Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

There's no way they can go on without Brockie. I mean, they can try, but it just won't be the same. His voice is so unique and is such a big part of their sound that some dude with a generic metal voice would ruin it.

He's also, for lack of a better way of putting it, the creative/artistic director behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

me your dad posted:

Does anyone know of any kid's Mastodon shirts? My friend's eight year old boy has a birthday coming up and he's into the band, by way of his dad. I checked their site but it doesn't look like they come in kid's sizes.

Try a men's small here http://www.rockabilia.com/browse/artists-groups/m/mastodon.html?apparel_type=577

Sorry. It's the best I could find.

In other merch chat, check out this swank-rear end Melvins hoodie, everybody

http://www.merchaye-revolve.com/product1/melvins-three-skulls-mens-black-zip-up-sweatshirt

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Melvins are doing a new record with Paul and JD from Butthole Surfers, coming out this fall. Also a small tour.

http://www.metalinjection.net/upcoming-releases/the-melvins-joined-by-butthole-sufers-members-for-new-album-fall-tour

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I remember thinking when I was younger that it'd be great if GWAR outlasted KISS (I really hate KISS, mainly because Gene is loving loathsome), but if everyone involved is being treated like shot, gently caress it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Loses points for not having him say "Metallica" in that really weird high pitched way he sometimes does at live shows. Jim Breuer used to have a bit making fun of him for it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Defiant Sally posted:

I'm fairly certain that noted World of Warcraft player and goony motherfucker George Fisher does not take his job that seriously. Cannibal Corpse is awesome for what it is. I hope you both get Followed Home Then Killed.

I was listening to a streaming metal station once and he introduced a live version of "hosed with a Knife" as being "one for the ladies". I think there's at least some self-awareness there.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I mean that Decibel list isn't incredible, but there's some good, respectable acts on there. The Revolver one is just full of hot garbage that nobody will be into 18 months from now (with a few exceptions).

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 20, 2014

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Not sure if it's cool to ask here, about this but there are two books about extreme metal I'm interested in

-Lords of Chaos
-Choosing Death: The Improbable History of Death Metal and Grindcore

Also, if these books suck, are there any other good books about extreme metal?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ChickenArise posted:

We need the 50-60 guys from every Slayer show who do nothing but yell SLAYYERRRRRRR during the opening band to weigh in ITT

Unfortunately they do a lot worse than that. Some bands get rocks and glass bottles thrown at them. I mean, I get it:You're here to see Slayer. But show some goddamn respect, y'know?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

Or just show up later.

Exactly. I've never understood the impulse to get to a show in time for an opener if you're gonna ignore them or be rude if you don't dig them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ChickenArise posted:

When I went to Ozzfest 98 in San Antonio (a very metal-loving city, somehow), they haaaaaaaaaaated Primus. Just all heckling and flying bottles (and it had nothing to do with them having just released Antipop).

That's unfortunate because Primus are supposed to be quite fun as a live band.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I would say Slayer's a good starter band if you're looking to get into metal.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

ftfy

Calling something a good starter band is not actually a backhanded compliment hth

I actually mean it as a compliment! There's nothing wrong with being the band that gets a person into a genre.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It's not super complicated for me: I'm capable of liking metal and other genres with dumb lyrics, but if they have something personal to the writer or something I can relate to, it's a nice bonus.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Lamb of God are the new Pantera in the way that matters most.

If I witness five fat racist pieces of whitetrash abusing an Indian guy on a train loudly and relentlessly for being foreign late at night, they used to wear all be wearing Pantera shirts. Now they're all wearing Lamb of God shirts.

This makes me sad for 2 reasons:

1) I like Lamb of God
2) Randy Blythe does not encourage that kind of poo poo to my knowledge, he seems pretty progressive and such (regardless of how you feel about him killing the guy accidentally)

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 2, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Which is funny because I saw Pantera live with Morbid Angel and Slayer ages ago (whenever that tour was) and Phil came out on stage and said "For all you skinheads out there, 88 baby"

so yeah

I don't know what that means. Although considering the source (Phil, not you), I'll assume it's not good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Turk February posted:

The eighth letter in the alphabet is H.

88 = Heil Hitler.

Just wait until you're introduced to the lunacy of 14 Words. 14/88!

Ugh.

Jesus Christ. You know, the worst part is, there's really only 3 possibilities here to explain this:

1)Anselmo buys into that crap.
2)He doesn't but panders to them anyways, which is arguably worse
3)He was REALLY high (best case scenario)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

AzureSkys posted:

I've had Grimoire -"L'aorasie des spectres rêveurs" on repeat all week and can't get enough of it. It's a one man band release, atmospheric-black metal from Quebec. It's not the most metal description, but I've it found hugely uplifting. I only wish it was longer. There's an earlier 2011 release that's quite great, too. Reminds me a bit of Petrychor and Agalloch.
http://records.eisenton.de/album/laorasie-des-spectres-r-veurs

Didn't know if I should post it here or the black metal thread, so feel free to cross-post there if someone desires.

And here's a guy's review, but it's 12 minutes so just go listen to the 24 minute EP instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DI1VV1DT2U

Thanks for this, I've been trying to expand my metal horizons lately and this scratches an itch I didn't know I had.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What are the best Suffocation albums?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What do you guys think of the new High on Fire?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

lol @ these comments.

I guess he's not aware Fugazi never sold merch. It was kind of something they were known for. Also how much crossover is there between Fugazi fans and people who go to MDF? I'm guessin' not much.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 11, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Scrambles posted:

Ne Obliviscaris is coming to America!

as support for cradle of filth and goddamn butcher babies
https://www.facebook.com/NeObliviscarisBand/photos/a.190683169897.125608.8216149897/10153664857874898

.....that's a unique bill, I'll say that.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Ok, Cradle of Filth plays Feb 28th in MN on my bday.... I think a road trip down from Winnipeg is in order. And VIP is only $79 to meet em all --- just $21 for a reg ticket.

Mill City Nights the venue?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What would the metal aoty candidates be?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Also I just found out that Killing Joke put out a new record, was it any good?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Gonna try to attend that Melvins/Napalm Death/Melt Banana show in Minneapolis in April.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 2, 2016

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Metalsucks wrote an editorial about it and the comments are a real treat

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

muike posted:

everything after master of puppets is a waste of time

e: nah ajfa is still ok

I think the Black Album is mostly pretty good, and Load and Reload would be fine as one record with best stuff from each making up the tracklist. But St.Anger is loving awful, and Death Magnetic is just straight up BORING.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

Sebastian Bach decided to tweet against Phil Anselmo today.

Queue people tweeting this old photo of him:

:stare:

I mean I realize that pic was probably taken when that kinda thinking was a bit more common, but holy gently caress.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

They're also releasing a Free-To-Play game. It'll probably be nothing but microtransactions, and that pisses me off. I'd sincerely pay a few bucks for just a normal game featuring Eddie... why make it some lovely pay to win crap? :(

Didn't one of their albums have a PC FPS starring Eddie in the 90's?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How's the new Fallujah album?

Also, Napalm Death totally won over my non-metal loving friends because of Barney's charm and stage presence. And they loved the Melvins.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MrBling posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmIFiK_8Rjo

Here's some pretty cool mid-paced Polish black metal that isn't full of nazi stuff.

I read a good article about a black metal band that vocally reject the whole National Front/Nazi thing the other day, are these guys any good?

http://noisey.vice.com/en_ca/blog/ancst-interview-moloch

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

I want more holidays in cambodia and less of whatever happened to dave mustaine.

Funny you mention this since the Dead Kennedys that are touring sans Jello have apparently praised Republicans and the war in Iraq on stage. What a joke they've become. I initially though it was just Jello slinging mud but had it confirmed by two people who went to DK shows.

Completely unrelated, but is GWARBQ ususally worth it?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 18, 2016

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Corrosion of Conformity and Kyuss come to mind. They're kind of Stoner Rock-ish, but there's a bluesy influence in both. Also, Clutch, particularly the album From Beale Street to Oblivion.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Don't know if there's much interest in this, but I was turned onto a cool cover record. A funk band called Brownout from Austin recorded a bunch of Black Sabbath songs and funked them up a little. I actually think it worked pretty well. Here's the link

https://brownout.bandcamp.com/album/brownout-presents-brown-sabbath

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

I ran across that a year or two when it dropped and yeah, it's pretty sweet. I particularly like their version of the Wizard.

I think my favorite so far is their version of N.I.B.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 31, 2016

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

comes along bort posted:

There was some interview with Vinnie Paul a couple years ago where he said that he pretty much does the Hellyeah stuff to go on the road whenever he gets bored since his actual income comes from his nightclubs.

I imagine he still gets a fair amount from royalties and merch, as well. I mean, Pantera records have probably sold about as much as they're gonna sell, but I still see people wearing Pantera shirts all the goddamn time.

It's funny, for a long time I assumed I was missing something with Pantera because I didn't much like them, but the more people I meet, the more I think that the people who like them just severely overrated them because they'd never heard something as heavy as I dunno, Drag the Waters before. Then again, I've noticed around here that any band that puts pot leaves on their merch has some degree of popularity, and people around here inexplicably love GG Allin.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NonzeroCircle posted:

LD50 is certainly worth a spin or two. This diminishes as you move through more recent albums. First album is sorta like Primus on bath salts, lots of insane slap bass but with Corey Taylor vocals, then later albums are like Disturbed with ADD

Not gonna lie, that sounds amazing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

symbolic posted:

I'm getting a "90s video game developer" vibe from this.

It reminds me of all those terrible macho clothing lines from the 90's like No Fear and No Surrender that would have crap like "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog that matters!"

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Aside from Lemmy, are there any decent metal documentaries?

Also, someone should make one about Napalm Death. Pretty loving interesting band history, and the frontman is bright, interesting guy.