Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
I just heard the new ICS Vortex album, and it sounds like Enslaved fronted by Geddy Lee. You might like it, though there are no black metal vocals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Qu Appelle posted:

I like Enslaved. I like Geddy Lee. I may have to check this out. How is Asgeir's drumming?

I'm not familiar with the guy's body of work, but I feel it's pretty appropriate for the material. Very rock n' roll style of writing while remaining on and not behind the beat. I guess you could call it clinical but it strikes me as more not-sloppy. The drum sound, like every other instrument, is pretty highly compressed. Overall I dig the album.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There is really a metal band named Treblinka? Classy.

http://www.metal-archives.com/search?searchString=auschwitz&type=band_name
http://www.metal-archives.com/search?searchString=sobibor&type=band_name
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Chelmno/24326
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Belzec/6435
http://www.metal-archives.com/search?searchString=birkenau&type=band_name

And these are just the extermination camps!

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Radio Paranoia posted:

The whole band relocated to the states this month as part of some sort of musician "refugee" movement - which I don't really agree with but whatever. v:v:v

Can you elaborate on this? I can't imagine them qualifying for actual refugee status (they're from South Africa, not Zimbabwe or Syria), so are you referring to some sort of "everyone move to the States" movement?

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

You're referring to Senator Rick Santorum aren't you.

So is the fluid.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

QPZIL posted:

and, to a lesser extent, Year of the Goat (though I'm getting tired of them).

Do they have anything besides Lucem Ferre? I really enjoyed that this year.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

fatherdog posted:

They actually brought their own sound system for the show. The speakers looked like the monolith from 2001, they were like seven feet tall and four feet wide.

Things I never thought I would hear that I heard at this show -

The sound of a guitar string being ripped out of a guitar while it's still plugged into an amp

A man playing Flight of the Bumblebee on a bass guitar

Did the show also feature Joey DiMaio going the gently caress off on the promoter/false metal/true metal/his bass tech? I swear he ranted for the better part of 20 minutes when I saw them and that alone was worth the price of admission. It's a shame they don't tour more in the US, I don't get it.

Sadly, they no longer offer the 5-lb Manowar chocolate bar on their website. My all-time favorite piece of merch.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

moribund cult posted:

Hail All MORIBUND CULT Supporters!

Please find our November Mail Order / Armory webstore update with 25% discount sale offer, new items, re-stocks and label news below.

Free Audio Streams and Downloads at https://www.moribundcult.com
BLACK (METAL) FRIDAY SALE!! 25% DISCOUNT SALE !!!
We are offering a 25% discount on all CDs, LPs, T-shirts and Longsleeves!
Sale begins November 24th and ends on December 1st!

Sale code: Black Metal Friday

All orders receive a FREE 18" x 24" or 11" x 17" poster!! (selected at random)
All orders $35.00 and over receive a FREE / promo CD!! (selected at random)

Not bad, but they don't update their website frequently enough. The last time I ordered from them it was a ten-email back and forth to figure out what they actually had in stock.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

QPZIL posted:

Inquisition is playing a last minute off-day show at a dive bar near me on Monday :stare:

By all means, go. I saw them yesterday in a room that was probably twenty yards square and they absolutely killed it. I had no idea it was only two guys; the sound was full and it would seem that the record required little overdubbing, which is shocking. I was also able to verify that the bizarre robo-Abbath vocal delivery is done without any kind of processing.

e: $5? Get outta here.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

QPZIL posted:

I was told this is an off-tour-date show - did they have merch? I want to give them all my money.

They were selling the double splatter vinyl "tome" editions of "Ominous Doctrines..." and "Into the Infernal Regions..." that Hells Headbangers put out this year and one rather poorly printed t-shirt that I bought anyway. There was some sort of distro guy responsible for their stuff who was selling vinyl and CDs, but I'm not sure if he was with them for the tour or just in charge of their poo poo for that night.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

the yeti posted:

Wish tremont wasn't such a dump, but I'll be tempted for this.

I just saw Arkona at Jaxx in Alexandria VA (a dump, what a dump) and they were amazing. If you're on the fence at all, go.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Hellwuzzat posted:

Hey guys. I dunno if any of you noticed, what with holiday frenzy, but Earache Records release Woods 5: Grey Skies and Electric Light as a free download on December 24th. The sendit link reached download limit, already. Found it on mediafire, though, if you're not paranoid of .rar files.

Thanks. I was pretty bummed that I never got to see Woods live.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Radio Paranoia posted:

I was planning a big effortpost about SA metal for when a friends' band in Durban released their album, but it's apparently fallen through so I should probably go ahead and do it now. Well, on Monday when I'm back at work.

That said, the majority of the local scene is filled with metalcore poo poo, but there are some real diamonds hiding out here. Anybody interested?

I'd be quite interested. There was a post/black metal band that you or another SA goon posted here a while back-- they had just changed their name I believe, but they were really good.

Is the metal community in South Africa multiracial, or is it mostly white? Are you aware of scenes in other African countries?

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Meclin posted:

Has anyone caught the newish show "Metal Evolution" on VH-1 Classic? It is an expansion of the documentary A Headbangers Journey. The host is a Canadian headbanging sociologist. I was unaware of the European power metal scene, besides Malmstein, and they did a whole episode on the genre recently. I have been listening to Nightwish an embarrasing amount of time since hearing them on the show. Any suggestions of other big power metal groups to check out?

Hammerfall, Demons and Wizards, Dragonforce in ascending order of hilarity.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

nerve posted:

This leaked btw, it's awesome

Seconding this, the new Sigh is amazing. It's all over the place but in a very focused and controlled way-- the writing is just excellent.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

primitive posted:

I picked this up at my local on blood red vinyl yesterday.

It ownnnnnnnns

Who released it on vinyl? I didn't see anything about it on the Candlelight Records website.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

QPZIL posted:

It's out on Back on Black.

Weird, I thought they only did reissues. Although now I see they did the latest Absu record as well.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Turk February posted:

Marduk

A few people have bagged on Marduk for being pretty same-y and boring, but goddamn do they put on an awesome and professional live show. I've seen them twice and they were great both times.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Just heard about that Marduk show today -- like most here I assume, they were one of the first BM bands I got into. Mainly for their "gently caress Me Jesus" ep. :3:

Them and 1349 should be a nice night.

drat, they're playing with Withered and Weapon. Should be awesome.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
A friend recommended a band called Hopelorn to me yesterday and they're pretty great. It's basically Swedish d-beat crossed with a fairly traditional black metal sound (Avsky, Sargeist, and Taake came to mind at different times), but it's executed superbly. You can download their album for free at their Bandcamp page.

I also just love the vocals. Can anyone recommend anything similar? I know they're not the first blackened crust band to exist but there is some particular je ne sais quoi about this.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

QQmore posted:

Anyone hear of An Autumn for Crippled Children?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUpOl8wWSHQ

I liked both their albums quite a bit, but beware to those who hate depressive black metal. My love for them and my love for bands like Sunny Day Real Estate or Mineral comes from the same place, I think.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Killsion posted:

Portal seems to be too complicated and deep for you if all you think of it is as buzzing noises.

Either you're trolling or you totally missed his point about being dismissive. Or maybe tech death is too complicated and deep for you if all you think of it is as "hurf durf."

Not the biggest tech death fan in the world but come on man.

e: sorry about the doublepost

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Killsion posted:

I take it you guys hate Dodecahedron too? On first listen they didn't do much for me but I'm digging it more on each listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vspWVrMy8CE 4:35 hits like a truck.

Also the new Sigh is definitely album of the year material.

How have I never heard of Dodecahedron? That track is great.

I, like many here, got really excited about the new Sigh but it's just not holding up to repeated listens. It's the same feeling I had with the Mars Volta-- you hear all of this amazing stuff the first time, but there are few subtleties to be appreciated over repeated listens. I will say this, though-- I'm going to have to add Shinichi Ichikawa to my short list (J. Mascis, Doug Martsch, Matt Johnsen (Dawnbringer)) of guys that I can listen to wank on guitar all day.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Turk February posted:

I am going to come to your house and poo poo in your mouth, you mother fucker.

I don't mean to break up the textual slap fighting, but I would like to bring your attention to a brutal death/grind band from Sacramento, CA called Plague Widow. They play a style of discordant brutal death metal that is sometime reminiscent of Wormed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUNHufICeJ4

They released their debut EP a couple of weeks ago and I have been playing it non-stop. You can buy the EP for $2, which is a drat good deal.

Plague Widow are loving great. This is supposed to get pressed to vinyl next month, the same label that did the CD version is doing it.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Misogynist posted:

Because the country thing worked out so well for In Flames

Well the banjo itself worked out for Taake and Panopticon, but I don't see more extraneous instruments making Sonata Arctica more palatable.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
Lots of great recommendations here, but for grind I'd add Infanticide (the Swedish one), Pig Destroyer, and Mumakil (Customized Warfare especially). Someone mentioned Immortal earlier-- their whole catalog is great but Damned in Black and Sons of Northern Darkness have that more straight-ahead mid-paced vibe that Amon Amarth does so well. For symphonic black metal, you really can't beat Emperor (the later stuff will appeal to you more if you're a Dimmu Borgir fan).

Also, has anybody else been listening to the new Cattle Decapitation? I liked the band to begin with but Monolith of Inhumanity is leaps and bounds better than anything they've ever done.

e: I think it's been mentioned earlier but the new Black Breath album, Sentenced to Life, absolutely rips. It's more on the death n' roll side but goddamn is it angry.

Monkeytime fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 25, 2012

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I took my son to see Rush last summer. He mostly sat there and played his DS. He'll rock out to AC/DC and loves Phil's scream that begins "Great Southern Trendkill," but he's mostly into stuff like Pitbull and Lady Gaga. Oh well.

Dad chat.

My son loves the new Borknagar album. I think it's OK, but he won't let me turn it off in the car. He's 3. He mostly loves female vocalists, and in that vein has anyone been listening to the new Jess and The Ancient Ones album? It's very good clean vocals/female fronted-'70s occult rock. Fans of Jex Thoth/Sabbath Assembly take notice.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

BjornOfBorg posted:

Hadn't heard of this band before but since I do really like Jex Thoth and Sabbath Assembly, I'll have to give it a spin. This reminds me a lot of The Devil's Blood, but with organs. You might also like Castle and Year of the Goat, both on Van Records.

E: Also, wanted to remind people of my question earlier, which may have gotten drowned out by the dad chat. Would you buy CDs if it's just the CD and booklet, no inlays and jewel cases?

Year of the Goat is awesome and I dig that Castle track, thank you. I noticed Year of the Goat has a new 7" out on Van which I'd order if I wasn't broke, apparently their full-length is now slated for a late summer release.

Regarding the CD question, I guess I would if we were talking $1-2 a CD, I rarely buy CDs at all anymore though.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
My favorite "shouty" band right now has to be Black Breath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i42ffpQFHZY

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

The Clit Avoider posted:

The t-shirt is not official by Slayer, it is not "a metal t-shirt" and it is not band merch. It's a print by sub-label of a high street fashion label who print music and pop culture brands onto t-shirts to sell to teenage girls via an in-house deal with Topshop (who's owner, Philip Green, just happens to be Jewish).

I know we're all bitter, jaded and cynical trve metal warriors :rolleyes:... or alternatively immature, shallow and affecting a lassez faire attitude, but the reality of the matter is that that's a highly offensive print that happens to also contain the logo of an extremely well known metal band who've had to fight off contentions of nazi fandom in the past. And it's been done in the name of making money from teenagers who have most likely absolutely no idea who the band are or what they sound like.

If you can't see why that's a valid item for discussion (at the least), you're either brain dead or legitimately a psychopath.

Slayer might be being exploited by having unlicensed merch being sold, but the Totenkopf is certainly not sullying their good name, especially when it comes to Jeff Hanneman:

And introducing the "Jeff Hanneman Series" pearl fretboard inlays:

After the 12th fret, they switch from totenkopf to two side-by-side sig runes, or SS bolts. So it's not insulting to Slayer to associate them with Nazi iconography when they do it themselves all the time.

Having said that, a giant swastika with "slayer" written across it might be crossing some sort of line

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
I'm listening to the new Bosse-de-Nage, soon out on Profound Lore. It's somewhat post-black but very, very engaging. As a whole, just wonderful. I'm still on my first listen but goddamn, this album is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VawC2gpjy9k

Monkeytime fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 6, 2012

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Today, one of my few live human friends introduced me to Abominable Putridity. They are very much not my thing, but you might like them!

Far and away the best slam album of the year.

Also I know they're a joke band but I would love to see the Grindfuckers live.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
Sonar is shut down for good, and unfortunately a lot of the middle-tier shows (too big for the Ottobar, too small for Rams Head) are skipping town entirely.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

To recap:

Updated list of confirmed bands for MDF XI:

!T.O.O.H.! (Czech Republic)
ABIGAIL (Japan)
AHUMADO GRANUJO (Czech Republic)
AMBASSADOR GUN
ANHEDONIST
ANTAEUS (France)
AOSOTH (France)
ASTHMA CASTLE
BENEDICTION (UK)
BOLT THROWER (UK)
BROKEN HOPE
CARCASS (UK)
CARPATHIAN FOREST (Norway)
CONVULSE (Finland)
CRUCIAMENTUM (UK)
EXODUS
GLORIOR BELLI (France)
GRIDE (Czech Republic)
IHSAHN (Norway)
INGROWING (Czech Republic)
INIQUITY (Denmark)
INTEGRITY
KOMMANDANT
LOSS
MANILLA ROAD
MIDNIGHT
MORGION
PAGAN ALTAR (UK)
PELICAN
PENTAGRAM
PIG DESTROYER
REPULSION
REVENGE (Canada)
RIGHTEOUS PIGS
SLEEP
SPEEDWOLF
VENOM (UK)
VINTERLAND (Sweden)
WEEDEATER

Also, has anyone been listening to Mgła? Their latest album may be the best black metal record released this year. Traditional stuff, but so well executed. I didn't think I'd ever describe a BM drummer as "laid back in the cut," but this guy drives the tracks without ever becoming frenetic or off-beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcqC4jtrR9Y

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What are some more bands like Mgla and Taake that just do that kind of formulaic 90s norwegian stuff, but do it well? In both Mgla and Taake's case I really like the production, too.

These days it feels like everybody wants to be DsO and all I want is to get drunk and listen to songs about forests and moons and fogs.

Horna and Sargeist are both in that vein, and both share principal songwriter Shatraug.

Sargeist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7DMl_wsKPo

Horna:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBJnadNLgx8

I'd love to hear any other suggestions as these are four of my favorite black metal bands.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
MDF will be back at the building formerly known as Sonar next year.

Maryland Deathfest posted:

We're a day early with this announcement, but we can finally let you know where MDF XI will be taking place.

In a nutshell, we will be returning to the property formerly known as Sonar, and will be at least doubling the amount of outside space that we've been used to utilizing. We realize that it's a bit of a mind gently caress to wait around for a few months just to hear that the fest is returning to the same place, but truth be told, the other places we looked at were either not able to give us a definite answer anytime soon, and/or had too many inconveniences that we did not want to put the fans through. During the venue search, it was brought to our attention that the new owners of the property were willing to collaborate with us, so we decided to go through with returning to a familiar place that is close to the hotels and conveniences of downtown Baltimore.

The additional space outside will allow us to comfortably accommodate the crowd, and will a
llow more room for the MDF vendor village, food vendors/food trucks, places to sit, and other new additions like misting tents to escape the possibility of it being hotter than it should be that weekend. There will be two outside stages plus the stage inside. Due to the new configuration outside, the placement of the outside stages will likely be different.
As for the building itself, there are some renovations currently taking place, but the rooms will be used exactly how they have been in the past, and it will be air conditioned throughout.

We would also like to announce the addition of a second inside stage at Baltimore Soundstage, which is a 1/2 mile walk away from the former Sonar (at 124 Market Place), and will be used from Friday-Sunday. This will be a smaller show without a barricade that will feature mostly hardcore and punk bands, and it will be scheduled in a way that should not conflict with anything going on at the former Sonar compound. All of the bands for this stage will be included in next week's announcement on October 9th.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Ah, the bastard child of Entombed and Discharge. I liked Sentenced to Life, but Heavy Breathing was significantly better for me. They nail that classic Entombed guitar tone.

Black Breath absolutely kills it live and I'd encourage everyone to go if you get a chance.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Turk February posted:

I need to be back at work early on Monday morning so I'll be leaving probably after Visceral Disgorge on Sunday, which I'm not too sad about. I've already seen Phobia and Brutal Truth before, and while they are awesome, I've got responsibilities.

Stick around for Sexcrement. I saw them play after Visceral Disgorge at a tiny dive and they were awesomely fun, even though only about ten people stuck around for them and Defeated Sanity.

video linked for general nsfw-ness

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

The Clit Avoider posted:

So after almost drinking myself to death on a mini-tour with them, ZOM and Gospel of the Horns, I'm gonna recommend everyone checks out Bölzer again. For a two-piece they make an incredible din, and can back it up live.

These guys are great. Do they have any releases? They don't seem to have an m-a page.

e: nvm, forgot the umlaut. Just a demo for now it seems.

Monkeytime fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
I have been loving the Vhol album that came out this month. For those that haven't heard of them, it's the new band from Aesop Dekker of Ludicra and Agalloch, John Corbett and Sigrid Sheie from Hammers of Misfortune, and Mike Schiedt of Yob. Not a lot up on Youtube but here's a link for one of my favorite tracks, "Grace."

Oh hey, here's a video link for another song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g54f9r1B7g