Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

El Estrago Bonito posted:

What bands should I look into if my favorite band is Sigh and lately I've been listening to Summoning, Aes Dana, Kataxu, Morker and Agalloch.

You're probably going to like Altar of Plagues and I'm going to check out those bands you list between Summoning and Agalloch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Nordick posted:

If I were to be forever restricted to listening to only one Blind Guardian album, I'd most likely choose Nightfall in Middle-Earth.

Every time I decide that I'm finally going to explore the rest of the Blind Guardian catalogue in more depth, I just wind up listening to NIME a bunch of times. So it goes.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Philthy posted:

They tour three times a year, and Bruce has more energy than the sun. They'll live off his aura forever.

They're not aging; Nicko just gets uglier and uglier, I guess it's a Dorian Grey kind of situation. Couple more years and they won't need an Eddie puppet.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
On the bus on my way to work this morning I noticed the driver was listening to something with proper heavy riffs (I could only vaguely hear it as I was a few seats behind him). What I could hear sounded pretty familiar, though, and eventually it dawned on me that it was Blood Fire Death, no bullshit. Hail to the bus driver!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Gr31lly posted:

Also try

A very nice list! I would add Burning Saviours and also Whyte Ash (which largely consists of former members of Burning Saviorus).

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Qu Appelle posted:

Anybody planning on going to Inferno Festival in Oslo next Spring?

I might get a day pass if enough of the bands I'd like to see are scheduled for the same day. Since our first kid was born three years ago I haven't been able to justify a full festival pass even to myself, never mind to my wife -- and the lineups have been kind of lacklustre lately, as well (but the 2012 lineup is looking pretty good so far).

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Qu Appelle posted:

If I go, I'm getting the full pass. I'm not familiar with a lot of the bands playing, but I'd like to be. Plus, I'd be on vacation.

Yeah, of course I'm local which makes a day pass more reasonable.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Velocirocktor posted:

Iron Maiden and Alice Cooper at one show is the most effective pro-elderly event I can think of

Hey, I saw that exact combo in Norway last year and what do you know, it loving rocked, the old man can still do his job. (Iron Maiden, of course, have this Picture of Dorian Gray thing going on where they don't age at all except for Nicko McBrain who gets uglier each year, soon he will be able to take over the on-stage Eddie job.)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Defiant Sally posted:

I think most peoples problems with Amon Amarth is that every album is the same as the last. They're too consistent, in a way. They never try anything new, though I dont have a problem with that myself since I actually enjoy what they do quite a bit.

I find I enjoy Amon Amarth approximately twice as much during workouts as at any other time.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

nomapple posted:

NEKROMANTHEON!

I can't hype this band enough, they released their 2nd album in 2012 but it sounds like Pleasure to Kill era Kreator, hope you enjoy!

Oh yes, heavily seconded. Nekromantheon 2012 has a pretty strong Slayer circa 1985 flavour, I'd say. Bonus points for Greek mythology theme.

A few of their tunes can be found on youtube, for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7mqWIx79jE

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

lenitic posted:

Why the gently caress have I only recently started listening to Bathory? This stuff is seriously amazing

I've been a metalhead since 1988 (I am old) and randomly stumbled across Bathory when a friend lent me Blood Fire Death in 1989. Still one of the best albums ever. Try to imagine what it was like for a high-school kid to come across that thing back then, just try.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

me your dad posted:

We had Headbanger's Ball on MTV ;)

Where I grew up we didn't have MTV. Rural Norway, no cable TV services extending to the area I lived in, one single broadcast TV station and two national radio channels, end of story. One of the radio channels had a one-hour weekly show which played hard rock and metal; I used to tape this show and listen to it several times in order to find new stuff I'd like.

quote:

It took a bit of effort tracking down obscurer poo poo before the internet.

Yeah. Word-of-mouth via friends (there was no metal scene either out in the sticks, or much of any other kind of music scene for that matter; I had maybe two or three friends that listened to metal), or pure dumb luck. One weekly hour on the radio, as mentioned. Also you could go in to town (which was not a big town) and browse through the albums at the record shop in hopes of finding something that looked and sounded cool (there was no specialty metal or rock shop but the generic record shops would sometimes carry stuff like Metallica or even Slayer, and any shop worth your business would make special orders for you once you knew what you wanted). While you were there you could pick up a magazine or two and read some album reviews and whatnot.

These days, feh, you can learn the name of a random band during breakfast and be halfway through their discography by lunchtime. :corsair:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

rxcowboy posted:

I've been on a thrash kick, listening to Toxic Holocaust, Warbringer, Vader, and Havoc lately. What are some other good new thrash bands to check out?

You might like Nekromantheon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7mqWIx79jE

Reminds me a lot of Slayer circa Hell Awaits.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Norway exports more oil than the US does for a population of only 5 million people. They have a sovereign wealth fund just like the rich Middle Eastern Oil states, theirs is second behind the UAE. Despite their massive resources they generate almost all of their power through renewable energy so they can sell it all instead of using it, which is a huge mistake the GCC countries are trying to rectify.

Yeah, what we've got is a gently caress-off huge blessing of multiple natural resources, plus responsible social democracy.

poo poo is indeed pretty expensive here, and it seems even worse for tourists because tourists will usually depend a lot on eating out, drinking out, etc. The price of eating or drinking out is much inflated over and beyond the cost of the actual stuff you're eating or drinking because it also involves paying for labour (kitchen staff, waitstaff, cleaning staff, etc) and labour is very much not cheap here. Nor is rent unless you're in a truly poo poo location. (The cheapest places to eat are all immigrant-run family-owned joints where the owners can get away with paying the workers poo poo because they're all family and feel obligated to work there.)

The traditional way for Norwegians to do a night on the town involves starting with a pre-game party in someone's home where you drink beer from a grocery store or booze from a liquor store (in either case much cheaper than you can get it in bars or restaurants), then you only go out once you're nice and buzzed, so you only need to pay for maintenance drinks. It is also traditional to sometimes get properly drunk at the pre-game and never make it out the door (even to the point of missing out on concerts you've already bought tickets for, etc.)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

The Clit Avoider posted:

I thought the traditional way for Norwegians to get drunk was to fly to a continental gig/fest

Well, any time Norwegians leave the country for any reason at all it is traditional to be drunk as hell before even setting foot on foreign soil.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Optimum Gulps posted:

Solid recommendations, but I would add Dark Quarterer. They're an underappreciated Italian band who've been around since the mid '70s, released a masterpiece of an album in 1987 (with horrible production), and just re-recorded it for the 25th anniversary. Keep in mind, the singer is 59 years old on this track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yslnrLazl_8

gently caress yes, Dark Quarterer are awesome. Saw 'em live in... 2010, must have been, and they kicked all manner of rear end.

On the thrash recommendations front, there's been pages of perfectly good stuff posted, but as far as I can see no Nekromantheon? This must be fixed. You might like this if you like, say, the way Slayer and Sepultura sounded in the 1980s. But these guys are barely old enough to shave and this is a 2012 release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7mqWIx79jE

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

John Magnum posted:

Someone mentioned Nekromantheon in this topic, right? Because holy poo poo. Even the doofy reverb they throw in the vocals is, somehow, completely perfect.

Yeah, I mentioned them just recently and got maybe one or two responses.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

The Clit Avoider posted:

Arkham Witch are pretty decent, obvious comparisons are (...) The Lamp of Thoth

Especially considering how half of Arkham Witch are also 2/3 of The Lamp of Thoth.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Coulrophobia posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations on good female-fronted metal bands that don't fall under the Nightwishy weewoo operatic umbrella?

Thorr's Hammer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWGiNLbmhs -- yes, all of those vocals are done by a woman. Or actuallly a 17-year-old girl at the time of recording.

Darkestrah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evoG7eKH4j4

Jex Thoth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzOLCBB2v2A

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

With Oden On Our Side is by far their best album

I've set more deadlift PRs to this album than to anything else, I think.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

I am not sure if this is the right thread, but eh.

When I found out Iron Maiden is actually touring within a reasonable driving distance from me (6 hours), I squealed like a schoolgirl.
If anyone is familiar with the Kansas City Sprint center, anything I should know in particular? I plan on dropping money on some good spots soon as tickets become buyable.
I'm in Arkansas and pretty much as a rule, no good bands come within 4 hours of here, let alone any metal ones. This would be my first major metal concert and I am not really sure what to expect.

Rule 1: If at all possible, buy standing-up tickets rather than sitting-down tickets. You want to see Maiden standing on your own two goddamn feet. (Assuming you have two goddamn feet, of course). It's going to be a sweaty experience so dress accordingly.

Maiden are pretty well known for always putting on a good show and in my experience the crowd is usually quite good-natured. I've seen them three times this side of THE YEAR 2000 and each time it's been a pretty thorough mix of original-generation fans and younger people -- quite a lot of father/son teams, in fact.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, but he has EVIL OPINIONS!

Well the opinions the guy not only has, but has chosen to make public at some rather tedious length, certainly suffice to mark him as a guy who it might be worth the security police's time to keep tabs on, just in case he turns out to be one of those guys who aren't all talk (especially since he's got that little bit of prior history of not being all talk). Unlike his choice of fonts they're probably not arrest-worthy by themselves, though.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Hammer Floyd posted:

And Justice For All was released 25 years ago today.

This August/September is also my personal 25th anniversary as a metalhead; started my first year of high school and randomly came across Metallica, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Testament and Anthrax within the first few weeks. Planning to spend these next weeks revisiting all the tapes I can remember from back then.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Defiant Sally posted:

Oh and also the new Skeletonwitch tape has been leaked

Oh gently caress yes, that's going to be some good gym tunes.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Killsion posted:

I think this is the first time we have agreed.

Just seems like more new thrash revival. Nothing new or interesting.

Eh, maybe it's just more thrash revival, but to my ears it's one of the finer examples of that. And since I am kind of old and first started listening to metal during the original thrash years, more thrash is a good and worthy thing for me.

That said, it's still mostly the first album I find memorable. All of it is fine workout music though.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Mastodon - Leviathan (sort of)

While we're on the subject of Moby Dick, there's Ahab's The Call of the Wretched Sea.

Going back to power metal, there's Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle Earth.

Also, Iron Maiden has been mentioned but not Seventh Son of a Seventh Son?

Oh, and Fear Factory's Obsolete, I guess.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Well, basically every time I want to broaden my horizons in power metal I just end up listening to Nightfall in Middle Earth a bunch of times, so my knowledge of that subgenre more or less begins and ends with that album. Anyone else with this problem?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Nordick posted:

One, Disney's ducks are loving huge in Finland. I mean seriously, it's not just a matter of "very popular comics", the Donald Duck magazine is a drat national institution here and the last few generations have basically all grown up reading Donald and Scrooge and that lot. If there's even the vaguest context to go by, everyone will know what you're talking about if you just refer to "the ducks". And in this country that basically breathes Donald Duck, Don Rosa is the most popular "duck artist".

Same goes for other right-thinking countries such as Norway. Given that we in this corner of the world where the duck comics are so big also have the greatest per-capita rate of metal bands, I guess it was only a matter of time before something like this came along.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Gamma Nerd posted:

Look into Tyr, Ensiferum, Amorphis and Equilibrium.

Real men also listen to Doomsword.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Lair of the Minotaur: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQu3JYU-EJo

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I don't know what you even call that 90s alternative scene thing (what does alternative even mean anymore?) but angel dust is definitely the best of it

It was my favourite album of the summer when I was going off to university. It's 22 years ago this year which means there are, statistically, kids running around now whose grandparents hadn't hosed yet. gently caress this getting old bullshit. :corsair:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Hammer Floyd posted:

I thought this approach was fairly universal. Do people in metal really give a poo poo about the lyrics?

I've been a metalhead for over 25 years now and I don't think I've ever disliked a song because of the lyrics, to put it that way. One has to develop a certain amount of tolerance for ridiculous poo poo.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Tolerating or ignoring stupid lyrics does not mean one cannot appreciate good lyrics.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I don't think I listened to much Vader before and for that I am deeply sorry, because holy poo poo.

Hah, gently caress, I've been a metalhead since 1988 and yet somehow never listened to Vader until now. But that is some good poo poo and will take its rightful place in my workout rotation.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Hour of Penance and Dark Quarterer, dude.

I saw Dark Quarterer live a few years ago. Ruled.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Every couple of years I decide to check out Blind Guardian in more depth and every time I just end up listening to Nightfall in Middle Earth a bunch of times. This has happened at least six times so far.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I don't think anyone anywhere buys CDs these days.

I saw somewhere that around here there are sold far more new turntables than new CD players now. Expect vinyl will survive as a niche product for collectors long after CDs are gone.

(The above statistic certainly does not take into account computers with optical drives -- what I've done with all the CDs I've bought during the last decade is basically to rip them to mp3 and rarely touch the physical CD after that.)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Alvarez IV posted:

I hate to ask about intangible subjective qualities like this, but what bands are best for evoking the feeling of magic rituals?

Hour of 13 might scratch that itch for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn6asFP_sJ4

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

And it goes to poo poo very soon. Serenades, the first album, is a goddamn masterpiece but holy hell the later stuff.

Well, de gustibus and all that, but at least you cannot accuse them of being stagnant.

For another canonical example, check out early Katatonia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBAuIv1tvYM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Possibly Chicken posted:

I'm gonna sacrifice 100 kvlt points and agree.

I got enough kvlt points too (been listening to Bathory since the 80s, etc) and I have your back; Rage Against the Machine was one of my favourite albums of the year when it came out.