Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008
Hey so I know we're still doing the customary first page threadshit here, but I just saw Kamelot live and wanna vent.

The sound engineers at the Trocadero in Philly are the worst goddamn sound engineers ever. It was so muddy I could barely make out the music, and then the singer was made to sound like a broken 8-bit video game. Seriously, to understand what it sounded like, imagine attaching an opera singer's voice to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A7VFxIBj84

Then imagine it being ridiculously loud.

As an aside though Alestorm was the greatest thing I've ever seen.

edit:

Sgt. Slobber posted:

recommendations

Judas Priest, Artillery, Therion, Kamelot (just not at the Trocadero), Evile, Exodus, Testament. There are lots more. Seriously though listen to Judas Priest.

edit 2: also if you like Buckethead and funny stuff you should listen to Primus.

Hey guys, can we also not turn this into a lovely "NO THAT'S NOT METAL WAAAH" thread? Thanks.

Dr. Notadoctor fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008

Gorilla Radio posted:

If you like this, you might like Kiuas. More Kiuas

Can we execute every pirate metal band by firing squad? (Or hanging, I'm not sure which the navies used more to kill them.)

Why the hatred for pirate metal?

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008
For those talking about clean vocals, you might like Colossus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMCdnPzYdTs

edit: Alestorm is pretty much the only pirate metal band I know so it's not really "done to death" for me yet.

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008
So I don't know where to post this but I figure this is as good a place as any considering it concerns a famous metal musician: You know that really lovely wanky shred guitarist David Shankle who used to be in Manowar?

For whose who don't know:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKf3OXIEPmM

Well a friend of a friend of mine, MrCameronBarton, who's also a shred guitarist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjYHeOvQkZs

Commented on Shankle's video with something along the lines of "dude your fingers aren't even matching the sound!" Shankle did not approve the comment, but instead sent him private messages in response. These are exact quotes from David Shankle:

David Shankle posted:

YOU ARE DUDE WHAT DO YOU THNK I AM NOT PLAY IN LIVE AND SOME ONE IS LINEING IT UP NOT AT ALL DUDE IT IS YOUR imagination LOOK AT THE FULL VIDEO MAN I AM PLAYING IT SHRED ON.

note the fact that "imagination" is randomly in small caps.

David Shankle posted:

DUDE I SEE YOU PLAY NO BIG DEAL AT ALL AND YOUR TINE SUCKS SO LOOK YOU DO NOT LIKE ME SO WHAT STAY OFF MY SITE THEN MAN WHAT EVER

Apparently Cameron was also blacklisted by EMG for "harassing Shankle." Apparently David Shankle is a giant baby who can't spell or type for poo poo. Or gets really really really blackout drunk and goes on youtube. Either way I hope he responds to poo poo like this often.

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Hahaha yeah I read about that on sevenstring.org a while ago. I think Shankle is with Dean guitars too which makes it even funnier.

Oh poo poo, I thought this just happened. Whelp, joke's on me. And yeah he is, Dean guitars will literally sign anyone. I also just noticed that Shankle calls his own video on his own channel: "David Shankle Insanely Amazing Demonic Guitar Solo video."

edit for grammar because apparently Shankle is rubbing off on me. :gonk:

edit 2: do you have a link to the sevenstring thread? I'd really like to see that because holy poo poo this is cracking me up

Dr. Notadoctor fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 8, 2011

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008
I don't get the hate for Koloss. I really like it. The Demon's Name is Surveillance is one of my favorite Meshuggah songs. Also a friend of mine just turned me on to Chthonic. Wow. They're fuckin great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008

CornHolio posted:

Edit: it seems this is their best-known song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ7HV5fwhkw

I don't know if I've seen such a disparity from what I imagined a band looked like and what they actually looked like. Not that it takes away from it or anything, mind you.

Dear lord, I think you've done it. You've found the worst metal video ever made! There is not a single thing about this video that is not hilariously awful and awkward as hell. The intro text is in loving papyrus for god's sake! My absolute favorite part though is seeing the really awkward and skinny guitarist wearing an Abercrombie sweater do death growls while looking in ten different directions as if looking for a way to escape the video. And then playing an out of key solo.