Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Well, we all know Gwar tours a gently caress ton and they're touring with Municipal Waste and Ghoul this year. I'm going to try my hardest to be at the Boston show.

3/16: Richmond, VA @ The National
3/17: Millvale, PA @ Mr. Smalls
3/18: Sayreville, NJ @ Starland Ballroom
3/20: Boston, MA @ Wilbur Theater
3/21: So. Burlington, VT @ Higher Ground
3/22: Syracuse, NY @ Westcott Theater
3/23: Toledo, OH @ The Omni
3/24: Lexington, KY @ Buster’s Billiards and Backroom
3/25: Joliet, IL @ Mojoes
3/26: Madison, WI @ Majestic Theater
3/27: Des Moines, IA @ People’s Court
3/28: Tulsa, OK @ Cain’s Ballroom
3/30: Lincoln, NE @ Bourbon Theater
3/31: Boulder, CO @ Fox Theater
4/1: Grand Junction, CO @ Mesa Theater & Club
4/2: Flagstaff, AZ @ Orpheum Theater
4/3: San Diego, CA @ House Of Blues
4/4: Ventura, CA @ Majestic Ventura Theater
4/5: Chico, CA @ Senator Theater
4/6: San Francisco, CA @ The Regency Ballroom
4/7: Reno, NV @ Knitting Factory
4/9: Las Vegas, NV @ Hard Rock Café
4/10: Magna, UT @ The Great Salt Air
4/11: Ft. Collins, CO @ Aggie Theater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Speaking of tours are there any other tours announced?

Let's see we have these bands announced and on tour.

- Behemoth, Watain, Devil's Blood
- Alcest, Deafheaven (Two FL dates and nothing in New England? ughhh)
- Agalloch US tour (tourdates not announced)
- Gwar, Municipal Waste
- Cannibal Corpse, Exhumed

s0nar posted:

So what I'm reading here is if you can, go see GWAR.

Yea, absolutely, plus who knows how many years Dave Brockie has left. That guy's been partying like loving crazy since the early 80's.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 9, 2012

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Wyzt posted:

Well I decided to try using my years of image editing experience to see what this would look like...

His face magically looks smaller.

Well, now he can sing for Blind Guardian.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

henpod posted:

I know Alestorm are pretty disliked here, but I went to go see them on Saturday night in London and it was a really fun show. Perhaps it was all the rum I had drunk before going in, but it was a blast. I think my favourite part though was afterwards where about 150 people dressed as pirates spilled out into the street amongst the very surprised general population.

I mean, for myself I would love to get shitfaced and yell songs about pirates. There's nothing wrong with having fun at shows. I don't listen to them, but I'd definitely go see them play live.

People take metal music too seriously sometimes. It is entertainment after all.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Stoat posted:

Kakko wins for acknowledging how lovely it's all got, how it's all for the money (Shitload of money) and what he hopes the reviewers will do. (Don't be mean)

Ecliptica was filled with cheesy power metal tropes, but was still completely awesome. I caught the video they released for their last album and I was embarassed watching it sitting alone in my room. I can't imagine how bad this one will be.

Of course, with what I'm reading here this could be a "gently caress you who cares" album and it could be filled with tons of double bass and creepy badly translated english lyrics. (Which means it'll be Ecliptica awesome again.)

We'll see.

Speaking of power metal, I'm still waiting for Time to come out and I can't wait for the next Blind Guardian US tour/album.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

crazyvanman posted:

On the topic of Alestorm and Swashbuckle, I remember Swashbuckle practically getting booed off at Heidenfest in England last year. They essentially and unsubtly slagged off Alestorm and told us to punch each other in the face.

They were so arrogant, no one was moving, they got angry, no one liked them, I'm pretty sure they cut their own set short. Oh and the music was just bad.

General lesson - when you're playing with Ensiferum, Heidevolk, Equilibrium, don't stand up there and moan about folk metal and people who want to do gimmicky things

That's the difference. Alestorm know they're jokes and love it. Swashbuckle try to be serious and end up being the joke.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Kalus posted:

So what's going to happen to Bloodbath now that Mikael has ruined his voice, anyone know?

Um, what? When did this happen do you have a link?
Or is this because he didn't scream at all on Heritage.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Trees and Squids posted:

I'm new to the world of technical death metal, but come on, Spawn of Possession's new album has to be considered something special, right? This is absolutely ridiculous, inhuman material. I don't think I've heard musicianship and songwriting this intense before.

Here's the thing with musicianship. Today, you can spend 30 minutes on youtube and find some little kid who's better. Musicianship isn't special anymore, for me, its more about how intense the music is. It has to invoke emotions, tech death typically is a genre that doesn't do that.

The album is very good, but its still tech death.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

fuf posted:

It's funny because the biggest emotional response I get from metal music is when I hear a really good riff or solo. It's like an upsurge of energy and joy which is really hard to describe. I think it has something to do with the concentration required to properly absorb the complexity of the music (Leibniz said the joy in music comes from "a hidden arithmetic exercise of the soul, which does not know that it is counting").

The problem is I think brains get better at discerning complexity. When I was a kid I would get this joyful response from listening to Metallica, Iron Maiden etc., but soon all that stuff was too slow and simplistic. Then came Dream Theater, Symphony X, and guys like Satch and Vinnie Moore, but soon even they started getting a bit tame.

Now most of the riffs that make my brain leap for joy come from technical death metal. When I first heard this 10 or so seconds I had the same emotional response as listening to seek and destroy or phantom of the opera when I was 10.

I don't really get any other emotional response from metal. It doesn't make me angry or eager to burn down churches or whatever.

(I agree that lots of tech death is pretty bad though. I'm always waxing lyrical about psycroptic and necrophagist but I'm not really a fan of obscura.)

I should have clarified, it doesn't invoke a lot of emotion for me at all. Like Vargatron I got into tech death because of the "holy gently caress" factor as well, but speed and technicality doesn't excite me anymore. It's not special anymore, and that's 100% because of the internet and the hundreds of youtube sensations destroying all sense of their life to play a 300bpm arpeggio.

As I've grown older I have started to look at a whole song and the whole idea of what they're trying to convey. When it's a disjointed mess of tempo changes and atonal riffing it bothers me.

Now, some songs are amazing standouts for me in the genre. Obscura's Incarnated is a sick song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzjKMYsiGyk

Along with Origin's first track on Antithesis. That track is just pure aggression non-stop. I love it.

Also it might be because when I go to local shows there's always a band that tries to be the next Necrophagist and it's annoying because they're not.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

vanov posted:

I miss Isis so loving much you guys. Aaron Turner's project (well, the band he's in now) Twilight has an album titled "Monument to Time End" which hails from its other members' black and atmospheric roots (other members include Xasthur, Atlas Moth and Minsk alumni) to come out a grim and frostbitten monster. Worth a listen.

Twilight - The Cryptic Ascension

Bonus: Check out Hacride's "Perturbed," awesome French groove that redefines how to use breakdowns and build-ups. (NSFW for boobies)

Malefic didn't play on the same album Aaron Turner did. He only played on the first album which was more "traditional" black metal. You also missed Blake Judd from Nachtmystium, who contributed an asston to the album. "Monument to Time End" is a pretty killer record and the last track really sounds like a black-metal Isis (So, loving awesome.)

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Hey, maybe you'll be mentioned as a co-producer on the next album that drops in July?

Wasn't it on here that someone posted that they had tried to buy a T-shirt on one of the last Nachtmystium tours and the guys said that they had forgotten to order shirts before the tour started or they had spent all the funds on drugs. Man, that's pretty rock n' roll. With that said, I can't wait for some new Nachtmystium. The new single that is suppose to come out this month is going to have a cover version of Joy Division's "The Eternal", w/ Chris Connelly on vocals.

Yea, when I saw them play in Orlando all they had was a copy of Eulogy IV and their live album and maybe a youth small t-shirt. I like buying poo poo at shows, so it pisses me off when bands just flat out don't have anything. Sad part is, I regret not buying Eulogy IV because it's probably one of their best albums. "Bleed for Thee" is such a killer song.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

IRQ posted:

Yeah but it's really really horrible!

I don't know if I feel ok watching this in public on my phone. Somebody could see me.

Edit: I just made it through, holy jesus it's so bad. The worst part about it is you just know there is some fat girl out there with tears in her eyes screaming along to this because it speaks to her. Ugh, why was Ecliptica good and the rest of their stuff trash? Did someone quit?

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 22, 2012

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

I'll be checking out the show in Massachusetts next week. I've never been to the Palladium before, so I hope it doesn't suck poo poo.

Part of the reason I want to see Watain is the theatrics, so I hope they're there too.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

I don't really care about that stuff, Behemoth was one of those bands that I always said "eh, ill see them next time around." With Nergal getting leukemia, I'd like to make sure I've seen them at least once.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

New Nachtmystium EP came out today. The new track "As Made" is a sort of tribute to Ministry, I haven't heard the other one.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

I wouldn't go into a Hatebreed pit, those kids aren't there to have fun. They just like kicking the girls on the side of the pit. I'd much rather go see a band like Municipal Waste and enjoy running around going nuts. gently caress that kicking poo poo.

Also, more power to Brendan Small, that guy is successful in TV and has a decent music career? That's two entirely separate dream jobs for most people.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

My dad is a huge Kansas fan, Leftoverture is loving amazing when you're 6.

When I hear that music nowadays it is really easy to draw comparisons to metal nowadays. It's a logical progression of music. More crazy vocals and louder amps.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

I didn't even realize Chicago had much metal outside Russian Circles and Pelican. Where do you see these shows at?

Nachtmystium and Bongripper are both from Chicago.. I would check where they've played and branch out from there.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

The intro for Nachtmystium's Assassins is absolutely sick, especially live. Sanford Parker destroyed a lot of my hearing that night with his moog synths.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

New Nachtmystium too, I guess they're not really "black metal" anymore.

http://soundcloud.com/centurymediarecords/nachtmystium-borrowed-hope-and

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Moonsorrow, Korpiklaani, Tyr, and another band are going on a North American tour. No tour dates yet, but oh my god this will be amazing.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

I gave that "Bound by Entrails" album a listen, the biggest thing that stood out to me was the drummer. A lot of the blast beats/transitions were off and not by a little bit, noticeably like the guy from Agalloch. Other than that, it was pretty drat good.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Phasco Redbeard posted:

Y'know what this thread needs? Crazy people!
It's a half-hour of your life you'll never get back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MjcSL5218

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWwo5H-DOUw

I don't think I've seen any of these videos that originate from America mention Burzum, Emperor, or Mayhem. I feel like if I had enough energy to make videos like these, at least I'd get it right.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Drifter287 posted:

Thirding the Blind Guardian is awesome live sentiment. I've seen them two or three times, including their very first US tour, and they're always amazing. I also saw them play And Then There Was Silence and it did indeed loving own.

I do wish they'd play When Sorrow Sang live some time though. That song is the poo poo.

I saw Blind Guardian in St. Petersburg FL and someone was kind enough to video tape it and upload it all to youtube. I can hear myself singing the Bard Song! I can't wait to see them again, it's always an amazing show. Plus, I absolutely LOVE seeing all these nerds with long hair and tucked in Blind Guardian t-shirts.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

I am absolutely SHOCKED to see a New London date, I guess I know where I'll be absolutely.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

Napalm Death and Converge are both coming to Connecticut :swoon:

I'm surprised to see it, but the El is back and they still don't have a proper website. There's also a three day almost-extreme metal festival there with a bunch of bands on October 12-14, called the "Winter is Coming Festival".

Agalloch and Fen are both playing during this fest.

Holy loving poo poo, this is amazing. When did this place come back? Why did it go away?

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Speaking of shows has anyone seen or is anyone going to see the Korpiklaani/Moonsorrow/Tyr show? I'm going to see the show at the Palladium in Worcester this weekend. I'm just wondering how its gonna be.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

I use a grooveshark app on my phone. It's pretty much had every single band I could think of (except the most kvlt of kvlt black metal) with a healthy amount of their discography.

Grooveshark is definitely a-ok in my book.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

The only thing I enjoy about Slayer is watching Kerry King play. His goofy rear end tribal tats/guitar and how funny he looks when he headbangs makes it so worth it.

edit: I'm so glad the new Wintersun album doesn't suck. I actually REALLY enjoy it.

On first listen, I feel like it's what would happen if Devin Townsend listened to Blind Guardian for the past 10 years straight.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 14, 2012

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

I was expecting more "Battle Against Time" and not "Sleeping Stars." You have Kai Hahto who is absolutely AMAZING at drums. Please do more blast beats.

I'd rather listen to the new Anaal Nathrakh which (besides the last track) is awesome and destroys. I'm also happy this new album isn't as bad as Passion, I read that Mick Kenney was collaborating with a guy from Bring Me the Horizon (and I just noticed that he produced a Bleeding Through album) so I was 90% sure Passion was going to have bad breakdowns.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

Guitars and vocals seem to be run in stereo with a bit of delay and the amps seem to have slightly different tones on each side, probably just slightly different EQing and all of those amps probably aren't 100% identical. The band is great and they play very well, and their sound technician seems handles the band very well.

He uses Engl Powerballs I believe, but that is fake.

It also has a lot to do with Abbath's playstyle. The chords he uses aren't typical for metal playing and his picking is very deliberate and big and it fills up a lot of white-noise.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 29, 2012

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Radio Paranoia posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations for good sites to buy merch, specifically shirts? Previously I've bought directly through labels or chipped in with friends and someone else did the legwork of finding places, but I'm thinking of ordering some stuff over the holidays.

I'll probably do it with two or more friends with varying tastes too, so some place with a wide selection would be cool.

I've bought a lot of Nachtmystium poo poo from http://www.shirtsanddestroy.com/artists

Everything looks quite good after many washes and it's held up well to wear and tear.

Also http://www.fearshop.com/Default.asp is pretty good

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

QPZIL posted:

Yeah seriously, at least Blind Guardian wrote songs about like... The Bard's Tale and Sacred 2

To be fair "Sacred Worlds" is probably the best opener on any Blind Guardian record to date. I don't ever care how nerdy it is, it loving kills live.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

This is exactly what I was gonna say. Blind Guardian is the gold standard of power metal. You can throw a little Wintersun for more blast beats and screaming and some Holy Grail if you're feeling like the 80s

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

watt par posted:

The attention to detail makes me think it might be really good satire. I were gonna make a youtube making fun of internet metal nerds it'd be almost indistinguishable from that.

Yea, seriously. The guy says "This is music" and links a Dream Theater track? That's what I would do if I was trying to gently caress around with people on this topic.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Labeling music in a genre specific fashion is a kind of necessary evil. There are so many types of bands throughout the world and picking one randomly and hoping you're going to like it doesn't work. This holds true ESPECIALLY with metal, which fosters the idea that basement dwelling nerds can be the next big thing (they never are).

Genres are just a roadmap man, if you like it listen to it. gently caress anyone else who cares otherwise.

Besides, Blind Guardian and At the Gates have also made the same album over and over again. Just because it's the same thing doesn't mean it's good.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Dani Filth is hilariously short and a fat gothy chick mosh pit.

That about sums up the last time I saw them play.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Abysswalker posted:

I have also been missing out for a long time, it seems! I didn't know about any of his bands, except At The Gates.

Check out his other band, It's d-beat and it's awesome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jVwXXG9HPo

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Laserface posted:

Glad I got to see them in Feb at least :(

I was gonna see them on Halloween at the Electric Factory in Philly in 2003, I wimped out going and always told myself I needed to see them before something like this happens. I never did. Gonna miss that crazy fucker, his twitter was always good for a laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

I knew it was a long shot and I knew I shouldn't have given Blake money, but I did. I've been silently hoping it shows up in the mail so I could take pictures and gloat, but that's definitely not going to happen.

It was only 20 dollars, oh well.