Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
Sorry that not everyone loves Black Sabbath, bro.

And no good albums of the year? Protest the Hero, Leprous, And So I Watch You From Afar, Sylosis, and Unearth have all put out sweet albums, and we still get to look forward to new stuff from Opeth, Mastodon, Megadeth, Dream Theater, Machine Head (gently caress you), plus whatever other more underground bands these threads introduce us to. 2011 has been my favorite year for metal in a long time, and Cynic's probably gonna drop something in early 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
Check out the video Mastodon made with [adult swim] for Deathbound.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

Efilnikufesin posted:

Why the hatred for pirate metal?

If you like pirate metal then listen to pirate metal. Who gives a poo poo if some people hate it.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

FrankenVader posted:

time for some real metal. My favorite thing about Metal was the singers.....ya know, people that actually sing....oh, and the guitar solos \m/ \m/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKHku19fQck

Rock on Mr. Dickinson..you glorious bastard

Honestly, I wish more modern metal bands did clean vocals, especially in thrash. Charred Walls of the Damned aren't great, but it's fun to hear me some Ripper Owens over thrashy riffs and extreme metal drumming. Plus I just love Richard Christy.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

hemophilia posted:

Haha, I didn't mean to make it sound like oatmeal like you say, I enjoy the hell out of it, and the genre is far from bland, but it really only does one specific thing for me.

I'll concede your second point to a certain degree, I just don't understand how metal is on this perpetual quest to be harder-darker-faster-more brutal-what-have-you, because after a certain point it just sounds like noise to my ears. I listen to metal more than any other genre, but once you start getting to stuff that's harder than, say, Kalmah and Arch Enemy (and I know I'll be laughed at for this, but whatever), I don't get how anyone could enjoy it. I realize tastes are subjective, but I was just remarking that most power metal bands seem to be quite above that race to the bottom, which I can appreciate because I don't care for it at all.

If you stick with metal, you'll probably start liking the more brutal stuff. Three years ago I thought death metal sounded awful, but I got really into Opeth for their proggier parts, just sort of tolerating the growls and stuff, but after a while I started to appreciate what it did for the music. Now I play Cryptopsy while I'm eating my breakfast. It just takes a while to overcome your initial reaction and be able to break it apart. It's a gradual transition for sure, though.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Someone should make an Opeth thread because I want to talk about how pretty I think The Night and The Silent Water is.

fake edit: it is very pretty.

Someone needs to do this.

And yes, it is very pretty. Patterns in the Ivy II is maybe their prettiest, though (it's a bonus track).

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

Defiant Sally posted:

Amazingly enough, you dont stop listening to any of the stuff that preceded.

(Also theres a prog thread around here somewhere. Opeth chat should probably go in there.)

That thread's mostly 70s prog, and it Dream Theater gets its own thread, then so should Opeth :colbert:

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

Defiant Sally posted:

Well, I love Opeth, so I'd start it if I have time. As a :spergin: though the OP probably wouldnt be complete before the album came out though.

Well poo poo, just make it anyway and edit the OP later.
Honestly, I don't care if the OP is just "Let's talk Opeth." I just want a place to gush over my favorite band.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
I'm both nervous and pretty excited to hear how the Lou Reed/Metallica album "Lulu" turns out. My immediate fear was that Metallica would try to scale back and be more hard-rocky and we'd end up with another Load, but they seem really excited about it. Since it seems like they're almost embarrassed to remember their Load / Reload / St. Anger days (they pretty much never play any of those songs live), I have to hope it'll be metal.

If nothing else, it's a really interesting concept.

http://www.loureedmetallica.com/index.php

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
Are there any good metal bands that sing or growl in German? It's a harsh sounding language as is, so I want to see how well it works in metal.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

Haggins posted:

Wanting Metallica to come out with a good album is like wanting hook back up with an ex that's been cheating on you for years. For 20 long years they've put out nothing but garbage. Even if they did come out with something "good", who cares about those poo poo bags? There are plenty more metal fish in the sea.

You never forget your first time rocking the gently caress out

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

ThePutty posted:

So, anybody have any real hopes for TH1RTE3N (god that is such an awful name)? Honestly, after Endgame I'm really not expecting much at all from Megadeth anymore.

I really liked Endgame :colbert:
or at least half of it

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
Is anyone else psyched for the new Cynic EP, Carbon Based Anatomy? I was let-down by Re-Traced, but Traced in Air is one of my favorite albums, and Focus is awesome, too.

BSchlang fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 18, 2011

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

General Apathy posted:

I think the only possible answer to that is yes! is there a release date set for it?

From their Facebook page:

quote:

CYNIC have recorded a new EP entitled "Carbon-Based Anatomy". Stay tuned for more updates, news coming soon.

Paul Masvidal describes this new EP as "both a philosophical as well as a musical journey, one that begins in the Amazon jungle on the lips of a shamanic wisewoman (as portrayed by Amy Correia) and ends in outerspace".

Tracklist:
Amidst The Coals
Carbon-Based Anatomy
Bija!
Box Up My Bones
Elves Beam Out
Hieroglyph
Release dates

November 15 - North America
Novemeber 11 - Europe

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So, a sample of Metallica and Lou Reed's collaboration has been released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZhnTY_tdeU

What the gently caress did I just listen to?
:suicide:

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
Be honest, who else discovered Skeletonwitch by playing Brütal Legend?

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

Start from Nightfall in Middle-Earth. Then, if you find it a little overproduced, move backwards to the earlier albums; if you find it a little rough, move onwards to the later albums.

I would say start with Night at the Opera, because IMO lyrics about Galileo and Judas and the Crusades are better than a concept album about the Simarillion.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
I posted this in the Opeth thread, but since we're talking about interviews, I did one with Mikael Akerfeldt a few weeks back. It's a bit long, but he's got some fun answers, so I hope you guys enjoy it. Let me know if there are any questions/answers that you particularly liked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rqh7l4BKaI

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

Revol posted:

I want recommendations for metal bands that use keyboards.

My favorite artist is Devin Townsend, and my initial thought of his recent album Deconstruction was mixed. I was disappointed it wasn't quite as heavy as I was expecting. But it quickly grew on me. The album itself is good. While there are a few songs that I simply don't listen to, the ones I do make up for it. Especially the title track and the Mighty Masturbator. I'm loving obsessed with those two songs, I pretty much have to listen to them every single loving day.

I think what's really getting me with this album is the keyboard. It really adds a lot of flavor to the music. I want more. I need more.

I have one caveat. I have never been able to get into bands like Dream Theater because they are too.. melodic? I know I'm wrong in feeling this way. My life is less than it could be because I can't enjoy Dream Theater.

For Opeth, only Ghost Reveries and Watershed really have much keyboard in 'em, but yeah, both of them are fantastic.

A lot of melodeath bands use keyboards, I guess the most obvious ones being Children of Bodom and Dark Tranquillity. If you love bombast, most power metal and symphonic black metal bands use a lot of keyboards (Dimmu Borgir, Mirrorthrone).

I don't know if everyone will consider it metal, but Katatonia's newest album, Night is the New Day, uses keyboards really well.

Not the most original recommendations, I know.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

Kevin Bacon posted:

Are there any sites or blogs out there that do good reviews for a wide array of genres and bands (barely even heard of to Metallica)?

I find that skimming through reviews has been a good way for me to discover new bands.

Sputnikmusic.com is pretty good for metal

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

Packard Goose posted:

I would but way too much of it is vehemently anti-Christian. This is also why I was turned off Slayer quite a bit :(

I do love me some Immortal though.

Give Slayer another chance; they've got plenty of songs that aren't anti-Christian. Tom Araya (vocalist/bassist for Slayer) is actually a practicing Catholic, and Silent Scream is about as pro-life as a metal song can be (and as metal as a pro-life song can be).

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
Foo Fighters won the Metal/Hard-Rock Grammy, in case anyone still gives two shits about the Grammys.

I was kinda hoping for Mastodon or Dream Theater, even though I knew it was never gonna happen :(

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
I know I'll get some poo poo for asking it, but do you guys have any recs for bands that are either Christian or use Christian themes or imagery in some of their music?

The only ones I know of that fit the bill are Dream Theater, Orphaned Land, Megadeth, Blind Guardian, Dream Evil, Antestor, and a bunch of metalcore bands.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

The Clit Avoider posted:

poo poo yeah, can't think why I didn't immediately think of them - probably because they're one of those bands that are so good everyone just brushes the "christianity" bit under the carpet.

Speaking of, latter day Death definitely qualifies as well.

Latter day Death? The same Death that wrote Crystal Mountain?

Thanks for all the good recs so far, guys.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
Although it wasn't 100% out of nowhere, seeing Dave Mustaine on the Drew Carey Show auditioning to be the guitarist in Drew's band was pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADzIigbiIa0

edit: and there was that Duck Dodgers episode where they wake Dave up from a cryogenic coma or something
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwNIABdqBxY#t=8m10s

BSchlang fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 27, 2012

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
Speaking of Opeth, Mikael quit Bloodbath

http://loudwire.com/opeth-frontman-mikael-akerfeldt-no-longer-a-member-of-bloodbath/

Not that shocking I guess. He said he was losing some interest in death metal when I interviewed him back in October, and the last time he really got into a DM album was in 1995 with Morbid Angel's Covenant.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
Randy Blythe, the vocalist for Lamb of God, got arrested in Prague for manslaughter. I guess management hosed up big time by sending the band back to a country after killing a guy two years ago.

http://exclaim.ca/News/lamb_of_gods_randy_blythe_arrested_in_prague_for_manslaughter

edit: poo poo, top of page. Um, I don't think anyone's mentioned Forest of Fog yet.
double edit: I think I learned about FoF in one of the older metal threads. Oh well, it still kicks rear end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOKLcOcVnfY

BSchlang fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 29, 2012

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

Non Serviam posted:

I'll interview Jon Oliva's Pain and Arch Enemy tomorrow. Any questions for them? (in the case of AE, it's very unlikely that it'll be Angela)

What sort of publication are you doing this for? Is it a purely music magaznine / site, or do you have some freedom? I write for a humor magazine, and I always like to ask questions that they're not expecting but wouldn't upset them and would be fun to answer. I asked Mikael Akerfeldt about telling dick jokes onstage, letting his daughters listen to death metal, and whether stuff like Morbid Angel will eventually become "dad rock". I got great answers, he seemed to actually be enjoying it (we ended up going 5 minutes longer than his manager had allotted). At the end he even said, "thanks for not being the 100th loving person to ask what equipment I use or who I'm listening to."

So yeah, my advice is that the best interviews happen when you make it fun for the subject. Think of stuff other than the bland, tired old "who are your influences", "what can we expect on the upcoming album", "tell me about your guitar endorsement" kind of poo poo that always get asked. One pretty tame question that usually gets good results is, "what's the craziest thing that's ever happened at a show or while on tour?"

Sorry that this isn't Arch Enemy specific, but I hope it helps.

edit: I feel like an rear end in a top hat for re-posting this (I've already whored it out in this thread plus the prog and Opeth threads), but in case it helps, here's a video of the interview. I'm kind of a giddy nerd in it, but it didn't seem to bother him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rqh7l4BKaI

BSchlang fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 30, 2012

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

Trees and Squids posted:

So here's a little preview of what's to come from Cryptopsy. I never even listened to The Unspoken King so I don't know how much of an improvement this is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pTvx9kNQEk

I've never really gotten into this band beyond None So Vile, but I'm glad I came across this because it reminded me of Rage Nucléaire, Lord Worm's current black metal-ish project. They've got two songs on their MySpace (how is this place still alive), both of which are surprisingly good.

http://www.myspace.com/ragenucleaire

Anyone else think it's weird to see someone play death metal on a Stratocaster?
That dude looks like he should be playing a cover of "Born to be Wild"

But yeah, I loved None So Vile and liked Whisper Supremacy, and it sounds like I'm not missing much from the rest of their collection.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
That's not the point he's making.

It's fine to not like the pioneers of a genre. I'm sure Sad Wings of Destiny was the poo poo when it came out, but I can't rock out to it because I grew up with metal that was heavier, faster, and just all-around better in every department that makes metal awesome.

I can respect the Model T for breaking new ground, but I'm not gonna drive around in one and act like it handles as well as a modern car.

I am a little surprised that a long-term black metal fan would confuse Varg with Quorthon, though.
e:fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
Well yeah, it is all a matter of personal taste, and I got the feeling that that was his main point.

Bent Willy posted:

Anyone who denies the existence of the "older and more obscure is somehow of more musical/artistic merit" cliche within black metal is not only kidding themselves, but is also the biggest kind of poser--the exact kind of poser they are hoping to avoid being.
It sounds like his actual problem is that he's been discussing metal with too many assholes. There definitely are turds who will call someone a tool for not liking old metal, but there are turds in every community. I'm just siding with his point that there's nothing wrong with your taste if the old stuff doesn't click with you.