Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals

Gaggins posted:

e: Why do metal music videos always suck? I admittedly don't watch many of them because unnecessary shaky-cam drives me nuts. Can you guys recommend any cool videos? Some cheesiness is okay.

I think this is a cool video and the song is great too. The lyrics are in Finnish though and are obviously important for you to "get" the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob4YJwCnTDw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals
Just got back from Katatonias 20-year anniversary show here in Finland and oh god oh man was that poo poo awesome in every way. Setlist was goddamn amazing, including the encore of some older songs from Dance of December Souls, and Nyström turning out to be quite a showman.

There were some technical problems but they didn't really affect the mood at all. Awesome.

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals

henpod posted:

Waiting for Rammstein to come on stage here in London, some band called Deathstars are playing and they are absolutely loving awful

Hahah, saw the tour here in Finland and thought the exact same thing. The drummer played the same goddamn beat every song, and not at all in a cool simplistic style but more in the unimaginative and boring kind.

Edit: Also, that quiz just made me realize how big of a tool Mustaine really is. I mean I always thought he was a dick, but this... gently caress.

goatse.cx haver fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 26, 2012

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals

QPZIL posted:

Another track off the new Sigh album!!! :aaa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsSvEAqiSTY&noredirect=1

In my opinion, not as good as the others, but just as weird.

This is going to be awesome!

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals

Houseplant posted:

Just have to drop in and say that between the new Aborted, Asphyx, Spawn of Possession and being turned on to Beyond Creation and Augury, this has been a hell of a few weeks for death metal. Thank you to whoever brought up Beyond Creation and similar bands!

The gently caress!? The new Aborted is out already? Why weren't I notified of this. gently caress!

Edit: It was released in loving January? How could I have missed it so completely...

goatse.cx haver fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 7, 2012

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals
Super bummed out that I couldn't get one of those Dodecahedron double vinyls, thanks for reminding me, jerk. :colbert:

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals

The Clit Avoider posted:

I know you're already familiar with Eucharist, A Canorous Quintet, Gates of Ishtar etc, so I'll skip the obvious.

Eh, try early material from The Elysian Fields (plenty of gay interludes and additional keyboards for you too!), Ceremonial Oath, definitely Embracing, Eternal Autumn, Fatal Embrace, Gardenian, Miscreant, Sacrilege (not really unknown at all, but hardly anyone mentions them these days), Thirdmoon, Withered Beauty. The Moaning are possibly worth a visit. Same for A Mind Confused.

And since gothenburg is the topic at hand I'm not missing the opportunity to link the only song on youtube with the words "suicide silence" worth listening to.

I just have to quote this and say that this is why I make sure I check out this thread on a regular basis. I don't know how much metal you have to listen to on a daily basis to know all this, but man you seem like you know every loving band ever. Your recommendations are awesome.

Also please keep arguing so that I may be introduced to yet more quality metal.

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Did you miss ObZen?

Quite an achievement, what with all the hype you still hear about Bleed being the most bestest song forever.

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals

thepitgoddess posted:

Totally voted, this would be amazing and give me a good excuse to go back to Norway...because who WOULDN'T want to fly on a Euronymous plane?

Varg probably?

:downsrim:

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals
Agalloch was great last night! They also seemed to be really just nice and cool guys in general, which was completely not what I was expecting based on things I've read about them (mostly in this thread) being obnoxiously pretentious and kind of being dicks. They came out and shook hands with everyone in the front row after the show, Haughm said some nice things and I even saw Aesop smile which was weird since he mostly looks like hes going to murder his drumkit.

Actually changed my perception of the band quite a bit.

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals

Frank Caskelot posted:

I thought they were boring as gently caress, and I do love their records, especially The Mantle. They just seemed to strip everything that makes them special for me away from their live set. I even began to question if I really like any of their other albums, but now that I've slept on it, I won't go so far. And I can't even remember the last time I've been disappointed with a live gig.

Edit: Did I mention the mixing was atrocious? The drums were so loud they drowned the low end of the guitars, so half the time I wasn't sure what at least one of the guitarists were playing, especially in bits with fast drums. Not to mention Haughm's mic wasn't on for the first 10 minutes or so and then he became more than barely audible during the third or fourth song.

I don't know, I enjoyed it but maybe I was too drunk to know better? I agree about the drums though. The fact that Aesop hits loving hard all the drat time even if it doesn't really fit the part probably made it worse. The bass was also sort of drowning things out. Too few songs off of The Mantle, actually only In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion I guess? but I was kind of expecting that they would mostly be playing faster songs that have more electric guitar and not so much of the acoustic stuff, which is a shame really since they could have pulled those songs off too if they wanted to.

Now you're making me think the gig left more and more to be desired... drat you.

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals
Meh, sounds just like any other band that has a bit of money behind it. Its not really that bad, not something I'd listen to maybe, but I wouldn't decry the whole band as being just "some whore trying to trying to shoehorn her way into the metal scene :rolleyes:" Not saying you guys think that, but its obviously what some people think. Its just marketing, and for a band that's going for this sound its not at all surprising.

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals
Did you know Slayer shirts also often have upside down crosses? Now, that's a scandal!

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals
I'd say Agalloch is definetly worth catching live, but some people disagree so eh...
You could always watch this i guess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SORBdHXvAcU

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Oh FFS my point was not "metal shirt with dodgy imagery omg", my point was "huge UK fashion chain, part of multi-billion retail empire, outlets in every British town, sells item with nazi insignia on it, that's got to be a bad PR move, right?" and I don't get why anyone couldn't understand that.

Chill out man, I wasn't aiming any hostility at you. I'm just fed up with people being so loving offended about everything. Slayer has been using nazi imagery since I can remember. poo poo, I've had a shirt for years with a nazi looking soldier in a gasmask with an iron cross on his helmet and its framed with loving MP40s.

If I owned such a multi-billion retail empire, I might just start printing shirts with late term aborted babies being eaten by crack junkies dressed as priests with swastikas tattooed on their foreheads and a slice of homoeroticism to boot, all out of spite.

Yes, that's what I'd do.

goatse.cx haver fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 5, 2012

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals
That is really really bad. I used to kind of like Korpiklaani :(

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Crle7q4b8U
I was actually kind of mad that I hadn't heard of this before but then I found out that they never even released a full album. gently caress.

Recommendations? Bonus points for black metal vibes.

goatse.cx haver fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals

You sure don't disappoint. Thanks.

Edit:

Been listening to this lately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8po-MN6QlU

Other newer bands that do the old school death metal thing well?

goatse.cx haver fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 6, 2013