Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Tour got announced for Children of Bodom, Tyr, and Death Angel. I miss Tyr so much, last time I saw them was with Korpiklaani and that was one hell of a concert. CoB put on a hell of a show last time I saw them too. It's sad I have to wait 4 months for them to get to me though. The rest of this year is kind of boring on the concert radar for me though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

It's been awhile since I've said it, but Cannibal Corpse owns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKTinvL2I0w

Mr Corpsegrinder was one of the voices (The metal masked bad dude) for the Dethklok Opera that played a few weeks ago and it was certainly \m/

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

If you guys want some alternative/proggish metal, Shaolin Death Squad has all their albums up on Spotify. They're one of my favorite local bands from around Dallas. The drummer used to be one of the drummers for King Diamond, plus he was one of the drummers during the first Dethklok tour for a few stops. Their stage performance is kind of like Ghost, except they dress up in Shaolin Monk robes and wear kabuki masks. The singer has a beautiful voice and a pretty good growl and most of their songs have a nice eeriness to them, especially Intelligent Design (which I would recommend listening to first). Five Deadly Venoms is a concept album about the kung fu movie, also named Five Deadly Venoms, and is pretty fantastic as well.

Here's a song from Intelligent Design, A Story Lives Forever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsaF9HfbqnY

Save Target As fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 4, 2013

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Skjorte posted:

I've only heard Five Deadly Venoms, but I liked it a bunch. The singer is basically Mike Patton with the insanity toned down.

He gets that a lot, they're like a heavier Mr. Bungle sometimes, and they've done covers to reinforce this as well hah.

^^Bah Europe has some of the best music fests.

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

I was at the Amon Amarth show last night, it was definitely not all beer, but I really don't blame him. I'd be swapping liquor for water after a while too. It's one thing to play buzzed at a concert but it gets really hard to keep the music tight if you're completely drunk.

Defiant Sally posted:

I have been summoned. As resident Swole Dude, here's a good list of bands that provide some incredible gym tapes:

Death (Individual Thought Patterns, Symbolic)
Vader (Everything. Seriously. Start with XXV and their latest for maximum INCREDIBLE GAINS)
Insomnium (Above the Weeping World and Across the Dark)
Edge of Sanity (Crimson 2)
Amon Amarth (Pretty much the entire discography)
In Flames (The Jester Race)
Gorod (Perfect Absolution)
Obscura
Opeth (Still Life, some slow parts, but great overall for the gym IMO)
Ouroboros
Be'Lakor
Skeletonwitch (Entire discography)
In Mourning

Seriously though man. Vader. Just have a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGYB66S9SEo

I recommend Testament for gym metal as well, most of it is good but I prefer the albums Formation of Damnation and The Gathering the most.

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Houseplant posted:

Just gave the new Grand Magus a full listen and it is excellent. Much better than The Hunt and more on par with Hammer of the North. Definitely worth a spin if you can. New Truckfighters and Hail Spirit Noir are good too. Lots of new goodies this year so far.

This is good to hear, The Hunt was definitely meh compared to Hammer of the North and Iron Will. I'll be looking into it soon.

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Nordick posted:

Yeah, the crowd is half the reason why Blind Guardian concerts are so drat awesome. BG fans are always so incredibly into it (I should know, I am one) and will sing along entire songs all night long.

This is one of the reasons I go see Sabaton. Every concert I've been to, the crowd is super energetic and sings along, and the band sounds great and tight and they always seem so happy to be playing here.

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Geisladisk posted:

So.. uh... this certainly is a thing. :stare:

The Monolith Deathcult performed two of their songs acoustic, and unplugged for a.. easy listening morning radio talk show, in Iceland.

http://www.ruv.is/afthreying/orafmagnad-daudarokk-i-beinni

Look at these guys with their grandpas guitars. That's pretty cool, I like hearing metal changed into lighter songs sometimes; Hellsongs - Long Live Lounge album was a pretty good live album some some good metal covers like Walk by Pantera and Iron Maiden's The Evil that Men Do changed into lounge music.

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

xzzy posted:

I think there's a lot of untapped potential for synths in metal, but that ain't what I was hoping for.

Save us, Mick Gordon.

I can't wait to hear what he did on the Doom Eternal soundtrack.

I've heard some decent synthy examples in metal and it can be hit or miss. Depends on what you're lookin for too I guess. You could throwback to some HORSE the Band haha.. Pinkish Black has been a pretty cool dark ambient synth vibe that I saw perform with Sleep last year. Really good fuzzy background music for working to.

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

deedee megadoodoo posted:

That's when you go to the bar down the street.

This is a good strat also for when you have bands you dont like in the middle of a set too.

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Sabaton has some fantastic energy live. Their music can come across as corny sometimes sure but they def have a good time live. I saw them with Hammerfall a few months ago and was not disappointed.

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Bless you. Can't wait to Rip and Tear into that game later. I could def use more music like this that isnt full on Aggrotech.

Edit: Looks like this was released a little later than your share, if you wanted some extra content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EP-duJ9vsI

Save Target As fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 31, 2020

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Here's an alt/prog metal album themed after a Kung Fu movie, Five Deadly Venoms, by the band, Shaolin Death Squad. Pretty great dynamics in the album overall. Not many other bands the members have been in, but the drummer has an old history with several metal bands including King Diamond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Huf1j78R4

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Love it, have you ever seen any other metal themed plates before?

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Parachute posted:

theres a goon who i wont throw out there by name who has BLSTBTS (Texas)

I'm disappointed my TX drummer bud didnt get this. He is in CO now so maybe there's still time.

Between the Van and Me and Metallicar came to mind. BTVAM, MTLLIC4R, maybe ABIWILL or NKROGOB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Pretty cool it was Friday the 13th in 1970 too \m/