Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speewah
May 28, 2011

QPZIL posted:

Yeah, I think the only original member is one of the guitarists, but I may be wrong - they may not have any left. They're pretty terrible compared to how they used to be :/

Grandfathers axe. I'm not the biggest fan of DEP, but I'm a sucker for their lighter stuff. Parasitic Twins off the latest album is easily one of my favourites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speewah
May 28, 2011
For any Aussies looking in here, long time heavy metal stalwart and host of Triple J's The Racket Haugy is doing his last show after ten years on the job. The bloke has done a tremendous job introducing metal to a wider audience and promoting local bands and it will be interesting to see where both Haugy and Triple J go from here.

edit: looks like the decision to leave wasn't his choice, sucks. At least he got to play his own band for once, ABC can't fire him further haha.

Speewah fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 6, 2011

Speewah
May 28, 2011

QPZIL posted:

It took me a while to ponder my list.

At the top is Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestial Lineage by a mile, then...

Boris - Heavy Rocks/Attention Please/New Album (they all came out almost at the exact same time so I'm counting them as one entry)
Earth - Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light vol. 1
Graveyard - Hisingen Blues
YOB - Atma
Crowbar - Sever the Wicked Hand
Leviathan - True Traitor, True Whore
Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction (haters gonna hate)
Taake - Noregs Vaapen
Moonsorrow - Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa

There are 4 bands that are inevitably on all my top 10 lists for any given year: WitTR, Boris, Agalloch, and the Melvins. Some of those bands may be going in weird directions that aren't as metal as they used to be (ahem, Boris), but I still love them. Like the way you'd love a really lovely finger-painting done by your retarded little brother.

edit-- God drat it doesn't feel like albums such as Marrow of the Spirit and Lawless Darkness came out a YEAR ago. I almost had both of those on my list before I realized they were 2010. gently caress, where does the time go?

:stare: When the hell did Crowbar put an album out? I had no clue they were even working on one. I'm gunna take you putting it in your list that is is worth picking up.

Speewah
May 28, 2011
Has anybody heard the Soen album that came out last month? I was curious what peoples opinions are on it.

Speewah
May 28, 2011

Bagsack posted:

I personally really enjoyed it. It's release came as a big surprise to me. I knew Martin Lopez split from Opeth because of health concerns, but in several interviews he stated he wanted to start his own project. I wonder if Soen is really that project he kept talking about. Cognitive has like 3 excellent tracks, 3 good tracks, and the rest is pretty uneventful. I'm only familiar with Lopez and DiGiorgio's work, but the other musicians in Soen seem to be top notch. Naturally, Lopez is on the the drums, so this album has some insanely innovative drum fills and interludes.

edit: Oh, and they sound exactly like Tool, so there's that.

Might have to pick it up. Thanks!

Speewah
May 28, 2011

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Unconventional choice, but my favorite Slayer song was always Dittohead for some reason. The riffs always just reverberated with me really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv5_X_Y5D-0

Hell yeah. I enjoy Slayer, but my favourite is probably their cover of I Don't Want to Hear It

Speewah
May 28, 2011
Where is the best place to start with Dark Throne?

Speewah
May 28, 2011

Gaggins posted:

Transylvanian Hunger imo

Oldstench posted:

A Blaze... and then go chronologically.

Cheers!

Speewah
May 28, 2011

Anus Dei posted:

And Neil Peart. Ho ho.

Since I missed the opening hour of the show the first time around, I had to catch the replay to see if it was any better or worse from the beginning, and I gotta say, Dillinger Escape Plan completely destroyed (literally). Not only did they manage to sound good, there was blood and fire, and they left the stage in kindling. I checked youtube to no avail but I'm certain that performance will be making it there soon.

Also I forgot to mention that Papa Emeritus, in full regalia and with his soft ecclesiastical tones, introduced Danzig. Kooky.

Anthrax was the first to perform and did pretty well too, despite calling Phil Anselmo onstage to do "This Love." (Anselmo recommended Portal in a pre-show interview, which was kind of cool.)

I've never been a massive Anthrax fan, but I was incredibly surprised by their live show when I saw them. Heaps of fun.

Speewah
May 28, 2011
Trap Them goes alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speewah
May 28, 2011
Don't know if this is the right spot but new Russian Circle song is out and is good.