and this thread really helps out a lot, but there really is no centralized area for good tours.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

I_Like_Me posted:

A friend of mine hosts a 2 hour segment on a radio station in Chicago for all things metal. He's also putting them on youtube, he's found a lot of unknowns and helped get them some exposure. If you guys know anyone to recommend you should check him out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8t0mY6GJW0

When I lived near Philadelphia 94ysp used to have a 2-3 hour show every sunday of only local bands (They probably still do). But, it was straight up nasty raw death metal and all things heavy and it was my first time hearing REAL heavy music. It's nice to see radio stations still do this kinda stuff.

One of the main bands they usually played was Bad Luck 13: Riot Extravaganza, which was a mixture of hardcore/Anal oval office trolling/backyard wrestling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSU3lRiR9gM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e78cXGBFNsc

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 5, 2012

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I wasn't sure where else to post this but the cover for Necrocomiccon's new album is too great. I'm not sure if they've been talked about here but it's a two man 80's cover metal band. All their poo poo is out there for free.

"- The Steve Winwood cover is a tribute to Dennis Reynolds of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia"

Welp, I'm sold. It's a pretty hilarious album and aside from the fake bass drum it sounds pretty good too.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

When you listen to him play he's always about half a beat off from the rest of the band. This can be a conscience decision, for instance I saw a video where Devin Townsend was talking about how he prefers the instruments to be just a bit off, too further achieve a "wall of sound," but Lars is doing it completely through lack of skill.

He hits the drums way too hard for his skill level and the tempo for his songs. I remember watching a video saying that they had to change his heads on his toms every fill he did on AJFA... I hit very hard and even still I could never do that.

A drummer is supposed to set the tempo, be confident, and basically run the show as far as live performances go. He does none of this. I compare him to a high school drummer just learning the ropes and they kinda don't care about anything except, "I play drums, for METALLICA."

Also, I read that it took him upwards of a year to record the Black album. Have you heard that album? (I know everyone has, duh). A child can (and probably has) play Nothing else matters perfectly.

He's not good and he definitely has hit the musical lottery.

Edit: I must say the reason why I became a drummer is because of him though. When I was young and heard Kill em all for the first time my mind was loving blown. So, I don't have a weird hate for him. I just realized my hero was a shithead and a bad musician.

The drummers that Agalloch use fall into the same category, just weird off time fills and honestly its the worst part about Agalloch.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwHAxjmIv6o&feature=player_detailpage#t=252s Here's the video with Devin Towsend talking about recording and being "on beat."

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 7, 2012

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's funny that you say that, because as far as I know they have had two drummers for album stuff. John Haughm (vocalist) did all but the most recent album, which was done by Aesop from Worm Ouroboros (also does a music blog). They are completely different kinds of drummers, so it's odd to hear you lump them together like that.

If you listen to You Were but a Ghost in My Arms the bass drum is really squirrely here. I'm not saying he's bad at all, I really enjoy Agalloch, but it illustrates the kind of thing Lars does by being on the beat and still kinda half-off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTzPihhzmQY&feature=player_detailpage#t=42s

Also, the blast beat in the beginning of "Into the Painted Grey" is really weird sounding. It's probably due to the production with the bass drum being so forward in the mix and lack of triggers. As I'm listening to this song more closely, I feel that this is an actual conscious decision. I remember reading they wanted to keep an "analog" sound, which I would assume has very little post-processing and things like making your left and right foot hit at or around the same velocity/strength isn't that big of a deal.

I don't give Lars a lot of room for error, for being in the biggest metal band in America he should at least take some lessons and take some pride and get rid of those stupid loving Ahead sticks. They're so bad. Lars is a business man first (napster withstanding), he saw music gold in James Hetfield and did whatever he could to be apart of that magic. He's a drummer second and it shows.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 7, 2012

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

This was posted in the awkward + ugly thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yWqGR6LQ8s

Where do people even get those leather spikes?

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

aliencowboy posted:

I didn't realize there was another Ancient Wisdom and just checked them out and yeah, they are pretty rad. I just figured the guys I saw liked spelling their name like jackasses.

I don't know if I can get behind this man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CivtuX6PNXQ&feature=related

Sucks about the Ghost tour though, I would have loved to see them play but they played in Boston 2 days ago and I didn't even remember.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

CM Funk posted:

I don't want to get all "but is it art" or nothing but how is this even metal? If not for the subject matter I could see Three Doors Down covering this.

There is no argument that that song is not metal. The first band I thought that would be playing is Nickelback, so yea. I was just posting it to illustrate who Ancient VVisdom was.

edit: It's catchy as gently caress, I was walking around work yesterday singing it.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 23, 2012

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

I saw an awful lot of Dads with tucked in Metallica t-shirts and kids with fedoras standing outside for the Megadeth show. Can't imagine a couple hours of Dave Mustaine whispering into the mic could be good. I'd still love to see Motorhead though, never need a reason to see them.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Nordick posted:

Wintersun is loving ace.
The opening track on the (only) album is pretty straightforward but still awesome, and after that the songs get bigger and longer one after another.

Oh, that reminds me, it's time for my bi-annual check on the release date of Time!!!

Well, the last update was in May of 2011 and their messageboards are down. http://wintermadness.net/messageboard/index.php

I guess I can wait another 2 years.

skudmunky posted:

I saw Barren Earth opening for Finntroll and Ensiferum last year and they blew me away. Awesome band.

I saw Barren Earth too, they were really good live and the singer is very good. Normally switching from growling to clean vocals suffer the most in a live setting but he did wonderful. That being said, I wasn't blown away by them mostly because I really really wanted to see Ensiferum.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 30, 2012

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

I confess that I really like the first Dragonforce album. :negative:

I'm pretty sure that the first Dragonforce album could be considered power metal which means you SHOULD feel guilty about liking it. That being said, I'll gladly blast a couple Symphony X records as loud as possible....in my headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Durendal posted:

Wait when did Symphony X start to get lumped in with Dragonforce? For that matter you guys didn't like V?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh :psypop:

Well, it was either them or Sonata Arctica, although their first album is pretty god drat good too.