Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

First track released from Myrath's new album Tales of the Sands!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAgpQnTBDxg

:toot:

Edit: Oh hey would you look at that, new Redemption this September as well. This year loving owns, 2011 year of metal :black101:

Durendal fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

RentACop posted:

I really, really like Dark Tranquility's Damage Done album, is there anything else out there like that or should I start going down this list and see what grabs me

Have you listened to In Flame's old stuff? Anything Clayman and before is some pretty kick rear end melodic deathmetal.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

New Myrath leaked and it sounds amazing :toot:.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Just found out that some of the new Redemption album leaked. Its a little heavier than Snowfall on Judgement Day from what I have heard, and for the most part it really sounds like a decent follow up.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

The new Myrath album is out today, and it owns. If you enjoy progressive metal you owe you self to pick it up, the blending of mediterranean/arabian music with Symphony X style prog is truly fantastic.

Myrath - Requiem For A Goodbye

Myrath - Time To Grow

Wheelchair dude is pretty :3: glad he enjoyed himself.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Don't forget progressive metal! :ohdear:

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Dead Man Posting posted:

I was just thinking this. Could you copy and paste a section and change it for Progressive Metal? And add videos? Maybe Opeth in there of course?

Here are some I can think off the top of my head. I bet some one else has more to add or better suggestions though.

Symphony X - When all is Lost
Dream Theater - Take the Time
Angra - Running Alone
Pagan's Mind - Resurrection (Back In Time)
Subsignal - Paradigm
Redemption - Black and White World
Seventh Wonder - The Black Parade
Myrath - No Turning Back

Durendal fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 22, 2011

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Gr31lly posted:

FFS. I've always enjoyed the fact these threads never had an OP of "goon recommended" lists because all lists to do with metal (including the one being made) are always composed of absolute poo poo. You are never, ever in a million years going to be able to make people even agree on what "entry-level" metal is.

Some of you appear to think that it should be things people "might like when new to the genre" - why should you introduce someone via a band you will later tell them are actually crap? The lists are laughable at best.

Nobody should be making anything unless they actually know something about the genres, and their history. Which rules out any cretin that thinks, for example, Norway is the epicentre of black metal.

nerve posted:

People gettin' mad about music opinions owns

I see what you mean, this really does own.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Secks posted:

That's horrible. I missed my chance to see them last night too.

That's to bad. I heard the show was a killer. :downsrim:

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Has any one heard of Subsignal? I just found out about them and I was surprised to say the least. This is some great stuff even if it isn't that heavy. Their new album is definitely in my top 5 for 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Izjn9XJ4Y

The lead singer and guitarist are from a now defunct band called Sieges Even if that helps any one, so I guess I need to check them out next.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Wait when did Symphony X start to get lumped in with Dragonforce? For that matter you guys didn't like V?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh :psypop:

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

I can get behind that, even if all three bands radically altered their style after becoming a little more main stream . Sonata Arctica gave up on their old sound after Reckoning Night, on the other hand Symphony X still has some old neo classical stuff kicking around in Iconoclast. Hell, When All is Lost is one of their best songs in my opinion.

Fun little story, back when The Odyssey was released my friends and I went to go see Symphony X perform in Minneapolis. We managed to get lost and asked some guys who we figured were also heading to the concert for directions. They told us they were playing at this place a little bit further down the road, turns out we asked Blind Guardian directions to their own show :downs: .

Any ways we get there and wait for the terrible opening act to get done and finally Symphony X got up on stage. There may have been 60 people there at the timeand only played a short set, Blind Gaurdian had like 200 or so people later and played a marathon of a set. Flash forward to last summer when they were doing their tour for Iconoclast, that same place was packed with around 700 people. This time though they were all there for Symphony X and it loving ruled.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

llama_arse posted:

Can one of you fine gentlemen recommend me some bands with sci-fi themed/inspired lyrics a la Voivod, Hypocrisy and The Faceless?

Pagan's Mind draws heavily from Statgate if want to try something like that.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

To Battle posted:

I was listening to Allegaeon today on a run, pretty loving catchy.

Getting old school In Flames vibes from these guys, and I like it. While you are checking out different melodic death bands, I suggest you give Orpheus a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVVjs2J3M0Y

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

QPZIL posted:

While you are sleeping
I steal your earring
Light you one candle
This anger I handle

The moment I will step aside, you're ready for another ride
Walking in the cool night air without underwear
You have red light burning in your soul, I've seen the glow

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Wow, I never listened to Insomnium before... this poo poo loving ownnnnnnnnnnns :black101:

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

IRQ posted:

I'm going to suggest Disillusion's Back to Times of Splendor. It has the German sensibilities you apparently like, along with being actual metal and some harsher vocals but not inaccessible and is also one of the best albums I think I have ever heard.

Drifter287 posted:

Seconding this so hard. This album is loving incredible.

Thirding, this album rocks so loving hard and should appeal to any who like metal. As for a recommendation, what got me into metal was this song

Durendal fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 26, 2012

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

I just heard about Eduardo Falaschi leaving Angra last week. This is a huge bummer and rather unexpected since I thought their last album was really good.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

I'm a big progmetal fan and I never got into Leperous, I hope I'm not broken :ohdear:

That new Suspyre sounds pretty good, dude kinda sounds like Russel Allen.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Optimum Gulps posted:

Sieges Even - The Art of Navigating By the Stars

In this vein may I also suggest Subsignal's second album Touchstones, also no one has suggested Dream Theater's Images and Words which is a god damned amazing album.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

A couple of my best buds are heading there, I'm so loving jealous. Kamelot, Nightwish, and Serenity are also going to be there on top of the others mentioned. poo poo is just god damned ridiculous.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

In lovely news, Simon Oberender of the progressive metal band Beyond the Bridge passed away today :smith:

I was just getting into them (they kick rear end)as my friends said some awesome things about them when they saw them at Progpower this year.

loving terrible

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Incoherence posted:

It occurs to me that they probably wrote a good portion of this album before they knew who the new singer was going to be.

I hope this is the case. The dude has an amazing voice and it would be a shame to waste it on mimicking Roy. Just listen to Seventh Wonder's last couple albums and see what I mean, dude has a set of pipes :awesome:

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Dream Theater is one of those bands that defines their genre of metal, even their worst is still better than some bands best. That said, Images and Words is one of the best metal albums ever released and I will fight any one who says otherwise :ese:.

Durendal fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 16, 2012

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Stoat posted:

That reminded me of this Petrucci parody which is just great. Anyone know of any others?
My friend linked me this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUN3yenlCGE

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

I can't provide a link at this time but Twilightning's Delerium Veil and Masterplan's Aeronautics are some good poo poo.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Allow me to introduce you to a gentleman named Russell Allen. :smuggo:

Or you can get auditory double penetration from Jorn and Russell in the same album :allears:

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

So a guy from Nashville by the name of Bob Baxter records a prog metal album... and it loving owns.

Destroyer; Preserver - I

It's also on bandcamp for name your own price, so you have no excuse to not listen to it.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

No one liked A Predator's Portrait? :smith: I guess NBC and Chainheart Machine do kinda eclipse it though.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

All the prog metal hate :negative:

Besides Images and Words, there are a few other albums that I have found to be great representatives of prog.

Symphony X - V

Pagan's Mind - Enigmatic Calling

Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time

Myrath - Desert Call

Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls

If you end up liking Images and Words, I would definitely give these all a listen.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

IRQ posted:

But the horrible DC traffic makes it so you just miss the crummy opening bands, it's perfect!

Wasn't Myrath just straight up Symphony X worship?

Desert Call has very strong Symphony X like vibes, but they pull it off really well. They really move into their own sound with Tales of the Sands (which is a great album as well) though.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

If you have never checked it out, http://www.progmetalzone.com/ is a pretty great website for keeping up to date on that particular genre of metal (this includes death/doom/etc.), and has lead to me finding some amazing music I would have never heard in a million years.

Votum - Harvest Moon that came out in Febuary for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a09404E5_Q

Durendal fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 14, 2013

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Misogynist posted:

Hahahahahahahahaha

Hey bro, don't power metal shame. :smith:

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Misogynist posted:

I'm not power metal shaming! There's just something delightfully awkward about this video. The singer is some hideous mistake of a chimera formed when Tony Kakko's creepy smile met Ryan Seacrest's creepy hair.

Did anyone tell these guys they were filming a music video before they got dressed in the morning?

Hahah I was thinking the same thing. Dude just doesn't look right, great set of pipes though.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Not Very Metal posted:

Pretty much this. A fun read at best, not really an accurate history though.

This is terrible and you should be ashamed.

My taste in music is unmatched* thank you very much. :colbert:

*at being terrible

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Holy poo poo im not the only person who liked Monster Magnet :stare: Powertrip, and other hard rock I listened to on the radio back then, got me into metal in the first place.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Anyone go to PowerProg USA this year? I heard Myrath absolutely killed it.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

How in the gently caress have I never heard of Vivien Lalu before today? I'm listening to their first album: Oniric Metal, and holy hell have I been waiting for something like this. Just some solid loving prog metal.

Their new album sounds like it is going to own as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdGYmcJR5DI

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

nerve posted:

Beyond Creation, Disillusion, Anata, Gorod

Seconding the Disillusion, their first album is bloody amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Defiant Sally posted:

~*New Insomnium EP*~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DjmQXtZUx4

It's super poppy, but I like it, and the vocals sound better than ever. I hope their next album is dark as gently caress though like much of Above the Weeping World was.

God Insomnium loving rules.