Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Last 12 Months reflect my taste the best I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Turk February posted:

What are you talking about? This track slays like Immolation always does.

So stoked to see them on Friday, with Jungle Rot and Gigan as support.

I caught them yesterday and they loving killed as usual, especially on Yom Kippur making it extra ironic and hilarious. It was a poo poo venue (I actually had to help the sound guy with monitoring levels?) with about 20 people there excluding the other bands, but got to meet everyone which was awesome. Bob was giving Providence to everyone, it's a solid EP but comparing it to Close To A World Below is just silly. I took some HD vids of their set that I'm gonna post once I get around to it.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 8, 2011

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

The New Blotted Science EP, The Animation of Entomology, is pretty loving awesome.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Going with the Celestial Lineage love for album of the year but loving Wormrot really impressed me this year with Dirge, which was a really solid release and then their Noise EP, which I think was even better.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

gently caress Sharon.

Also holy poo poo, first Negura Bunget show in NYC in April. :woop:

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

llama_arse posted:

How are Cannibal Corpse and Exhumed live?

Both of them put on excellent shows, cannibal corpse especially. Suprising how energetic they are when most of their albums are kind of dull. If they are coming to your area, you should definitely check them out.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Oh poo poo, Swallow the Sun put out a new album, how the hell did I miss that?

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Looks like Mike Smith has officially left Suffocation. Sucks to see him go, such a powerful influence on drums and the genre as a whole. It will be interesting to see how the band progresses with Dave Culross. No doubt he is a great replacement for Mike and can do the parts, but you can always tell when Mike is on the album with his famous blasts.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

hellocruelworld posted:

I listen to a fair amount of technical music, and I often have a lot of trouble getting into tech death because every song tends to blend into each other. It may take tremendous musicianship to play but a lot of the songs are not memorable at all. I also hate obvious drum triggers and the over-produced new standard death metal sound. I really don't see the point in having a real drummer if you are going to make the drums sound almost exactly like a drum machine would.

I think that's why black metal has so much appeal, at least for me, because it's just straight up I don't give a poo poo about the production because it shouldn't be centered around that aspect and should be raw as hell. I love a great produced album as much as the next person but my buddy and I were talking about how much we admire bands that can pull off just sounding great with little or no tweaking.

For Example

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

I was listening to Allegaeon today on a run, pretty loving catchy.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

The new Hour of Penance album Sedition is heavy as gently caress...check it out. I actually like it better than the new Fleshgod album to be honest.

Edit-Oh wow I guess there are no Fleshgod members left in the band anyways.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 16, 2012

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Oh poo poo Akercocke broke up. Well that sucks they released some great albums, I loved their style of progressive blackened death metal. Words That Go Unspoken will always be my favorite, loving great album, check it out if you haven't.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 28, 2012

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

God drat I can't get enough of Disma's Towards the Megalith. It's everything I love in death metal compacted into one album.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

So a remaster of Deaths Spiritual Healing is being released in the end of November as a 3 disc set. It's probably not going to be as good as the original because they usually never are but I did enjoy the remaster of Human however.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

New Immolation announced a few days ago, cannot wait for this poo poo.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Has anyone listed to the new Coffins record The Fleshland? I enjoyed Buried Death quite a bit but I think the best thing this band has going is their live performance because they are crushhhing.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Not a big deal, he makes better albums in prison anyway.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

QPZIL posted:

The new Shining (from Sweden) album, 8½ – Feberdrömmar i vaket tillstånd is pretty awesome. It's a lot more bleak black metal and less Kvarforth crying over acoustic guitars.

That's because Kvarforth only sings like one track on this album.

:black101:Gaahl, Famine, Maniac, and Atilla each take a song on this one:black101:

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

John Magnum posted:

I only ever really got into V - Halmstad, never Klagopsalmer or Fodd Forlorare. And I never even heard Redefining Darkness. Is the new one worth checking out, then?

V Halmstad is probably their best in my opinion. Redefining Darkness was okay I only listened to it a couple of times didn't really go back to it though. I would say the new one is worth checking out though, more traditional black metal with some pretty good atmospheres. Plus having every song sung by a different person is pretty nostalgic for me since I listened to a ton of Mayhem back in the day. Keep in mind this is my first run through the record.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

New Incantation is pretty killer as usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJXUQFDOb1I

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 11, 2014

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Fenrir posted:

The rest of them are cool guys too. Oddly enough, Ivar is the one I've never met in person. A few years back though, Grutle, Herbrand and Arve went out drinking with a friend and I after the show.

This is why metal shows are the best. You look forward to seeing a band live and you end up having beers with a few of them.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Defiant Sally posted:

Hannes Grossmann and Christian Muenzner quit Obscura :saddowns:

Didn't their bass player leave too? He was the only reason why I listened to Obscura in the first place.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

While I don't HATE the new creative direction they've taken on the last few albums, it's not the same. I've seen Opeth live twice. Once during the Lamentations Over America Tour 2004 and again in 2005 just after Ghost Reveries was released. I'll leave them at that...

Yeah that is my problem as well. Opeth were great at what they did and any new endeavors they try to start will never be as good as their 2001 - 2003 years because that was THEIR sound.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Oldstench posted:

Steve Cloutier hasn't been with them for almost a decade.

I think you are talking about the Gorguts album, this is the German band with the same name. I'm talking about the Dutch guy who plays the fretless bass like a boss, he was in Pestilence too for a while.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

http://youtu.be/9_DksvX0_bk

Someone send Jari this.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

I am a sucker for Myrath's Tales of the Sands, and I am not one for power metal.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Are all the members still anonymous or whatever?

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

New Beyond Creation Songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjH8RAJBBu0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcLgFyZ-5gY

Not bad, they do get a little to technical for me sometimes though.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 16, 2014

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Augury are a lot more wanky but they have some of the best fretless work. And Cynic of course. I think Arthur Von Nagel uses a fretless with Cormorant as well, but it's not as high in the mix.

I think the bass player for Augury and BC are the same person.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

New Cannibal Corpse is pretty good. Nothing new, but solid.

Also

Possibly Chicken posted:

Volbeat is really really bad.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 19, 2014

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Speaking of 15 years old, you guys listen to the new Slipknot Knot Album? Pretty brutal.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 3, 2014

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Man, I haven't listened to BLS in like 10 years.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

HelmutVonSchmeller posted:

Insect Warfare's "World Extermination" is pretty much the only grindcore album you'll ever need. Lots of other good stuff out there, but that album just destroys.

This and Symphonies of Slackness from Captain Cleanoff.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Is the new Primordial any good?

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

I forgot how amazing Decapitated's first album is, been blasting this poo poo all day. Not to mention they were all 16 when they loving wrote it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w39lD283KEk

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Once Sauron left they got "weak" IMHO. And while Sauron completed the sound for me his new band, Masachist just wasn't the same without the writing of Vogg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqXv_H7TXEA

A shame what happened to Vitek and Covan tho. :(

If you dont know, they were on tour in Europe, their bus flipped. Vitek had to get his skull drilled open but he died later. Covan is basically a freaking vegetable now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIoW35319lU

Yeah I agree completely. Their new stuff is pretty lovely but drat Winds of Creation is like the perfect blend of technicality/brutality for me, without a lot of the noodling that a lot of bands in the genre like to do. I can't think of many albums that come close to that, early Suffocation or Crytopsy I guess.

The whole accident is really drat depressing, especially since Vitek was so loving good.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

So this band Bloodshot Dawn released an album this year that is pretty awesome. Listen to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZQ7-hJQLJo

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

I really like Herbrands Vocals (the keyboardist).

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Remember when Ice T was on that Sabbath album.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

This is the best metal video I have seen all year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByvErfImK7k