Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

What do you guys think of Black Majesty and Excalion? They are a couple of my favorite power metal bands, and I don't think they have mentioned before.

Het is correct, Threshold's new album is amazing. I can listen to "The Hours" for, well, hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Been listening to this album recently: Orvam​:​a song for home - Need.

If you are a fan of darker, heavier, straight up progressive metal, you should give them a try.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Here's the very first track from new UK melodeath band Maelstrom Aeterna, it kicks some serious butt:

http://youtu.be/2GCYo9V6FqE

Confirming that this does indeed kick a tremendous amount of rear end.

Edit: Speaking of melodeath, Insomnium is finishing up on a new CD :swoon:

Durendal fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jan 19, 2014

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

hopterque posted:

Oh god when is it supposed to be out?

No idea, but they have been posting on Facebook about it. This was from January 10th:

quote:

After two intense weeks of tracking guitars it's now my time to say goodbye. We only have few guitar leads to left, which will be finished next week by Markus. Niilo will start recording growls and basses today. I must say that everything sounds awesome and I think we have already surpassed our own expectations. I think we have hell of an album in our hands and we can't wait for you to hear it!

Cheers,
Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Have any of you guys listened to the new Vanishing Point album? Just from listening to the two songs on YouTube, it's already hitting all the right spots.

On top of that, there are another couple of albums I need to add to my queue: the new Vanden Plas, and Thoughts Factory.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Funny enough, Rob Zombie was the band that started me on the path towards metal. Dragula lead to me listening to hard rock on the radio, which in turn lead me to the local band Slipknot, and then eventually friends with CDs by In Flames and Symphony X.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

sleepingbuddha posted:

Insomnium is touring the US with Dark Tranquility next January. I'm super excited to finally see this band live (that I have only been listening to since last year, thanks thread). How are their live shows (Insomnium, not DT)?

http://www.centurymedia.com/tourdatesartist.aspx?IdArtist=474

They were loving awesome, but the crowd was not. I guess that was inevitable since most people at the show were there to see Epica. :shrug:

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Fenrir posted:

Man, that totally makes me miss the days (short as they were) when In Flames was still good.

God I love Colony and Clayman, guess I'm a terrible person.

Going to go listen to Ordinary Story now :allears:

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Just a reminder that Theocracy are good people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6mK1-5sdnM

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Bear Throne posted:

A couple of questions. First, what would be the be the quintessential Dream Theater album to get? I got :10bux: on itunes and enough "like Dream Theater" music that it's about time I got some.

Second, I was listening to Witherscape's The Math of the Myth, and was wondering if there was a band that sounded like that song in particular.

Images and Words.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Back to Progpower chat, this year's line up would have been worth going to.
  • Need (they just released a loving amazing album)
  • Orden Ogan
  • Leprous
  • Overkill
  • Seventh Wonder (playing Mercy Falls in its entirety)
  • Stratovarius (playing Visions in its entirety)
  • Withem (these guys rule)
  • Divided Multitude
  • Voodoo Circle
  • Masterplan
  • Pain of Salvation (playing Remedy Lane in its entirety)
  • Jon Oliva's Pain (playing Savatage's Streets: A Rock Opera in its entirety)
  • Draekon
  • DGM
  • Pagan's Mind (playing Celestial Entrance in its entirety)
  • Theocracy
  • Vangough

I'm going to regret missing this one for a long, long time. :smith:

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

I always thought Iron Maiden was one of those bands that most - if not all - fans of metal like, or at least, appreciate.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

I'm partial to Sabaton's lyrics.

quote:

Attero!
Dominatus!
Berlin is burning
Denique!
Interimo!
The reich has fallen

We stand at the gates of Berlin
With two and a half million men
With six thousand tanks in our ranks
Use them as battering rams

Artillery leading our way
A million grenades has been launched
The nazis must pay for their crimes
The wings of the eagle has been broken

:ussr:

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

I'm on my phone, did any one post Paganan's Mind yet? Because someone should post Pagan's Mind.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Turin Turambar posted:

Blind Guardian - Beyond the Red Mirror leaked.

It's ok, I have it preordered in Google Play :).

This is going to be a good day.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

New Angra came out this month. Anyone listen to it enough to form an opinion on it?

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Nordick posted:

Do they still have Andre Matos as their vocalist? Because gently caress Andre Matos.

Na, they have Fabio Lione now.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Hmm. New Symphony X album.

:fap:

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

As much as you guys poo poo on Metallica, a lot of people (including my self) wouldn't be into metal if it wasn't for songs like Battery, Enter Sandman, or One. Sure they aren't the best songs for a metal head of refined taste, but for angry 13 year old Durendal, AJFA was the loving poo poo.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

It's okay to post prog/power metal in this thread right?

New Myrath!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM1d7C8aOWk

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

DeusExMachinima posted:

I've liked these guys for a while. They need to throw in their local folk instrumentation more often IMHO or make it more prominent because it's great when they do. Without it they're pretty generic sounding.

I liked it when they were channeling Symphony X; Desert Call is one of my favorite albums.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

COOL CORN posted:

What Demon do I have to pray to to shift over to that dimension

Your wish will soon be granted, though It's the same universe where Fields of Fire was the top dog for years instead of Twilight Struggle.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

:stare:

Gamma Nerd posted:

Art of Life is definitely one of the best songs ever made.

Holy poo poo. Why have I not heard this before?

Durendal fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 20, 2016

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Fuuuuuuuuuuckk

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Fans of Insomnium/Be'Lakor may find this worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbKN_bSopL0

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

OpaqueEcho posted:

Shameless plug for a friends' band, but I wouldn't post it if it weren't able to stand on its own merits. I'd probably describe it as post-thrash/groove. They have a full-length out on 11/30.

http://lostempiresok.bandcamp.com/

I enjoyed this, and it also got me thinking/reminiscing about the In Flames of yore.

This may be imagetimeline, but why did Gothenburg style melodic death die with old In Flames/At the Gates/Dark Tranquility? I love the Finnish stuff don't get me wrong, but I've spent years trying to find something in the same vein as Colony or Clayman.
Was that style of metal just a product of that time and place? Or did people just get bored and moved on to derivatives such as metal core?

I don't know, but I wish I could find a band that was making songs like Swim or Embody the Invisible now a days. I guess I just find it weird that no one successfully picked up the torch after all these years. Or maybe I've been missing something obvious.

Also I bought that Countless Skies album after another listen. Good stuff.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

The new Be'lakor is so drat good, and Withering Strands is a 10 minute long masterpiece. It's been such a great year between this and Winter's Gate.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Noble Beast opened for Insomnium a couple years back in Minneapolis. Got their demo CD, it's good poo poo.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Smirr posted:

I'm currently listening to the new Death Fortress LP and it owns: https://deathfortress.bandcamp.com/album/triumph-of-the-undying The drumming is even beefier than on their previous album. It seems they got tired of people calling them death/black metal, though, because that guitar sound is extremely tinny.

Read this as "new Dwarf Fortress LP" and questioned where I was for a second.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Adrenaline Mob's RV got hit by a semi truck. 1 person is dead and several more are critical. No names yet.

http://www.gainesville.com/news/20170714/truck-slams-into-adrenaline-mobs-rv-on-i-75

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

The new Nocturnal Rites song doesn't sound that great. :smith:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=esXmQdd81ZA

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Incoherence posted:

From a completely separate genre: New Caligula's Horse is finally out. It's good: less mellow than Bloom and more like the album before it. Here's another single:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Wgxj5-q98
As a prog nerd, this is probably my AotY so far, pending some more listens. Apologies for interrupting your black metal discussions.

This owns. Reminds me of Subsignal. Thanks for the link!

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

I haven't had a chance to to listen to Myrath's Legacy until recently. Holy poo poo it's so good.

I loved Desert Call because it was straight Symphony X worship. I loved how Tales of the Sands saw them form their own sound blending progressive metal/power metal/ and middle eastern strings to make tremendous and powerful music.

Legacy is an even further refinement of that sound, and once again I am blown away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXCrHzRUdaM

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

New Angra out tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgor7ZuG9nU

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

This is some solid progressive power metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UEbe33MJx0

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

In Flames chat: I love Jester through Clayman. :shrug:

I would even say Clayman is one of my favorite albums period. Swim, Brush the Dust Away, Suburban Me, Pinball Map, Bullet Ride, Another Day in Quicksand, Square Nothing, and Clayman are all phenomenal songs.

As for modern melodeath, Insomnium and Belakor loving own.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

You guys were talking about Anathema’s Weather Systems and I decided to take a peek at its reviews on Metal Archives. Everything was above 90% except one 75%...

...and a 2%

Here is a snippet of that review.

Some loving Moron posted:

It's hard to properly articulate how bad this album is- it's quite easy to go for jokes about estrogen, or how this album could be played to cancer victims so that they can regrow their breasts, or about how this album makes Coldplay sound like Vlad Tepes in comparison. But most of those jokes are bad. Nowhere near as bad as this album, but then again, Stalin was not as bad as this album. This is a really, really bad album.

Okay then :stare:

Album owns though, and I find myself listening to more and more prog/post rock/metal stuff. Bands like Anathema , Subsignal, Caligula’s Horse, Jess and the Ancient Ones make some fantastic and powerful music.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

All these lists and not one has mentioned Disillusion’s Back to Times of Splendor. I know my taste is suspect, but I can’t be the only one who thinks highly of that album.

Right? :ohdear:

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Nazzadan posted:

Oh I had no idea Night In Gales had a new album out, their first is a classic imo

Listening to Towards the Twilight right now. Holy poo poo this is loving amazing!

Durendal fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

I've listened to At the Gtes and enjoyed them, same with older stuff like Heartwork by Carcass. I was just surprised how Towards the Twilight sounds considering its contemporaries were albums like Whoracle, The Minds I, and Gates of Ishtar's entire run.