Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Might try Turmion Katilot for the industrial infused metal. Not totally like Sybreed but it might work. Im curious for some other recommendations too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Non Serviam posted:

If anybody wants to help me review albums and/or concerts, please let me know. You'll get the chance to listen to music before everyone else!

gothichouseplant at gmail dot com

If you need a website or reviews, let me know.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Rion.exe posted:

Could anyone recommend where I should start digging for getting into thrash? I've been listening to Toxic Holocaust and Skeletonwitch...

I'm really shocked no one else recommended you this yet, but Deströyer 666 is an excellent start. Get "Cold Steel... for an Iron Age" since it's the thrashiest of the bunch. You might also check out Absu, Gospel of the Horns and Nifelheim.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Meshuggah :eng101:

This.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Dead Man Posting posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ar2y1PyTWg

I never heard of this band before. They're in Russia, but they sing in Finnish.

Their newer albums aren't metal at all, but the early stuff isn't bad.

Even their new stuff is good post-metal/post-rock background goodness. I actually found them a bit back looking for stuff like Amesoeurs.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

David Pratt posted:

Haha, Sólstafir are local legends here, at any metal gig like 20% of the attendees will have their Sólstafir hoodies on :)

Another awesome local band is Skálmöld. They're not very similar (apart from being Icelandic) and I like them a lot more than Sólstafir, they really get the crowd going. Skálmöld - Kvađning.

Seconding Sólstafir's and Skálmöld, though for different reasons of course :)

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Not sure if anyone has seen this yet, but for those of you who live in the States and missed Arkona the first time around, they are coming back with Paganfest 2012:

Turisas, Alestorm, Ex Deo, Arkona, Huntress

Thu 3/29 - Baltimore, MD @ Sonar
Fri 3/30 - Worcester, MA @ Palladium
Sat 3/31 - New York, NY @ Gramercy Theatre
Sun 4/01 - Montreal, QC @ Club Soda
Mon 4/02 - Toronto, ON @ The Opera House
Tue 4/03 - Cleveland, OH @ Peabody's
Wed 4/04 - Detroit, MI @ Blondie's
Thu 4/05 - Chicago, IL @ Reggie's Rock Club
Fri 4/06 - Saint Paul, MN @ Station 4
Sat 4/07 - Louisville, KY @ Vernon Club
Sun 4/08 - Charlotte, NC @ Tremont Music Hall
Fri 4/13 - Denver, CO @ Summit Music Hall
Sun 4/15 - Seattle, WA @ Studio Seven
Mon 4/16 - Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theatre
Tue 4/17 - San Francisco, CA DNA Lounge
Wed 4/18 - West Hollywood, CA @ Key Club

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

llama_arse posted:

Wow, this is pretty fantastic stuff. I wish more bands would do the blackened thrash thing like Skeletonwitch.

Destroyer 666 - The Calling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDhtzib6LVw

Assaulter - Between Gods and Men
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uu3a4mqLHo

Absu - Earth Ripper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nLbP9RO_fs

Gospel of the Horns - Slaves
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8bCE5T6uLQ

Aura Noir - The Stalker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl9tnevdrxs&feature=fvst

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Just have to drop in and say that between the new Aborted, Asphyx, Spawn of Possession and being turned on to Beyond Creation and Augury, this has been a hell of a few weeks for death metal. Thank you to whoever brought up Beyond Creation and similar bands!

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
One of my friends posted this as being a new metal band... with Jada Pinkett-Smith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWO9ZLYmteU

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Anyone who says Meshuggah is bad is just foolish. The music may not appeal to you and they may have changed drastically over the years, but they are still technically proficient and a solid act to see live. I agree that it's a love/hate thing and can totally understand not liking them at all. For me, most of their stuff is pretty "meh" but I always enjoy the ride to the gems they have.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Well since the Swede's aren't getting any love tonight, how about the new Aura Noir and Desaster releases? I need me some black thrash and I haven't had a chance to listen to either yet. Opinions?

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
So I think it's an April fool's joke, but you should check out https://www.metal-archives.com...

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Rabid Koala posted:

Maybe I'm weird as hell, but I can't get into anything Meshuggah released pre-Nothing, and Catch 33 is one of my favorite metal albums. I even ran out and bought I the minute one of my friends played the MP3 for me. There's just something about the robotic, rhythmic metal that they play that really does it for me.

The only CD I enjoyed pre-Nothing was Chaosphere. There are so many catchy songs on that album.

Other than that, I think all of their albums are just a calm, rhythmic, beat that I can "mellow" headbang to pretty much from start to stop.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Misogynist posted:

Hey man, who wouldn't want to pay $65 to see Job for a Cowboy?

gently caress if it was 35 or something I would go for Dying Fetus, The Faceless and 3 Inches of Blood at least, but 65 :psyduck:

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Nuclear Fetus posted:

Agalloch was great last night! They also seemed to be really just nice and cool guys in general, which was completely not what I was expecting based on things I've read about them (mostly in this thread) being obnoxiously pretentious and kind of being dicks. They came out and shook hands with everyone in the front row after the show, Haughm said some nice things and I even saw Aesop smile which was weird since he mostly looks like hes going to murder his drumkit.

Actually changed my perception of the band quite a bit.

Honestly, they've always been really humble when I've seen them, but in interviews they (John specifically) can come off as elitist and/or arrogant. I can't wait to see them again.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Insomnium is excellent and consistent. All of their albums are quite solid.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Vargatron posted:

I heard some Agalloch on Pandora the other day, and I like what I heard. What is the best intro album to buy from those guys?

I think Ashes Against the Grain is their most accessible, but honestly I'm probably just biased because I like that album the best. They are all winners, though, so just give them a spin.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Did someone say fat metal?

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Anyone going to the Negura Bunget show tonight in Santa Ana?

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWjKDSVrvDI&ob=av2n

What the gently caress. Seriously, Goon bros, what the gently caress.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
I never got into the whole idea behind moshing. I have always, even as a teenager, tried to find a place to sit, lean, or otherwise stand comfortably. I've always been a bit of a curmudgeon about that sort of thing I guess.

The only show I went to that was entirely seated was for Opeth when they toured just after Ghost Reveries came out.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I've never really understood the great appeal of "moshing". I mean, it wasn't even really a metal thing to begin with. Why it has ever gone beyond the original hardcore punk scene surprises me? I can see bands on stage getting a rise out of it seeing a whirlpool fans just reacting to their performance, but as a fan, what in the hell makes you want to roll around with a bunch of sweaty dudes? Hardcore dancing? It's lame and you look like a gay power ranger doing it. You say that you've got all this pent up negative energy you need to release? Get laid or go run around the block 5 times. Most of the meatheads I've seen "moshing" at shows don't look like they would even know who's playing on the stage. They're just there to get their "mosh" on. Maybe it just proves to be a good opportunity to grope other sweaty guys.

Pretty much this. I find it more annoying than anything else when I am watching a perfectly good show and some fat sweaty corpse-painted man runs into me at full speed. Besides the fact that I'm not built for that, it is a huge distraction from the reason I am there: the band on the stage. I know I'm boring, but it is pretty interesting seeing that there are people from both camps in this thread.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Sorry. My intention was not to come across as a homophobic rear end in a top hat. I think that I'm just getting old.

Oh no, not at all. I'm sorry if I sounded like I was offended or if i was patronizing you or anything.

And if some people are that easily offended, I doubt that metal is the right music for them :)

thehouseplant fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 22, 2012

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Nordick posted:

Well I just got the new Grand Magus album, and Jesus loving Elvis, it owns so hard I wanna eat my face. God drat.
I will be blasting this poo poo a LOT this summer.

I was worried a bit when they lost their drummer and picked up the one from Shining, but I like some of the added drum kicks. The album is growing on me but so far I think I like Hammer of the North and Iron Will a bit more. All in all its still solid

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
My dad raised me on a bit of metal and a bit of rock and roll. I grew up with Metallica, Pearl Jam, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, etc. Nowadays he listens to a fair amount of metal I throw his way, but mostly Stoner/Heavy and or just metallic stuff. He doesn't do harsh vocals, though, which has led to some interesting conversations.

On Children of Bodom: "That kid can play, but he needs to just stop 'singing' while he's doing it."

On Immortal: "Oh wow, they're like a really angry KISS with that face paint."

My dad owns :colbert:

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Anyone listen to the new In Mourning? I really liked their first album, but their second was disappointing. Hoping there is something better in their new effort.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Phasco Redbeard posted:

Y'know what this thread needs? Crazy people!
It's a half-hour of your life you'll never get back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MjcSL5218

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWwo5H-DOUw

I want to reply those so badly, but I know that it will do absolutely no good. It's 20min of flamebait right there.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Anyone have any recommendations for something in the same vein as Myrath, Orphaned Land or Arkan? Been on a middle-eastern-influenced kick lately and I'm always on the hunt. I've also given Al-Namrood some spins and even thrown Rotting Christ in there for some of the chanting.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Gorilla Radio posted:

Scarab, Death Metal with some middle eastern influences

Melechesh Black Metal w/middle so on
More Melechesh

Nervecell Death Metal

Thanks for those. I'll have to give Nervecell a listen and I'd forgotten about Scarab.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I thought they were loving horrible

Same. I want my 40min of Taurus' set back. Agalloch was good as always, though.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

I was listening to Wintersuns s/t at the gym today and man, that album still slays -- just so good!

Christ, I'll probably get poo poo for this, but am I the only one who thinks Wintersun is just not that great? I mean, they are good, he is good, but it's nothing spectacular.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

QPZIL posted:

VHÖL lineup:
Sigrid Sheie (Hammers of Misfortune)
John Cobbett (Hammers, Ludicra)
Mike Scheidt (YOB)
Aesop Dekker (Agalloch, Ludicra, Worm Ouroboros)

I read about this a bit in an interview with Mike Scheidt a bit back and it got me really excited to hear he would be working with Aesop. The rest of the lineup does not fail to impress :)

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

QPZIL posted:

Or Geographic Information Systems, at least at my job :downs:

Oh God do you work for Esri too?

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

Are there any shows going on this week around there?

There's a dozen venues within driving distance and not poo poo going on that I can see. Sorry, man, looks like you're going to have to endure the poo poo that is Santa Ana/Orange County.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Yeah I was shocked to see the new Wintersun actually show up in my feeds; I thought someone was trolling.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

henpod posted:

Holy poo poo, the Time has finally come. I still think it will be an hour of Jari farting, thus completing the largest troll in Metal history.

It could also just be a fetid pile of whale poo poo like Duke Nukem Forever was :smith:

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
New Anaal Nathrakh, Wintersun, Neurosis, and Machinae Supremacy, and Sonne Adam all leaked within the last 24 hours. :flashfap:

thehouseplant fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 14, 2012

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

TeamJesus posted:

It's exactly what I hoped it would be. Passion was a bit of a let down, but this slays.

Absolutely, I'm really liking it so far. It's definitely better than Passion was and more on track with everything else they've done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Okay, as if it hasn't been said enough: I've given it a few spins now and the new Anaal Nathrakh absolutely slays.