Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
I know there's a few Florida people here, so jsut to update....

The main Orlando venue, Club Firestone, will no longer be doing shows. As such, our shows got scattered all over the state. Most of the Spring tours will be at the Orpheum in Tampa.

The Cro Mags Dec 2 show got moved to Brass Mug, Tampa.
Obscura/Abysmal Dawn's Orlando date (dec 4) is at the Haven. The Tampa date is the same.
The Mayhem show got moved to a shithole called 321 Local in Cocoa. It's small as poo poo, and I honestly think there's a chance Mayhem will take one look and refuse to play, since it's smaller than the Brass Mug and I highly doubt their stage set will even fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Weaponized Cum posted:

Why can't you do your shows in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami? There are smaller venues than Revolution & The Culture room around here.

My shows? I'm not a booker, these aren't my shows. I just like it when people go to stuff so bands come back, so I'm just promoting.

Also, if I had to guess, I'd say because Ft. L and miami are far as hell, expensive to drive to and the crowd could suck. I've been to some dead rear end shows there. It's probably not worth the gamble. So there's one FL date because people will drive once and congregate, the band can probably break even and it's less of a drive back out.

If the band has a driver, that driver can only drive like...8 or 9 hours before he has to take a legally mandated break. Shows have been cancelled because TMs don't take that into account. It's what, 12 hours from ATL to Miami?

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Oh man, I don't live in Florida anymore, but I lived right down the road from the 321 local. It really is an awful tiny shithole who's usual bands are deathcore and bad indie rock. Ya, Mayhem isn't gonna play. They don't serve liquor either, just beer.

Any news as to why the Firestone isn't doing anymore shows? That was literally the only larger venue doing proper metal in Orlando.

Bitlzy, firestone decided to go to just being a booty dance nightclub and closed for renovations and cancelled all shows from here out.

However, they did buy Hoops, a nearby local bar with the intent of demolishing it and turning it into an outdoor venue, so I have no idea.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Minto Took posted:

Is Deicide worth going to see? They play here quite a bit so I was curious.

Benton's voice is hosed and he's just kind of...lazy onstage. If Jack Owen is not doing the tour it might be ok. Otherwise, Jack Owen is basically a hat rack. Dude barely could play the songs and tried to disappear into the curtains when I saw them.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Zodijackylite posted:

They have a reputation for missing shows, and they're really hit-or-miss. They used to be one of my favorites, but I lost a lot of respect for them because of the show-skipping, drama with ex-members, and Jack Owen's ties to white supremacist groups.

I wasn't quite sure what you meant, so I looked it up and came up with something that I hope you don't mean:

2. hat rack
a self-sexual act in which a male hangs a hat from his penis and swings it around in circles.
also knopwn as hat-spinning or rack riding.
Jeff: what you up to tonight?
david: well, no ones gonna be in so im gonna do a hat rack.
Jeff: niiiice! *high fives*

:stare:

Yeah, no, I meant more of an unmoving, decorative fixture. One that is useful for putting hats on.
e- promoter drama.

On a side note, Scott Kelly is doing a solo tour.
http://www.antimusic.com/news/11/dec/07Neurosis_Scott_Kelly_Adds_New_North_American_Tour_Leg.shtml

thepitgoddess fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 9, 2011

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Revol posted:

I want recommendations for metal bands that use keyboards.

I have one caveat. I have never been able to get into bands like Dream Theater because they are too.. melodic? I know I'm wrong in feeling this way. My life is less than it could be because I can't enjoy Dream Theater.

Good, cause I don't like them either. How about Emperor? Or Ihsahn's solo stuff?

Also, shameless plug, I wrote a fun blog about the 2012 releases...I miss writing metal stuff.

http://scrapyardmagazine.blogspot.com/2011/12/2012-pitgoddess-anticipates-good-poo poo.html

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Lots of good stuff this year...yeah, Disma, Wormrot, Maruta (sucks that they broke up, their final show was amazing), Absu, Exhumed, Hexvessel, ICS Vortex, bird of Habibah (ok, so no one knows who this is, but that's ok. It's one of the guitarists of Last days of Humanity and he's playing surf rock- it's awesome and on bandcamp.)

Wasn't Nader Sadek this year? I liked that too.

I think it's great that Maruta is getting so much love- I've been seeing those guys forever and they're really excellent friends of mine and my BFs. In fact, word on the street is some of the members of Maruta might do a project with my BF (who plays guitar for Possessed). So, yay!

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Turk February posted:

I want this to happen. If it happens to involve Eduardo Borja's magic fingers then I will be an immediate fan. That dude knew how to craft some catchy as poo poo riffs. Why the hell did they break up?

E- I think there was some personal business going on, Eduardo didn't play the last show. I don't know what he'll be up to next but I promise you'll love my boyfriends magic fingers, hur hur. No really, he shreds and I'm not just saying that because I go out with him and all that jazz.

thepitgoddess fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 25, 2011

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Turk February posted:

Want to get excited on a Friday? Treat yourself to the brand new Napalm Death track, "Leper Colony". It is really bass-heavy and absolutely crushes. February 28th cannot come soon enough.

I just came here to post this. I like it! Also, Liberteer released a song (Matt Widener from Cretin)
And so did Naglfar

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

QPZIL posted:

Black Sabbath just released the following:

drat :( But, if Nergal can beat lymphoma, so can Tony Iommi!

Hopefully he can beat this. If it's non-Hodgkins, isn't it likely he can beat it? :D

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

I haven't posted any interviews in a while...so here's one from Marissa Martinez, the coolest woman in metal.

http://scrapyardmagazine.blogspot.com/2012/01/cretins-marissa-martinez-renaissance.html

A new cretin? Yes please. :)

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

DEAR RICHARD posted:

The Portland metal scene loving sucks. Why can't every band here be like Agalloch, Red Fang and YOB?

yes, I know YOB is from Eugene, but gently caress Eugene

It's all either metalcore or bands that try their best to be some kind of Lamb of God sounding "death" metal band.

Welcome to every metal scene across America!

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

There's also Crackdust from Botswana.

Also, the Melvins/Unsane tour.
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2012/01/melvinsunsane_a.html

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

New Spawn of Possession track is streaming on Metal Sucks.

I like it. Even if you don't love tech death, check this out, it's not full of soulless widdly wee, I think it's more thoughtful than that.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Alcest/DeafHeaven tour.

No link, from DeafHeaven's tumblr reblog post thing.

ALCEST//DEAFHEAVEN MARCH 2012

More dates announced soon…

03.20.2012 New Orlenas, LA - Big Top
03.21.2012 Tampa, FL - Crowbar
03.22.2012 Orlando, FL - Will’s Pub
03.23.2012 Atlanta, GA - 529
03.26.2012 Raleigh, NC - Kings
03.27.2012 Richmond, VA - Strange Matter
03.28.2012 Baltimore, MD - Golden West
03.31.2012 Brooklyn, NY - Public Assembly

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

So...today I scheduled an MRI for some issue, that's not important.

I have been wearing my Wacken and Party San bracelets since 2008. They're basically a part of me and they've been a part of my appearance for 4 years. Without a derail about what a disgusting sack of crap I am for wearing non-removable jewelry for years, I ask this...

I have to cut them off. There is no way around it, I cannot have metal of any kind in the MRI room.

Do any of you collect your fest bracelets? And if so, do you do anything special to preserve or display them?

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

llama_arse posted:

How are Cannibal Corpse and Exhumed live? I'm not much of a fan of gore metal, but I might go to their show in April just because Jacksonville hardly ever gets good metal shows.

Hi! I'll probably drag my roommate up to that, just cause. Orlando and Tampa have been getting a lot of shows this spring (I assume because people know I'm leaving at the end of the year and are STACKING the shows, hah!).

Corpse is a fun live show, last time I saw them in Jville, it was a blast. Exhumed are super fun live, really cheesy gore-y fun. I just saw them at MDF and Hellfest and had a blast watching them both times- totally worth it.

Look for me- I'm short and blonde and, well, I'll be there.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

MoreMetalBrian posted:

Lock-Up and Goatwhore
(Really, any chance to see Tomas is fine with me)

Oh, and the Meshuggah, Decapitated, Baroness tour.

My best bud is doing Goatwhore's merch, say hi!

Also, Northeast, you don't get Alcest because you got them last time.

AND this is the first time that Florida has gotten a big chunk of the national tours that are being booked. Hell yes, finally. (Florida knows it's my last year here and it's trying to win back my heart)

thepitgoddess fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 13, 2012

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Misogynist posted:

Pretty sure this is satire too, or at least a joke. Like the universenumberfive and tyrannyoftradition blogs that everyone has been reposting all over facebook, even though it's obviously satire. :P

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

I don't know how many people here are Decapitated fans, but this video is making the rounds-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIoW35319lU

For anyone who may not know, when Decapitated had the bus accident that killed Vitek, Covan(then vocalist) was extremley injured as well. Since the insurance companies delayed service to Covan because the accident was in Russia, the injuries we're left to long and he was left extremely handicapped. It is somewhat possible for him to recover, but it is extremely costly on his family(E4000 per treatment, of which he needs many). Please try and donate to the cause as this is definetly a person who does not deserve what happened to him. And if you can, go see Decapitated on tour as some proceeds will go to Covan.

e- There's English subtitles available. This is pretty hard to watch at some points.

thepitgoddess fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 17, 2012

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

I kept seeing posts about a bunch of metal people needing money for various medical treatments and procedures, so I complied a list. If you're feeling generous of have some extra $$ or some time to spread the word...

http://scrapyardmagazine.blogspot.com/2012/02/do-something-good.html

This is just some people I know who need $$ for different medical procedures (cancer, etc.). These are just links to places where you can donate.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Kevin Bacon posted:

Looks like the new Spawn of Posession album has leaked.

I love this band, been waiting for this album FOREVER. This poo poo puts all that other wanky lame rear end tech death to SHAME. SHAME I SAY.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Weaponized Cum posted:

The new Spawn of Possession album is the most beautiful brutal thing I've heard in a while. Everything is on point, the guitars are crisp, the drums are triggered but they don't sound like a Krisiun off-shot, PINCH HARMONICS UP THE rear end.

Get it.

Yes. This album shits on all the hyper brutal tech death that was recently all the rage. So good. I've been waiting for this album for years and it definitely didn't disappoint.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Impiety promo release!
Woo, this is fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-32eaHpkFg&feature=share

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Weaponized Cum posted:

DEATH To All Tour!

I'll try my hardest to make it to the Orlando Date

Just saw this today too- the website is totally cheap looking, I hope this is a real thing. And I hope I can go and I hope I can afford it, OH GOD, CONTINGENCIES!
e- I will totally be at the Orlando date if this is legitttt.

It seems like someone tries to do this every few years and nothing ever comes of it, so I really want this to happen (and I'm glad Kam Lee is not involved).

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Defiant Sally posted:

Eric Grief, the manager for Death since forever, posted this on Death's facebook page himself and said that he will on for the whole tour, so yes I imagine this is definitely 100% happening if the musicians dont back out.

So if five or so of the busiest musicians in music don't have any conflicts...ugh, I'm being a pessimist. I really hope this happens. Please don't let me down, metal gods.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

On an episode of NCIS: LA They start rattling off "P" metal bands names and it's like Possessed and Pantera.

In an old friends episode, someone asks about "Carcass" for the reception and Phoebe says "Carcass with a C or a K, who cares?! They're both great!"

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Bagsack posted:

Haha, it's looking like that airline might soon be regretting this campaign a bit. Now, I don't speak Norwegian, but I do know how to count mostly and it appears that Euronymous is currently #1. I'm also pretty sure I cast my vote for the late Mr. Aarseth by clicking on the heart next to his name at http://www.halehelter.no/. At first I was imagining a 747 totally covered in black and white corpse paint which'ed be hilarious, but then I read a bit more. Apparently they're only putting an image of the winning person on the tail of their planes. I hope they use this classic if he actually wins and they go through with it.

I voted for this- NO Air is amazingly cheap, even if they do charge you for every little thing, it's a great airline if you're on a budget (and don't feel the need to consume beverages in flight...).

Totally voted, this would be amazing and give me a good excuse to go back to Norway...because who WOULDN'T want to fly on a Euronymous plane?

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

I just ordered my Death to All tickets for Orlando! I saw that people were having problems with the Orlando link, so it can be found here: http://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/109141?__utma=1.2117175078.1333145226.1333145226.1333145226.1

On an unrelated note, my bud from Sri Lanka just released a new song with a new band. IT's sort of slowed down war metal and I really dig it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejSAnjs3KNo

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Scion fest is coming to Florida. June 2nd, Tampa.

Bands not announced yet.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

quote:

so I fell in love with a band I'll never see...?

There's always a chance. With a little bit of luck, I've now seen them four times.

Two of those times were at MDF. There's hope, haha. THey play about 1 big fest a year.
e: duh

I had a few friends at Boltfest who, I assume, are still too hungover to tell me how amazing it was. Sounds like a really great time.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Work visas are a pain in the rear end. Bands (or anyone?) don't get them until ~3 days before departure, so by the time anyone knows anything is wrong, it's butting into the tour.

Also, you can get a visa and still be denied at US customs, leaving the band to be trapped in the airport until they can get home.

I keep thinking there has to be a better way...

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Turk February posted:

This is the exact reason why Martin van Drunen never wants to tour in the U.S., because of poo poo like this and the visa process itself. We suck when it comes to treating musicians. Hell, not even Malevolent Creation will tour the U.S. anymore, and they are a part of it!

Malevolent just toured the US- once with Exodus and not long after that with The Absence. This was maybe in 2011? They have issues keeping a stable line up, and well, I'll leave other poo poo left unsaid.

That too, the cost is ridiculous. I have a friend in a band from Italy and the work visas for say Russia, South America or other (non-EU) Euro countries are much cheaper, faster and easier to obtain. He refuses to tour in America because he won't come close to breaking even. I don't know how or some of these smaller bands do these big US tours. I can see getting in for a weekend or a few weeks to play a fest and do some small shows, but otherwise, drat.

E- Merzbow at Scion- awesome! I know you just sign up for a ticket for Scion but how fast do they go? I don't want to miss out on this show because I took a day off from the internet.

thepitgoddess fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 12, 2012

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

E: Scion fest tickets are now available!

http://scionav.com/event/273/Scion-Rock-Fest-2012

thepitgoddess fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 21, 2012

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Taco_Fury posted:

I'm loving the new Sigh, by far the most different and original thing I've heard in a while. Could I get some recommendations for another one of their albums that stands out? They've got a pretty big discography and I'm not too sure where to start.

Also, catching Exhumed, Abysmal Dawn, and Cannibal Corpse at the beginning of May. This is my first metal show and I'm aware this question is pretty retarded...but how would I go about meeting Alex and George? Do the musicians just sorta hang out after the show and talk to fans?

Yes. Also, George and Alex are super super nice and will probably be wandering around. :) Good luck!

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Don't know how anyone feels about Sweden's Shining, but they're doing an EP of covers and here's a new track.

http://patriciathomasmanagement.com/2012/05/02/niklas-kvarforths-shining-debuts-track-from-upcoming-covers-ep/

It's not the Shining I fell in love with, but I do really like it.

Also, the Behemoth/Watain/Decibel tour was amazing and Nergal looks great! See it if you get a chance. :)

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

QPZIL posted:

Any of your brothers going to the Decibel show in Charlotte NC tomorrow? I can't get any of my friends to go see Watain with me. Something about animal parts bugs them out.

Actually, a friend that saw the tour last week told me that Behemoth asked them not to use any animal blood on this tour, just some body parts here and there. Wonder if that's true.

They didn't have a whole lot, maybe some heads, but not blood, just paint.

They still smell a little, but not as much. Or the venue we were in was just kind of big.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Two dynamic German forces have merged to co-headline a North American Teutonic Terror Attack in the most high-powered touring bill of 2012: KREATOR and ACCEPT.

Opening the 23-show trek through the U.S. and Canada will be Finland’s Swallow The Sun.

Dates for the ACCEPT / KREATOR Teutonic Terror Attack 2012 tour are:

09/05/12 Howard Theater – Washington, D.C.
09/06/12 The Trocadero – Philadelphia, PA
09/07/12 Best Buy Theater – New York, NY
09/08/12 The Palladium – Worcester, MA
09/10/12 Metropolis – Montreal, QC – CANADA
09/11/12 Imperial de Quebec - Quebec City, QC - CANADA
09/12/12 Phoenix Concert Theatre – Toronto, ON - CANADA
09/14/12 Newport Music Hall – Columbus, OH
09/15/12 Mojoe’s – Joliet, IL
09/16/12 The Beaumont Club – Kansas City, MO
09/18/12 Gothic Theater – Englewood, CO
09/19/12 The Complex – Salt Lake City, UT
09/21/12 Rickshaw Theater – Vancouver, B.C. – CANADA
09/22/12 Showbox at the Market – Seattle, WA
09/23/12 Roseland Theater – Portland, OR
09/25/12 The Grand Ballroom – San Francisco, CA
09/26/12 The Avalon – Hollywood, CA
09/27/12 The Grove – Anaheim, CA
09/28/12 Marquee Theatre – Tempe, AZ
09/30/12 Emo’s East – Austin, TX
10/01/12 Trees – Dallas, TX
10/02/12 House Of Blues – New Orleans, LA
10/04/12 Tremont Music Hall – Charlotte, NC

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Seen: my handle. I love to mosh. I'm a 5'4 girl and I just...it's just fun. I've never really had problems with getting groped, although I've heard horror stories. I have been elbowed in the face (on accident and on purpose). I've gotten into fights. Circle pitting to Kreator at Wacken was one of the coolest experiences of my life and tiny shows, like Magrudergrind at Transistions of Chruchill's is just too much fun not to go nuts. There's a certain pit etiquette and camaraderie that I've never experienced anywhere else.

e- Hardcore dancing, the flingy kind, looks stupid and hurts innocent bystanders. And kicking and punching is really a big no-no.

Because I'm short, I like to stand in the back of the pit, because I am in control of my space (no overcrowding like up front!), I can get out if I need to pee or get a beer and it's the only place I can see over everyone. I usually end up shoving some people around. I can understand why people don't like to mosh, but shows here seem to always have some kind of upper floor area/upstairs/other place to stand that's out of the way of flying people.

Now that I've been going to shows for almost ten years, my knees are hosed...sometimes I feel a little moshed out. But for a really great show, I will totally run around in a circle/push pit and shove some people.

All that said, I really came here to post a blog I just wrote about Americans going to Euro fests. I've had people ask me how I've done it, so I finally wrote it all up.
http://scrapyardmagazine.blogspot.com/2012/05/pitgoddess-guide-to-fest-going.html

Edit again: I don't know if there's any Ihsahn solo fans, but there's a new solo song called The Paranoid and you can google for it. I had a link, but I guess :filez:

thepitgoddess fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I love Ihsahn's solo work, and this song is great, but you might want to find another link that's not :filez:

I didn't even notice. Well, seeing as how it's the only link, I guess I'll have to take it down.