Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

maybe I'm a fangirl or something

I see The Offspring at the bottom of your list. Would that be the delicious self-titled album?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
From last thread.

quote:

If you like Agalloch, try The Morningside. They have two albums, The Wind, The Trees, and the Shadows of the Past, and Moving Crosscurrents of Time. There is another completely different band called Morningside, and since The Morningside is Russian, there being a The there is inconsistent. Just warning you so you don't end up with some pop CD instead. Their first album was pretty much straight Agalloch worship, with some more Katatonia in there than Agalloch has.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
For me, Fate of Norns is the most "barbaric" sounding album, but Versus the World is the only one I can listen to front to back without wanting to skip past a few songs. I cannot listen to Once Sent From the Golden Hall, and I don't know why. The Avenger > The Crusher, but the Crusher has "A Fury Divine", which is awesome.

So, I'm gonna second that With Oden and Versus the World are the best.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Vargatron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ip_Dt-yWbs
The true progenitors of viking metal...

BEHOLD THE HAMMEEEEERRRRRRR!!!!

Lightning strikes.
Lightning strikes again.
Spotlight on my junk.
Your retinas burn-en'

Also, you forgot about Viking. It has to be Viking metal if the name of the band is Viking.:colbert:

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Smash Mouth eat egg.
Metallica cover Yakety Sax.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
I was hesitant to post this here, but then I remembered that this particular punk band is hard enough for the metalheads.

Sick of It All has packed 20 re-recorded tunes into an album called Nonstop, out Nov. 1st. Released "Built To Last" a few days ago. I can't wait to be aurally dropkicked in the face by "Scratch the Surface" and "Locomotive".

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Listening to Volbeat for the first time. Sounds like Panic at the Disco vocalist had his voice run through the Cigarette and Autotune filters. The lyrics blow pretty hard, and the music was generally boring. I don't get it.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
So, I heard one uh yoo hosers is lookin' fer some thrash, eh? :canada:

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Holy poo poo. Vektor! :pcgaming:

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Vektor's Myspace says the release date for the new album, Outer Isolation, is November 22nd. Excitement.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Weaponized Cum posted:

Dragonforce, Opeth, Powerglove

You misspelled Austrian Death Machine three times? :v:

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

fatherdog posted:

I have to wear metal t-shirts because otherwise when people see my denim jacket and mullet they just assume I'm Canadian.

Laughed my rear end off at this post, and I'm Canadian. Good job.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Sgt. Slobber posted:

General question to all of you:

What does metal mean to you? Like, what feelings or attitudes does it stir up? What other things do you associate with metal? What draws you to metal? What band or album or song really epitomizes the spirit of metal in your opinion?

Like for me, I think Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power perfectly sums up my feelings about metal. It's pounding and pissed off, but it's like a battle cry.
It's about turning aggression into inner strength and confidence in your convictions, especially in the face of opposition. And of course, the album rocks the gently caress out.

Defiant, aggressive freedom. That sums it up, for me. I love the fact that metal can and does express whatever the hell it likes. Yeah, there's a billion subgenres, but they're all under the same banner. You can rock out with your cock out, murder motherfuckers with a chainsaw, go forward or back in time, into outer space, whatever. Metal offers a greater escape, and, even though it's outside, it's inclusive.

On the other hand, metal can have some pretty horrible lyrics, and that makes me run far away from a lot of bands. Drawing a blank on album/song thing.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Assuming miserable winter driving conditions, Mr. Gold died in a very Canadian manner. Reminds me of a Stompin' Tom song.

RIP, Mr. Gold. Buying your new album as hard as I can. Now who is will create Seasonal Affective Disorder in musical form for the repressed, isolated citizens of Middle of Nowhere, Canada? :(

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
So, not one of those kids scooped a free guitar? Christmas cheer is spread, but not metal madness. :(

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Hey guys. I dunno if any of you noticed, what with holiday frenzy, but Earache Records release Woods 5: Grey Skies and Electric Light as a free download on December 24th. The sendit link reached download limit, already. Found it on mediafire, though, if you're not paranoid of .rar files.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
It's 192. All the songs are about death and suicide (may be an exception or two, but none that I can recall readily). Depressing as gently caress, but I still dig it. That said, I have trouble believing that the accident was, well, an accident.

e: Also, the only mention I found of the free download was from Battle Board. So, that's odd.

Hellwuzzat fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 28, 2011

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Optimum Gulps posted:

My absolute favorite review blog by a long shot is autothrall's From the Dust Returned blog.
The Vader album that they listed as their top pick of 2011? Seriously awesome :pcgaming:

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Hey, BL13. I think I still have "Columbine Alma Mater" on a cassette tape, somewheres. :corsair:

e: Found some funky folk tunes whilst dicking around on Youtube. Skalmold from Iceland and Leshak from Russia. Got my fingers crossed for Skalmold's vocalist working on getting a really brutal voice.

e2: Nah. I take it back. Dude's barbaric bellowing doesn't detract from Skalmold's awesomeness.

Hellwuzzat fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 6, 2012

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
I know that almost all of you don't care about Woods of Ypres, but I found a Youtube comment that makes Mr. Gold's passing suck 1,000 times more.

I found lyrics for Woods six and seven.....David was planning ahead...
Esther Gold, David's Mom

e: VVV I thought it was great, but then I've been feeling low for months. Struck many a chord with me.

Hellwuzzat fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 13, 2012

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Monkeytime posted:

Is the metal community in South Africa multiracial, or is it mostly white? Are you aware of scenes in other African countries?

And do they bust out indigenous sound a la Sepultura?

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

New Lamb of God leaked.
Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Just tripped over Angist on Facebook. Blackened Death Metal, I guess the kids would call it. Female vocalist also pulls guitar duty. She sounds pretty loving savage to me, but I'm not an expert in the field of female metal vocalists.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Diggin' Austere, Grey Waters, and Woods of Desolation. Just what I need for the dead of winter in :canada:

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Viking is putting out a new album. Don't really know how to feel about that.

Hellwuzzat fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 20, 2012

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Old news from way back in September, but maybe someone that cares hasn't heard.

The Canadian Press posted:

Date: Wednesday Sep. 28, 2011 10:43 AM ET
TORONTO — Headbangers take note: the Juno Awards have added a category to recognize the metal/hard music album of the year.

The Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences -- which puts on the awards -- announced the new prize this morning.

The change means there will be a total of 41 categories at this year's show, to be held in Ottawa on April 1.

The academy says the new category will encompass a variety of genres, including thrash metal, death metal and heavy rock.

It's designed to honour excellence without regard to album sales or chart position.

Submissions for the 2012 Juno Awards open Oct. 1.

The question is: Will Nickelback stay the gently caress out of the Metal/Heavy Rock category? :ohdear:

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

blabbermouth.net posted:

"It seems like these musicians are paying their dues, making great records and they definitely deserve at least a little bit of a tip of a hat of an award, just so people can recognize how great they are," said Palmerston, who began campaigning the academy about a year and a half ago, after struggling to find an appropriate category to submit an album by Quebec metal innovators VOIVOD.

Palmerston, who will serve as co-chair of the metal committee for the Junos, says that judges will consider heavy bands from all angles of the metallic spectrum.

"Sean Palmerston"(same article) posted:

"There's a lot of diversity in metal,"
"We're not doing this and hoping that it's going to be a band that sounds like GUNS N' ROSES that gets this.
"We really want submissions across the board and for people to really open their ears to the different sonic palette of what constitutes metal in 2011."
My fingers remain crossed.
e: Ehh. Fudged up quotes. You get the idea.

Hellwuzzat fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 24, 2012

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Lord Purple posted:

I've discovered Manilla Road and Cirith Ungol recently. It is a shame they didn't get more attention when they were pumping out classic albums. Any recommendations for other mid-80s non-thrash metal that was underrated?

Found out about Dark Quarterer from the last metal thread. Here, have a ten minute, giant slaying epic.

e: Last MySpace status update, or whatever it's called, from November, says they're in studio. gently caress yeah.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Read that post too fast. Thought it said Gallowbeard. Was excited for Viking doom metal. Oh, well. For folky stuff, still diggin' Skalmold.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Mammal Sauce posted:

Oh man the new Sigh track sounds like they took Imaginary Sonicscape to hell. :woop: Official twitter linked to a youtube reupload so everyone who can't get at iPlayer can hear this.

As someone who has only heard Hangman's Hymn before this, I'm at a loss for words. This poo poo is wild. Also, Britney Spears being in the suggestions column is pretty hilarious.

e: Okay. On second click, she isn't there, but that :tinfoil: Loose Change documentary is...

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Thanks to whoever suggested Barren Earth. "Flicker", mmmmmm.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Defiant Sally posted:

Wow, Woods 5 from Woods of Ypres owns real loving hard. Makes me sad that we won't be seeing Woods 6 or 7.

Listen to this, listen to how hard this owns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNPxP-MCHyQ
Knew that had to be "Adora Vivos". I've actually thought about contacting [i]someone[/] involved with this year's Juno Awards and telling them they loving need to open the show with this song. The show is a celebration of the accomplishments of living beings, and they're kicking off a metal category, this year. Get the Crash Test Dummies and Sacrifice vocalists, former WoY members....fuckin' Ashley MacIsaac or some poo poo. :canada: that song up. Would be better than that Billy Talent bullshit they pulled a couple years back.

e: The solo on "Kiss My Ashes Goodbye, Part II" is loving beautiful at any volume.

Hellwuzzat fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 5, 2012

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Just got some signed Woods of Ypres vinyls in the mail. Turns out Mr. Gold signed his name in gold ink. Nice touch.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Hey, Canadian Metal Goons! Juno Award Nominees for Metal/Hard Music Album of the Year:

METAL/HARD MUSIC ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Anvil-Juggernaut of Justice
Cauldron-Burning Fortune
Devin Townsend Project-Deconstruction
gently caress The Facts - Die Miserable
KEN mode - Venerable

e: Yeah, thanks, Junos. Put metal at the bottom of the list. Plus, I thought this whole thing was started by Voivod's producer, when he couldn't get them a nomination in any existing categories. I wonder if they're being assholes, or if the date of the album's release was past the cutoff for the 2012 awards.

Hellwuzzat fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 10, 2012

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Tripped over this on Facebook.

Viking posted:

What happens when you take two members of Dark Angel and make a Viking album? Tsunamis. Hurricanes. Thunderheads. Epic monstrousness of the Apocolypsosity. Bass and Drums for "By the Brundlefly" are complete. ... Complete INSANITY.
Way more excited about new Viking album, now.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Openly discriminates against black people and old people, but not fat chicks. Whut? I like how he's defensive about being racist. "Well, it's not your blackness that's the problem. It's just that black people like you really just want to do all my drugs and steal my precious audio equipment. Yeah. No, I meant black people like you, not you, specifically. Though, I couldn't rule you out."

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Swashbuckle can gargle my balls. Also, "Black Sails at Midnight" and "Death Before the Mast" are pretty savage. Haven't heard any tracks from the new(er) album, though.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
So, the tracklist for the actual release of Woods 5 is different from the Christmas promo release. "Keeper of the Ledger" is wild, even compared to the rest of the album.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Trabant posted:

Distribution of metal bands per capita worldwide:
No surprise about Scandinavia, but Canada :argh:
Just obey.:colbert:

e: So, there's a band named Dark Angel and a band named Death Angel. That was confusing, but they both rock. Confusing monikers forgiven.

Hellwuzzat fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
I dunno why, but every time I see a Quebecois metalhead, I know immediately that they are from Quebec. They don't even have to say anything. I've never even been to Quebec. Anyone else know what I mean?